Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Unfinished Business
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi Chris, and welcome on board. When did you re-start it aand what state is it in today? The whole idea of any campaign is participation with the rest of the group from start (or in the case of this one re-start) to finish and having fun. Now surely you have something else in a half-done state that you can join in with?
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 05:57 AM UTC
Well... I did restart it at the start of October and the only things that needs to be done with it is the placement of the painting of the antenna and a final coat of flat varnish!

Anyway, I'm very happy to have finished and I was able to learn a lot of new techniques with this resurrected build!

Cheers,

Chris
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 11:40 PM UTC
Originally started about 8 years ago.....

I thought I had done more than that but.... Just got a barrel from RB although it has a bit missing. I also seem to be missing the glass for the searchlight, so I need to replace that to. I can't wait to get it finished now. The plan was to try to convert it into a Korean war era version, but I went past the point I could do that so I will just do it a little more OOB.

Paul
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
does that barrel happen to be 35B11 or OQF 75mm MkV?
If so I have one that I ordered and don't need, if you want it drop a PM with your address and I'll send you it.

Paul B
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Yes it is, but it is strang when I bought the kit originally I bought the Aber one and that had no cutouts in the sides! S I have not been having much luck on that one!

Thanks for the offer I will see if I get a reply from the supplier first, but I will let you know if I get no reply.

Paul
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 10:53 PM UTC
Well finally got a start on my kit today and decided to go with an Academy 1/48 Su-30MK Flanker.

After spending a few hours with it at the bench I remember why it got shelved. Over Engineered and Under Designed.

Example? the flaps on the wings are positionable, but there is nothing there to hold them, you just select what angle you want them at, apply glue and hold there until it sets and hope it stays. Also there was a couple of sensors to attach below the engine nacelles, a curved surface and these do dads where flat as tacks?

Where heres some pics of where I started today followed by where I finished tonight.

Kit as I resumed it today (according to the date stamp on my original build pics I originally started that June 2012)

Cockpits (Currently have one of the ejector seats MIA, working on that problem)

Sprues etc.

Current state, getting near paint time.

All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hello fellas! Always great to share my progress work during this campaign to all of you via my existing build log. Again, let allow me to show my progress update through this link: Build Log:"Let Them Go!"Diorama

Thanks for your kind attention guys and please let me know if any error or inappropriate treatment that should be corrected. Have a nice modelling time for us!

Best regards,

Garry
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

There is some great looking progress being shown here. I look forward to seeing more of your builds as they develop.

Here is my update...

As a result of the bushfires here in Sydney, the camping trip that I had planned for last weekend had to be cancelled, leaving me plenty of time to spend at the workbench to get some more work done on finishing up my Panzer 1B to the point where I am happy to call her DONE!

As you will see from the photos below, I have used this time to finish the weathering and add some pigments to the Panzer to give her that dusty sandblasted look. I also painted the 2 figures and a few select accessories/stowage to (hopefully) add interest. After that I painted and weathered the base which it sits on. The base is made of plaster and was quite fun to work with (having never worked with plaster before). After spraying it with a coat of tan, I painted the plinth with a few layers of Burnt Umber oil paint using an old course brush to give the impression of wood grain. Over this I painted a coat of clear gloss. What do you think: does it pass as timber? Meanwhile, I picked out the details in the stones and track marks with a little drybrushing.

This marks my 2nd AFV build and I am quite happy with the way that she has worked out. What do you guys think? I welcome any suggestions, comments, or constructive criticism that you may have for me.

Thanks to John for proposing this campaign and giving me the encouragement needed to dust her off and get her finished. Cheers.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 12:04 PM UTC
I’m planning on finishing up two projects that I started earlier this year. Both are in the 70% build stage. First up my T-55; originally planned to build this as a Slovak T-55C2 mine clearer, but plan to make some changes to it.

Secondly will be my T-44 that I started a build forum on it a while back. Here's the blog I started http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/194280#1627295

Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 03:29 PM UTC
I've been sick and haven't been getting any building done. I figured that while I am feeling so-so I'd put up what pictures I have.

Basic assembly is done and now it's ready for paint.

And it's painted.

Almost fully assembled. I've still got some added bits to put on. I've managed to break off one of the rear wheels (support arm) twice.

Anyway, once I get to feeling better, I'll probably try to knock it on out.
LarryLawler
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 05:24 PM UTC
Hey guys, I hope this works- it's a Tamiya Iraqi T-72, with the Verlinden update kit from years ago. After a long hiatus from building armor, I dug out this approx. 75-80 percent completed model after languishing for about 17 years. At first glance, everything looked as I had left it, un painted but mostly assembled. What I found was that the vinyl tracks had petrified and were falling apart, literally! This forced me to look for an aftermarket fix, as I wanted to experiment with plastic track, so I ordered and received a set of Trumpeter T-72 track. Those have yet to be built and applied.

I also was very interested in attempting some of the new weathering/ paint chipping techniques, and what better a test bed than an Iraqi subject! So, I got some hairspray, and got busy. I apologize for no pre paint pics. Here are the results of my weathering experiments:

Oops- sorry, having an issue with photobucket! Pics to follow soon! Let me know is this is a viable candidate!
Take care!
Larry
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 07:55 PM UTC
A 17-year build definitely qualifies as "Unfinished Business" Larry....although I don't know how you could have taken so long seeing how quick you did the M1132 in the Armoured Car campaign

Andrew, nice job on the Flanker. They are a beautiful looking aircraft. Hopefully you'll get it all done this time.

