1/35 Truck Fabrication shop
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hi William,

Thanks for the nice words - they're appreciated! No, the only thing close to publishing for me is here on Armorama(!) this forum is great for discussion, seeing many great builds, and sharing work. As for my model building, it's something I was away from for many years.

I started again essentially as a stress reduction tool! No emails, no phone calls, no work scope/client, and no schedule. It was really helpful in a time when I was working all the time, perpetually jet-lagged and in need of some clear downtime. I started with model railroading - turns out, I build better buildings than railroads!! I sold my layout two weeks ago - the guy who bought it will no doubt toss the railroad and keep the buildings! I learned much about model building and weathering - and developed a willingness to try new materials and subjects.

To your point about new materials - I mix and match a lot - that is, materials intended for use with models, but anything else that looks interesting. As projects generally take time anyway, a detour with a new material or two can really only go so wrong - that is, if it fails, salvage it (or toss it out!) and try again, usually not much harm done. I don't think that theory applies to someone doing a truly faithful recreation of something, but there's trial and error in play when doing a full scratch build too.

As for what you want to do - just try - start with something that if it turns out perfect, great! If not, who cares? You'll no doubt pick up more and more tricks as you keep going - I suppose you could say model building is like golf or playing an instrument - you're only doing it for yourself, so do what you want and like.

Armorama is clearly a remarkable resource - I look in each forum, just to see what people are doing - and in dioramas, there are so many people doing such diverse and interesting work - you will pick up techniques and ideas - you can also post questions - someone will likely have an idea or two to share.

It's funny - if you look above you'll see me whining about doing figures (and the results!) well, to the points clearly made by Romain and Jerry - if you don't start, you won't get better - and, they're right. I have a long way to go before I can get my figures from the "decent" range, to the "good" range, and longer still to the Jerry and Romain (BTW, Dave's figures are pretty great too!, and Kurt, and Alan, and Conor!!!) range, but that's the goal!

Ok - have a good one - happy model building!

Nick

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:52 PM UTC
Hi Nick,

thanks for the sneak peek!! I was eager to see some of your figures after chatting so long!

You definitely "think big" with figures as well!! Already trying to convert and fit into a storyline...not the easiest task, but most interesting surely!!

There is basically nothing wrong with your painting (at least not visible at this distance, and that's really the point). My first figures were not half as good as these! You can accentuate certain aspects a bit more, in order to break up larger "areas" a little, but so far I must say I'm impressed! Especially with the faces...they look RIGHT from this distance!!!
Not bad for a "beginner"!!!

The "types" of persons are another fascinating aspect of figure modelling. Physique and physiognomy, body language and naturally clothing style are vital elements, and you are already far into that alley! Well done here as well!!!

Just don't fall into the "stereotype/caricature" trap!!
What is peculiar to figures is that in real life there ARE guys who look like their own caricature, even guys who look totally "out of scale", a thing that will not happen to vehicles of course, but while we are willing to accept these oddities in real life (we have no choice, have we ), our acceptance level in dioramas is far lower!

When I look at your figures, I can put several of them into a very different surrounding. They would fit in perfectly. And you know what I'm talking about!

However....remember that Rome wasn't built in one day!! Be patient and go on practising!!

The results will be rewarding, believe me!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC
Well alrighty then!! If that was your first step in the world of figgies then it was indeed a giant step bro.
You described the personalities but didn't really have to. And that means success,
You will only take this great start and now improve on it as you have all of the skill and talent required,just need practice.
I love that you made a few of the guys chunky-very accurate portrayal of modern america. Sadly(myself included)
NICE!!!
I would say that you could use a bit more dull coat on the cloths as they still have a bit of a sheen? Tamiya makes a good dull coat.
PS
Thanks for the kind words as well.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hello Nick ,

those figures are far from bad , in fact i think they are well painted. It's always nice when you receive positive criticism because it's a sign your work is appreciated.

I agree with the comments of Jerry and Romain

Cheers

Kurt

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 01:44 PM UTC
I would have to agree with Romain, Jerry and Kurt and everyone else who will ultimitely say exactly the same thing:

your figures are a great effort, and who would have thought anything but the results we see. Great work Nick. my first figures that I did were no where close to these ones.

Keep practising and you will surely see improvements that will make you want to just keep trying new things. I personally like the two guys who sorta leaning over what will probably be a table filled with blueprints or spec sheets, the guy with his hands in his pockets, and the guy with the light pants and his arms crossed. He looks very unimpressed.

looks good so far

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hi guys - thanks for checking in - my take home note from this, like anything, might be you get what you pay for. The guys in the "office" clothes (?) are modified MK-35 figs I purchased a long time ago for something else - the other guys are mostly Trumpeter, plus one guy from Ditji. Several of them have Hornet heads.

