Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Syrian T-62 Mod.72 build
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hey Gary

Have you seen?

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/carl_dennis/t-62_model_1972/

It's a new walkaround. Just in time!

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi gentlemen,

John - Thanks man!

hey Phil! - i just sprayed the wheels, no mask. ive got to spray another color on the tracks so thats why i didnt try to be precise. ill have to eventually go back and repaint the tires and touchup the wheels.

Mauro - Sweet walkaround! thanks for the link. well timed indeed!

Gary
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 02:12 PM UTC
That looks really nice. The camo is awesome! I probably missed it, but what is the base coat?
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi gentlemen,

John - Thanks man!

hey Phil! - i just sprayed the wheels, no mask. ive got to spray another color on the tracks so thats why i didnt try to be precise. ill have to eventually go back and repaint the tires and touchup the wheels.

Mauro - Sweet walkaround! thanks for the link. well timed indeed!

Gary

GOD! I was trying to understand how you painted the track without masking and getting so little on the roadwheels...It seems that I've got to improve my skills...ALOT!
Surely that fine aibrush of yours hehe. I got to get a better one than my badger 175

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 03:02 PM UTC
Hey fellas,

Matt - the base coat is 60% XF-60 Dark Yellow and 40% XF-4 Yellow Green and a few drops of X-22 clear.
Thanks for the kind words man.

Phil, theres alot of good airbrushes out there. i chose Iwatas based on reviews and my nephews first hand experience.
i wouldnt trade anything for my Iwatas. gravity feed is the way to go man, IMHO.

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 04:07 PM UTC
OK, I'm sold I'll go with iwata's gravity fed, just give me a month and don't tell my wife
Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I'm sold I'll go with iwata's gravity fed, just give me a month and don't tell my wife
Phil.

Phil, i promise, my lips are sealed. which one do you have your eyes on? heres a link to the first airbrush i purchased.
http://www.merriartist.com/Iwata_Eclipse_Airbrush_p/i-ecl-4500.htm
This air brush is amazing. reliable, easy to clean, and first rate allround airbrush. this web store has free shipping too. its in oregon. my daughter bought my other precision air brush for me last year from the same place.
i would recomend the iwata pistol grip filter. keeps moistuer
out of your spray.
http://www.merriartist.com/Iwata_pistol_grip_filter_p/f-a450.htm

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hi all,

got the future clear coat on and will decal tomorrow night.
DSCF1763
DSCF1764
DSCF1765
Thanks for looking!

Gary
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 06:39 PM UTC
Remember that things like the ammo cans and extra fuel barrels likely would have moved at some point since the camo was sprayed.

Looking good.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 08:51 PM UTC
You've chosen a perfect branch to represent the log

Outstanding job so far
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You've chosen a perfect branch to represent the log

Outstanding job so far

Wish there was a good piece of wood available here. I'm looking at dressing up pieces of bamboo.
frogman_13
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 01:28 AM UTC
Yeah Jesse,
Your right about that. Gary, you might want to detail out the ammo cans in a shade of Russian green as these were add-on items of gear to the tank and do the fuel drums in some generic barrel color (black, blue or whatever you like) as these were frequently replaced.

Otherwise, looks pretty good for a Lebanon war version. I would say that for a Yom Kippur version you should have added spots of grey to the other colors. Not that there weren't two-tone T-62s, (which there most probably were), just that that particular color scheme is more iconic of that war. Here is a nice color pic of a T-55 which shows this scheme very well.

Fact is that most every Syrian tanks end up with so much dust and mud that other than the turret the hull has very little original color showing after time.

Great job.
ED
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Phil.

Phil, i promise, my lips are sealed. which one do you have your eyes on? heres a link to the first airbrush i purchased.
This air brush is amazing. reliable, easy to clean, and first rate allround airbrush. this web store has free shipping too. its in oregon. my daughter bought my other precision air brush for me last year from the same place.
out of your spray.

Gary

The HP C plus look like a good call, any advice on a good all around?

Phil
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 02:31 AM UTC
Good morning all,

Jesse, Ed - I think ill paint the fuel barrels another color. makes lots more sence. Ed, once again, fantastic pics!

Mauro, Matt - I actually used the kit log. i just couldnt get the branches to look the proper scale. i scribed tree rings on the ends. i think its ok.

Phil - I think that is a fabulous choice. large color cup when primeing and base coating and a small needle for those precision jobs. it also has the pre-set nob on the end of the handle for more control of the paint flow when preshadeing or fine line work for camo. you choose that airbrush you will not be dissapointed.