Paul (Hopfig), that tank barely counts as even started
Paul (1721Lancers): that GMS is coming along nicely

Christopher: two nice looking tanks there.

Alex, great work so far on the LAV.

Nicholas: great detail on the interior of your Sherman.

Mike: two nice German AA pieces underway there!

Jason: nice job! I think that's the first completed build here.

Now I need to dig out my own shelf queen.....probably the 1/350 scale USS Independence LCS. Will get some photos of the current state at the weekend.

hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 12:15 AM UTC
Just a few pics as I am busy trying to clean up all these damn track links!

Oops you might notice the slight glue spillage I am trying to clean up.

The done pile of links, only another 150 or so to go

Paul

P.s and the replacement barrel just turned up, looks good.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
Nice job everyone !!

@Larry Yes, no problem, jump in !!!

@Andrew
Great looking Flanker !! My favourite aircraft !!
LarryLawler
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 11:32 AM UTC
A 17-year build definitely qualifies as "Unfinished Business" Larry....although I don't know how you could have taken so long seeing how quick you did the M1132 in the Armoured Car campaign

Sean, the T-72 was on my bench, amongst other projects, when for whatever reason, I simply stopped doing models. I got heavily into model railroading, and I still do that today. When I was deployed to Iraq, I rekindled my interest in scale military. When I started to become interested in some of the and cool weathering techniques, I thought the T-72 would be a great platform to experiment with, as it was pretty much built.

Regarding my recent Stryker piece, I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely must complete a project once I get it going before I delve into anything new. Back when I was building a lot of plastic, it seemed like all I did was start projects, and then get distracted by another new, neat project, and I'd have multiple pieces in the works, and I'd seem to never compete any of them.

So, when I decided to build for the Armored Car campaign it gave me the motivation to get a project completed in a timely fashion. I realized that I need to slow down on future work, but I still need to push to get the work completed prior to breaking the seals on anything new!

I Hope this explanation offers some insight into how a job can linger for such a long period of time, while another one got finished in a matter of a week! Take care, and I really like this campaign concept. Sometimes one just needs a little motivation to get the job finished up once and for all!
Larry
LarryLawler
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 02:30 PM UTC
Ok, guys, as promised, T-72 pics. The chunks of track were actually vinyl kit tracks, but they hardened and became very brittle over the years. The Trumpeter replacement tracks should do the trick, we'll see! As usual, any comments are welcome!

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pre- paint pics....
Regards,
Larry
Removed by original poster on 10/26/13 - 02:41:16 (GMT).
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 02:42 PM UTC
Larry,
I completely understand. I'm very bad about shifting projects, putting some on the backburner. I'm bad about changing ideas mid-build and even getting held up on a decision involving a build. A planned quick break can easily turn in to years.

I've got a stack of half built kits. That's one of the reasons I often ask about half-built kits being used in these campaigns. Sometimes you need that motivation to get back on a kit. A good example is my LAV-25 for this campaign. If it wasn't for this campaign, I would not done any work on it.
LarryLawler
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 02:49 PM UTC
Here's a shot of the prototype inspiration for the T-72 build, as it is today. This would be a cool load for an early OIF HET project, as this pic was taken in 2003.

Pretty neat shot.
Larry
LarryLawler
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Larry,
I completely understand. I'm very bad about shifting projects, putting some on the backburner. I'm bad about changing ideas mid-build and even getting held up on a decision involving a build. A planned quick break can easily turn in to years.

I've got a stack of half built kits. That's one of the reasons I often ask about half-built kits being used in these campaigns. Sometimes you need that motivation to get back on a kit. A good example is my LAV-25 for this campaign. If it wasn't for this campaign, I would not done any work on it.

Alex,
I couldn't agree more. Sometimes you just need a little shove to get moving. That's the great thing about this particular campaign philosophy!

I kind of feel like I'm cheating by having so much of this project already completed, but the more I look at it, the more I think that there are little things that I'd like to add, or do to the build!

Anyway, it'll get done here in the near future!
Take care,
Larry
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 02:20 PM UTC
Well this one has been sitting around for seven years, I think it's time to finally finish it!

It's the Academy M113 SPAAG, I started this when I didn't own an airbrush so was just going to paint it desert sand. Now I have an airbrush I will be painting it in 3 tone camo.
Still some assembly required though.
LarryLawler
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 05:05 PM UTC
Wow.... Very cool. I always wanted to do one of those, I even think I have someone's. Conversion kit do it, back before anyone had a kit out, perhaps Verlindsn? Anyway, very cool and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished up!
Regards,
Larry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hello fellas! Again, this is my current progress work during this campaign to all for you via my existing build log through this link: Build Log:"Let Them Go!"Diorama

Thanks again for your kind attention guys and please let me know if any error or inappropriate treatment that should be corrected. See ya!

Warm regards from Indonesia,

Garry
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Provided you have no objections I'll use my Somme dio for the campaign. It certainly is unfinished business although I've got a fair bit done these last few weeks. Still lots to do I started the dio back in March 2012.

These additions were made in the last couple of weeks.

To days work

Cheers

Al
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 10:54 AM UTC
It's not a question of some of the few but more like which of the many.

I know builds half way or less completed would be prefered ..... but I have soooooo many unfinished projects! Just joined hoping to actually finish up some of my stash.

Several are left over from past Armorama campaigns as they didn't quite make it to the finish line in time, others are up to 6yrs old or more. I didn't have the heart to show pics of my unfinished scifi stuff or aircraft .....

Brent