_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Type 97 ShinHoTo Chi-Ha
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hello Gentlemen,

I have started a Tamiya type 97 late build. So far the fit is typical Tamiya - nice, but there is more mold line seam cleaning than ive had to do in some time - maybe the age of the kit? Anyways, its still a fun build for me.
Heres what ive done so far.

Thanks for looking!

Gary
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 06:54 PM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

It’s big Friday and you're off to a good weekend and start on a new build. This will be an interesting build, especially because I know squat about WWII Japanese tanks.

Gary, is the Chi – Ha and upgraded of the Shin Ho or a backdated version?

~ Eddy
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 11:00 PM UTC
Go get 'em Gary!

I have this still sealed and a Type 1 as well. I love the little Japanese tanks and can't wait to see your finished version. Never thought of metal tracks as they must be used for the correct look.

I was planing a little dio with the two, side-by-side... maybe a Campaign at a latter date?

~ Jeff
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 01:07 AM UTC
Looks good so far. I've wanted to get a Tamiya version of this tank to see how it goes. I'll keep watching.

Eddy, the Shinhoto is the new turret version of the Chi-Ha. Improved turret and a high velocity 47mm gun to replace the low velocity 57mm.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 01:11 AM UTC
Looking good so far. I think this is the best looking of the Japanese armor.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 01:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Gary! looking good, you went a long way for just one evening of work That's probably why your'e ain't online this morning! hehe
Sleep tight bro.

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 03:47 PM UTC
Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the nice comments and for stoppin' by.

I failed to mention that this kit belongs to my nephew Kyle (Dieselrocket) and he asked me to build it for him and his collection. It will be painted and detailed to his taste.
I made some progress today and dont like too much more to finish. With the exception of the tracks of course.

Would have had much more done this evening but i have also been playing around with this thing here. I think its called....a wingy???

Thanks for lookin'!

Gary
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 08:39 PM UTC
@russamotto – Russ,

Russ thanks for the information it is very much appreciated. I went searching online with the information you provided for me and to do a little research on WWII Japanese tanks and found out that the turrets with the 57mm low velocity main gun from the original version of the Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tank were later fitted to the Type 95 Ha-Go light tank. This hybrid tank known as the Type 4 Ke-Nu light tank is the subject of an inbox 72nd scale Dragon kit review that I just started working on.

@BBD468 – Gary,

Dude! Are you going through some kind of modeling withdrawal? First a WWII Japanese tank and now a 'wingamathing' (is this a word?) contaminating your workstation, what’s up with that? On top of that you have a growing audience dropping in to check it out! Dude you rock!!!

~ Eddy
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 01:59 AM UTC
@Eddy: I'm sure Gary is doing this to test himself. To see how lomg he can take this ``flying tank`` (if they are called that ) buisnes. I know he will come out of this a better modelling man!
Looking good bro!

Phil.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 03:48 AM UTC
Gary- I can't wait to see what you get up to with this Japanese tank, it sure is an interesting looking thing- what camo are you planning to go for with it?

And that is one impressive looking Spitfire (I think, I know zip about those old wingy's...although I am guilty of building a few modern ones when the mood strikes )- thats easily one of the best and cleanest camo and decal schemes I've ever seen on one of those!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hello Gentlemen,

Eddy - The wingy thing is an experimental phase! I have 2 more wingy kits that ill build proper someday and this is a bit of a test run. The armor....im addicted and will never stray for long, as you can see.

Phil - thanks brotha! Im definately not gonna make the Wingy thingy a regular affair.

Karl - Since this is my nephews tank he has chose for me to create the look on the box art. So im gonna attempt that, i just mot sure yet how im gonna approach it. Thanks for the kind words on the Spit.

Well im about done with the Tank so on to the fruils. Eddy, you may recognize the material for the muffler guards. THX!

Thanks for lookin' fellas!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 12:28 PM UTC
Nicely done my Friend! what is exactly the material on the exhaust? Fruils gonna be just amazing on that build. Have you found some good intel on those tanks?

Phil.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 03:07 PM UTC
Variety is the spice of life! I just finished a horror figure set called "the Pain Parlor", just in time for HALLOWEEN too!

So taking a break from armor once in a while is perfectly normal. The spit looks fast too. And the little tank is getting better also.

~ Jeff
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 06:28 PM UTC
Hi Gary. Variety is the spice of life as they say and this still looks cool (not talking about the wingy thing ). The unusual chasis set-up allows for some cool weathering, not to mention the camo these Japanese tanks were given. Looking forward to more.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 04:38 AM UTC
Phil, Jeff, Frank - Thanks a bunch fellas!! I appreciate the kind words.

