Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Unfinished Business
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good !
I will follow those...I have one of those Leo's in stash, and always wanted to get a LAV, how is the Italeri comparing to the latest Trumpeter's ?

I'm working on the LAV right now. The closest I've come to building the Trumpy LAV is my recent Stryker build for the Rapid Recon Campaign. I think the Italeri kit is pretty typical for its age (90s). The plastic is really hard and brittle. The wheels are not that good. All in all, I'd spend a few extra bucks and get the Trumpeter kit. There really isn't a big price difference between the two.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good !
I will follow those...I have one of those Leo's in stash, and always wanted to get a LAV, how is the Italeri comparing to the latest Trumpeter's ?

I'm working on the LAV right now. The closest I've come to building the Trumpy LAV is my recent Stryker build for the Rapid Recon Campaign. I think the Italeri kit is pretty typical for its age (90s). The plastic is really hard and brittle. The wheels are not that good. All in all, I'd spend a few extra bucks and get the Trumpeter kit. There really isn't a big price difference between the two.

Thanks for the info Alex !!
I'll consider that when I'll get into LAV mode !

olivato
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Argentina
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hi everybody!

This is an old project that has been on hold for a long time and now I feel this campaign is perfect to finish it. I´m currently involved in another project, but it is at a different stage, much more constructive, and I really want to paint the soldiers to finish this vignette.
Maybe the structure needs different debris and I think I am going to change the shutters for a plastic one.

And these are my headless "Sleepy Hollow" soldiers, which will be in this diorama.

See you soon!
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 04:38 PM UTC
John,
I forgot. The Italeri kit has a (very) partial interior for the fighting compartment. It's basically a 4x4 cm floor plate, back to back bench, and some fixtures to mount to the rear section inside. The hatches on the rear deck are molded on so you cannot open them to see the interior. The rear doors are molded separately and each has some added detail (latches, vision port). I'm building mine with doors closed...you can't see much interior anyway. Plus, I sealed it up back in the 90s.

Even with the interior, I'd still go with the Trumpy kit. It has to be miles better than the Italeri kit. It's less a slam against Italeri and more of me just being realistic in the improvements between then and now. Here'sa review of the Trumpy kit.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr00349.htm
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 07:29 PM UTC
I concur with Alex's recommendation of the Trumpy LAVs and their Strykers are good too.

Graeme: interesting vehicle. Will be looking ofrward to how that turns out.

Victor: nice vignette....hopefully this campaign will give you the chance to get a-head with it!
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi all! Great to see all of you again and many unfinished project waiting! By this topic reply, I want to ensure that I begin my work within the permitted range of starting date. So, several photos were posted along with the headline page of local newspaper. To avoid double posted topics and to accomodate my existing build log, let allow me to show my progress update through this link: Build Log:"Let Them Go!"Diorama

Thanks for your kind attention guys and please let me know if any error or inappropriate treatment that should be corrected. Have a nice modelling time for us!

Best regards,

Garry
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I've decided to finish my Cromwell for this campaign. I originally started for the 1/48 Scale Campaign but didn't finish it.

Take care,
Don "Lakota"
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To avoid double posted topics and to accomodate my existing build log, let allow me to show my progress update through this link: Build Log:"Let Them Go!"Diorama

Welcome on board Garry. Nice little diorama in your build log there. Look forward to seeing it completed but would ask that you post some pics here as you progress.

Don, a warm welcome for you and your Cromwell too!
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 09:15 PM UTC

Here is where I am with the Tamiya SdKfz 233. As usual, Just OOTB. Tonight I plan on getting the inside painted (second coat) so I can button it up.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome on board Garry. Nice little diorama in your build log there. Look forward to seeing it completed but would ask that you post some pics here as you progress...

Thank you Sean! Sure, I'll report the progress here also, hope that I can learn much better for the future

Kind regards

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is where I am with the Tamiya SdKfz 233. As usual, Just OOTB. Tonight I plan on getting the inside painted (second coat) so I can button it up.

Cool Mr. Gary! How about the camouflage? Are you planning to applied it with single or multiple tone? I always interest how to finish the exterior of many WW II German armor. Wish you all the best Sir!

Kind regards from Indonesia

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And these are my headless "Sleepy Hollow" soldiers, which will be in this diorama...

Your touch on those figures was very neat, almost no excess of putty on everyone of them. Can't wait to see the progress and how they're look cool when ready to stand on your ruined base!

Kind regards from Indonesia,

Garry
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC
funny, just last night I pulled a couple of old shelf queen builds down.
Italeri Mautiler and Flak and their abysmal Ostwind (mostly as an excuse to buy the new DML vers)both got some bench time last night. One of these or some other unfinished projects will be my entry.
Pics later.

