Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Syrian T-62 Mod.72 build
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
Looking like a real tank.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 05:39 AM UTC
Wow Gary! I can't wait to get one of my own.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 05:48 AM UTC
Jesse, and Matt. thanks gentlemen! i hope it turns out as nice as your T-55 Jesse. yours ROCKS!!!

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 10:53 AM UTC
Great job indeed Gary

The only thing which I can say is that if I were you I'd use a wooden stick to render the log.

Nothing can depict better the wood....than the wood itself

Here the log which I'm going to assemble on my T-55 8sorry for the bad quality of the pic)

Anyway, great pregresses I like this build

cheers
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
I'd think about the intended end user of the tank before I put the log on at all. A Syrian tank out in the desert might not have a log. Then again, a standard Russian army tank running through the Urals likely would have one. Just something to think about.
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 11:51 AM UTC
Syria had woods as well, Lebanon
They had the wood anyway, like they had the river crossing devices.

Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartin.com
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd think about the intended end user of the tank before I put the log on at all. A Syrian tank out in the desert might not have a log. Then again, a standard Russian army tank running through the Urals likely would have one. Just something to think about.

That's an educated guess Jesse, but anyway according to the pics some exemplar had the log

Golan heights is a quite arid reason but it isn't exactly a desert

so a log on the tank could be useful
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 04:41 PM UTC
Hi fellas,

I concidered leaving off the log but ive changed my mind. im gonna use the kit log just because ive already worked to improve the looks a bit and scribed some tree rings on the ends. i think it will work ok.

Mauro, where did you aquire that wood? it really looks the part. just look...right!

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 05:30 PM UTC
hi again,

i thought id take a couple picks of my work bench. i never let my space get this cluttered. i usually put things back in the proper drawer when done. but i realized ive been so into this project ive just kinda let it got to sh*t! dont get me wrong im loving this build and i can see more modern tank projects ahead in the future. T-55, T-72, and im likeing the new T-90. but one project at a time and im gonna wrap the build portion up in next day or two. then i can do some primer and paint. whoo hoo!
DSCF1729
DSCF1730

Question? i need some good pics or references on wireing and conduit on the turret. Thanks for any responce!

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 05:58 PM UTC
Well, actually It was quite easy. Is a natural wooden stick. In a garden I've picked up some small branches. From them I've chosen one which was straight enough and which had more or less the right diameter. I cut it to obtain more or less the same lenght of the kit part (the actual log is a natural trunk so you don't have to worry too much about dimensions) . To engrave more its grain I passed on it a jagged kitchen knife then I smoothed it a bit using sandpaper and a steel wool. Eventually I've engraved two notches to allow the assembling to the model. If you can't find a branch which could be useful for your purpose, you can also start from a balsa rod. In this case you'll have to depict the grain using the kitchen knife and you'll have to paint it

I hope this can help you

Cheers

PS Your workbench looks a far tider than mine...I really envy you!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 11:59 PM UTC
Looking good Gary, she is coming together now! I envy the space you have on your workbench. I usually have to projects on the go at once and end up working in a smaller and smaller area as things progress ... then when I'm finished I clean up and the process starts again!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...The only thing which I can say is that if I were you I'd use a wooden stick to render the log.

Nothing can depict better the wood....than the wood itself

I agree. I did this with my T-72 and it really helps to create an authentic looking tank.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi again,

i thought id take a couple picks of my work bench. i never let my space get this cluttered. i usually put things back in the proper drawer when done. but i realized ive been so into this project ive just kinda let it got to sh*t! dont get me wrong im loving this build and i can see more modern tank projects ahead in the future. T-55, T-72, and im likeing the new T-90. but one project at a time and im gonna wrap the build portion up in next day or two. then i can do some primer and paint. whoo hoo!
DSCF1729
DSCF1730

Question? i need some good pics or references on wireing and conduit on the turret. Thanks for any responce!

