_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Т-80 БВ and a lot of patience..
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:19 AM UTC

Hi everyone,

I'm modelling since childhood, my father used to build model aircrafts, and my grandfather was a soldier (artillery colonel), so I was very interested in land vehicles, particularly in tanks, I was going to watch the tanks at parades even I was 5 or 6 years old (M-47 or M-48 in that day here in Turkey).

Anyways, I'm kinda tank nerd (I know you all know what I mean), I'm following, searching, looking for information about tanks and their models every single day. I have a lot of finished/unfinished models and a mid-size stash.

This will be my first share of my work here in Armorama, and I want it to be a build log. All people who is interested in Soviet/Russian armor models knows that there is not an accurate model of T-80, so I wanted to try build one. Just try..

These are the items what I'm using:
Zvezda T-80 BV
Eduard photoetched set for T-80 MBT
SP Designs T-80 roadwheels
SP Designs T-80 tracks
MR Models T-80 detailing set
RB Model 125mm L/48 metal barrel
Masterclub, MIG Productions and Eduard bolts&rivets
Lots of sheet styrene and putty
Lots of home made scratch building material
Lots and lots of spare time and patience..

So, here we go...

CC
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC
I started to build the main kit some time ago, I wanted to start with the upper hull first. The kit's upper hull has crisp details but these are very inaccurate, engine deck was a disaster, so I cut it, I will use MR Models engine deck with the Eduard grills later. Fuel tanks are wrong sized and wrong shaped, I will be scratch build them, along with the sponson boxes..

I cleaned some other surface details, I will scratch build them too..

CC
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:38 AM UTC
I look forward to the build!

I had the kit in my stash along with most the AM stuff you are using, but in the end just decided I couldn't be bothered and got rid of it all. I went for the SP Designs T-80u M1985 instead, much less hassle haha.

I don't know if you are aware as well, but there was some discussion a while back about how the Miniarm T-64 turret could be modified a little to create a T-80BV turret, this might be easier than trying to correct the kit turret.
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know if you are aware as well, but there was some discussion a while back about how the Miniarm T-64 turret could be modified a little to create a T-80BV turret, this might be easier than trying to correct the kit turret.

Hi Rob,

I opened a topic about correct shape of T-80 BV turret couple of months ago, when I was trying to find a way to correct the kit's "fantastic" turret , . Or do you talking about something else?

Regards,

CC
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 03:05 AM UTC
It was on Armorama, but I can't remember which discussion (the T-80 doesn't appeal to me as much as the T-72, so I tend not to follow all the debates) but I think it was pointed out that the T-64 turret is a similar shape to the T-80B. I think so details need to be changed, but it might be easier than correcting the kit turret.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 03:50 AM UTC
Rob is correct about using a t-64 turret to make a t-80B. The T-64/80 are cousins, so you can take the miniarm T-64 turret and modify it to make a T-80.

Here is what Jacques Duquette had posted on the shape of the T-80 turret in a past topic
"The closest thing to a proper T-80B turret out there is the Miniarm T-64B turret. It is not a perfect match, but very close to a standard T-80B turret, it would be a good base to start from. Add ERA for a T-80BV turret.

There are NO good T-80B drawings,diagrams, or blueprints our there. The M-hobby drawings are supposedly good, but they are nearly mythical in not being available.

I did the research when I was not working so I had a lot of free time to look over the timelines, specs, and available information. I will admit that I might be wrong BUT my thoughts (on the link noted in previous posts) are as complete as anything I have seen postulated since (even from Mr. Zaloga). The T-80B is still a active tank in Russian service, and the Russians are naturally secretive...but I am honestly perplexed as to why there is no good set of drawings, or a good model of, the T-80B.

(I am slowly working on a master of the T-80B to be released in resin, but this may take a while longer...been a VERY busy year and my kids are starting to hit teen-age-age, meaning lots of activites and drama...sigh. )

As for MOST T-80B drawings, they are based on Steve Zaloga's work for the DOD in the 1980's based on satellite images. Good for then, but inaccurate now.

Hope that helps out somewhat."
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the T-64 turret is a similar shape to the T-80B. I think so details need to be changed, but it might be easier than correcting the kit turret.

Basic turret shape is same, you are right. But it is too late, I already reshape the Zvezda's turret, I will share the photos, it was a real surgery ..

CC
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are NO good T-80B drawings,diagrams, or blueprints our there. The M-hobby drawings are supposedly good, but they are nearly mythical in not being available.

Hi Christopher,

I have the M-Hobby drawings, they are good, but in my opinion they are inaccurate too, I have tons of T-80 BV reference photos thanks to Grzegorz, who is owner of this topic. The M-hobby drawings and the real vehicle not matching..
I will build my BV based on mainly reference photos..

Thanks for the information,

Regards...

CC
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob is correct about using a t-64 turret to make a t-80B. The T-64/80 are cousins, so you can take the miniarm T-64 turret and modify it to make a T-80.

