Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Ardennes--another one!!
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi, Jerry,

Do as the architect of our house: plant some ivy!

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC
Thanks Kurt and Paul for checking in.
Theproblem with the ivy is the event takes place in winter. I just checked our ivy outside and it isn't dead yet but the greens are faded and the leaf edges curling. This is pretty hard to make happen in 1/35. I like the ivy idea though.
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 03:49 AM UTC
Well, I can't contribute much to the discussion about the color of the stonework, Jer, so I've just been kind of hanging in the background and following along.

FWIW, I do think you've captured the look of the original building in your photos - both color and style of construction. Color saturation and intensity on rocks and stones is wildly variable, especially if there's been any snow, rain or even heavy dew. One day a dry stone looks very light and faded, the next day a rain shower has brought out the full colors. Damp stone on a cloudy morning looks quite different during the sunny afternoon. And so it goes...

I does seem to me that perhaps some of the lighter greenish-ochers in the color photos might be areas of moss or lichens growing on the stones, but that could just be a blurry photo-of-a-photo issue. I'm reluctant to offer any more comments about this, since it might just be my imagination, and you already have enough help with colors and textures as it is.

Anyways, I like this little scene and what you have going on with it. Your plaster "stonemasonry" is still impressive and motivational. I love "old school" modeling, especially when it's so well executed!

Have a Happy Modeling New Year!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC
Thanks Mikey for wading into the fray!! We sure do get lively with discussing the colors of rocks don't we?
It's all good. Thanks for your kind comments about my mason techniques.I can't wait to see what happens when I start on the figures! Heeheehee
I am trying some new stuff on this thing. I need to challenge myself to keep my motivation up. I will be addressing some modeling no-noes,hopefully in a tasteful manner.
Can't wait to see what you are up to next. Maybe one of those tiny Italian Tankettes?
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Can't wait to see what you are up to next. Maybe one of those tiny Italian Tankettes?
J

I thought that I had something in the works to do a build blog/review on one of those, but it seems to have fallen through the cracks. Too bad... The new Bronco CV3/33 looks like a crackin' good little kit.

Oh well, next on deck is Arsenal35's Commonwealth Bren Gunner and a seminar on figure painting for the AMPS Atlanta Regional show next month.

I'm also putting the finishing touches on research for another major (for me) project, so stay-tuned for that in a few weeks.

Happy Modeling!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC
I will be checking the blogs for whatever you decide that's fer sure.
We were talking about the AMPS show in Va. over lunch today and so far it's a go for me to attend. Don't know if I want to enter anything,probably just bring my very light checkbook.

Got the basic groundform down last night and did some touch-ups this morning. I also did more color work on those pesky and very controversial stones.
Once again,I am modeling this building

I am trying to show the right side or back of this building.
Since there are space restrictions in my vignette I am compressing the building front to back. Can't be helped and after all,this is a vignette!!
So I am having to imagine what the back of a barn would look like as I only have this one view. I chose this building because I believe it was a logical place for the paras to outflank the flakwagen that was across the road. It had a covered approach and a great flank position from what I see from the rest of the after action pics in Duel in the Mist.
Here we go

I know there are eyes on this project at all times like these here!! Bono serra

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC
Looks great to me ! The bird however seems a little bit out of scale ! Or is it just my imagination ???

Greets Kurt
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:19 PM UTC
Looks damn good to me, great plaster work (have to agree bird may be a little large - da-haha)
- John
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:32 PM UTC
It looks good on the base. Keep up the good work Jerry.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC
Looks great! I've been silently watching the past couple days since I had literally no intelligent input on the stone colors hahaha. It looks awesome on the base, really pops out. Can't wait to see how the figures play into it.

I love how this and the past 2 build logs have had the history lesson aspect to them as well. After all, modeling and learning about WWII and the like continue to build off each other in my book. I'm convinced that I must try and get ahold of a copy of "Duel in the Mist" now haha. Still blown away by the amount of research and background information going into these builds. The attention to detail is astounding.

Looking forward to more!

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC
Kurt,John Chris and Conor,
Thanks so much for looking in again as I try to hash this out.
Here is another pic to muddy the water.

This is the dwelling that is right across the alley from my barn/garage and is probably the farmhouse for it. Notice the stones' color and also the cut stone surrounds for the window. I have a pic of this house in 1944 and this hasn't changed. So they did use cut stone but I got the color wrong. Too late to fix it as the more paint I put on my plaster the worse it looks. It looses that translucent feel.
I did do a re-paint-AGAIN!!