Gary

Your work bench is quite good let me tell you, I would love to have your dicipline! This bench is well organise that is the least I can say.
Phil
frogman_13
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Gary,

Very nice work overall, I have 2 Trump "62s" in my stash and will use this thread as a reference for sure. The unditching beam on the back of your Syrian tank is quite accurate as the Syrians employed these vehicles in deep mud much as the Russians who supplied them. Even countries such as Egypt which fought in primarily desert conditions kept the beam in place. Here are photos of two different T-62s from the YKW and you can see the beam attached. A bonus in one photo is the location of the tank ID number on the back hull plate.

Cheers !
Ed/ Frogman13
frogman_13
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 03:13 AM UTC
Here's a suggestion about Syrian tanks in YKW. Don't put the spare fuel drums on. The Syrians for the most part did not attach these mainly due to the fire hazard and also because they were sure they wouldn't need them as it was only a short trip from their lines to the edge of the Golan Heights.

Ed/ Frogman
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thanks so much everyone for your comments and support!

Im going to take a look in the back yard for some good candidates for a new log. i have a very small yard but its cramd with thick bushes and small trees so i should find something.

Ill remind myself that when my bench becomes cluttered that it means im focused and having fun!

Thanks Ed for the awsome pics, i love'em. unfortunately the fuel drums are glued permanently and i dont want to risk breaking anything. ill keep that info in my pocket till next i need it.

Thanks!
Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's a suggestion about Syrian tanks in YKW. Don't put the spare fuel drums on. The Syrians for the most part did not attach these mainly due to the fire hazard and also because they were sure they wouldn't need them as it was only a short trip from their lines to the edge of the Golan Heights.

Ed/ Frogman

Well, I think that also Russian if had employed their tanks in real military actions (not during practices) wouldn't have used the extra fuel cells. They learnt a bitter lesson during the ww2 when their T-34 at the beginning caught fire quite easy because of the external reservoirs.

Thanks a million Ed, your pics are incredibly interesting
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 09:57 AM UTC
thanks for the great pics Frogman!

cosy lookin' workplace there G man

Greetz
Brobru
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 12:27 PM UTC
Very nice build and some great photos in this thread!

Gary, I like your work bench but I'm curious of one thing:
What do you have taped to bottle of Tamiya Thin? And what for?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jaroslaw,

thanks for the king words!

i was wondering how long it would take for some one to ask me that.

i have a terrible habbit of spilling my glue. so i taped it to a piece of thick glass to widen the base. havent spilled it at all after that!

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for the great pics Frogman!

cosy lookin' workplace there G man

Greetz

Thanks Pit!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jaroslaw,

thanks for the king words!

i was wondering how long it would take for some one to ask me that.

i have a terrible habbit of spilling my glue. so i taped it to a piece of thick glass to widen the base. havent spilled it at all after that!

Gary

I was thinking of stealing you that trick since the first time saw that taped glue jar!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hi all,

Phil you go right ahead man! i cant even say how much money ive waisted spilling glue, paint, and thinners!

Ive made more progress. its down to the little things. i still need to build the MG, attach wireing and scratch build a couple things but other than that its just adjustments, touchups and the like. i found a couple of good wood candidates in my backyard for the log. anyways, heres some pics.
DSCF1735
DSCF1732
DSCF1733
Thanks for looking!

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil you go right ahead man! i cant even say how much money ive waisted spilling glue, paint, and thinners!

Some time ago I spilled an entire bottle of Tamiya glue (orange cap...the thickest one) on my legs. It happened to me in Summer so I was wearing shorts....it was an incredibly painful hair removal method
...so many thanks for the tip Gary!

Great job Gary! You're incrdibly fast
I can't wait to see the paint session
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 12:40 AM UTC
Looking good Gary, keep it up! Somehow I need to thank you because due to your buildlog I decided to get my hands on my own T-62 (which was on the bench for over a year..)

Looking forward to your painting!

cheers,
Jurjen