1/35 Truck Fabrication shop
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:27 AM UTC
That's the same one I found.... along with a couple CAD renderings of it.......... I swear I have ADHD when it comes to ideas for projects!!!
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hello Nick ,

the hole time you are creating this and i have not responded yet..

It looks fantastic and its shows your excellent skills .

Lots of congratulations...

Greets

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hi Matt -I guess I too suffer from ADHD when it comes to ideas and reference material (Haha) I'd like to have some sort of an electronic notebook tied to outlook just to keep track of my "new" ideas and kits. Tied to outlook just so the ideas would pop up now and then...just so I can remember them! - I tend to get into one little project then space on whatever "great" idea led up to the project at hand...and weeks later come across the special parts or ideas that were "so critical" to the build...I guess they weren't "that" critical...that said, I hate finishing something knowing when I started, the intent was different! It all seems to come out in the wash - like a football game - if things aren't going so well in the first half - change in the second

Hi Kurt - thanks for the support. I'm living up to my login name today (Stickframe) working on the front half of the roof - no PE or resin today, just basswood. If I make enough progress I'll try to post some images tomorrow -

Thanks for having a look
Cheers
Nick
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hello - i had a fairly productive last week and weekend and was able to make some real progress on the roof covering the area already shown - please have a look:

The images above give a fairly complete walk around of the new work. This included finishing the bow trusses, adding rafters, and building, painting and weathering of the siding.

This led to some nice interior images too:

An interesting result of the trusses is the nice views from inside looking up! in addition to the framing and nbws, the tension rods and ceiling lights add to it -

uhhhh....yeah, about my "figures"....I was close to simply "forgetting" post them....an area I need to work on...for now, they can be seen, but are not the focus of various scenes....i'll let the building and trucks do the talking!

The two above show, first, an aerial of all that is built so far - and clearly poses the question of what to do next? - the second shows some study stetches of the curving wall and what to do with the second floor(?) or roof(?)over the back half of the building

While taking the pictures above, I noticed the immediate contrast between the front and rear halves of the building -The front is very busy and while the back, very clean and simple....which made me wonder about what the completed interior and roof framing (for the back half)might look like?

I began sketching some more and decided I'm going to think about this for a while more before i go back to building. I'm pleased with what has been built so far, and dont want to go overboard with the back half and screw up the overall look...

OK - thanks for checking this out -

Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Scary realism.
J
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scary realism.
J

Exactly.

Getting out of hand, why not build the rest thing? It would probably be easier.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:41 AM UTC
Amazing work Nick and the sketch is a very nice drawing by the way !

Greets

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:31 AM UTC
Christopher - that's the fun of it!!! being able to make it look real! and, on the brighter side, I don't need permits, there's no design review committee or bank approving or denying, I can build as fast os slow as I want, and when it's done...just on to another build!

but, you could be right....slower than the real thing...maybe...

Jerry - -just like the shell casings, mud, grass, and stone wall you are currently doing....(which looks great)

Hi Kurt - thanks. I wind up doing a variety of sketches and never settle on a set of plans per se. This might sound odd, but i sometimes essentially build myself into a challnge to figure out how to get out of it! (like kitbashing the Maxx Pro...!) the drawing help to sort it out, or at least help to get ideas moving -

thanks for your comments -

cheers
Nick
cassshay
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC
Great work Nick, I can hardly wait to see this build with the other one you did side by side. Also looking forward to the next project in the series, the heavey build shop.

Mark
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:10 PM UTC
Nick,

It's looking outstanding!!!

I recognize the IM figures.... It's actually a set I'm looking at getting for mine. Too bad the roundhouse is off limits to non test department personnel here... or I'd be able to get some pics. Hell, I haven't even made it out to the shop because of my workload.

A jib crane might be an addition to consider. The assembly floor has one on almost every column.

