Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
New 1:35 Russian T-80U From XACTSCALE MODELS
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

I cant help myself with this one I recently went the skif and SP designs route and it does turn out well but it was the only game in town and was not aimed at the novice builder My guess would be that the majority who buy this kit will not know about the
Shortfalls of this kit snd if its an unbearable inaccuracy then fix it In all honesty Im greatfull that we finaly have a nice one stop kit of a T 80 what saddens me is when a new manufacturer comes out with some thing it is almost certain to be scrutinised and usualy sight unseen I think we sometimes forget our lack of subjects like this Kit not so long ago I look forward to this kit and when its available Ill pick one up.

Cheers Cuny12

Hear! Hear! You nailed it!
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi all

I cant help myself with this one I recently went the skif and SP designs route and it does turn out well but it was the only game in town and was not aimed at the novice builder My guess would be that the majority who buy this kit will not know about the
Shortfalls of this kit snd if its an unbearable inaccuracy then fix it In all honesty Im greatfull that we finaly have a nice one stop kit of a T 80 what saddens me is when a new manufacturer comes out with some thing it is almost certain to be scrutinised and usualy sight unseen I think we sometimes forget our lack of subjects like this Kit not so long ago I look forward to this kit and when its available Ill pick one up.

Cheers Cuny12

Hear! Hear! You nailed it!

So I guess we can throw out the kist reviews... who needs them, or Mr. Vodnik´s advice about the M1´s, or PMMS site reviews, etc?
We are just to be happy with new releases, how could I missed that?
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I guess we can throw out the kist reviews... who needs them, or Mr. Vodnik´s advice about the M1´s, or PMMS site reviews, etc?
We are just to be happy with new releases, how could I missed that?

The point is that there is no need to beat the kit up until we actually get the kit! There looks to be a problem with the turret, but IMO its a pretty easy fix with some basic modelling skills.

There is no perfect kit out there and I'm sure you say that there is, I'm sure can find something "wrong" with it.

Even though the kit might cost alot, what hasn't gone up in price? I don't see the flaw with the turret as "fatal", Looks like it can be corrected with maybe an hour or two of work to drill/cut the plates off, then use some sheet styrene to fill in the openings and use some putty to smooth off the transition like on the real T-80.

I'm sure someone will do the same thing and cast it in resin and charge $20-40 bucks for it!

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 03:01 AM UTC
I did not comment on the turret issue to start a "war", I brought it up as I immediately noticed it and I HOPE that the manufacturer will address it BEFORE it is released. Heck, that may be why it is not coming out until July. I cannot be the only T-80U enthusiast who noticed that issue, especially with it being shown off at AMPS Nats.

Even if it does have this problem, it is still looking to be a great kit worth getting. I will be getting one. IF they have done their howework well, I will get more.
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 06:10 AM UTC
T-80U+T-90 from Meng. I''m in heaven.
Trumpeter should come up with a BTR-80 Series
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 06:17 AM UTC
I do hope they fix this. It's not a deal breaker for me but I would be mildly annoyed by it. It's fairly straightforward to fix but it would be nice not to have to. Beats the hell out of fighting with that craptacular Skif kit though!
Nokturnal
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

T-80U+T-90 from Meng. I''m in heaven.
Trumpeter should come up with a BTR-80 Series

They have, well it has been announced at least!

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/14317
RedStar
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 07:37 AM UTC
"We" on the modeling internet have a long and distinguished history of hyperbole and "horribly misshapen monstrosities." It's kind of amusing at this point.

I agree it's a fixable and avoidable flaw, but frankly having the perspective of all of the crappy alternatives and what it took to make a proper T-80 prior to this release and I can happily overlook it.

It really was not that long ago that we had Tamiya T-62s that required EXTENSIVE resin and scratchbuilding to get them even in the ballpark. I for one am grateful that we've come to the point where a flaw like this causes this much anguish, as it shows how far the kits have come.

And that's not to say that reviewing kits and pointing out flaws isn't a worthwhile activity. Somehow if we could get the flaws cataloged and then let each modeler proceed to their own level of satisfaction. That would help a LOT!

The editorializing that comes with the flaws, that's where I think "we" can take it too far, and where we lose perspective. Less editorializing and grandstanding, that would make me happy.

Just sayin'....
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC
I think this T-80U, although flawed, is good enough to show that the manufacturer intends to take Soviet Cold War armor seriously and go the extra mile to give modelers what they want. These vehicles deserve as much respect as other subjects and it's good to see that those of us who've been expecting improvements in accuracy and quality haven't misplaced our trust.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi;
Come On, Flawed !!! We havent even had the kit hit the Shelves yet. Give the Kit a Sporting Chance, then you can say its Flawed after you start putting glue on it
Now what we say, can Make or Break a kit. If Label this kit Flawed it can act as a Virus that will Spread, our Hobby has advanced and has gotten so Precise that we tend too go too far.
Now i can Understand the Need for Perfection, given our current economic turmoil by how Hard we all Work for our hard earned Dollar. Some people want Perfection thats fine, even Demand it. But we can Go Too Far, in our Wants & Demands.
The Manufactures Are Reading what we Say, and are our fellow modelers.

