Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Type 97 ShinHoTo Chi-Ha
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sweet can you e-mail me a pic of what you've bought I maybe buy some soon. I was affraid of the quantity but they seem pretty respectable sized pots in your pics.

Over and Out brotha!

I sure will brother Phil!!

Gary
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hey Gary, brotha Jeff checking in.

I cannot say much different than what's already been said. You're the man!

BTW, what size brush did you use on the camo? Did you draw it out with a pencil (like I do) before laying the paint down?

Keep it up and thanks!

~ Jeff
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 11:40 PM UTC
Great work Gary. And thanks for the mini tutorial about painting! I actually posted a thread asking how to do it a few weeks ago and didn't really get any information. Looking forward to seeing a not-so-shiny Type 97.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gary, brotha Jeff checking in.

I cannot say much different than what's already been said. You're the man!

BTW, what size brush did you use on the camo? Did you draw it out with a pencil (like I do) before laying the paint down?

Keep it up and thanks!

~ Jeff

Hey brother Jeff,

HEHE Thanks man! I did lay out the pattern with a no.2 pencil and then i outlined the pencil lines with Vallejo model color and a 000 kolinsky sable brush. I then filled in the outlines with 3 coats and a 0 and 1 of the same kolinsky sable haired brushes. All 3 were winsor & newton series 7 brushes. Thanks a bunch for stoppin' in Jeff!

Hey Christopher,

Thanks man! Im glad the SBS was helpful. Im really happy with the results...even though it seemed to take forever!!

Gary
SlapFight
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 10:20 AM UTC
Wow! That camo looks fantastic. Great job.
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

The markings you’ve chosen to place on the ‘ho-chi mama’ caught my attention so I did a little research and found that the markings together with the camouflage scheme that you rendered are a match for a unit that belonged to the 3rd Company, 7th Tank Regiment, 2nd Armored Division stationed in Luzon in the Philippines around December 1944. I’m guessing that at some point in the war this unit eventually saw action against the liberating Allied forces and were either lost in action, captured or abandoned by their crews? Is this unit mentioned on the Tamiya kit markings section of the instructions?

~ Eddy
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sweet can you e-mail me a pic of what you've bought I maybe buy some soon. I was affraid of the quantity but they seem pretty respectable sized pots in your pics.

Over and Out brotha!

Hey Phil, I love the stuff!! I have been using it for more than just weathering also. Think out side the box and you can go a long way with AK
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Over and Out brotha!

Hey Phil, I love the stuff!! I have been using it for more than just weathering also. Think out side the box and you can go a long way with AK

(((LOL)))....did you just plug AK products???
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 01:07 PM UTC
Dear Mr. Boggs,
Now that all the "younga brothas" have checked in,even though it's past my bedtime I feel that it's time to hear from The Old Guy The SBS was great,in fact I think I'm going to try it on My Jagdtiger.If these shakey old hands and half blind eyes will let Me
The force runs strong with you,young one,Do not treat the power lightly Jeff T.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@BBD468 – Gary,

The markings you’ve chosen to place on the ‘ho-chi mama’ caught my attention so I did a little research and found that the markings together with the camouflage scheme that you rendered are a match for a unit that belonged to the 3rd Company, 7th Tank Regiment, 2nd Armored Division stationed in Luzon in the Philippines around December 1944. I’m guessing that at some point in the war this unit eventually saw action against the liberating Allied forces and were either lost in action, captured or abandoned by their crews? Is this unit mentioned on the Tamiya kit markings section of the instructions?

~ Eddy

Hello Brother Eddy,

Your research is spot on my friend! I dont know tha fate of the tank was, but im sure it wasnt pretty....

Im pretty sure im finished! Here it is....

Thanks to all my great friends for following along.

Gary
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
Gary, this was awesome! I don't have a heated workspace for airbrushing this winter, so a brush painting primer is just what the doctor ordered. I like the 2 to 1 paint-thinner ratio you recommended, I mostly see a 1:1 ratio recommended for Vallejo and found it too runny.

Can't wait to see your King Tiger, Panther G and Hetzer in Ambush Camo!