Alte mann does not like painting so much and needs to feed the hogs.

He hears the rumble of cannon in the distance and wonders...what is going to happen with my little village of Cheneux?
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi Jerry - comparing the existing/ nearby and your model is very interesting - I bet you're right tho, about how much you can do about changing your colors at this point....It seems reasonable to guess that if you keep adding color, your end result could be pretty mottled - that is, looking a bit like you've added different colors of stucco to each stone! While maybe an interesting "look" probably not the one you want :-) also, is it my imagination or is there mortar between the stones in the photo of the existing bldg?

If there is, and it's a light color, that could also change the look of your wall(s)

Mortar, no mortar? I vote (although unsolicited), yes! (But seal the wall first, colors/plaster can essentially turn to mud, or so I'm told - uhh, I mean have done...) then, hit your stone work with an alcohol and ink wash (not in the mortar) - easy, right?!!? Haha

Looking forward to more

Cheers
Nick

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 07:08 AM UTC
Nick,
You have hit on something I struggle with every time I build a plaster stone wall. The mortar. Sometimes the older buildings have none left to see,as in the one further back on this blog. The newer walls have mortar and it always messes me up with the overall color as from a distance it makes the whole wall appear a cream color. But if you get close you see all the stones.
Someday I will made a two-pointed scribing tool in order to make mortared joints easily. For now,I think I have invested way more time than I wanted and will have to settle for this and move on.
I don't want to get bogged down and loose interest.
When that happens I get a gazillion hours of work into something and then just can't find the gumption to finish it. Like this totally scatchbuilt 1/32 cockpit for the old revell P-38 that I am converting to a P-38E.

It has now been on the shelf of doom for going on 2 years!
Although,if things get too bad I can just take a joyride and get away from it all.

Thanks for looking in and havin a chat,
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
So Jerry, I suppose you already know what I suggest your next steps for that super cool p-38E are.... Build a hangar around it!

Nice work BTW...

Nick
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the dwelling that is right across the alley from my barn/garage and is probably the farmhouse for it. Notice the stones' color and also the cut stone surrounds for the window.

Jerry,you should have bought my book already
All the houses on my dio have exactly that look and color, multicolored slate. inclusively the window surrounds !

That would be the moment to say "didn't we say so?", but as I hate that myself I will not say it. :-)

Quoted Text

I have a pic of this house in 1944 and this hasn't changed. So they did use cut stone but I got the color wrong. Too late to fix it as the more paint I put on my plaster the worse it looks. It looses that translucent feel.

I dont think that there is any need of translucidity for the plaster. Once you start to paint it with undiluted acryl colors it's gone anyway. IMO there is no harm to go back to a more beige/sand look. A good washing with oil colours will give it some life back.

Quoted Text

Except the blueish stone the rest looks ok, it's not a copy of the photo, but "good enough".
I know where the blue colour comes from, I often started having them also thinking that slate is a bit blueish.
I end having probably not one stone having a specific colour in my complete walls.
All are random mixes from my pallete. On that palette are red/brown colours , beige, khaki, the blue (if used the very very carefully), dark grays, very light grey (with that one I lighten all up if necessary) , even colors like german camouflage or gold brown. Play with it, have fun.
With every colour mix I do 2-3 stones and change again. The risk is ending with a color you like and overusing it.
This is the side facade of the bike shop I did. Looks a bit like your picture. Look also at the bottom part of the house on the right to it.

Redo those blueish stones (mix a bit red/brown with a hint of lightgrey) and do a oil washing of the whole wall! The stones will get some granularity back and if you use 2-3 different oil colours (more earth brown around the ground) and perhaps a grey below the wood from the timbered frame.

There is not a lot of space between your stone any more to put some mortar in it. You can try by rubbing straight pigments in the joints. Sand coloured pigments you carefully get off the top of the stone and the fix the rest with Isopropanol. Did I say already that all that is in my book ? :-)

By the way, this is the stone structure of the above facade from me before painting.

If you have the first book, check all the pctures from the stonework of the castle, all the same, albeit a bit darker

Greets

Claude

PS.: Regarding translucidy of plaster stonework, please checkout the work of this guy, Marcel, a swiss guy I already met three times personnaly on expos.
He is painting the plaster with water color only.
The thread is in german , but there are plenty of pictures in it for everyone to get a lot of inspiration.
http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=46237.0

his homepage (I did not check if all the pics are the same here and there)
http://www.feldbahn-modellbau.ch/

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:22 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

I just decided to look Cheneux up on the web and immediately found this!

is the photo on this site http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheneux_(Stoumont) showing "your" building?? At least it looks like it!!!

