Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
New 1:35 Russian T-80U From XACTSCALE MODELS
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:01 AM UTC
Looks very nice to my untrained eye. I know I asked this before, but what are those flap-things that hand down on the lower glacis between the tracks for? Also, was this version ever used by anyone in combat?
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
I always assumed the flap on the lower glacias was to help defeat incoming shaped charges but I could be wrong. As far as I know the U hasn't seen combat.

Erik
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
I really like it... and I can usually live with any small error that the majority of people will not notice unless they have a pic of the real thing to stare at and compare between the two.

Now, if the error is something that even someone like me - who is not an expert - can spot as soon as I look at it, then we're talking big problem

Hisham
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Guys;

The Flap that i think your refering too is a Dirt Guard or Dust,
Water, Mud, etc; it keeps Debris off the Glassis Plate and away from the Drivers position. The flap is suppose too be made out of the same Material as the Side Skirts, a Hard Rubber type fabric.

CHEERS; MIKE.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am still worried about the armor fill areas of the front turret quadrants. They look raised with rough weld beads. They should be slightly recessed panels, or at least level, with smooth weld beads:

It looks as though this can be corrected, with some careful sanding and reapplication of the weld seams. Nothing major.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am still worried about the armor fill areas of the front turret quadrants. They look raised with rough weld beads. They should be slightly recessed panels, or at least level, with smooth weld beads:

It looks as though this can be corrected, with some careful sanding and reapplication of the weld seams. Nothing major.

We all know that, but I think the point is why such a mistake in a new kit? Its not a minor one....
If this kind of "miss" was made by some other eastern manufacturers (yes, I´m talking about HB and Trump) a number of people would be by now certainly crying it loud... but since it´s another manufacturer errors never seem so important.
On these days, and with the current pricing level, me myself expect the most accurate kits for my money.
Just my 0.02
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We all know that, but I think the point is why such a mistake in a new kit? Its not a minor one....
If this kind of "miss" was made by some other eastern manufacturers (yes, I´m talking about HB and Trump) a number of people would be by now certainly crying it loud... but since it´s another manufacturer errors never seem so important.
On these days, and with the current pricing level, me myself expect the most accurate kits for my money.
Just my 0.02

When compared to Skif, I would go with Xactscale hands down.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 02:43 AM UTC
Me too, but what´s the point to compare a new kit to Skif´s ones?
Its like saying that any new kit is far better than old Renwall ones, so you´ll accept any inaccuracies they have...

I think that this T-80 is also far better than the Dragon´s T-80´s but still has some errors that must be mentioned -and criticized- so people are able to decide with a better knowledge and advice of what they will get for their money
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 02:46 AM UTC
Some may prefer the older kits, as they enjoy the challenge. This kit has its strengths and weaknesses. I believe that replacing the turret will solve most of Xactscale's offering.
mokush
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 05:42 AM UTC
Replace the turret of kit with this price tag?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Replace the turret of kit with this price tag?

If the hull is that much more improved and you want to be accurate, yes.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:00 AM UTC
Lets let them actually release the kit and get it into our hands before we start planning on replacing the turret and what not. We don't even know what the final kit actually looks like yet. Maybe this turret screw up has been fixed? Lets look on the bright side, shouldn't we be happy a small start up company is releasing a kit we've all been wanting a more accurate version of? It may have its problems, but its better than every other T-80 on the market.

Erik
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:15 AM UTC
Why does this need to be so complicated. If You dont like it, then dont buy it
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:15 AM UTC
For those complaining about the price....your only alternative is spend EVEN MORE on the Skif kit with a ton of aftermarket that prob won't be as nice as the Xacat T-80.

In the grand scheme of things the turret armor isn't a huge issue and is fairly easy fixed with some basic modelling skills. I guess if you just want to throw something together with no thought, why not settle for the Skif kit with no AM if price is an issue?

UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC
it's the best T-80U plastic kit you can get in human history...

trumpeter is doing a T-80BV though, but it will take them years to release a T-80U
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:17 AM UTC
Hi all

I cant help myself with this one I recently went the skif and SP designs route and it does turn out well but it was the only game in town and was not aimed at the novice builder My guess would be that the majority who buy this kit will not know about the
Shortfalls of this kit snd if its an unbearable inaccuracy then fix it In all honesty Im greatfull that we finaly have a nice one stop kit of a T 80 what saddens me is when a new manufacturer comes out with some thing it is almost certain to be scrutinised and usualy sight unseen I think we sometimes forget our lack of subjects like this Kit not so long ago I look forward to this kit and when its available Ill pick one up.

Cheers Cuny12