Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 06:59 PM UTC
patrick comelli

I can't see your pictures at all, do you have a direct link to your pics?
patgxo
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:05 AM UTC
Jon,

Here is a link to see the GMC :
http://www.milinfo.org/2015/07/modif-gmc-cckw-352-affut-m37-sur-base-solido-par-patrick-comelli.html
If you can't still see my pictures , send me your Email , I will send the pictures
patgxo
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:12 AM UTC
Thanks all for your comments

I confirm , it's 1:50 scale
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 05:44 AM UTC
Patrick, I have to ask, why did you start with a toy and put so much excellent work into improving it? Clearly you could have started with a currently available, highly detailed plastic model, put the same amount of work into it and created an amazing competition winning masterpiece. With your talent you could have even built something entirely from scratch.

Please know that I mean no offense but after some consideration I just have to ask.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 05:57 AM UTC
Here is a hobby detail all military modelers could be interested in.

SKP Models' lenses:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/239396&page=1#2019350
patgxo
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick, I have to ask, why did you start with a toy and put so much excellent work into improving it? Clearly you could have started with a currently available, highly detailed plastic model, put the same amount of work into it and created an amazing competition winning masterpiece. With your talent you could have even built something entirely from scratch.

Please know that I mean no offense but after some consideration I just have to ask.

Michael,

No problems for me, you don't offend me.
I owe you an answer: it's because I work only with this scale (1/50 or 1/48 ) and I prefer metal to the plastic.
Thanks
Pat
Gore_X
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
Could it be that Hobby Boss is releasing a new CCKW-352 soon?

http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=49&l=en

http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/201508/55e3bd3e0f760.jpg
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 03:52 PM UTC
That's the one I have been waiting for but again when I build it I won't be using the HB cab and fenders!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC

I was going to kit bash this SWB Deuce using the current Tamiya open cab offering plus an Italeri hard cab. However when HobbyBoss teased us about the coming of this Short Wheel Base model I put the other plans on hold.

Unfortunately HobbyBoss continues to compound their original error by releasing more and more Deuce and a Half kits based on their long ago incorrectly elongated fenders and equally squashed cab.

Is this a "scale model" or a mis-scaled model?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 07:43 PM UTC
The hobby market seems to be taking a "close enough is good enough" attitude towards the HB offering and that is each and every customer's personal choice. However I suspect if a similar error were to occur in a newly released Sherman kit there would be much "weeping and nashing of teeth" throughout the model world.

I for one refuse to drink the Kool-Aid. I will buy the HB Deuce kits to get certain parts not offered elsewhere but I will be mounting them using some other manufacturer's properly scaled kits and the rest of the HB parts will be going in the s#&t can, (sorry I meant dust bin!)

I started this thread with the hope of encouraging the construction of more kit bashed Deuce conversions and also to possibly encourage hobby manufacturers to offer a greater selection of Deuce variants. I am not so foolish as to think this thread has had any affect on the hobby manufactures but I do feel that my efforts to some extent have blown up in my face with the coming of so many incorrectly sized/scaled Deuces from HobbyBoss. When is enough enough? When will HB finally fix their problem instead of dumping more and more majorly flawed models on the hobby market?

As I say any future plans to use the HB Deuce kits will include the use of a substitute Italeri hard cab and fenders!
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 07:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will buy the HB Deuce kits to get certain parts not offered elsewhere but I will be mounting them using some other manufacturer's properly scaled kits and the rest of the HB parts will be going in the s#&t can

That probably addresses their view in that statement - you're still buying their kit. So Hobby Boss are still seeing sales of their inaccurate models. I would think they have little/no reason or motivation to improve since inaccurate kits still sell (presumably selling well). So good enough accuracy is good enough for them to sell.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:04 PM UTC
I plan to buy the one HB SWB Deuce with the gun ring for the personal convenience of saving me the need to scratch build so many parts relative to the fuel tanks, spare tires and the gun. However I am a customer who could have normally been counted on, in some cases, to purchase multiple copies of each of the HB offerings.