TMD chain hoist is a nice option for it.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:32 AM UTC
Nice to finally see the debut of your figgies. I think you are too hard on yourself they look good to me!! Maybe a bit of dullcoat needed on a few of them here and there unless you were trying for the"sharkskin hoodie" look? Heehee
This is freekin awesome work dude and I know I've said it a few times but there are outside pics that you've taken where I can't tell if it's"real or memorex".
Now that last phrase really dates me.
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi Mark - or, "Cassshay" - what I need now is a gear driven yard loco!!! Haha - thanks for checking in - you know, I've thought about the two building pic...hmmm
Maybe a group photo when this is done! As for the next project, not decided if I'm going to the heavy shop or restoration shop first...we'll see - that will be a while in any case

Hi Matt - that jib crane is perfect! Great idea! I know where I want to put in at least one! Yes, those are the IM figures (some of them) very nice quality - i had to cut and reposition some arms and torsos, but in the hands of a better figure modeler than me, they'd look great!

Jerry - I remember that ad! It's memorex! And you can tell by the "shine" on those figures(!) god ( me, haha) might come in from above tonight with a 1/0 and some dulcote! Then, we can ask again if it's live or memorex!

Thanks for checking it out
Nick
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:30 AM UTC
Dear Nick,

With great respect I have followed your build!
To be honest, in the beginning, I just scrolled the photos and thought it was a real workshop. Until I started reading: than I started wondering and admiring.

After your blog and this one, from another artist like you:

http://www.proartmodels.be/gallery/gallery22.html

I certainly do not dare to start a dio!

Respect for your build and thanks for showing
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:22 PM UTC
Bump... hoping for an update...
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bump... hoping for an update...

You're not the only one...
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi Paul - thanks! as for trying a dio, you should give it a go - maybe start with something managable (not huge!) that you like - and see where it takes you -

Matt and Greg - thanks for the kick! - I've been making little bits of progress - see below. Work, running short on ideas, and out of materials has me a bit bogged down!

As for the next big steps: the back of the building. I need to decide once and for all what i want to do with it. There was supposed to be catwalks and a second floor...etc. Now, i'm not so sure - i don't want to go overboard and screw up the rest of the model....so - I'm doing odds and ends in the meantime, and trying to decide...

Matt - one way or other I'm going to get one of those jib cranes installed! I ordered a hoist from TMD, just waiting for it to arrive -

as for odds and ends, have a look:

Sorry about the pics - taken on my way out the door for work this AM! - you can see above, i added a litte asphalt driveway along the side - this is cork sheet, with "ruts" cut in then painted with a variety of acrylics - then - adding in model railroad track balast - its real rock and sand...so it looks ok - and i think the scale is pretty close...

next step - finish some siding:

I ran out of both paint and styrene (siding), so, with a restock some remaining areas in the front half of the building were filled in.

The next two focus on the real problem at hand - what to do with the back half of the building the little template is paper and the basswood - just laying there....but, you get the point, this area's a bit complicated, so i'm doing some headscratching....

I'm also out of windows - so, will need to order some more of the frames...and keep thinking....and trying to come up with the right idea!

thanks for checking it out...hopfefully better results (actually, more progress!) in the future!

Nick
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:43 PM UTC
Nick,

Looking good!!! On the back of the building, what about adding a rack of steel and maybe some more of the pallet/crates of junk parts, sheet steel stored on pallets??

What have you been using for windows??

I found this website that has roofing/siding that's in 1:32 to 1:35 scale (They're in France) I'm contemplating an order when ye old tax refund gets here.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hey Matt - thanks for dropping by! The steel or tubing rack is a good idea.... I've got to finish the building first !!!! (Haha) I made some progress last night with some framing, and might finally be headed in the right direction. The French site has some cool stuff - thanks.

My windows are laser cut thin plywood with adhesive backing from Rusty Stumps Scale Models - Walt made these to match my specs ...but, he's too busy to do custom work these days....so, no more custom parts for you or me....that said, Walt has kept my job files (in CAD) so they can be ordered again - and they will be by me! If you contact him via their website he can let you know what can be done -

Thanks

Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:04 AM UTC
What the.....? Every time I see an update I never know what to expect. That side road and beater trucks is awesome dude!
J
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:42 AM UTC
Just another Bump.......knowing you're waiting on more Supplies.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hey Matt - thanks for the bump - yeah, you hit the nail on the head - I'm waiting for some parts to arrive - which unfortunately might be a while, as the supplier has been hit pretty hard by bad weather - so much so, that he's closing the shop for a couple of weeks and visiting a warmer place! - good - he should!