The MK guys looked pretty good right after primer - the only chance to really mess them up was on paint (and I think one hornet head looks small)

The portly guys are the trumpeter bodies, with no changes except heads. In comparison to the other guys, they look like they could be 1/34, 1/32 scale? But pretty big guys in any event. The fit (arms, legs, torso) are each a bit awkward too...Romain - maybe leading to the characature note you observed? Same Jerry to their bulk (?) I don't know - but they do look big. That said, they are less expensive, and maybe better for other projects...? Who knows - they aren't awful, just not subtle - hence, my choice in the more intense?/interesting bearded hornet heads - just big guys

I'm working on a few Verlinden mechanics right now - and, again Romain, to your point, a few of these guys look very exaggerated - so, I've tried to tone them down - different heads, repositioning their bodies - again, these guys are supposed to be regular guys working - as is from the box, they look a bit like comic book characters, and maybe overly expressive (?)

Romain to your point about repurposing and experimentation, yes! The goal with these guys is to pick up as much as I can on figures that don't play a starring role - so that by the time I try to focus on the guys, (next project) they look better -

I think these guys turned out better than the last batch - and at least a few of them will be placed where you can see them(!) - not like before

I'll keep at it - thanks for having a look

Nick
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hello - I'm going to try a quick lunch time posting! but some good stuff - some of my figures found a home and more progress was made on the apparently never ending roof construction job - have a look:

I'm fairly pleased with this result - for these guys - I made too much of a deal over such simple figures - they turned out fine - and, are not nearly as complicated as what many of the rest of you are building!! I also discovered that the idea of dry brushing with acrylics for faces might be the way to go - works for me anyway...

More guys:

So these guys are busy talking shop - very serious indeed!

This guy has been around for a while but never had a decent pic -

Some work on more trusses! over the curving wall. These were/are surprisingly fragile - not all that complicated, but not at all forgiving during installation - you can see little braces between each. These actually help to stiffen the roof!

OK - here we go:

finally down to only a few walls to be built, ground plane stuff and yes, one last M1141!

there you have it! - thanks for having a look.

Nick
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
FANTASTIC !!!! Nick those figures are very good , very realistic and very entertaining.

We want more of course !

Well done !

Cheers ,

Kurt
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:56 AM UTC
Good lord man..... it looks real
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:11 PM UTC
Hi guys - thanks for stopping by -

Kurt - thanks! It's getting close to wrapping this up, but I seem to have thought that for a while. (You finishing was great to see!) In addition to obvious gaps, I still need to make more furniture for the office - chairs and file cabinets primarily -

Matt - I thought you might like the machine shop photo - I too am experiencing a bit of model building fatigue - so, as I'm not building too much right now, I decided to go back and look at some of what's been finished - like the shop.

I worked late tonight, so I'm not going to the bench - maybe tomorrow...

Thanks for checking it out.

Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:32 PM UTC

Hi Nick,

you have taken the plunge and put the figures inside!

Well done that! "One step beyond" ....was the title back then!

For similar scenes (rather civilian, not SOP soldiers etc) there are "defused" heads, i.e. less martial, ..relaxed, laughing, etc.

You understand what I mean! These guys look a little tense, and their faces are a tad on the coarse/lumpen side.

Your painting however is not bad at all!! A few small additions here and there maybe, but overall, you have done very well already!!

Congratulations Sir!!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Those guys fit right in there! They are very very nice and I think you are pulling our leg man,you obviously can't just be starting to paint figs? Either that or your learning curve is very fast!! Nice job.
No need to worry,that's for sure.
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi Romain - yeah - some of the guys are pretty aggressive. That was not really intentional, those were the only Hornet heads with hair I could find at the time...maybe not the best overall effect. The MK figures (with heads) just look serious. I get your point tho - good practice anyway, and something to be aware of.

Hi Jerry, well, no I haven't built too many figures. Prior to this round of figures, I was going through the motion of painting them, but not clearly thinking about what they were supposed to look like when done. I didn't want overtly simple or mediocre figures to ruin this build. Before this set of guys, my figures looked like brightly colored manikins with flesh colored blobs for hands and heads. That won't cut it anymore.

I think the three biggest changes in my (acrylic painting) process were:
( in addition to comments and conversations here!)

1) to spray and acrylic Medium over the primer coat before painting the base - I was having problems keeping hand brushed paint in control - essentially anywhere. I suppose the spray leaves enough bite that the paint works/adheres better/more evenly.

2) after putting a base color on each face (normal, brush on approach) the color variance comes via layers of dry brushing - maybe I'm the last to realize this, but I had been trying to "paint" on color tone - I can't do it; the results are bad.

3) I've been using acrylic washes made by a company called "Secret Weapon" - maybe for gaming? Anyway - it helps with eye area, ears, fingers - essentially like pin washes on vehicles - again, not trying to "paint on" every detail - some day I will, but as of now, I need to get better at the basics.

Oh yeah - #4: more patience!!!

So - yes, I'm an amateur at figures, but trying to get better at it! You guys who are good at it set a high bar! Something to shoot for

Thanks for your comments -
Cheers
Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:58 AM UTC

Hi Nick,

as you said above, the workshop is simply too good to be "ruined" by mediocre or bad figures.

That is precisely the reason why I decided to "get involved" and help.

Figures are not easy to master, nobody says that (at least should not ) but you can achieve pretty good results by being attentive and patient.