I will give it a shot for my turret, I will try to completely reshape it, I am enjoying this madness right now. If I will fail to reshape or lose my patience and nerves, I will order the Miniarm's T-64 turret (it is perfect by the way)...

CC
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 04:46 AM UTC
Glad to help out. You have alot of work ahead for you, but sound like fun. I have a T-80UDK I keep putting off due to the amount of scratch building needed. I try to scratch build as much as I can, but sometime you just can't get away from having to buy aftermarket parts.

Look forward to watching this build

Cheers
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 04:51 AM UTC
You would need more than a lot of patience! I really admire your braveness and I'll follow this job
A question. Considering that you deeply modified the hull, haven't would it better totally scratch building it taking details from the Zvezda kit?

Probably you've already downloded these references but anyway

Here lots of pictures

http://army.lv/ru/t-80/foto/631/15#info

Here 4 PDF books

http://army.lv/ru/t-80/faili/631/15#info

here the interesting link were I found the references

http://army.lv/ru/t-80/harakteristiki/631/15#info

I'm waiting for progresses of your job

Have a good luck and good job

cheers
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Considering that you deeply modified the hull, haven't would it better totally scratch building it taking details from the Zvezda kit?

Hi Mauro,

Good question, I really consider it before I started, seem to be easy as you thought but I decide this way. Despite the many inaccuracies, Zvezda's upper hull is strong as base of this kind of project and shape like a T-80, I was afraid that if I scratch a hull it could not strong as the original, multiple styrene sheets may distort when using putties including "toluene"..

And Zvezda's hull is more accurate than it's details. They are wrong, misplaced and sometimes rough..

I have some of the photos you shared, but don't know the website, it is a great help, thanks a lot..

It's good to see you here...

CC
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC
I'm really glad to help you

here some very exhaustive walkarounds

http://photo.qip.ru/users/coast70/150432298/

http://photo.qip.ru/users/coast70/150152892/

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=2003

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=825

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=826

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=822

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=880

If I find something else I'll give you the link for sure

cheers
floggerspam
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
I am building this exact same model. I cut and fit styrene
between the clam shells so I can omit the dust skirts and have detailed track. I am using Chechyn photos for references. I have learned a great deal from these photos.

Please keep posting your progress. I will post mine soon when finished. I am not very cyber savy.

Cheers,
John
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

here some very exhaustive walkarounds

Again I have not some of them..
You are really helpful, thanks Mauro...

CC
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:29 AM UTC

This link is a perfect and very detailed reference..

CC
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:55 AM UTC
I decided to raise the height of the hull and the sponson boxes/fuel tanks a little bit based on the reference photos. For this I'm using 0.5 mm polystrene sheet..

I put the part there temporarily, a kind of dry fit..

CC
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
You are such a brave man!

Nice progress so far. I guess the second you put the finished model on your shelf, after months of toil, Trumpeter will announce their new line of T-80 models.
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice progress so far. I guess the second you put the finished model on your shelf, after months of toil, Trumpeter will announce their new line of T-80 models.

Or a fool..

Really I'm trying hard to be accurate, Zvezda isn't helping much..
I'm sure Trumpeter or someone else announce the kit when I finished this, but one way or another I'll be happy, because this will be my model...

CC
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Or a fool..

Really I'm trying hard to be accurate, Zvezda isn't helping much..
I'm sure Trumpeter or someone else announce the kit when I finished this, but one way or another I'll be happy, because this will be my model...

CC

Well yes, as you say, once its complete you can be proud to have an accurate T-80 model. I really wish someone at least did some extensive aftermarket for the T-80, like Miniarms T-72 stuff. The T-80 isn't my favourite tank, but the BV's in Chechnya look really cool. Alas for the moment i'll have to stick with building 72's, and they aren't easy!

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This link is a perfect and very detailed reference..

CC

Would you like some interior pisc?

http://btvt.narod.ru/5/80inside/80inside.htm

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 03:02 PM UTC
Hi Cagkan,

Man i dont know anything about the T-80 but i want to learn aswell. I learned so much from these guys on my T-62 so a know you are in good hands with them. My soviet/russian post WWII armored vehicle interest are in high gear now. So I would like to follow along. I dont want to highjack your thread but if i also have a question on the T-80, may i ask it? Good luck on your build man!!!

Gary
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I dont want to highjack your thread but if i also have a question on the T-80, may i ask it?

Welcome aboard Gary

Please feel free to ask whatever you want in this thread to Soviet/Russian armor experts here..

Regards

CC
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:16 PM UTC
Brave...brave? This man is quite clearly insane... ! T-80 is a tank I like and I have one of the Zvezda kits in the stash so this build is right up my street! I wish you the best of luck with it Cagkan- the progress so far is rather amazing.
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brave...brave? This man is quite clearly insane... ! T-80 is a tank I like and I have one of the Zvezda kits in the stash so this build is right up my street! I wish you the best of luck with it Cagkan- the progress so far is rather amazing.

You may be right about my insanity..
I just want to develop my skills, particularly in scratchbuilding, for future projects.. Because of that I'm working hard on this kit...

CC
 _GOTOTOP