Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Japanese Military Campaign
canuck100a
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 04:41 AM UTC
Alex,

Take a break then dive back into it. These things happen but it can be built into a nice little model. I built one for an older Command and Control campaign, was not totally happy with it but it was no fault of the kit.

Eric
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 06:45 AM UTC
Thanks Eric. Nice looking build, by the way. I went for a run earlier and I think I've just about talked myself into repainting it. SO unless I talk myself out of it, I'll do that and I think I'll go overall dark green.
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:00 AM UTC
Type 60 APC progress updating.

majjanelson
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:39 AM UTC
Lap Man,

Looking good so far.

Have you seen my review and blog on the FM's Type 60 APC?

In-Box-Review

Build Log

HTH
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 12:25 PM UTC
Hello Jeff
Your build look great, thanks for your sharing.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 06:25 AM UTC
So many great builds--hope I can do justice.

The Tamiya LAV is so far living up to--exceeding, I would even say--Tamiya's well-earned rep for an immaculate fit. Suspension and interior are essentially done. Just allowing time for the clear on the instrument panel to set so I can put on another coat to level it. Haven't done much additional scratch work on the interior (since it will be mostly hidden) apart from the laptop holder on the center console, but have made a start on the extra detail for the exterior--lots of handles, etc. that need to be added.

Progress has been quick so far in spite of the late start so I'm still holding out hope for an on time finish.

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Other than Tamiya and dragon ,what other kits are out there ?

FineMolds has an extensive line of IJA armor. Their Tyoe 97 tankette is particularly nice as it comes with a complete interior.

Trumpeter does quite a few JGSDF kits. Remember that the M24 Chaffee, M4A3E8 Sherman, and M41 also saw service with the JGSDF. Asuka makes the M4A3E8 is JGSDF markings, Bronco does the M24 in JGSDF markings (possibly AFV Club also). I don't know if any of the M41s from AFV Club are in JGSDF markings but I'm pretty sure that Tamiya comes with them. Fine Molds also make a Type 61 that is quite a bit newer than the old Tamiya kit.

Aoshima makes quite an extensive line of JGSDF vehicles in 1/72.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:36 AM UTC
Update on the JGSDF Command Vehicle.

Last update we had a bit of a mishap with the paint. I had gone with the green and earth color scheme. Unfortunately the earth color appeared more orange-ish than it should have. I tried to soften the earth color with a couple of thin coats of dark green. It didn't tone it down like I had hoped. I debated on repainting it. I ended up just respraying it overall dark green.

Added tools.

Other side showing adding the tow cable. Tape is holding the last loop in position until glue sets.

Dry-brushed and detail painting done. Decals added.

And with that I'm calling this one done. It was an okay kit. To me the recon version is still the better of the three kits. I might repaint the command one later with the medium gray and green scheme. To be honest, I'm just glad to be done with it. I really had to force myself to build this one.

PrickleHead
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:33 PM UTC
Am starting on my Type 97

canuck100a
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 04:30 PM UTC
Turned out really nice Alex.

Eric
Removed by original poster on 12/01/15 - 06:47:53 (GMT).
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:45 PM UTC
I might still be able to bring this off by the original deadline, but the trans-Pacific move, hosting the whole family for Thanksgiving, and preps for the holidays have really put a kink in my bench time. Any chance of getting an extension of two weeks or so?

Still have not found an acceptable way to reproduce the JASDF markings on my LAV so it's probably going to have to be finished as an unmarked vehicle. Very disappointing, but I've completely run out of ideas.

Going to try to scratchbuild the brush guards for the headlamps this weekend. First attempt took up an entire weekend with sub-par results. Think I may have the solution this time.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 06:50 AM UTC
Probably still going to need the extension, but at least I can declare victory of sorts on the brushguards. I spent an entire weekend trying unsuccessfully to get a decently matching set without success, but it got me thinking about another approach. Having come home from work today feeling ambitious I set to with a will...

I created a template using PowerPoint, and glued it to a piece of scrap acrylic:

Then chucked a .3mm drill bit in the Dremel with my Stewart-MacDonald precision router base to drill holes for the 'feet' of the brush guards. This would make sure everything stays aligned while I work:

I used brass wire from a bottle of Schwartze-Katz and paste solder to produce a couple of reasonably well-matched brushguards:

And the finished result:

Not perfect, but I think with some paint and the SKP lenses installed it will look okay.

TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:53 AM UTC
OK I'd better really get boogieing on this build! A late model Type 97.

Had such fun with the Modelkasten tracks. Great detail but fiddly and rather fragile! Here's some sections I was working on:

Here's an example of the tiny pin used each side of the track. Note that there is section that needs glue and the tip you are supposed to keep glue off! When I was almost done I got smarter and left some sprue on to make it easier to hold the tiny pin:

In the end I had to treat them like regular individual links and cement them in place. This seemed like the only way to get the right sag. Hope I can still paint 'em up nice!

Finally the ugly underside - the dreaded Tamiya open sponsons rear their head plus ejection marks. Doesn't need to be absolutely perfect but shouldn't be too rough either!

That's it for now.
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 12:12 PM UTC
Type 60 progress update.

andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:19 AM UTC
great work so far on everything guys, I'm cool with a two week extension, if that will allow time for those to complete what they need to get done, then I'm all for it!
bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not perfect, but I think with some paint and the SKP lenses installed it will look okay.

Mark,

Definitely an inspiration for when I finally dig the LAV out and work on it. The brush guards turned out beautifully.... and much better than flat PE ones.

Later,
Bob
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:36 PM UTC
Thanks, Bob. I guess there's a PE upgrade set for this thing out there, but to be honest I didn't think there were enough bits on this kit that PE would have improved noticeably and that I couldn't scratch build (e.g.: rear mud flaps, etc. That said, PE brush guards would have saved me a ton of heartache.

JonDicks
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 04:44 PM UTC
Thanks everyone. All done with my Type 97. Great campaign!
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 07:33 PM UTC
Cool, Jon!

Managed to finish mine up this weekend as well. Had no few wardrobe malfunctions during the final detailing, and I'm still perturbed about not being able to come up with a solution for the JASDF markings, but it's time to put this build to bed so I can relax for the holidays.

andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 07:57 PM UTC
gorgeous work you guys!!!!

there are some cracking builds here!
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

great work so far on everything guys, I'm cool with a two week extension, if that will allow time for those to complete what they need to get done, then I'm all for it!

a two week extension would be great!
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

a two week extension would be great!

Let's just roll it till the end of January, with the holidays and vacations, this should work out better.
Scoutmaster
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

Substituting this Braille Type 4 Ke-Nu Light Tank over my earlier Type 74 MBT.

Floor Monster ate some of the parts of the Type 74 and I just don't have time to scratchbuild replacement parts.

Restarted my build to:

Working on and off on this project, here are my work-in-progress photos:

1. Assembled the upper and lower hulls, running gears and sagged the tank tracks:

2. Completed the Turret Assembly, added the muffler and prepping both assemblies for painting. Pioneering tools and the PE Burn Protection screen to be added after painting.:

Stay tune for further updates...

Happy Holidays and a Prosperous 2016 to all...
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:41 AM UTC
Does the deadline of January 30th/31st 2016 work for everyone?