Phil - im not sure what that material is. Eddy sent it to me and i forgot what he said. maybe he'll chime in and let us know. Its very soft and plyable mesh - very nice!

Fruils built and everything primed except wheels. Their about to be painted after this update.

Thanks for looking!

Gary
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hi Gary, nice build so far.
Glad to see you back at the bench !
nice detailing, looks like a fun tamyia build as usual !!

Postman's news yet ?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Postman's news yet ?

Hello my friend,

Thanks John, it is a fun and easy build. The hard part will be the busy camo. A challenge to be sure!

No postal suprise yet bro - but ill sure let you know!

Gary
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Postman's news yet ?

Hello my friend,

Thanks John, it is a fun and easy build. The hard part will be the busy camo. A challenge to be sure!

Gary

Will you use the boxart camo or are there other schemes ?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Postman's news yet ?

Hello my friend,

Gary

Will you use the boxart camo or are there other schemes ?

Jeff, this is my nephews kit that he asked me to build. He wants it to look like the box art so im gonna try to recreate that...TRY!!! Ill be base coating soon and im still not sure just how im gonna approach it as its a hard edge camo pattern and i do not like useing the blue-tak. Ill sort it out.....

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hey fellas,

Got the base coat on. Tamiya Buff and dark yellow mix about 70/30 ratio. Camo next!

Thanks!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC
Already looking great Gary
Hard or soft edge?
Phil.
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 08:20 AM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

The base color looks convincing. So what technique are you using to produce the even separation between the base colored road wheels and black rubber tires? Excellent job on the Fruilmodel tracks, nice track sag – did you use the supplied metal wire to join the tracks?

Like the scratch made handles and stowage straps for the axe and shovel. These small upgrades sure go a long ways in improving the kit. Looks like you even added a piece of copper plate over the main gun housing too!

Gary, you sure have gone a long ways on your build, I need to improve on my speed! I believe Russ ‘russamotto’ Amott is correct about the Shinhoto, so you may want to have the moderator revise the title of your build log as you are building the upgraded late version of this Japanese medium tank. The version of the tank you are building is correctly known as the Type 97 Kai or Type 97 Shinhoto Chi-Ha – Japanese for ‘medium third with a new turret’.

:[]-- I’ve been lurking in from time to time, been real busy here this week. Our apartment managers throw in some new flooring and upgrades to modernize our place. Feels like we just moved into a new crib, which included packing and moving our stuff around. 85% done! More to go but it’s the weekend and I’m going to do a little modeling and go online to post some criticism and start some rioting, I mean comments.

Quoted Text

Eddy, you may recognize the material for the muffler guards. THX! - Gary

Quoted Text

What is exactly the material on the exhaust? - Phil

Quoted Text

Phil – I’m not sure what that material is? Eddy sent it to me and I forgot what he said. Maybe he'll chime in and let us know. Its very soft and pliable mesh - very nice!

@asmodeuss – Phil, and fellows, I found this copper mesh screen material encased within an electrical flat ribbon wire cable at a job I held over 30 years ago! This type of cable is still being produced today but the price for a short piece of this cable may be staggering at today’s market prices. It’s always good to look at items that can be used for modeling. The material is quite pliable and is textured on one side thus rendering a realistic mesh screen as in Gary’s example in this scale.

Phil, I still have just enough material left in my stash to send you a good chunk of it, if your interested PM me with your address.

Gary, what material or plastic molded parts are supplied in the Tamiya kit to render the covers over the exhaust pipes? Could you take a close up of both the kit supplied parts and the copper mesh screen?

~ Eddy
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC
Haha!
Started some riot yet?
Thanks for the info Eddy!

Phil.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 10:26 AM UTC
Great job Gary, Dont know how I missed this ?

Steven
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks for stoppin' in my friends. I havent been at the bench in a few days with family in town and other factors but im thinking ill get some progress done today on the Hu Chi Ku Chi....

Eddy - I did use the wire supplied with the fruils. Not sure what you mean about the build log title - its correct i thought. The muffler covers had the screens moled on and the detail was almost nonexistent so i decided the mesh was perfect and i love that stuff! Its so easy to work with...ME LIKES!!! The mesh is glued over the covers where you cant see the original molding, but i will snap a pic of the mesh. BTW, you start a riot...i got your back Eddy!!! GO GET-UM BRO!!!!!

Steven - Thx for dropping by buddy. Always great to have you along.

Ill have some sort of update this evening.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP