SWEDISH CENTURIONS STRV102 &104
ossie262
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 03:24 AM UTC
HI THORD

can you drop me a email sometime. tried to email you but they just bounced.
thanks mate
ossie
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC
Howdy Ossie,

Very interesting thread you got going here. Have the 104 50% build somewhere in the closet.

Two things I remember...
A: the fenders were to short in my kit (I think Sven Y. had the same experience). Nothing you've come across in your kit?

B:
The ERA block on the left hand side of the barrel are two far from the barrel itself. IRL there's not much room between the barrel and the ERA block. Althought I guess that's nitpicking...

Finally, you are using the skirts from Accurate Armour. Any particular reason?

Cheers,
/E
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Ossie,

Very interesting thread you got going here. Have the 104 50% build somewhere in the closet.

Two things I remember...
A: the fenders were to short in my kit (I think Sven Y. had the same experience). Nothing you've come across in your kit?

B:
The ERA block on the left hand side of the barrel are two far from the barrel itself. IRL there's not much room between the barrel and the ERA block. Althought I guess that's nitpicking...

Finally, you are using the skirts from Accurate Armour. Any particular reason?

Cheers,
/E

Hi
my infantry rides were 1mm too short , but in the end due the original fixing been removed it would not make that much difference to be honest i had thought of remaking new but decided against it. 1 mm thats shrinkage not much we can do about that. so just built them . they do look good tho.

i have not got to the turret part yet but if it is to wrong t i just alter it .
i have found some other things missing or different so keep a eye out .
i have lots of pictures of Bovingtons strv104 and will go there during the weekend to measure some bits . i also got chain to add etc.

i am going to use the AA Side plates again need modifying for my STRV102 along with the Panzer art wheels and may even use flui track unsure yet. i see how i feel during my build. why?? ok i want to produce the gap between the hull side plates and trackguards about 1/2 inch in real life
strv104 i possible use the kit side plates
planning a danish centurion after these so could use other set of etch ones for that .

by all means ask questions as i do love centurions. i am not going to OOT on the strv 104 unsure yet but the 102 will be going OOT
thanks for your reply glad you like the builds . ossie
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 04:25 AM UTC

Strv102 rear plate

today i have built the rear of the hull complete . so what did i change .
back plate ,
telephone,
stowage box,
two rope brackets are same as what would be fitted to the right hand one i used 2 c12s
fitted extensions to top of the hull with 15 thou by 60 (evergreen strip no 113) then stuck on and filled using my super glue and baking powder.
plates and wing nuts added to the dust deflector.

the next stage is to add the wading bracket along the hull top around engine bay out of angle brass.

ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 08:56 AM UTC
strv102
Ok four hrs work blimey forgot how long it takes to do these little bits of detail. but i have now added the angle iron sections to the model use unknown possible wading screen don't know. Anyway i used ever green L shape plastic and K brass L shape i had knocking around as you do .
Also added the left hand fuel tank breather pipe.

okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / España
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 11:24 PM UTC
Ossie,

Very cool work on both of those! Keep it up

I have the HF conversion to do myself... Does anyone have a diagram for the 4-tone splinter camo? I have one for the 3-tone, but not the 4-tone...

Cheers,

Olaf
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 01:23 AM UTC
hi olaf
on there way olaf and thanks for the comment.
ossie
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 03:56 AM UTC
Great work, Michael!

Very interesting parallel project. The amount of resin parts in the conversion kits is breathtaking ;-)

Keep on the good work.
Cheers
Walter
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi Walter
Thank you for your comment and yes the kit has Andrews hall mark of being very fine and nice and lots of bits.
but strv 102 i am trying to use as much scratch build skills as i can but will use some bits where required.
thanks
ossie
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 10:59 AM UTC
strv102

Oh i decided to replace the plastic handles with wire ones. dropped more then i managed to fit , lucky enough i know they don't stay straight as i bent a few in my life on centurions. so they look better anyway.

ok Gun rebound rails ok rear deck one is ok just needed to rounded edges and split in to 5
the sides well the front section had to be removed and then made higher and detail changed on the inside which is actually missing . 5 thou plastic card used , so engine deck is now finished next stage is the track guards and bins. etc.
i had to move the last rail back 1mm as it fowls the exhaust.
Seems everything is slightly different on these tanks except basics .

ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hello all
Sorry for the delay in this next part . but as usual i been busy .
Ok whiskey in hand a time to relax. well i am decided to use the etch brass on the kits
The Etch for the old Tamiya centurion on the strv104 and for the strv102 the afv club one.
Who ever invented etch brass handles needs a lobotomy man they look good but those afv club one jesus they are so fine i lost or bent more then i fitted .

BIG THANK YOU to OALF who kindly sent me the two tow hooks for the mono trailer he had left over, they are just the job so Thank you mate.
i added the side lights , going to add the wiring for them also add a jack stowage bracket on top of both bins on the strv 102 and then make rear mud guards and also rear tail lights and wiring .
hope you like it Ossie

okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / España
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC
Lookin' good Ossie, keep up the hard work!

