Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
New 1:35 Russian T-80U From XACTSCALE MODELS
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 04:22 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Here in Aussie $70 bucks is about standard for a new release kit & the Aussie $$ is on the same as the green back, if you want it buy it, if not don't some shops sell some models at a higher cost some lower, if your LHS has signed the agreement with PCS, then the price will be what it will be.
As has been said you can always buy online, but just remember if your LHS were to close due to people always buying cheaper online, were would you go window shopping & as someone who is on a committee that arranges shows, if you had no more LHS who would you get to be sponsors & traders at your local shows??

Just my 20cents worth
Mike
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 08:40 PM UTC
I'm with Kurt on this. Plastic kits (no matter what WE might think ) are not vital ítems for our survival (unlike food, heating, red wine, beer and tobacco). They are priced according to what the market can bear - in this case $70 doesn't seem excessive when I see many models HERE at 70 Euros (do the math, and you don't get a 1:1 Exchange rate )
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / España
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 10:18 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

We don't have an inherent right to buy our non-essential luxury goods at prices we like. Paying what the market will bear is what we should all expect and accept, and what we are all doing anyway, it's just that nobody stops to think about it.

Well said Kurt, completely agree. And as you pointed out in your follow-up post, $70 isn't that much, if you put it in perspective. I'll try to get one for less, but I will get one, as I really want a T-80U, and will happily leave some other kits on the shelf in exchange.

Olaf
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC
I disagree with Kurt. Of the kits he listed at least half of them you can get them at a considerable lower price than the list price here in the US. What I really care is the price that I pay and with the price rigidity set by the distributor I won't be able to get a better deal. Sometimes people forget that the hobby is not only made of die hard modelers. Like Jacques said, the model will be measured for the 70 USD + shipping (I would have to drive 2 hours to get to a LHS that maybe would sell this kit). From some of the comments, it seems that the distributor has reach some people's walk away price(not all the people will bear any price). I believe that this is not a good thing for the hobby. Still some people will pay the price as some pay 400 USD for a CH Tunisian Tiger I; maybe only a small percentage. I think that the distributor should take into account the comments in this forum. I am surprised, as others, at the asking price since I was expecting a price closer to what was speculated, HK$380 or 49 USD.

I personally disagree with regional price stratification and rigidity, having been a salesman for seven years. It hurts the local sellers since they don't have any room of maneuver to close the sale. It only protects the distributor's margin.
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / España
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I disagree with Kurt. Of the kits he listed at least half of them you can get them at a considerable lower price than the list price here in the US.

Can you clarify this? Do you mean that you can get the kits, in the US, at less than the list price? Or do you mean that you can get the kits, at less than the US list price? I'm fairly certain you'll be able to get them for less if you're willing to go to Lucky Model or Hobby Easy, for instance, but I'm not sure about vendors within the US - don't live there anymore.

Quoted Text

Sometimes people forget that the hobby is not only made of die hard modelers. Like Jacques said, the model will be measured for the 70 USD + shipping. From some of the comments, it seems that the distributor has reach some people's walk away price. I believe that this is not a good thing for the hobby. Still some people will pay the price as some pay 400 USD for a CH Tunisian Tiger I; maybe only a small percentage. I think that the distributor should take into account the comments in this forum, instead of a take it or leave it atttitude. I am surprised, as others, at the asking price since I was expecting a price closer to what was speculated, HK$380 or 49 USD.

I don't agree that everyone should be able to afford any scale model out there; I can't afford any car or house or computer or sound system either. We're all different people with different finances, wants and needs etc.; all that matters is whether it's worth the price to you. Only time will tell whether this particular kit is worth the price asked. As for the distributor, that's their decision. I know stories about distributors adding quite the mark-up to some kits, which these days will likely result in people going elsewhere to get their kit. Not good for the LHS, but that's between them and the distributor, I'd say. In part because of that, I'll probably order mine from the Far East before it's even out in the UK, but that's my choice too.

Olaf
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC
Olaf,
I can get the kits from vendors in the US at less than the list price for at least half of the items that Kurt listed (i.e BT-7 tamiya list price 70 USD, seller's price 52.99).

It is not that many of us can't afford the price of this kit, but may not be willing to pay the price set in the US. What I have seen in other markets is that if people feel that they can push the prices to whatever they want, and if people don't complain, it will set a trend in the market (soon everybody will be doing it). As a customer I feel that I am entitled to an opinion.

Or do you think that this kit is so much better (10% better) than the 6763 - 1/35 Sd.Kfz.181 Pz.Kpfw.VI Ausf.E Otto Carius Tiger I MID that had a price of 64.99 USD? or 20% better than the Meng Merkava III at a price in some places in the US of 55.99 USD?
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC
Am i missing something? Trumpeter's T-64 series have a MSRP of ~$65. Panda Hobby's Russian 2S6M is in the same ball park. How is $70 out of line for a fairly complicated Russian MBT? Even the Zvezda T-90, which is a recognized steal, is still in the $50's. $70 doesn't seem to be out of line for a kit like this:

http://www.xactscale.com/images/T_80U_1st_test_shot_1.jpg

I am sure even with shipping you could snag one from lucky model or Hobby Easy when they are available for $50-60 with shipping if the fixed price is an issue.

Matt
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 04:26 AM UTC
Actually I heard that the price in HK won't be that much lower this time.. but I also heard that the kit will be very nice.. and that many improvements have been done since that first test shot was taken. So, let's just wait and see the final product, and then judge

Hisham
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 03:16 PM UTC
The main problem is that we do not have a kit to look over yet for the price tag. Everyone here has made a valid point, but those points are over a kit that no one has seen. As stated above, let us sit back and wait for the kit to arrive and get a look at it first. It may end up being a steal at $70. Or not.

