Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Type 97 ShinHoTo Chi-Ha
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 04:36 AM UTC
Gary-- as always, interesting to follow your work. I am anxious to see how you mask the vehicle.
Great job!
DJ
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hey DJ, great to have you stop in!

I must say, the masking wasnt goin' so well... So i decided what tha heck...im gonna brush on the camo! I must say im very pleased with the results. I used Vallejo model color and my best paint brushes. I traced the pattern i liked with a pencil then went to it! Green first then Brown. I have the turret painted but its gonna take some time to do the rest....

Here are some pics of the mesh as requested.

Oh BTW! Eddy, i ussed a plastic round hole template to mask the tires as i sprayed the wheels.

Thanks for lookin' fellas!

Gary
paratrooper
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 995 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 09:03 AM UTC
really nice paint job you did here gary! And awesome tank!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 02:18 PM UTC
You Gnhaaaaa! You've done it again! Prove to us mortal that you can brush paint with the same esthetics quality than a airbrush...At least tell me you sprayed a mist of base color for toning!?
Saweeet paint job Mace Boggs. Can't wait to see the hull dressed up as the turret.

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You Gnhaaaaa! You've done it again! Prove to us mortal that you can brush paint with the same esthetics quality than a airbrush...At least tell me you sprayed a mist of base color for toning!?
Saweeet paint job Mace Boggs. Can't wait to see the hull dressed up as the turret.

Phil.

Thanks my friend!!! Yes i sprayed a highly dilluted mist of the base coat. Lookin close at it there are still subtle brush stroke marks but very minimal. Ill do a bit of an SBS on the lower hull to show what im doin. Thanks Mon Ami!

Thanks Peter! Thanks for stoppin' by.

Gary
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 03:30 PM UTC
@BBD468 - Gary,

That is one sharp looking camouflage pattern you've managed there and with just paint brushes

I had inquired about the wire that comes with the Furilmodel tracks because I have yet to use it. What I have done is to drill out the holes on the links with a .021" diameter drill and then in place of the Fruilmodel wire I use .020" diameter brass wire. I then cut the brass wire to length once I have the wire inserted into the track links via a set of pliers. A lot of work on my part as your effort looks spot on. Excellent track sag too!

Thanks for the tip on masking off the tires and for sharing a bit about the kits molded on screen. Models have sure come a long ways in so short a period of time.

~ Eddy
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 11:36 PM UTC
That is just awesome paint brush work on the camo- it looks truly spot on and I really can't wait to see it on the hull, its a very eye catching camo on these tanks.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
Gary,

What can I say Another Van Gough well on the way to the marvelled halls of fame!!

Great looking camo scheme can't waif for more!'

Mike
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 12:29 AM UTC
A master at work!!!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hey! where is MY UPDATE!
Yeah, you know you should have done one Gray...Now Ihave to drink my coffe wondering what your hoo chi mama tank looks like with that sweet sexy camo
Have a nice day bro!

Phil.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hang on you hand painted that turret? thats great.

You are not by chance a graphic designer or artist are you?

I wish you could travel to the UK to paint my Tiger when its ready, I spend years building models and panic when it comes to painting

S
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hello my friends,

Thanks fellas, i do appreciate the kind words.

I have done a small section of the hull to show an SBS on my method of madness. So here goes!
First i traced the camo pattern with a pencil.

I then traced the lines with Vallejo paint with a 10/0 brush.

Then i filled in the camo with a 00 round brush with thin coat. BTW, i thin the Vallejo with distilled water only.

Next is the second coat with the same brush. Same consistancy as first coat.

3rd and last coat is brushed with a 0 round being careful to not leave brush sroke marks in the final coat.

I have already sealed the turret with future gloss and ready for decals.

I sure hope that helps...and made sence!

Thanks for looking!