Look where you are now....and that's only the beginning!!

Cheers

Romain
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi Romain,

Your help is appreciated! I think specifically you and Jerry encouraging me to think more about actual content and purpose for figures - heck, if I can add brake lines or new suspensions on trucks - I need to put that much thought into figures too - as you've preached patience, Jerry has advocated practice - you're each right! While I'm not in either of your leagues of skill yet - they're getting better.

As you've already suggested - improving this skill will be crucial for the next project!

Thanks again,

Nick
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 08:02 AM UTC
Kurt - thanks! It's getting close to wrapping this up, but I seem to have thought that for a while. (You finishing was great to see!) In addition to obvious gaps, I still need to make more furniture for the office - chairs and file cabinets primarily -

Hello Nick ,

yes it's always difficult to find the right way to end a build( if i may say so ?). It is a very beautiful diorama and you are planning to make more furniture and other items wich i think it will be great because it will show the dimensions in a better way.

In each way you are showing to have the expertise to build , to paint and wheathering figures , vehicles and buildings.

That means to me that you are a very complete modeller !

Cheers to that !

Kurt

turkeyshot
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:48 PM UTC
Wow Nick! Every time that I come back to this thread it just keeps getting more and more amazing! Anyone looking at these pics could be forgiven for thinking that they were looking at a real 1:1 workshop. Truly excellent work, mate. You're blowing me away dude!
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi Kurt - thanks - I think the points you raise drive each of us! it's fun to see what people are willing to try - like your recent build - nice! mixing eras, materials and inventing your own theme!

Thanks Jason - fingers crossed, the build keeps that life-like quality! - along the way I've torn out, repainted, or completely redone elements of the build because they just couldn't cut it! - that is, bright shiny something, out of scale, awkward looking etc - when its wrong, you can see it pretty fast!

Which conveniently leads me to a couple more figures - just working guys - something I want to work on is painting clothing with some variance in color value - that is, these guys look a bit like nicely painted resin figures...just not actual people (!?!) - I think it's because of the monochromatic quality of their clothes -

Romain - the guy looking like he is doing calisthenics is actually lifting a long bracket into the back of the RG - the part is made from a few extra etch pieces - with your advice, I've been trying to consider a bit more carefully what these guys are doing relative to their position...uhhh....maybe like the work Jerry does???!.

The hands on this guy look a bit off, but at least not altogether wrong...next, figuring out how to shade/shadow a figure.

So the guys seem to be getting better - aside from the note above - but, progress nonetheless!

A special tip-o-the-Xacto to our friend Matt, who has stuck with this post along the way. He was nice enough to mail me a few of his extra cast resin odds and ends - including a really nice arc welder he scratch built! -

So, it received a prominent home! - I've added an outdoor welding area along the curving wall - including the welder, which I placed on a cart with some tool boxes, and after a quick look through the extra etch, found some material that look a lot like gauge cluster and dial - the rest, just stuff you might see in a welding area - check it out:

thanks for checking it out -

Nick
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:35 AM UTC
Phenomenal, and it continues . . .

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:56 AM UTC
Outstanding additions! The welder loks just like I'd invisioned it.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:50 PM UTC

Hej Nick,

those 2 figgies in the first pic are really nice!! They are doing reasonable things without any backward salto!

That's the right way to go about it m8!!! And shading...well, you can see the darker areas already on this picture, can't you. If in doubt, take a hand-torch and light the figure from above, moving it (the lamp) around in circles.

Light shading or heavy is a debate among fig painters. I usually go with "it must look right!"

That welding place and the workshop overall just look "right", i.e. real!! You simply don't question that weathering!! And I've been carefully looking, believe me!

Kudos to your talent Sir!!

Cheers

Romain

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hi- I have a brief post today -

KoSPrueOne, Thanks! this has been quite a task - it appears, its getting close to being finished!!

Matt - that welder is great! thanks again

Romain - hi - thanks for dropping in as always! one day...I hope my figures are as convincing as other parts of the build!

On to some progress - I found two pics on line of a heavily used M1114 - at this point, I don't have a record of the source, so, I won't post the pics - sorry - I'm not sure what the protocol is....in any case, it was used in Afghanistan, and I really liked it.

The build is based on a Bronco version, with few aftermarket parts (the protection above the GPK is from Perfect Scale Modelbrau and fit just fine). You'll see some scratch parts too - the rear fuel/water/tire rack, and the tall exhaust.

The purpose was to try and match the real truck (hence the colors, missing headlight, crack in the hood (left front side), weathering etc), unlike the other vehicles in the shop which reflect the "typical" truck.

Please have a look:

So, there you have it - I liked this build. This truck will be parked along side the workshop, in for an overhaul if you look carefully you'll see the hood and rear canopy are both slightly ajar - suggesting it's in for service.

Next - finish the shop!!!! I still have a few tasks to wrap up, but completion is in sight!

thanks for dropping by

cheers
Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:15 PM UTC

Wow!! Simply phenomenal!!!

And the Humvee has come a long way!

Cheers