Now go build a model. Or have a drink. Maybe a smoke (those damned things will kill you one day). Or even take a nap. I am working on my SP Designs corrections for the SA-6 and doing corrections on the Trumpeter BMP-1. Everyone go comment in those threads now...come on.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sounds like exciting news to me! I'm not put off by the price. I'm hoping you get what you pay for (you sure do with tasca!). The only negative I see is the one piece tracks, but lets wait to see how try look in person before passing judgements.

Lets stay positive!

whats wrong with one piece tracks?

I much prefer individual link tracks to one-piece, as it is easier to get the right sag. Also, individual links pivot more realistically than one-piece tracks (although this is becoming less and less the case nowadays). Personal preference, really
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 11:09 PM UTC
I know it has been said that XACTSCALE MODELS is a new company, but what else have they released? I mean, do they have any reputation yet?

I too think 70 is high but it really depends on what you're getting. Are the parts crisp and clean, or do they need cleanup? How are the instructions? Easy to read or not. Any PE?

I am a bit naive on the new companies so a little insight is needed for me.

At least it's not another Tiger I kit.

~ Jeff
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 04:07 AM UTC
aha, the big money Q

70$ for a kit ! well as long as there are rich modellers there will be kits sold!

the poor sods have to do with left overs from other firms....

if it was a new T55 or T72 and totaly correct,I'd have no problem, but T80,mmmm,big Q
where is the research for potential buyers?

oh well,60+ euro's for kinetic,Meng ect new kits only make me finnish the 100+ kits still in stash,and stop me buying these ones, just have to wait 10,15 years untill another way better( as it's always ) kit to come out, then the vendors will throw them at you (like the older Tamiya stuff these days)

patience is the name of the game

and one can always sell a kidney or grandchild if you really really need one of them gold kits

can't wait on the T80 topic, I bet there are Sovietjunks waiting to shoot at every detail with a navalgun

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if it was a new T55 or T72 and totaly correct,I'd have no problem, but T80,mmmm,big Q

What's wrong with the Tamiya T-55? The real tank had so many modifications over the years that keeping each model straight was so bad that NATO decided just to group the T-54/55 together about 10-15 years ago, instead of breaking it out into two different groups.

The Tamiya T-55 can be built into just about any T-54 or T-55 with very little work with some aftermarket items. Yah you might not be able to do a T-55AV from a single conversion, but you can do it with some scratch building and a couple different conversion/detailing parts.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Everybody;
Man two Different Discussin Groups on Mengs T-80, WHICH one will get the Most Following From a Personal stand-point i cant wait too see it in my Hands, and im already trying too figure out on which version too Build it with.
Like everything Soviet there is about a Thousand different ways it can be built, and in every color in the Rainbow
Starting with the Broad M version or one of the others.
Im going Blind just looking at my Books !
HAPPY MODELING; MIKE.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 08:50 AM UTC
I just received an email for the Russian T-80-U MBT kit # XS-35001 from T S Hobbies for $62.00, sold out now but the price is dropping.

I all ready ordered one for 70.00, we shall see.
Jim
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just received an email for the Russian T-80-U MBT kit # XS-35001 from T S Hobbies for $62.00, sold out now but the price is dropping.

Thanks Mike. Good news!! Maybe at this price I will buy two.
Ken
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 01:04 PM UTC
Greetings,

Production of the first run of the new XACTSCALE MODELS T-80U kit has not been finished yet and none have been shipped to distributors yet, so no one can be "sold out".

Best Regards,

Ken Lawrence
Pacific Coast Models, Inc.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 01:32 PM UTC
Well I look forward to seeing my kit I ordered from you when it is ready.
Have a good evening
Jim
Ken
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I look forward to seeing my kit I ordered from you when it is ready.
Have a good evening
Jim

Hi Jim,

As soon as we the ship has docked, we will post the information.

Best Regards,

Ken
PCM, Inc.
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 01:12 AM UTC
Just to note ,I have not sold any,nor am I taking preorders yet till I know a better arrival date. As for the $70 price tag..the Dragon T28 was around that wasnt it? and that kit was hard for anyone to keep in stock. From what Ive heard, and I have not confirmed this, but Xact Models is also HK Models, which Xact is going to be their armor side name..but ,like I said, its only what I read on another forum.
Ken
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what Ive heard, and I have not confirmed this, but Xact Models is also HK Models, which Xact is going to be their armor side name..but ,like I said, its only what I read on another forum.

Just another unfounded rumor being spread. Please read our press release on our site.

Ken
PCM, Inc.
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
well,like I said, it was only what I heard and your right, a rumor.. but all that info on your site really debunks that rumor doesnt it?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's wrong with the Tamiya T-55? The real tank had so many modifications over the years that keeping each model straight was so bad that NATO decided just to group the T-54/55 together about 10-15 years ago, instead of breaking it out into two different groups.

The Tamiya T-55 can be built into just about any T-54 or T-55 with very little work with some aftermarket items. Yah you might not be able to do a T-55AV from a single conversion, but you can do it with some scratch building and a couple different conversion/detailing parts.

I think issue is that you can't make it any tank in particular without changing something.

KL
Ken
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC

Greetings,

Here is the link to the press release in Model Retailer's on-line edition.

http://www.modelretailer.com/en/The%20Industry/Industry%20News/2013/04/Pacific%20Coast%20Models%20to%20distribute%20Xact%20Scale%20Models.aspx

Regards,

Ken
PCM, Inc.
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 04:03 PM UTC
looks like T-80U gonna be the hottest selling 1/35 model kit this year