Hosted by Darren Baker
This old house
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 02:50 AM UTC
Extremely sorry for the bump. I wanted to show this to my sister for the holidays.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
Wanted a new challenge so I spent a few hours on a new way for me to make trees. The trunk and branches are from John Hoenig and the leaves are lazercut from a Japanese company. I still have to do the top of the tree but....not too bad.
It sets off the buildings and stonework very well I think.

I used one whole sheet for the bottom so will need almost another whole sheet to finish the top.
My personal best for a deciduous tree anyway.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC

just came across your thread.
All I can say is WOW.
It's been over a year in the works, such a labor of love.
Dave
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC

Hi m8!

it's already 2014 over here ..and you're next!

The tree looks great...from a certain distance (which is probably true for every possible method). I find it fits nicely in the surrounding. It is not a wild forest tree, but rather a domesticated version for townspeople.

I am not sure if I like these paper plants, but I've bought some from Fredericus Rex for the HUE dio, and I will judge on the effect (great=I like ,poor=I don't)

Thanks for sharing this progress on your "Old House" project.

Have a fantastic year my friend!

Cheers

Romain

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 01:43 PM UTC
Nice tree Jerry. John's (The Senic Factory) products are really top notch, I can't imagine adding each leaf individually though.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 03:32 PM UTC
@Dave-welcome aboard Sir!! Thanks for the nice words
@Romain-I am not completely satisfied with the paper either but I can't find anything better. At least so far.
Happy New Year to you as well buddy
@Christopher-thanks for the kind words. The paper leaves actually come in bunches of twigs with about 10 leaves per bunch. You have to paint them,then I bend the leaves a bit as leaves are rarely straight. I then bend the twigs down too. You also get individual leaves to fill in spots that need it. Very tedious but like I said,nothing better so far. I am still learning and nowhere near as good as somebody like Comte Claude.
J
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 03:49 PM UTC
I think its on the right track but like Romain I am not a big fan of the paper leaves either. I know your not into airbrushing but I think if you sprayed around a little at the end with a diluted paint mixture it would blend it together (it may be the paint you used but it has a little bit of a plastic look) As I have said before unfortunately there just isn't anything out there truly realistic for modeling a green deciduous tree. I have a natural green leaf(real)that I have been working on that matches the 1/35 scale, preserved with glycerin, that is looking promising but again its an individual leaf. Jerry lets see when you finish the top, maybe its the way I'm looking at it.
- John
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hi Jerry, Hi all, Happy New Year!

Regarding the tree, first, it's like I wrote in the book, and as John said, you should judge when all is done.

Those leaves are a compromise, they look not to bad, but probably a bit out of scale. There are also not enough to make it look really real :-)

There is another point Jerry, same as your trees on the other project. Where are the twigs of the tree? They do not exist and you do not have some to hang more leaves on!

I think you should revisit that point of your tree making. Don't be minimalistic!

How's that for a New Year wish?

Greets
Claude
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hello Jerry ,

happy New Year buddy !

With the tree is nothing wrong IMHO ! The story is about the old house. People sometimes forget that a diorama must have a story and not so much about how realistic everything should look like .

Cheers ,
Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks for looking in fellas. I think what is going on here is as I get older I am loosing my patience more every day. I know there is more work to do on this tree and it does need more leaves and twigs,etc. Problem is.... I need a tree and I need it aber zack zack!! Like the NCO in my last dio,I don't wanna wait.
So,I think Kurt nailed my viewpoint. I want to tell a story and not get bogged down in the details too much . I do have a history of loosing interest in things.
I really would like to make better trees though. Decisions decisions.
Oh well. I have plenty to eat and a warm place to sleep and no one is shooting at me so I will keep it all in perspective.
Back to the drawing board.
J
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

People sometimes forget that a diorama must have a story and not so much about how realistic everything should look like .

Cheers ,
Kurt

I don't want to derail Jerry's tread, but this is certainly wrong.
The more realistic, the better. That is IMO the whole point of a diorama.
In your philosophy it would be all right to put in cheap Christmas decoration trees (for example) as long as the story is ok. No way!

I accept Jerry's argument that he simply does not want to go further or does not have the time or the patience or whatever the reason might be for any one else, that 's everyone's interpretation of the hobby and dedication to a task, everybody's choice, but to simply say it is not important, then, frankly, I don't know what we are all doing on this message board.

Nice rant for a 1st January

Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
Kurt and Claude. I find myself somewhere in between your two viewpoints. I do agree detail is important and Claue is correct in that sense. What are we doing here if it wasn't important?
But in my case a lot of what I do I put down as "impressionistic:. If it is not really really important to the scene then I don't spend as much time on it.
On my last dio I gave the impression of trees in winter. Maybe I should have spent more time on them but the point was made?
That being said,I do want to be able to make a decent tree.
I ran out of leaves but did manage to get more bulk and density. I think I screwed up on the trunk in certain places because it was too thick and there should be more twigs and leaves. Learning process. I am getting the hang of it slowly and I think these things are the best way to go until I see something better? Experimentation comes next?
I disagree with Claude about the scale of the leaves. Here is the old man for a comparison. Leaves look OK to me.