Mike
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cool Mr. Gary! How about the camouflage? Are you planning to applied it with single or multiple tone? I always interest how to finish the exterior of many WW II German armor. Wish you all the best Sir!

Kind regards from Indonesia

Garry

Probably just single tone for the North Africa. So far, most of the kits I've built have been early WW2 (Panzer Grey).
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 01:23 AM UTC
Not the best pics, but then again, it's not the best kit...

Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 11:27 AM UTC
OK have 3 choices for this GB and I'll leave that choice to the organiser

first is Tasca's Sherman Firefly, been sitting idle since not long after it was released

Second is Trumpy's 144 USS Gato. Been in this state since 2009

last is Suzuki's Katana Motorcycle, not much done on it before it got shelved due to a move and not restarted about 18 months ago (also has a resin AM rider figure)

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
I started with the LAV-25. As I build this thing, I am working on this I am starting to remember why I never finished this one. At the time, I bought two of them. I built the other one...and then rebuilt it as a police version.

First up, I gave it a proper lookover to see what I had done and what remained to do.

I went ahead and prepainted the chassis and the tires.

The turret had not had any work done to it so I decided to (re-)start there. The kit coax MG was missing so I fabbed one from stretched sprue. I left the hatches and 25mm barrel off for now. This kit's plastic is way too brittle. The ease in which the handles pop off is one of the reasons this one gathered dust for so long.

Here's the turret next to the finished turret from the other LAV-25 I built back in the 90s. It'll probably make it's way onto the rear of a M113 for a what-if project. The white one has been rearmed with a 40mm grenade launcher and a 50 cal.

Rear hull details. I also went ahead an added the exhaust.

And that's where I am at right now.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 11:41 AM UTC
Alex, I remember building that kit back in the ninety's one of the first armor kits I ever built, It was at the stage of modelling that everything went together fine depending on how much glue and paint one used . So I can't really comment on how its going for you now. I also remember my cat remodelled the 25mm So using my spares box I gave it 3 barrel gatling gun, that gave it serious look

Good Luck with it.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
Andrew,
Going in to this, I really had forgotten why I never finished the LAV-25. Then, I was reminded while cementing on the grab handles on the rear. I'm entering the grab handle extravaganza part of the build and I haven't touched the model since last Monday.

The funny thing is that I'll probably pick up the Trumpy LAVs because of this.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 04:28 PM UTC
Built Trumpy's ASLAV a few years ago much nicer (though more in depth) to build.
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hi all, only new here and this will be my second campaign I am taking part in (already in the Trumpeter one).
I have two models that I would like to see finished:
1 - M113 Vulcan SPAG from Academy, had it for 7 years and have only built half of it.
2 - Bronco Panzer II Ausf. D, only have the hull and some of the wheels done with that one. Been sitting on my table for about 2 months now.

I would love to finish the M113 though as it's been waiting a long time to be finished!
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 12:30 AM UTC
Here we go then, the GMC is up first:
The detail painting is started

13.10.13 001

13.10.13 002

now it's down to the cellar and get some gloss on there as a
cover for the washes and chipping to come.

Paul
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
A little more progress here this beautiful weekend in between washing windows, taking down screens and putting up storm windows..

Got the gunners small shield support turned around the right way too..Grey gun with black wash and then gloss coated for next weathering steps, not much to see.

Cab interior

And some work on the Ostwind that got me started in this campaign

Lord, this Italeri kit is a dog!

nico37
Visit this Community
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi all,

i wasn't in the area since a while so it's a pleasure to come back !

Well, here is my entry with my unfinished M4A1(75) Sherman (from a Tasca box) which i failed to finish for the first "trouble in south asia" campaign.
At this time i planed to make a french Sherman during the Indochina war with home made figures.

The box:

Here are pics for how i let it down :

To begin this new campaign, as my figs appeared very ugglies, i removed them and decided to go back to one of the models proposed in the box, a 7th army Sherman in summer of 1944.
So i closed the trapdoors and went on with the assembly :

Some details have to be glued and then i'll begin the olive drab work....

cheers
nico
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 01:06 AM UTC
Well...

I unfortunately don't have a picture of my Tamiya M51 Sherman that I started when it was release at the end of 2011 to show you all. I took about a month to finish the build... but I never got around to actually paint and weather it due to a move. Fast forward a year and a half in the future, and I now have almost finished it and I'll post pictures of it shortly.

Hopefully, I'll be able to receive my ribbon even if I don't have a picture of the completed but unfinished project.

Cheers,

Chris