Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Truck Fabrication shop
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hi Dave, Kurt, and Jerry - thanks for checking in.

I enjoyed this build, it was a challenge to pull together. Jerry, I guess it worked considering the memories it evoked - uhhhh, heat, dust, and flies....yeah....at least you didn't mention humidity! (Haha) Kurt, you're right, it is something of a beast, in fact the biggest truck on the dio. I don't think I'm going to place it on the trailer after all - it's just too big, and looks pretty clumsy. I think an M114 will find a home there instead. That will wait though.

Next up - more roof trusses. Dave, this part reminds me a bit of your trials with your stained glass windows! At this point I have two, equally unattractive choices.
On one side of the building will be half-barrel trusses...light weight metal frame this time. I think these will be harder to build than the wood trusses. On the other side will be a collection of individually unique trusses. While not curving, they will each get king posts and tensioners....good times. There are a couple of upstairs walls still to be framed - maybe I'll do them instead - a bit tedious, but not as tough as those trusses(!)

I guess the next posting will be a surprise.

Thanks for having a look

Cheers

Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow man,
I am feeling old. Partly because you are working so well and so fast I could never keep that pace. But also because I am now retired from the Army for so long that I don't even recognize that vehicle or any of its' variations.
All superb buddy. I don't post here as often because I frankly don't know many other ways to tell you how brilliant this stuff is.
J

What he said!!

Cheers

Romain
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:55 AM UTC
Unlike myself Nick I believe you will master it in no time flat with awesome results.

Speaking of windows in your diorama Nick, I'm curious as to how you produced those windows we see in the first couple pages; the big multipanel ones with the metal turnbuckles?

I'm most interested in the caling and the turnbuckles.

If you have time that is....

Dave
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC
Dave,

I can answer the windows... He had them laser cut. I'd asked him the same thing. I just worked with VectorCut on some for my project. I believe Nick used Rustystumps for his, but he wasn't accepting any custom work at the time.

I'm a CAD drafter so I actually did the CAD work to save some $$. PM me if you want more info about Vectorcut.

Matt
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks Matt. Are the cabling and turnbuckles also done by these guys, or you?

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:54 AM UTC
I think Nick made that. I know Grandt line has some turnbuckles available (I just had Nick pick some up from me as I have no LHS that stocks them)

http://grandtline.com/products/military/military_home.html

I sent Vectorcut a file

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi Dave - all of my windows are from Rusty Stumps Scale Models. Matt is correct, that Walt is a bit backed up with orders, so I don't think he's doing custom work right now. That said, he has my cad files on hand, and has made new stock for me as I've needed. Regarding the turnbuckles etc, that's scratchbuilt. The cables are metal rod - Grandt Line and others make plastic turnbuckles - but, if you look around in "S" or "G" scale you can also find them in brass and white metal. I needed several of them, and the (continuous) tension rods in this build actually help to strengthen the wall - if you look you'll see many windows, many single columns, and not much wall plane per se (no shear strength) so, the metal rods are used to stiffen the wall without being visually intrusive. If you look around the building, metal rods are used in several places to solve that problem...

Nick
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:59 AM UTC
Thanks Nick. I wondered if you had scratched the turnbuckles or got them from Grandt. I thought if I added a couple of them at the piano end wall of the build if it would be enough support in theory to have kept the roof from collapsing in on the building, even though my backstory has the roof supported by the rest of the building past the frame. I thought every extra suggestion of stabilizing that roof couldn't hurt.

Anywho I've taken up enough of your time for the day. Look forward to your next update.

Dave
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:34 AM UTC
After building the big truck (what possessed me to move so fast with it is beyond me!!??) - I needed to take a few days to do other stuff - so I did.

And then, was ready to get back to the build. Over the weekend, I went back the second floor. The first task was to build the rough in for a second floor office space.

Aligning joists on evergreen sheets, then decking over with basswood sheets. While I was at it, added a few interior half-walls and desk tops:

Something to keep in mind through this was to not block all views to the two trucks below the second floor - I like each of them. I don't mind blocking some views - but not all!

Once the second floor deck was set - (I'd say "squared away" but it wasn't! - so, some crafty construction to make it look square!!!) it was on to the roof framing - this includes a couple of trusses and a wall with a truss set in place - please have a look:

and there you have it - next steps will be doing something with the office space, and wrapping it with more walls, then, more roof framing....

thanks for having a look!

NIck
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:48 AM UTC
Looking great! More inspiration for when I get going on my building. I'm thinking I need to fin some 1/2" foam rather than wasting the 1" stuff.. the Home Depot doesn't carry any without the foil on it that think and of course Lowes' does... but the closest one is an hour away.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:48 AM UTC

^^^- - - !!!! (i.e. "leaves me speechless" and people who know me will confirm that really means something)

Cheers

Romain
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
I love the Monday Updates Nick... always a good part of the day. Looks great as usual. Glad you had a couple days off, it helps to get your focus back, if you are like me at least.