As of this date I have not purchased a single HB Deuce and a Half with no plans for future purchases other than the one.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hobby Boss's fifth release of a 2 1/2 ton and no mention of a corrected cab.
It does seem that for HB close enough is good enough and for a lot of modeler's the same seems to hold true. Some one is buying the kit's other wise HB would not be releasing more versions of the Duece.
As Mike said in his post if the cab and fenders were right he would be buying more than one HB kit, I would be buying at least one of each version myself but at 40 to 50 dollar's each plus another 15 to 25 dollar's to get a replacement cab I don't think so.
As Ziggyfoos posted even if you buy the kit for parts what does HB care they sold a kit what you do with it is you're business if you want to throw half the kit away go a head.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:01 PM UTC
I'm sure the diehard truck modellers who follow this thread can help me:

I'm considering modeling the GMC cargo lift truck and GMC dumpster. Both would expose the frame. The Italeri frames (I have two donor GMC Water Truck kits) have the correct C cross-section unlike Tamiya's solid block chassis frame. But the I like the Tamiya wheels more (plus the open cab is correct for each version I want).

Have you ever mated the Tamiya fixed suspension & wheels to the Italeri frame?

Or should I build up the Italeri frame plus its suspension and then add the Tamiya wheels?

What would you advise? Pitfalls/advantages of either strategy?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:51 PM UTC
I would go with adding the Tamiya wheels to the Italeri frame/suspension. Cross-kitting the Tamiya suspension onto the Italeri frame may not work. I haven't tried it, but I bet the two kits are not exactly the same size/width and you would run into problems.

I am currently working on converting an M38 jeep and had the same issue using the Tamiya Willys MB cowl/dash cover with the MK Models Willys MC (M38/M606/CJ-3B) body. The Tamiya part was about 1mm too wide, but a hood from the Hobby Boss Ford GPW (same vehicle as the Willys MB) fit the MK body perfectly. Which is the correct width, I don't know? I suspect the HB and MK Models ones are right. Either way, it was a minor pain making the Tamiya cowl fit.

You could also go for some AM wheels, most are better than either set of kit wheels.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 06:46 PM UTC
"Or should I build up the Italeri frame plus its suspension and then add the Tamiya wheels?"

I've seen Italeri Frame/Suspension with Tamiya open cab, from memory the builder didn't say there were any fit issues, (your mileage may vary, as they say)

Also aftermarket wheels for the Italeri, or buckets of crud, it's construction right?

As an upsell, you could always use the spare closed Italeri cab to replace the Hobbyboss Duce cab, if you can't abide the foreshortened doors.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

or buckets of crud, it's construction right?

Well, not really. My plan is to cut the GMC dump truck into two -- make it an air transportable model. Separate it out into its component parts and make it cargo...

And then put one of those sections (probably the cab with the third caster wheel) atop the GMC cargo lifter, at full extension. How about 'dem apples?

Removed by original poster on 11/02/15 - 03:14:17 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/02/15 - 03:31:23 (GMT).
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

or buckets of crud, it's construction right?

Well, not really. My plan is to cut the GMC dump truck into two -- make it an air transportable model. Separate it out into its component parts and make it cargo...

And then put one of those sections (probably the cab with the third caster wheel) atop the GMC cargo lifter, at full extension. How about 'dem apples?

LIKE IT...

Then all you need is a cpouple of 1/35th C47's to display them in?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 04:42 PM UTC
I could be wrong but I thought that the air transportable GMCs would only fit in the cargo hold of a C-46 Commando or a C-54 Skymaster rather than the smaller C-47 -- not that any of this is relevant -- No way on earth either could be done in 1/35. I could see someone making a 1/35 C-47 due to the paratroop role however....
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 01:09 PM UTC
Something new on the CCKW front as reported by Hisham:

Photo provided by Hisham

A link to his thread:
http://armorama.com/forums/242646
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 01:22 PM UTC
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC

Looking at the sprue shots and the instruction sheets for this new Hobby Boss offering it would appear that they have created some sort of domed metal "weather cover" to go over the gun ring opening in the roof of the cab.

Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe such a device ever existed. Every enclosed cab vehicle outfitted with the opening for the gun ring that I know of has had a canvas cover that tightly tied with a draw string around the outer lip of the circular cab roof gun opening.

I have seen some canvas covers that also have a single bow (wooden I assume) that is snapped into the inside rim of the cab roof opening that then arches upwards to give the canvas a bit of an arch to better assist in water run off.

I do not know where HB got their reference for including a domed metal lid to cover this opening. Perhaps I missed this detail during my research.

alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi !

After reading the whole pages, Im a bit confussed.

I have the long chassis Italeri GMC 353 metal cargo bay.

I want to do a shot base 352, as I like a lot the model.

1) So, I CAN use the HB chassis and cargo bay, and ONLY replace the wrong cab?.

I mean the HB chassis are correct in lenght AND axles position on it?.

2) Or I need to cut in length the correct "C" chassis of Italeri one aft the cab and add the HB cargo area?.

Anybody start the same kitbash?.

TIA

Regards from the south
Alvaro