Olaf
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 11:19 AM UTC

Today i was pleased to received two sets of wheels from PANZER ART no RE35-081 centurion road wheels which i bought for my models
Ok first impressions is wow nicely detailed and are basically the kit wheels
Ok they only have a small pour hole to be remove , three groves are there on the inside of the lip of the wheel .
Out edge of wheels are slightly beveled, easy to resolve with a file when built.
Ok in two sets i have the following , 1 air bubble on a hub . two front and two rear wheel groves slightly full but i picked one out ok. i will use the others i to show dirt in side of them . The slight indent to fill on hub just like the kit
After glueing a set together an drubbing a big file and a quick rub down in sand paper they look good.
verdict after a clean up, they look the business UK postage was cheap ,well packed will use them again .
Really recommended

maxim37
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hi Ossie.
Love the two Swedish centurion builds so far!!!.You inspired me to buy the afv club centurion kit.I got the dozer blade mark v.Would like to do a strv 102 as the 104 kit is bit out of my league money wise at the moment.Wouldnt mind doing mine with reactive armour.Did many strv 102s have the armour like the 104 version?.
keep up the great work and the whisky flowing to help you model.
All the best from Richard
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC
hi richard , if you look at Thords Wedhmans pictures of a strv 102 on plain military the one with the bolts on the hull front is a up armoured hull ie it had the armour fitted to the front of the hull. thats is a strv102R
from what i understand the turret armour was part of being a strv104 conversion pack.
email me if you want any more info ossie
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 09:59 AM UTC
Just a quick update showing one set of wheels fitted to the strv 102 which look nice .
let you decide .
ossie

ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 10:38 PM UTC

Hello all
Well a small update but a lot of work has gone in to them both.
strv104 well this was a dilemma to decide what to do with the wheels as i had some bad castings so i opted for half kit and half panzer art. they complement each other as well .
also added the rear light wiring that came with the kit. i scuffed the kit wheels with 700 fine emery paper and tested one and the paint holds.

STRV102
this has had a lot done. i have fitted the wheels now they look good as you all know. i also added the front supports and wiring for head lights
Made the rear rubber mudguard s which are fitted to Swedish Centurions. also the orange reflector ( one crocked on purpose) and the unit sign holder. oh for those wishing to count the rivets yep i did add each one lol
Next stage will be rear light wiring then exhaust .
Hope you all like it
ossie

zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC
Howdy Ossie,

Good to see that your making steady progres on your Swedish projects. I'll continue to lurk in the shadows, keeping an eye on this thread.

Cheers,
/E
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC
hi thanks
got any dimensions on the size of the headlight brackets for the strv102
thanks ossie
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 08:38 AM UTC
Very nice, Ossie, as we'd expect from you.
I'm also impressed with those wheels. I'd been hoping for a resin set based on the AFV Club wheels, and now we have them. Now if we get get burned out ones...
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 11:24 PM UTC
thank you
yes they are nice wheels but i did have a few dodgy ones in the second set but can always use them as full of mud.
or hide under the side plates.
yes i am now really enjoying the model making process and when the hulls are done then i start on the turrets , so treating the model as four individual models .
i have ado list on the hull and so far it around 30 items on each hull still to build, convert or add totally .
so i am going for a really in-depth build.
thanks for you comment
ossie
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi all just a small update . FLUI TRACKS do NOT fit AFV CLUB Sprockets . so now using the AFV CLUB INDY tracks i already have .
I am now cleaning up the AFV Club tracks and now re-boxed the flui track i made up . never mind i use them on something else .
You could use flui if you was to modify their sprockets to fit the afv club final drives.
Model making is slow at the moment because my wrists are sore from work , that what comes of being on tanks for 38yrs lol. and am off sick for them at the moment so i try and do some more over this week . ossie
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hi all

Well, i managed to do some model making .
Strv102 well i used the etch brass for the main exhaust and i added a 10 thou gap between the exhaust and shield in real life there is some small brackets which do just that.
Normally on a Strv102 the auxiliary engine exhaust comes out and comes under the left hand exhaust would have come out level with the fish tails ., but the one i am, building does not and is a normal fit yippee.
So next job for the 102 is to start gun crutch and the front lights and stowage on the front so thats the next bit.

Strv104 well i built the front light and the front armor . built the turret basic shape and added the gun to the turret also added the two to peaces of the reactive armor that fit on the gun mantel i know it does not look even but that is the model . to be honest only those who knit pick will know.
i also added a set of the plastic track so you could see what it looked like .
hope you like what i am doing i try do some more tomorrow.

ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
hi all
well start with the Strv104 i have added the gun crutch and the gun rail will start on the stowage etc over the next week some more stuff to be added as well

Strv102
bit of disaster really, could not get the exhaust covers to sit right or achieve the look i wanted. , so i revert to using the kits exhausts . Did the old way of making them thinner on the edges so they look right
Added some of the stowage and the only stowage fitted in my pictures is the axe heads.
So tonight and next week finish stowage off and everything from front of turret ring backwards. am scratch building / modifying the stowage brackets also fitted L shape rail on rear mud guards.

Hope you like it so far ? Ossie
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi all sorry but i don't have any updates yet , i have been diagnosed with arthritis in my wrists' so model making is painful but i will do some soon . Some how. ossie