I Say Thank You Xactscale for your T-80; MIKE

hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 05:10 AM UTC
This turned out in a pointless chain of opinions about what "is" important, asi if there is a revealed truth about that...
Nobody said this is kit would end being crap. Some of us just pointed one (ONE!) noticeable mistake in the pics the manufacturer showed. I supposed the idea of revealing pics of a kit in development is not only to publicize it but also to get further feedback...
If the manufacturer is able to improve/correct the kit before releasing it, its a win/win situation for everybody. If not, we all gonna deal with the final product, correcting-super detailing it or not.
But if some -or a lot- of you prefer to ignore this simple fact, be my guests.
I still have hope that this ERA blocks thingy will be corrected in the final release.
Maybe some too sensitive people does not get this at all, and find any comment as an attack to a new manufacturer. Well, there´s a margin chance that all of us may have to widen our mind.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
A fair example of what I mean.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/207489&page=1

You can ask yourself if Dragon will do something about these feedback. Who knows.. (I´ll not hold my breath on that, but the feedback is there if they want to)
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hugo, I get your point. It would be nice to see manufacturer's get some things that are OBVIOUS fixed before release.

I reserve judgement until I see the kit in hand. Anything can happen before they put the kit out.

It is, in my opinion, necessary to look, worry, and speculate over a new kit. Manufacturer's need to know we are paying attention and we are another set of eyes doing quality control. As always, we can let passion take us too far. So don't worry guys. Just take a breath and prep on those crappy DML kits so that once the new T-80 kits hit the shelves you are ready to BUILD them. I will start a build group myself just for it. So take your passion and PREPARE!
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 12:06 PM UTC
moar pics

http://www.sembado.com/photo/SHS_2013/SHS_report.html

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 03:56 PM UTC
Hi;
This looks Pretty Darn Nice, cant wait too get my hands on it.
And it will look great next too my Zvezda T-90
I Wonder how many different conversions it will lead into, altho
im not looking forward too those tracks.
With seperate guide teeth, & track pads.
OMG, i can feel the cramps in my hands already !
Ive already counted half a dozen paint camos, that look super.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi;
This looks Pretty Darn Nice, cant wait too get my hands on it.
And it will look great next too my Zvezda T-90
I Wonder how many different conversions it will lead into, altho
im not looking forward too those tracks.
With seperate guide teeth, & track pads.
OMG, i can feel the cramps in my hands already !
Ive already counted half a dozen paint camos, that look super.

CHEERS; MIKE.

If you look at the parts breakdown then it's easy to see they can make every major sub version including Ukrainian diesel powered ones. Don't know if they will though, but a logical thing to do would be a UK version with parts specific for Cyprus and South Korean tanks (colorful cammo schemes sell well).
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC
You can see the instructions here.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10228337

Hisham
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Everybody;
Man, this looks Better & Better with every post.
Altho there are going too be People who will Pick this kit apart, from what ive seen its real nice.
The Turret is the Broad-M type with the Early style Wind Sensor, and you can Bet Miniarm will come out with a later Mk; turret. The Color Plates are a nice Bonus that the other Manufactures should offer, Concords & Ospreys Books are a Must Have Reference for this Outstanding Kit.

HAPPY MODELING INDEED; CHEERS, MIKE.

Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Everybody;
Man, this looks Better & Better with every post.
Altho there are going too be People who will Pick this kit apart, from what ive seen its real nice.
The Turret is the Broad-M type with the Early style Wind Sensor, and you can Bet Miniarm will come out with a later Mk; turret. The Color Plates are a nice Bonus that the other Manufactures should offer, Concords & Ospreys Books are a Must Have Reference for this Outstanding Kit.

HAPPY MODELING INDEED; CHEERS, MIKE.

There is no later mod turret. All T-80U/UDs have identical turret geometry, the only difference is pre K-5 turrets had sharp edge turret cheeks and K-5 equipped ones had top edge lines smoothed. You can use Miniarm's K-1/3 ERA set to build early T-80U out of the box,I'm sure they will come up with resin T-80B turret set as well.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 01:56 AM UTC
No need for a T-80B turret since Trumpeter is coming out with a kit and xact-scale can do the same themselves. Foolish to invest in a resin turret...I stopped working on mine.

There are 3 turrets, with 2 being very similar. The early one for the K-1/3 ERA was a bit different than the one with K-5. The "early" turret had a very short production run as the T-80U turret was intended to have K-5 ERA right at its begining of design. The "late" turret has a smoother edge, as George stated. Honestly, it is not really noticeable with the ERA on. Essentially, and practically, the turrets are exactly the same.

The turret of the T-80UD differs only in the removal of the AAMG "posts" and the addition of the Remotely Operated Commanders Station AAMG system. Even these changes are cosmetic as the turret is still the same as the T-80U in terms of shape and protection.

Now, the LATER WELDED T-84 turret is different. But the early T-84 turrets (cast) were refurbed T-80UD turrets.

Hope that helps clear things up.

And, sorry to say, it still looks like the turret front quarter armor fill spots are raised and messed up. Not nearly bad enough to keep me from buying, but it is a highly visable goof. Come on Xact, fix that stupid mistake before you release the kit!
Zavod_112
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 02:03 AM UTC
Anybody knows what kind of one piece tracks are we getting?
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 06:14 AM UTC
Vinyl
ZEON_ddr
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:45 AM UTC
this will become the best choice for plastic kit for T80
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 07:05 PM UTC
It's on preorder at HobbyEasy for the end of June.. for around $62.50 plus shipping... around $75 total, so... have to see how good it is.

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/zupqnxx55kwm5jgeilzl.html

Hisham
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Same date as Meng's T-90 -perfect opportunity to re-enter modern eastern armor modeling.