Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:46 AM UTC
I posted this on FSM.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/general_discussion/f/9/t/165684.aspx
Tamiya does the truck accessory part set for the Deuce maybe they could be persuaded to release a steal cab kit to replace sprue D from their kit.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:08 AM UTC
Mike did you see the news about another Deuce on the way from Hobby Boss. CCKW-352 Wood cargo box.
With all the Deuce releases Hobby Boss is getting like Bronco with all their Jeep releases and you know HB will release more they have the open cab on their molds.
Looking forward to seeing some srue shot's of this one.
So let's see what the score is on 1/35 scale Deuce's

Hobby Boss 4
Italeri 3
Tamiya 1

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobby Boss 4
Italeri 3
Tamiya 1

Don't forget Heller Their Deuce is still available...

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:47 PM UTC
I was going to mention the Heller. I have one waiting in my stash.

Note on the Heller: Unlike every other Deuce kit offered today the Heller actually includes a not half bad cloth tarp for the load box.

Recently when I built my Studebaker I swapped the load box and cloth top off the Heller to make the Stude stand out even more.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:52 PM UTC
Dave, As to the Hobby Boss offerings I am waiting for the short wheelbase deuce with the gun ring. When that comes out I will finally buy into what HB is offering and do whatever I have to do to fix their messed up cab and front sheet metal. (VERY disappointed in the mistakes made on the cab by HB on their hard cab fuel truck.)

For some reason HB teased us with the gun truck right after the fuel truck but to my knowledge it has still yet to be released???
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobby Boss 4
Italeri 3
Tamiya 1
Heller 1

AND

I think we should also include ICM's Studebaker US6 candidate. After all it is a Deuce and a Half just by a different auto builder. The ICM offering gives us a very nice variation on the Deuce theme!
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 07:52 AM UTC
Frenchy I don't know how I could have forgotten the Heller Deuce since I have one in my stash.
Mike there's hope yet for the 352 with gun mount and maybe H B will fix the cab . If they have the gun mount on a separate sprue maybe they will have a new cab with the hole in the roof on that sprue.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:34 AM UTC
While typing that last post I was thinking about some thing I had seen on Scale mates. You may have already read this Mike.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/948924-hobby-boss-83832-gmc-cckw-352-wood-cargo-truck
Nothing about new tool on the other releases just new parts.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 05:56 PM UTC
That awful photo of the gun truck that HobbyBoss keeps using is one they used way back when, at the hobby show where they first introduced the entire new line of Deuce and a Halves.

If they have not corrected the cab by now in the process I doubt they will be doing it for the gun truck.

I have been planning for years to kit bash the SWB gun truck. Now I will wait until it comes out from HB and then substitute whenever parts necessary to fix the cab problem.

The gun truck cab and fenders from Italeri's long wheelbase Deuce should do nicely.

Check out:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/225750&page=2#1990443
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 06:30 AM UTC
Check this build of a Studebaker out.
http://panzerserra.blogspot.com/2012/12/studebaker-us6-with-snow-plow-russian.html

highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 07:12 AM UTC
I made this Chevy 1-1/2 ton from Pearless Max 2-1/2 ton CCKW and Evergreen Styrene many years ago (40 years?). Also made a Short Wheelbase CCKW (don't have photo) Both model no longer exist.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 08:09 AM UTC

Fantastic build on the snowplow! Great work.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 12:50 AM UTC
Now here is a real beauty!

Found on the website

www.autowp.ru
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:38 PM UTC
Here's one that may interest you Mike. Just look at the CCKW truck tractor in the background :

from this website dedicated to the 2998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company in Korea :

http://tn-roots.com/tngibson/WAR/2998/Page_9.htm

There are some Brockway brige carriers pics as well...

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
Thanks Frenchy for thinking of me!

Dawg gone it! Why did they do the 6x6 tractor in a soft cab but not the 4x4 Chevy? Been in the back of my mind to rework that solf cab 1 1/2 ton Chevy tractor of mine into a hard cab version!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC
A different Deuce by a different Mother:

armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 08:23 AM UTC
Just got my Hobby Boss SWB to day . Just did a quick look checked the long frame against a Italeri frame close. The load box floor the width is the same as Italeri. Plane to do some more comparing later against Tamiya parts.
I have three Italeri cabs built one with a hole in it, one open , and one regular closed cab. Now to decide which one goes on this kit.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 08:43 AM UTC
David, the overall frame length on the Hobby Boss model is A-OK as is the length of the load box. Even the combined length of the hood, fenders and cab is right. However the fenders by themselves are way too long and so HB in turn squashed the length of the cab to make up for it!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike did you see the news about another Deuce on the way from Hobby Boss. CCKW-352 Wood cargo box.
With all the Deuce releases Hobby Boss is getting like Bronco with all their Jeep releases and you know HB will release more they have the open cab on their molds.
Looking forward to seeing some srue shot's of this one.

