Hosted by Darren Baker
This old house
Jenseits
Visit this Community
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 213 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 12:37 AM UTC
Quite good and very interesting work as well, I really like the contrast between the massive block and its crumpled side, this is quite a good bit of work (again) ..
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite good and very interesting work as well, I really like the contrast between the massive block and its crumpled side, this is quite a good bit of work (again) ..

Thanks Nik! Coming from an artist such as yourself,it means a lot.
J
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hi Jerry. Gets better and better all the time. The architecture captures the medevil structures nicely, but your attention to stone shapes and how they were built is great. Lots of effort but thats what gives the authentic appearance and why we drool.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry. Gets better and better all the time. The architecture captures the medevil structures nicely, but your attention to stone shapes and how they were built is great. Lots of effort but thats what gives the authentic appearance and why we drool.

Exactly!
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
Jerry - Really enjoy viewing your progress! Keep it coming.
I'm wondering what's next with this great overall work.
Dave
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks as always Frank,
Nice to have all of that engraving work be complimented. Practice makes perfect(still a long way to go for that) but I think you can see the later buildings in this dio get a little better than the first one? Hope so anyway,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Exactly!

Ditto Chris,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry - Really enjoy viewing your progress! Keep it coming.
I'm wondering what's next with this great overall work.
Dave

It's hard to tell how it will end up as I never had a goal to begin with! This started as a way to keep me occupied when my eyelids got infected and detail work was just too bothersome for me to do.
Next building up will be an "Alte Schmiede"(old smithy) and it will be the first building that I will do using an example from real life drawn from one of my favorite buildings in Rotenberg ob der Tauber.
If you enjoy time traveling,be sure to visit this wonderful spot in Germany at least once. I went 3 times!
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:43 AM UTC
It's timeless Jerry!

As a walled town, it does indeed remind me of Rotenberg, especially the tower and gate.

However, the half-timber houses made me think of some of the small towns in Lohheida around the Bergen-Hohne training area. Those were all dolled up with bright white and lots of blue paints with little window boxes full of flowers (when we passed through and around).

The town of Celle...

Of course, you could paint murals on the upper-story walls and put them in the Alps, too!

Your time building dios and figures for museums is starting to show, my friend!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's timeless Jerry!

As a walled town, it does indeed remind me of Rotenberg, especially the tower and gate.

However, the half-timber houses made me think of some of the small towns in Lohheida around the Bergen-Hohne training area. Those were all dolled up with bright white and lots of blue paints with little window boxes full of flowers (when we passed through and around).

The town of Celle...

Of course, you could paint murals on the upper-story walls and put them in the Alps, too!

Your time building dios and figures for museums is starting to show, my friend!

I will actually be putting some window boxes and minor embellishments on the houses but not as much as your pic as I want to get the slight ly depressed look of right after the war. Worn paint,etc but still tidy. The Germans were always tidy,even amidst the rubble!
Thanks for the kind words and the cool pic. I also saw the painted houses with murals etc,around Garmisch-Partenkirchen. A little over the top for my taste but quaint.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

the vines look terrific and add that certain something!
Should you ever need fotos of Rotenburg's walls and fortifications, just let me know! I've got a couple of hundred my wife took for me when I was working on my Lützen project!

Keep up the great work m8!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

the vines look terrific and add that certain something!
Should you ever need fotos of Rotenburg's walls and fortifications, just let me know! I've got a couple of hundred my wife took for me when I was working on my Lützen project!

Keep up the great work m8!!

Cheers

Romain

I also have a lot of pix of Rotenberg but could always use more! Thanks for the offer.
Forgive my ignorance but what is your Lutzen project?
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have a lot of pix of Rotenberg but could always use more! Thanks for the offer.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing my Lützen project! :-))
I have a lot of pics, but I don't want to annoy anybody with posting them. If however you want to see them, just send me an email to [email protected] and I will send attachments.

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There is nothing wrong with not knowing my Lützen project! :-))
I have a lot of pics, but I don't want to annoy anybody with posting them. If however you want to see them, just send me an email to [email protected] and I will send attachments.

Cheers

Romain

I did enjoy the pics you sent and would still like any pics that you may have on Rotenberg
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC
Quiz for my modeling friends in Europe. This is my newest building in progress and the only one I have done so far that is modeled on a real building. Any guesses as to where it is?
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC
Strasbourg or Colmar(France) ?

Anyway, superb work. Looks a bit small, but as you copied the real thing it is what it is.

What a clean desk!! :-)

Have a nice weekend

Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strasbourg or Colmar(France) ?

Anyway, superb work. Looks a bit small, but as you copied the real thing it is what it is.

What a clean desk!! :-)

Have a nice weekend

Claude

Thanks for looking in my friend. You have the correct continent but wrong country. Yes,it is a small building. I altered the shape slightly as the original gets wider at the back to conform to the medievel street that it was built on. Otherwise,it is pretty close to the original.
Clean desk!! Ha!! It just so happens that you are viewing the very recent results of a clean up day instigated by my lovely girlfriend. She shamed me into polishing my act.(it was a pretty disgusting area to work in,I must admit).
Hope you have a super weekend as well in Clerv' miniaturmodelbauwelt!!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC
Here is a small update. The new building for those that guessed was based on one in Rothenberg Ob Der Tauber. I did not go for an exact copy as my version needed to be more weather beaten and neglected from the post war era.
The one on the right is the old smithy as it appears today in clean shiney Rothenberg. Lovely place to visit.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:43 PM UTC
The shrinking of the windows is IMO a bit to much, but otherwise this is certainly a very good copy and modeling work.
Perhaps you should have opted for a radical changement regarding the windows and do one single one, standard size, in the middle?

I like the front part of the roof. Well done

Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The shrinking of the windows is IMO a bit to much, but otherwise this is certainly a very good copy and modeling work.
Perhaps you should have opted for a radical changement regarding the windows and do one single one, standard size, in the middle?

I like the front part of the roof. Well done

Claude

You are correct of course about the window size. I based my model on this building but I never set out to make an exact copy. The original also gets a lot wider at the rear,to conform to the street.
A lot of these old old houses had the windows expanded in later days as people now like more sunlight and glass is easy to buy.
I was going for a sort of run-down look from the post war period before this building was modernized and painted,etc.
Very good eye you have Claude,but of course,I knew that from looking at your masterwork for so long!!!
Thanks for posting as there doesn't seem to be much of that here lately.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 06:51 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

you are right about windows having been gradually enlarged. Not entirely "koscher", but..it's not the only architectural "sin" in Rothenburg!!

Yours looks just great though!!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

you are right about windows having been gradually enlarged. Not entirely "koscher", but..it's not the only architectural "sin" in Rothenburg!!

Yours looks just great though!!!

Cheers

Romain

Thanks again Romain,for looking n. Yes,Rothenberg has some touristy things but it still looks pretty good. Most of the stuff that doesn't look right is because of repairs made soon after WWII. During the last weeks of the war the British made a "payback" visit to the tourist town and about 20% of the town received bomb damage. You can see the modern stonework on some of the towers for instance. Back to the grind! Have to cast more roof tiles.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
Smalll up date. Did some work on the old smithy and here is how it fits in my scene.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 12:43 AM UTC
WOW!!!!!!

Amazing!!

Congrats my friend for a real achievement!!

Only one "complaint" .....MORE photos please!

Cheers

Romain
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 02:04 AM UTC
Jerry the houses all together look stunning- they create a great atmosphere and have plenty of character- but as Romain said- more pictures please!!