In the meantime, I'm tackling the roof/second floor framing - while essential to this ( or any) build, not too good for photos - lots and lots of styrene nuggets, bits, little wall/floor sections, trusses....you get it. I have built and installed one of those jib cranes - it's pretty cool - oddly more difficult to do than it looks! - If I make any decent headway I'll snap some shots, and maybe post tomorrow or later in the week.

Jerry - you figured it out! I fool around with buildings and trucks (at unnecessary length!) to avoid building people!!! In addition to the above, during this slow phase - maybe I'll force myself to work on a few more figures. I purchased a Verlinden kit with 3 mechanics - finally some guys that are actually intended to be used in a shop. They're pretty straight forward, so probably good for me - if for nothing else than to practice painting them in a convincing way -

Thanks for having a look

Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Matt - thanks for dropping by! The steel or tubing rack is a good idea.... I've got to finish the building first !!!! (Haha) I made some progress last night with some framing, and might finally be headed in the right direction. The French site has some cool stuff - thanks.

Hi Nick,

should you need any help for contacting the frenchies, just let me know! I might be useful (for once ).

Cheers

Romain
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:45 PM UTC
Romain my friend, your sage advice is never far! (And positive words!)

Both of which are helpful right now - the trusty Patriot 105 decided to gum up tonight - so, the "quick" priming project has completely derailed!! I did get the primer down on two long wall subframes - the area over my through drive aisle. The plan is to, at a minimum get my base colors down tonight. I don't think I have the patience or energy to weather them tonight tho - tomorrow's job!

You might want to take a look at the (French) products Matt noted - some pretty interesting stuff. On a separate note, I also found a US supplier for the foam board you suggested, and they noted that the odor less CA I use (Bob Smith Gold) should work fine for assembly - btw - while not cheap, the odorless CA has resulted in no more runny nose for me!!! Which, is almost as valuable to me as a 100 pack of xacto blades! And model building is fun again!

Thanks for dropping by -
Take care
Nick
dogstar
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt -I guess I too suffer from ADHD when it comes to ideas and reference material (Haha) I'd like to have some sort of an electronic notebook tied to outlook just to keep track of my "new" ideas and kits. Tied to outlook just so the ideas would pop up now and then...just so I can remember them! - I tend to get into one little project then space on whatever "great" idea led up to the project at hand...and weeks later come across the special parts or ideas that were "so critical" to the build...I guess they weren't "that" critical...that said, I hate finishing something knowing when I started, the intent was different! It all seems to come out in the wash - like a football game - if things aren't going so well in the first half - change in the second

Hi Kurt - thanks for the support. I'm living up to my login name today (Stickframe) working on the front half of the roof - no PE or resin today, just basswood. If I make enough progress I'll try to post some images tomorrow -

Thanks for having a look
Cheers
Nick

May I suggest pinterest for an idea board? It's got a little button in the corner of your browser and you can save photos to online albums, dozens of albums if you want. As you look around pinterest you'll find people to follow, who pin/post stuff you like and it can get pretty cool when just what you didn't know you were looking for shows up in your feed.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:50 PM UTC
[/quote]
May I suggest pinterest for an idea board? It's got a little button in the corner of your browser and you can save photos to online albums, dozens of albums if you want. As you look around pinterest you'll find people to follow, who pin/post stuff you like and it can get pretty cool when just what you didn't know you were looking for shows up in your feed.[/quote]

I already have one....LOL

Quoted Text

Hi Nick,

should you need any help for contacting the frenchies, just let me know! I might be useful (for once ).

Cheers

Romain

Romain,

I've contacted him But I can;t justify the 25 Euros to ship 6 sheets of plastic to the US. (if I could come up with the $$$ he can ship around 40 in the same package)