Dave
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hi Matt - thanks for dropping by - before you give up on the 1" foam, try cutting it in half ( thickness) to 1/2" - I'm doing some tests with it now for another project I'm thinking about....and yes, I cut it in half....works fine. But, I'm trying stone walls, so the rough texture is good. It might be too rough for brick work, I don't know.

Romain - thanks!! I must say, your watchful eye keeps me honest! :-)

Dave - yes, you and I might suffer the same challenge - that is: "yes! I will try it! I know I'm in the middle of something else, but that would be fun to try to build!! "

More walls being built by me tonight....

Thanks for having a look
Nick
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 10:02 PM UTC
Ideally I'd make a hot wire cutter. Time & $$ are holding that one back. 1/2" is closer to the finish dimensions I need anyway. Guess I'll just see which way it happens to go. Maybe my Father has a transformer or two laying around I could use to make the cutter. Although several Ideas did just cross my mind.... Hmmmmmmmm Off to research!!!!!

Edit...... Feelers out to a few Co-workers looking for some used/broken guitar strings, figure trying to recycle before buying new or paying $$ for nichrome wire. that coupled with A 12v Battery charger/started might just work according to my research... MUHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
I honestly don't know how you get all of this outstanding work done so quickly.
Before too long most of California will be covered in your excellent mini-world.
J
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:08 AM UTC
awaiting updates.... the nicer weather has sucked my bench time to none..... as bad as it sounds (even though we have a ton of mud) one evening of rain would be nice........ LOL
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:55 PM UTC
Bump...
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi guys -- I'm glad to be posting - if only a few images. Work has been a bit crazy, but I've been making progress on this too - in fact, next weekend, I'll take the project to the park for some outdoor pics - in the meantime, I'm posting a few on-the-way-to work images. Still working on the second floor office area - adding more to the interior, and building walls -

Have a look:

this side of the building is starting to shape up - in fact, the overall form seems to be getting more cohesive. I've still got to add trim and odds and ends to this side of the building, but I'm getting there!

Now - the interior - mostly desktop computers (Matt - as a designer using CAD you ought to enjoy this stuff!), desktop stuff - and some "artwork" for the walls - have a look:

So there you have it - I actually thought the end was in sight for this project....and I was wrong -while easily 90% done - I still have a long way to go!! including adding more furniture to the office, and the dreaded task of adding a figure or two....in an office...good luck to me on that one...

OK - thanks for having a look!

NIck
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:03 AM UTC
Very convincing office.... plans, catalogs, manual etc... all over the desks... perfect!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
Like really? Seriously? Come on!!!! Nick you're killing the rest of us here slowly, very slowly with the dagger in our hearts. Your work is so far above the work I can accomplish even in an extended period of time.

I quit. I'm never posting another update ever!

But seriously it is unbelievable the level and amount of work you do in short order. So enjoy the Monday updates, even you're on the way to work ones.

Really stellar. I'm surprised though that the desktop hardware appears to be all PC's and not Mac Pros and iPads. Aren't they what all the CAD stuff guys use?

Keep it coming Master Nick!!!

Dave
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:43 PM UTC
Dave,

We use HP intellistations with Windows 7. But then the Unigraphics NX we use runs based on UNIX (they have some dual OS thingy set up). I've used windows based PCs the whole 20 years I've been doing CAD (starting in HS). Holy crap it's been 20 years.... I think I've used over 7 different software packages (not just versions).

Matt
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very convincing office.... plans, catalogs, manual etc... all over the desks... perfect!

jaw-dropping work... just missing the empty pizza boxes & cola cans...

FYI, you can get CAD on the MAC....
but CAD/CAM on pc's & *NIX is used by engineers to get the job done,
& Mac's are used by designers who just want it to look pretty..
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,

We use HP intellistations with Windows 7. But then the Unigraphics NX we use runs based on UNIX (they have some dual OS thingy set up). I've used windows based PCs the whole 20 years I've been doing CAD (starting in HS). Holy crap it's been 20 years.... I think I've used over 7 different software packages (not just versions).

Matt

UNIX is the most stable platform for any computer system so it makes sense that it is so prevelant in systems that want their users to be productive. I won't say that in completely sold out to the Devil that is Mac, but you know what they say... Once you go Mac you never go back. Their just so sleek and ... Well almost sexy.

Either way the equipment is very well reproduced, as we would expect from Nick.

Dave
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC
Dave,

Check this one out.... Nick Inspired me to get going on one I've been thinking about off & on for a few years now.

https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/220214#1852129

Not attempting to hijack Nick's thread........
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 02:07 AM UTC
I'm with Dave on this one. Maybe I should take up house painting?
J