Nate
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Mr. Boggs,
Now that all the "younga brothas" have checked in,even though it's past my bedtime I feel that it's time to hear from The Old Guy The SBS was great,in fact I think I'm going to try it on My Jagdtiger.If these shakey old hands and half blind eyes will let Me
The force runs strong with you,young one,Do not treat the power lightly Jeff T.

Hey brother Jeff T.,

Thanks buddy! You mean your still up??? Dont worry Jeff, the force can be a huge burdan but in the right hand it can bring together great friends and good models. I must say Jeff, the winsor & newton series 7 kolinsky sable brushes made a huge difference in how the paint layed down for me. Had i used my cheaps - it wouldnt have turned out well.

Hey Nate,

Thanks a bunch buddy! Im very happy with the results given i hadnt done it before and it coulda went soooo wrong. Though im not affraid to do it again...it wont be anytime soon!

"Can't wait to see your King Tiger, Panther G and Hetzer in Ambush Camo!" WHAT??? I dont have any of those kits...you trying to hint at me.......

Thanks fellas!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 02:32 PM UTC
Absolutly gorgeous Mace WinBoggs!
The tracks are the best I've seen yet!!!
How did you acheive this finish bro?

Phil
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Absolutly gorgeous Mace WinBoggs!
The tracks are the best I've seen yet!!!
How did you acheive this finish bro?

Phil

Hey Brother Phil,

Thanks my friend, i appreciate it!

The tracks were basecaoted/primed with FX-59 desert yellow. But i put mig brown wash in the airbrush and sprayed several coats on and let it dry. I went over the contact points of the track with thinner and a rag to expose the metal then sealed it with tamiya flat and voila! No piments. I did use a black color pencil on the tracks where the tires make contact. Im happy you like them bro!

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 03:44 PM UTC
Well, not as finished as i thought. I over looked a small but noticable area of the supention. Touch ups coming!

Ill sort it out in the morning.

Gary
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 11:56 PM UTC
That looks like a very minor mistake Gary. This build has been quality from start to finish- the look of the tank is just amazing and the weathering is totally spot-on- you've given the tank a great camo and fantastic visual interest both from the camo and the weathering. I salute your masterful work !
Pops53
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:41 AM UTC
Magnificent job. I especially love the realistic wear on the shovel!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 02:24 AM UTC
Exposed metal! that's why it looks so much like...exposed metal! hehe
Brobru
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 12:43 PM UTC
Outstanding job!
I'm tempted to build this model!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:06 PM UTC
Karl - Thanks my friend! Yeah, just a MINOR oversight

Fred - Thanks fella! Im pleased with the shovel aswell. I tend to overlook the little extra dirt and grime on the tools, but not anymore!

Brother Phil - (((LOL))) Yep...its metal!

Jaroslaw - Thanks alot buddy! Its a really easy kit to build and lots of room for improvements.

Gary
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 07:55 PM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

Another super build! Even with the painting boo-boo thing on the suspension it looks way out awesome'amondo (can I use this word here?) dude! I’m sure your nephew will really enjoy having this one to display on his selves. It looks really good with the tracks installed and the tracks also look great. My favorite part is the exhausts and tools, looks realistic and adds just the right amount of color to the overall camouflage scheme.

This is your best work to date, and with each build you’re taking this hobby to a new level. Keep it happening ‘cause brother you are a genuine artist!!!

~ Eddy
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:32 AM UTC
Fantastic work Gary,details really make it
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:13 AM UTC

This is your best work to date, and with each build you’re taking this hobby to a new level. Keep it happening ‘cause brother you are a genuine artist!!!

~ Eddy [/quote]

Amen to that!
Phil.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 03:20 AM UTC
One of those became my new desktop background. Just love the track sag and the weathering, no matter if you say it still needs touch-up.

Nice work.

~ Jeff
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 06:04 AM UTC
WOW....Thanks so much you guys! You are all so kind and it makes it all worth the extra effort.

Jeff, thats an honor to be on your desktop background.

Thanks my friends,
Gary