Hobby Boss 4
Italeri 3
Tamiya 1

The HOBBY BOSS 1/35 Steel Cabs are inaccurately shaped and the doors are wrong, too. See earlier blogs...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hobby Boss 4
Italeri 3
Tamiya 1
Heller 1

AND

I think we should also include ICM's Studebaker US6 candidate. After all it is a Deuce and a Half just by a different auto builder. The ICM offering gives us a very nice variation on the Deuce theme!

The Soviet Union received so many Studebaker US-6 6x6 trucks because the US ARMY had given them a "LIMITED STANDARD" priority rating. This was done because the General Motors CCKW-352 and CCKW-353 6x6 trucks were a superior product. The US NAVY bought a limited number of US-6 trucks, and an also a limited number of the International Harvester 2.5 ton 6x6 trucks as well. The military designation of the International 6-by escapes me at the moment... I'd like to see some "state-of-the-art" International trucks. The old ITALERI "Katyusha" kit is, I believe a "license-built" Soviet equivalent of the International "6-by". Mike would know...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave, As to the Hobby Boss offerings I am waiting for the short wheelbase deuce with the gun ring. When that comes out I will finally buy into what HB is offering and do whatever I have to do to fix their messed up cab and front sheet metal. (VERY disappointed in the mistakes made on the cab by HB on their hard cab fuel truck.)

For some reason HB teased us with the gun truck right after the fuel truck but to my knowledge it has still yet to be released???

I'm just going to keep on building the OLD ITALERI Jimmies with steel cabs- All I need to replace on the ITALERI CCKW kits are the Wheel & Tire Assemblies, as they are undersized. You can buy a TAMIYA Deuce with the correct Wheels & Tire Assemblies for less money than you're going to spend for a resin after-market set of Wheel & Tire Assemblies on ebay, if you keep your eyes open...

There are many superior parts in the ITALERI kit over the TAMIYA kit; for one thing, the ITALERI offering features the correct Main Frame configuration, i.e the cross-section of the Frame Rails are molded in the correct "C"-channel rails, as opposed to TAMIYA's WILDLY INCORRECT "solid" rails. Also, TAMIYA forgot a MAJOR PART in the Steering Assembly, this being the Drag Link-

How're ya gonna steer a vehicle without a Drag Link?!?

And yes, the Drag Link IS visible from certain angles. ITALERI did include Drag Links in all of their Jimmy kits...

The best way to fix the HOBBY BOSS kits is to chuck their Steel Cabs, and buy a ridiculously expensive resin after-market cab, or you can spend a FRACTION of the money and buy an ITALERI Deuce-and-a-half, and with a little bit of finagling, you can fit the ITALERI Steel Cabs onto the HOBBY BOSS OR the TAMIYA, or even the HELLER kits... Need a Soft Cab Jimmy? Use your left-over TAMIYA Soft Cabs with whichever Hard Cab kit that you like. I NEVER throw ANYTHING away, personally...

As I said earlier, I'll just keep on buying the old ITAERI Jimmies, and dress them up with the ABER PE sets, which are THE BEST PE sets that money can buy for the 1/35 Jimmies... These PE sets are easily adaptable to ANY 1/35 Jimmy, even though they are specifically designed to be used with the ITALERI kits. Both Hard Cab and Soft Cab PE sets are offered by ABER...

For a Cargo Box Tarp, I use the HELLER kit's Tarp. The downside of that is that the HELLER Tarp is molded with TOO TIGHT a fit to properly position it on the TAMIYA or ITALERI Cargo Boxes. A LOT of filing and sanding is required to make the Tarp fit properly, and at the right level vis-a-vis the Cargo Box... Some hobby dealers sell an after-market resin Tarp to fit the TAMIYA Jimmy, but at an average of $40 bucks apiece, I think I'll just use some elbow grease, and use the HELLER Tarps, instead...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 02:38 PM UTC
All true! My thoughts exactly.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 05:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For a Cargo Box Tarp, I use the HELLER kit's Tarp. The downside of that is that the HELLER Tarp is molded with TOO TIGHT a fit to properly position it on the TAMIYA or ITALERI Cargo Boxes. A LOT of filing and sanding is required to make the Tarp fit properly, and at the right level vis-a-vis the Cargo Box... Some hobby dealers sell an after-market resin Tarp to fit the TAMIYA Jimmy, but at an average of $40 bucks apiece, I think I'll just use some elbow grease, and use the HELLER Tarps, instead...

[/quote]

F.Y.I. I just swap the entire Heller load box onto the Tamiya Jimmy - problem solved. That also gives me a steel load box variant instead of always using the very nice Tamiya wood load box.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 05:44 PM UTC
Also swapped the entire Heller load box and tarp onto a Studebaker US6 for a somewhat different look!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

F.Y.I. I just swap the entire Heller load box onto the Tamiya Jimmy - problem solved. That also gives me a steel load box variant instead of always using the very nice Tamiya wood load box. [/quote]

Thanks, Mike! That's good to know! In my case, I wanted a wooden cargo box on my single "built-up" TAMIYA Jimmy, so that's why I went to all of the extra effort in making the HELLER Tarp fit my model...

Also, is the ITALERI "Katyusha" a "Sovietized" 2.5 ton 6x6 International?