Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Japanese Military Campaign
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Managed to finish the painting on the Type 2 Ka-Mi over the weekend. All the pictures that I have are of captured vehicles and none of them show an antenna so I left it off. The pictures also show a dirty waterline stain from their amphibious use and I tried to replicate that.

I have ordered a figure of an IJN tanker to man the hatch, it was in stock when I ordered it, packing the next day and is now listed a "pending" so it might be a while before a commander graces the hatch.

Amazing results!

Jeff
JonDicks
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 02:35 PM UTC
Jumping in with an oldie - I will build straight OOB.

JonDicks
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:50 PM UTC
Some progress. Going together very quickly.
JonDicks
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 12:57 PM UTC
Primer on
JonDicks
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 03:50 PM UTC
Some paint and chipping
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 04:41 PM UTC
Looks good, Jon. The camouflage looks very convincing.

Looking forward to see more
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2015 - 10:44 AM UTC
Some progress on the Type 2 Ka-Mi

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
Looks good so far Chris.

I have the combat version yet to be finished and they're both neat little kits, huh.

Jeff
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 10:25 AM UTC
Some additional work done. The only sanding and filling needed was for the front boat section halves; will need to restore the weld marks on top.

Very fast build. One of Dragons better efforts.

andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 12:23 AM UTC
looking really good!!!!!!
JonDicks
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 02:44 PM UTC
Some more progress.
Some mud texture from Tamiya Texture paints oversprayed with various dark mud effects from AK.
Next will be the washes and some more detailed painting.

The headlight is painted dark silver then filled with 'white' glue.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 05:31 PM UTC
@ Chris Fish. A word of warning. I built the original (non float) version of this kit 2 years ago. I just discovered last week that the tracks have broken in several places and will need to be replaced. They were painted with acrylics so I'm not sure what the problem was.
Sadly I will have to withdraw from this campaign. Family illness and a trip to the UK have stopped me from having any time at the workbench.
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Chris Fish. A word of warning. I built the original (non float) version of this kit 2 years ago. I just discovered last week that the tracks have broken in several places and will need to be replaced. They were painted with acrylics so I'm not sure what the problem was.
Sadly I will have to withdraw from this campaign. Family illness and a trip to the UK have stopped me from having any time at the workbench.

Thanks for the heads up. I already found a crack in the track surface and they have not even been mounted yet. May need to look for after-market alternative.

Hope all turns out well for your family member and a safe trip.
Cam
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:11 AM UTC
Cyber-Hobby put out a set of Individual track links for this kit when it was released, kit 3888 if I got the number off my sign up pic right. I used those on my combat version and have the vinyl tracks left over if someone needs them.
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:56 AM UTC
Quick update on my Ka-Mi. All assembled and the primer coat applied. Ordered a set of Spade Ace tracks. Doing some research on some color options.

Spotted this one at a recent model show. Thought the color used was quite interesting.

Removed by original poster on 10/27/15 - 03:43:18 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 10/28/15 - 03:34:41 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 10/28/15 - 03:36:13 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 10/31/15 - 19:22:45 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 10/31/15 - 19:25:05 (GMT).
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:48 AM UTC
Just started to build my entry, FineMolds Type 60 APC.

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2015 - 04:46 AM UTC
Waiting for the primer to dry on another project so I figured I'd crack open the box for this build.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out how to come up with the markings I need so I have all but abandoned my original plan of painting this as an Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) vehicle. Probably just end up using the kit decals, although not an Iraq Assistance version. Still plenty of work do be done before I hit a decision point.

27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 11:30 AM UTC
Have my main color applied and a coat of clear gloss for decal (not many markings to apply). Need to still paint the road wheels and add the tracks, clear parts, props etc.

ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:36 PM UTC
Decided that we need some more modern subjects in here so I'm also working on these:

After a bit of work, I'm a few steps in on both. Lower hulls done.

The Type 87 AW can be positioned in two ways, and as such, there are two locating holes for the track tension arm. Either still leaves the other locating hole visible, so I filled it in.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC
It's been a while but I'm back with an update on my Trumpy Type82 Command vehicle. Some of this work was done a couple of months ago and I just haven't updated. I've had some issues with this kit and I've just had to stew over them a bit.

Work on the upper hull. Trumpy flashed over what I presume to be gun ports. You have to cut them out for the flaps to fit over them. If they had included an interior for the rear I could see this.
You also have to open up some holes. TRumpy did a decent job marking these. The problem I ran in to is the plastic. This is that older OD styrene. Normally I dislike it based on how it reacts with liquid cement. The problem here was its tendency to "flake" when cut and drilled in to. Fortunately, most of these are for pioneer tools so they should be covered or can be fixed.

Top side. Hatches. The fit of the top panels wasn't great, but were better than the hatches.

The 50cal and you can see I've started adding some of the grab handles. I left the gun shield off until after it is painted.

I decided early on to build this one buttoned up. The problem is that Trumpy wants this one built with the driver and co-driver flaps positioned up. I had to tweak them a little. Also, the flaps don't fit the windows...you don't notice it when they are up.
Added some more handles and detail bits.

I'd been putting off the PE for a bit. I broke down and knocked out the PE. It's actually not bad and I've done this twice before.
Again, more detail bits like handles and lights.

Rear view of PE. You can also see the flaked holes on the side.

Assembly done.

Ready for paint. I was favoring the medium gray/med green scheme they offer for the NBC version. I decided to keep it simple and go dark green/light earth, mainly to help mask the fit issues.
So Testers Dark Green and Light Earth. I masked using Scotch blue masking tape. I had put off painting for a bit because of the weather. It's been rather wet out and I tend to avoid painting when it's humid.

And this is why I don't paint when it's humid. The Light Earth is a little glossy. My other issue is the color. I'm colorblind so it might not be as bad as it looks to me. To me, it doesn't look right.

I'll probably sit on this for a few days before continuing work. I really don't want to repaint this one. Between re-prepping, masking, etc. something will get broken and/or lost. I think I can fix and tone down the light earth in weathering.