I took Claudes' advice and used stretched out pieces of hard sponge to give some bulk to glue the leaf clusters to. Big improvement but I must practice.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Judging a scale is difficult from a few thousand miles away, so I defer to you to have the last word.
The tree looks not bad now indeed, compared to the height it may even be to full now! LOL

It should please the eye, that's the main goal we should have, I think you reached that goal, so all is good.

Claude

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hello Jerry ,

your the boss . I just admire your work because it has for me the ideal combination or balance between making a good story and a perfect build .

Nevertheless , a cheap tree can be perfect if the family is happy ,because they don't care as long as they can celebrate christmas together . That's the true story about Christmas in my opinion. Agree Mister Claude ?

Greetings ,
Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
@Claude- Not bad but I can still do better I think. I am getting the basics down. I still think the trunk is too big near the top and makes it look like there should be more height and breadth. What do you think? Now that I am getting some basics down I can plan better in the future? Nowhere near that willow tree you built,that's for sure.
@Kurt-thanks for the kind words my brother from a different mother. Now can't we just all get along? I hate to see a war between the Benelux!!
J
Removed by original poster on 01/01/14 - 21:07:02 (GMT).
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:14 AM UTC

Tree is much better and I'm glad you've invested more time!

Believe me there is no war in Benelux.

Such an issue could never cause a war, just give us room to express our points of view! And may they differ a lot!!

But Claude is right, a little pointier/rounder on the top maybe....! Forget it, just tell the gardiner to watch it when he trims the trees!

Cheers and best wishes for 2014!

Romain
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC
Of course we all get allong Jerry, just a little discussion going on. Finished now

Romain is right by the way !

Cheers

Kurt
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nevertheless , a cheap tree can be perfect if the family is happy ,because they don't care as long as they can celebrate christmas together . That's the true story about Christmas in my opinion. Agree Mister Claude ?

Greetings ,
Kurt

LOL, was there even a tree in the Christmas story?

Claude
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Happy New Year to you.

It's been a while since I looked in on this one, excellent progress. If I could make a tree like that I'd be really happy, foliage is not a strong point with me.

I love the concept through the arch and look forward to further developments this coming year.

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
@Claude and Kurt-Happy that war has been averted in the Benelux-film at eleven!!
Nope,no tree in the old story. I think that was an add-on from central europe? I believe Queen Victorias' husband brought that idea with him from Germany? Interesting how Christmas has evolved over the centuries. The wise mens' giving of gifts has morphed into a mid winter orgy of mindless overspending and breathless waiting for a mythical figure to jump down the chimney. And now we are even being encouraged by the same stores that profit from this excess not to call it Christmas?
Rambling thoughts of a sad old man that has way too much time alone to think of these things! Heeheehee.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

Happy New Year to you.

It's been a while since I looked in on this one, excellent progress. If I could make a tree like that I'd be really happy, foliage is not a strong point with me.

I love the concept through the arch and look forward to further developments this coming year.

Cheers

Al

Thanks for the kind words Alan,

I have a new plan that involves the view through the gate. I am not so happy with the first house I made. I don't like the angles on the double pitch roof. The bottom is not OK to my eye. So instead of re-making it I think I will move it to behind the gate as in one of the previous piccies. Most gates I saw in Germany were no longer at the entrence to town anymore as the town had grown up around them so this would be logical for sure and add more interest I hope?

Happy new year to you and all as well,
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Claude and Kurt-Happy that war has been averted in the Benelux-film at eleven!!
Nope,no tree in the old story. I think that was an add-on from central europe? I believe Queen Victorias' husband brought that idea with him from Germany? Interesting how Christmas has evolved over the centuries. The wise mens' giving of gifts has morphed into a mid winter orgy of mindless overspending and breathless waiting for a mythical figure to jump down the chimney. And now we are even being encouraged by the same stores that profit from this excess not to call it Christmas?
Rambling thoughts of a sad old man that has way too much time alone to think of these things! Heeheehee.
J

Now , this is a nice story ! Just perfect !

Thanks for the explanation Jerry . You are full of wisdom my friend and that proves that you are a wise old man !

Greetings from another old man !
Kurt
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

Happy New Year to you.

Cheers

Al

Thanks for the kind words Alan,

I have a new plan that involves the view through the gate. I am not so happy with the first house I made. I don't like the angles on the double pitch roof. The bottom is not OK to my eye. So instead of re-making it I think I will move it to behind the gate as in one of the previous piccies. Most gates I saw in Germany were no longer at the entrence to town anymore as the town had grown up around them so this would be logical for sure and add more interest I hope?

Happy new year to you and all as well,
J

And to you m8!

The idea to move the house sounds very interesting! You are right that medieval towns often outgrew former boundaries (and gates).

Looking forward to seeing the pics then!!

And I fully second your thoughts about "modern" Christmas!

Cheers

Romain
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:33 PM UTC
Absolutely fantastic work here. I especially like the trees.