Gary
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 02:42 AM UTC
What consistency do you mix your paint? What kind of brushes are you using? I could never get the hang of brush painting lol
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What consistency do you mix your paint? What kind of brushes are you using? I could never get the hang of brush painting lol

Hey John,

In this instance i mixed the Paint approx. 2 parts paint to 1 part distilled water. When i paint tools and the like on my tanks the mix wouldnt be quite that thin. The brushes are Winsor & Newton series 7. Kolinski Sable. I use them for figure painting but felt i needed to use them on this to minimize brush stroke marks. The Kolinsky sable helps to lay the paint more smoothly for me. Hope that helps.

Gary
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the SBS on this Gary- I haven't hand painted an AFV model since I got my first airbrush, seeing the results you've achieved makes me want to try it again!
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC
Very well done Gary !!!
So far it's looking great !

I recommend using some filters to blend the colours.

pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi Gary,
Your brush painting effect is incredible. I could not believe that it is painted with a brush, your method is very cool. I think in the near future it will use.

The best regards Pawel
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 - 04:23 PM UTC
Karl, Pawel - Thanks so much fellas, i appreciate it!

John - I dont have that particular filter but i think i have the right oils to replicate that tone pretty close. Ill try to mix a batch as i like the color in the bottle you have shown.

Have some more painting done. I still need the hull sides under the fenders and the rear area. Heres what i did tonight. WHEEEW!!!

Thanks for looking fellas!

Gary
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 - 07:15 PM UTC
Gary, your build is coming along beautifully

Vallejo really is a great drop to paint with a brush, and your camo is perfect !

Cheers

Paul
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 02:46 PM UTC
It is great to watch this build coming together. I really like the Vallejo paints for hand-brushing camo. I also have to agree that the vinyl tracks in these kits are... lacking.. Great kits though despite showing a bit of age What's next?
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 10:12 PM UTC
Dear Mr. Boggs,Although I had heard rumors about this build,I was not informed about this thread,and as you can see, am late to the party.In the future,I suggest that you (being the fine upstanding young lad that you are)keep Me informed about any and all (well,maybe not ALL) of your late night goings on so I can lob some mortar rounds in your general direction
So,let's see,1/72 free hand camo with an airbrush,a wingythingie(looks sweet by the way),and now,1/35 camo with a brush.What's next, a 1/144 build using a kitchen broom and some old banana peels?

As always,another outstanding build,Dude
Jeff T.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC
The Boggs Master has done it again! Very nice my friend Can't wait to see the progres on that one bro. Are you going to spray a mist of basecoat before pin washing? or wait after?

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Mr. Boggs,Although I had heard rumors about this build,I was not informed about this thread,and as you can see, am late to the party.In the future,I suggest that you (being the fine upstanding young lad that you are)keep Me informed about any and all (well,maybe not ALL) of your late night goings on so I can lob some mortar rounds in your general direction
So,let's see,1/72 free hand camo with an airbrush,a wingythingie(looks sweet by the way),and now,1/35 camo with a brush.What's next, a 1/144 build using a kitchen broom and some old banana peels?

As always,another outstanding build,Dude
Jeff T.

Hey Jeff T. I do apologize for being late to inform you, but i felt that if i informed too early your accurate mortar fire may delay or disable the build completely...not mention destroy the stockpile of banana peels and brooms i have for the next project!

Better late than never my friend! Great to have you stop in.

Paul, Jeremy - Thanks fellas!!

Brother Phil - Thanks my friend, i appreciate it! You know im not sure just yet...i may play with some filters first and see where that takes me. After all the hand painting im kinda wishing i had gone with a bit lighter brown, but its all good...ill figure it out...I HOPE!!!

FINALLY!!!! CAMO DONE!!! WHOOHOOO!!! I can paint the tools, idler tires and the like next and move the heck on!

Im tired!!!

Gary
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 03:31 PM UTC
Great job Gary !!!
Congrats !!!

I'll post some pics of some filters on bare plastic to show you the tone of that 3-tone camo filter.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job Gary !!!
Congrats !!!

I'll post some pics of some filters on bare plastic to show you the tone of that 3-tone camo filter.

Hey John, that would be awseome my man! Thanks for that!!

Gary