This old house
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'm even more excited to see the house on the left once it's built! It's going to look fantastic once it's finished.

I am still toying with the scene but I think the building on the left will stay as is basically. I think it looks pretty medievel? The structure on the right is already changed and I am leaning toward a city gate to the right of that.
I may be drawn and quartered though,as I will not be finishing the insides of rooms that will never be seen nor will I be finishing the backs of these buildings(so far).
Still undecided as to weather that heresy will be commited.
J
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 01:15 PM UTC
Jerry, I've been so busy on other threads I neglected the dio pages. You have a gift and I will follow your progress.
Dave
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hi Jerry,

I've been watching form afar as they say, excellent work indeed.

Al
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 06:02 PM UTC
That's exactly why I love the proposed, left house! The gate also sounds interesting Jerry, either way I can't wait to see what you post next.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Dave and Al for looking in and taking the time to comment. Chris,I love the medievel stuff as well. I had an extensive photo album that I had compiled while living in Germany. Alas it fell victim to mu divorce and I have no idea what happened to it. I find solace on the internet where there is a plethora of cool buildings pics.
When I go to Telford this year I am hoping to get in a little of the English medievel scene. Had no chance last time.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 06:51 AM UTC
Decided that a city wall gate tower was in order

And ground level
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 08:05 AM UTC
Looks like most of the mid-size German towns that I remember. My dad was US Army and we were stationed in German for four years. Always remember parking outside the large gates and walking into town.

Sorry about your photos, and divorce.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi Jerry. The new buildings look very promising. Looking forward to more updates.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 10:15 PM UTC
Thats a lot of buildings! I love the shape of things thus far, it looks very natural. Good luck with it Jerry!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like most of the mid-size German towns that I remember. My dad was US Army and we were stationed in German for four years. Always remember parking outside the large gates and walking into town.

Sorry about your photos, and divorce.

Ah yes,old news now but it always stays with you.
I lived in Germany 6 years while in the Army and got to see a lot of Germany and Europe in general. Priceless experience.
Nothing like Rothenberg Ob Der Tauber or Nordlingen or Dinklesbuhl to pique ones' interest. Or a drive along the Rhine through the Robber Barons' castles stretch and seeing the Marksburg.I have been searching the google earth site for something like that in England and so far have come up short.
During my visit to Telford I was hoping to take in some of those sites.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry. The new buildings look very promising. Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks Frank,
Still not sure where to go with this one. It is sort of taking on a life of its' own,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats a lot of buildings! I love the shape of things thus far, it looks very natural. Good luck with it Jerry!

Thanks as always for looking in buddy!
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC
The layout kind of reminds me of the late war news reels & photos from the Eastern Front, with the Germans using whatever they can to defend towns that looked like this. If you haven't really picked a scene for it, maybe that's somewhere to take it?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The layout kind of reminds me of the late war news reels & photos from the Eastern Front, with the Germans using whatever they can to defend towns that looked like this. If you haven't really picked a scene for it, maybe that's somewhere to take it?

I am actually leaning towards a post war theme.
J
Jenseits
Visit this Community
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 213 posts
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC
-watching- this is good work..
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

-watching- this is good work..

Thanks Nic,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 10:49 AM UTC
Small update on the city gate or the mittelaltlicher stadtor. This is the mildew covered north side.

On ward and upward!Weathering still not done though
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 07:14 AM UTC
City is growing

Still a lot to do on the middle dwelling,windows,etc. Not happy with the door so far.
J
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 05:07 AM UTC
Ths has got me wondering if I should try something similar. I've never attempted anything so ambitious. Did you use a template or have a visual reference for the placement of the beams? I am already thinking that I could use basswood instead of balsa wood and Weather-it as I did on my barn. The plaster part of the wall looks to be the hardest part to do. Was it?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ths has got me wondering if I should try something similar. I've never attempted anything so ambitious. Did you use a template or have a visual reference for the placement of the beams? I am already thinking that I could use basswood instead of balsa wood and Weather-it as I did on my barn. The plaster part of the wall looks to be the hardest part to do. Was it?

Thanks for looking in,
I lived in Germany for 6 years and Italy for about 8 months so I got a lot of education on these old buildings to call from. Also some good books and the internet.
I find that the balsa wood is too flimsy to work with using my ham hands. I only have to stain the bass wood with medium gray and then reddish brown. The key to the old houses is the beams are rarely all straight but you can find a lot from 1700 forward that ARE straight.
My challenge here is making houses from the middle ages that have been updated with middle century windows,etc.
The plaster is tedious to scribe,yes,and you have to be careful to follow simple rules of real masonry construction or it won't fool the eye,which is the point of all miniature making after all?
Your barn is lookin real good!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 07:08 AM UTC
Added the windows,drain pipe(clogged with leaves of course)and some general weathering.

And closer
Snert24
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi Jerry
Absolut fantastic work!!! looks so real....
Greetings- Swen
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi Jerry, very well done! Will a castle be next? :-)

While it is really ok now, i think you could have gotten a better visual effect (more 3-dimensional) by scribbing more deeply your stone pattern.
Are you planning a wash over the whole surface to deepen the contrast? You may first seal the wall on the surface and add the wash who will then only fill the space between the stones.

Maybe you can still add some beams on the ceiling in the inside of the tower to satisfy those who will eventually inspect your work (in case your going to go to an expo)

Claude

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 06:24 PM UTC
Still looks fantastic; thought the tower looked a bit to green when you first posted it but next-to/connected to the other houses it looks perfect. Guessing roadwork is up next? Very excited to see how it comes out.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 08:19 PM UTC
very nice and realistic work, congratulations!