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 02:49 AM UTC
Good job on that log Gary. Fooled me, I was sure you tooked that out of the garden
The fuel drum color is indeed a good idea it will give more life to it, and more paint tips for me hehe.

Phil.
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 03:31 AM UTC
Gary, can I ask what the little green piece on the copper wire for the fuel lines are? How did you model that? I've seen others use styrene an I'm not sure how try do that either. If you or anyone as some advice I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 03:46 AM UTC
Garyloveing the camo can't wait to see the weathering
Dave
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Phil.

out of your spray.

Gary

The HP C plus look like a good call, any advice on a good all around?

Phil

Phil,

The HP C+ is the airbrush I have. I have no complaints. It's excellent.
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 04:32 AM UTC
I've the Iwata hp-b+ and it is, without a doubt, the best brush I've ever used. It's do fine I post shade aircraft freehand!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 05:34 AM UTC
Thanks guys!
Now gotta get some good money and a good excuse for the wifw Hmmmm, She did not buy me a birthday gift this year... Well that turn up fast Yeahh

Phil
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC
My trick was to play up the longevity of Iwata. If maintained they pretty well last forever. And, if you buy online, theyre not that much. I got mine with a hose for less than $200.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 09:46 AM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

got the future clear coat on and will decal tomorrow night.

Looks like a brand new tank parked at the dealership!

Gary, Jesse, Phil and Anthony, thanks for the postings, interaction, results (masterfully painted tank) and feedback on the airbrush issue it was thoroughly covered enough to warrant a purchse. After an extensive net search for an Iwata airbrush together with the whole burrito of extras including free shipping I settled on MerriArtist.com, thanks Gary, for my airbrush. Ordered the Iwata HP C+ Airbrush, along with their 10’ hose (current hose I’ve been using is still good but too short in length at 6’) and their quick-change hose-to-airbrush adapter, tired of making masking tape gaskets, at that connection.

Now I’ll need to rely to my SWABO a really good reason for purchasing this new toy, so the burden is on you Gary! Your tank had better look killer when it’s finished or I’ll be looking like one of those damaged and destroyed T-62's that Ed's been posting and I'll be eating a lot of honey-do’s (a lot bigger than any burrito you'll ever see). I know you’ll come through!

~ Eddy
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 04:49 PM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

Been out of town all day and thought id check in before bed time. so i didnt get anything done on the T-62.

Anthony - i used wire insulator for the fuel line rubber connecting hose. it required a tiny size wire. i had a see through hand calculator and saw the tiny wires inside so i busted it open and salvaged the wire. all i did was strip the green rubber isulation of about an inch at a time and pulled the wires out. i then would cut a piece the length i wanted and with a new exacto blade sliced one side of it and just sliped it on over the wire fuel line with a touch of superglue to hold it in place so i could attatch the clamps.
Man! i hope that made sense. its been a long day!

David - Thanks for the compliments!

Jesse, Phil - just want to say hi fellas and thanks for following along its great fun!

Eddy - Congrats on the new airbrush! thats a sweet deal you got there. you wont regret it at all.
I not sure what SWABO means but it sounds serious. Eddy i hope i do you proud! i surely dont want the AB purchase to come back and bite you in the ass. And i know the honey do's can bee quite brutal if you make the wife/girlfriend upset.
I wont let you down man!
once i get the ammo can colors and the fuel barrel colors adressed and re cleared coated ill do my pin wash then maybe a filter. after i flatcoat, the show room finish will be no more. she will start her journey to getting beat up and battle hardened. and hopefully ill wind up with something special and Eddy youll be off the hook.

Thanks all,
Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mauro, Matt - I actually used the kit log. i just couldnt get the branches to look the proper scale. i scribed tree rings on the ends. i think its ok.

Well, you have painted it in an otstanding way...it looks real
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:39 AM UTC
Beautiful work, Gary. My questions are primarily around your use of Tamiya lacquer thinner. You've answered several of them already, but here's a few more if you don't mind:

1. Is a 3:1 ratio of thinner to paint your standard ratio or do you vary it with what you're painting? I used lacquer thinner this afternoon for the first time in the reverse ratio, but even at that lower level of dilution the paint flowed better than it ever has with Tamiya's acrylic thinner.
2. What pressure do you normally spray at? I realize results vary depending on your airbrush, etc. ... just curious.
3. How do you clean up your airbrush afterwards? Just spray lacquer thinner until it shoots clear and then run some distilled water through it?

As for what I'm working on, it's Dragon's 1/350 scale USS Laffey. Nice kit but classic Dragon in terms of the instructions. At least they're consistent.