Wikipedia confirms also that lattice buildings are frequent in the area ( less than 30 kms from Germany ).

The big difference between the pictures of the actual buildings and your rendering is the total absence of "brown leather" in the real thing. Slate slabs may come in (even) very different colours, but not in "warm" orangeish brown.

Ardennes colours (especially in winter without sunshine) are creamy (or dirty) light grey to white (plasterwork and caulk of the joints) and darker blueish grey with occasional spots of dark brown (slate). Exactly what Claude is showing in his dio!

As I said, I personally love your palette, but unfortunately it's not Ardennes, it's Tuscany!

I wouldn't worry too much about transparency of the colour, as slate is everything but translucent.

Sorry to be a pain in the b...side m8, but...being from the region and at the same time being a painter, colours are a key element in my life!

Cheers

Romain

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:17 AM UTC
Dear Romain,

Pls., with all respect, but is this a modeling forum or a forum to duplicate in the most correct way historical buildings.
I mean, the next discussion will be that the soldiers, filling the dio did not have the right hair color and height.....

I know your abilities, I respect your comments, but now, two pages full are spend on such a minor case as the right color of the stones.
Let's face it: most people look upon our models without the slightest knowledge of what it is about. They just admire our hobby, like the subject and that's it.
I learned ages ago the hard way that, after spending weeks on brake lines, tubing, river counting etc., my dearest very warmly said: " oh, that became nice.". The fewest of the ones, we share our carefully build products, will see the difference between a WW2 T34 and OIF M1, not to speak about the type of right gun shield we used on some model. Also, I guess very few of us are surrounded by fanatics as on this forum all day. (Hopefully) So, I can imagine that, after they showed their product of hours intensive and joyfull building, hardly anyone started a discussion about the tone of the stones.
I therefore kindly suggest that we leave the building as it is and watch eagerly the coming adds to this fine and carefully build dio.

I hope you accept my thoughts. I do not want to be rude, but there are so many details in this forum, which could be discussed for pages, that it, so I think, would kill any joy to share your poduct if we woud do as in this blog.

But, as I know I am hard in punshing, I should be hard in taking as well!

So, looking forward to read your comments.

Take care,

P.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So Jerry, I suppose you already know what I suggest your next steps for that super cool p-38E are.... Build a hangar around it!

Nice work BTW...

Nick

Hahaha,thanks Nick,
I was actually wanting to make the P-38E as a crash-landed bird in California right after Pearl Harbor. I have a pic of the incident. Not many E's were deployed overseas and the ones that were I believe went to Alaska and that's it.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is the dwelling that is right across the alley from my barn/garage and is probably the farmhouse for it. Notice the stones' color and also the cut stone surrounds for the window.

Jerry,you should have bought my book already
All the houses on my dio have exactly that look and color, multicolored slate. inclusively the window surrounds !

That would be the moment to say "didn't we say so?", but as I hate that myself I will not say it. :-)

Quoted Text

I have a pic of this house in 1944 and this hasn't changed. So they did use cut stone but I got the color wrong. Too late to fix it as the more paint I put on my plaster the worse it looks. It looses that translucent feel.

I dont think that there is any need of translucidity for the plaster. Once you start to paint it with undiluted acryl colors it's gone anyway. IMO there is no harm to go back to a more beige/sand look. A good washing with oil colours will give it some life back.

Quoted Text

Except the blueish stone the rest looks ok, it's not a copy of the photo, but "good enough".
I know where the blue colour comes from, I often started having them also thinking that slate is a bit blueish.
I end having probably not one stone having a specific colour in my complete walls.
All are random mixes from my pallete. On that palette are red/brown colours , beige, khaki, the blue (if used the very very carefully), dark grays, very light grey (with that one I lighten all up if necessary) , even colors like german camouflage or gold brown. Play with it, have fun.
With every colour mix I do 2-3 stones and change again. The risk is ending with a color you like and overusing it.
This is the side facade of the bike shop I did. Looks a bit like your picture. Look also at the bottom part of the house on the right to it.

Redo those blueish stones (mix a bit red/brown with a hint of lightgrey) and do a oil washing of the whole wall! The stones will get some granularity back and if you use 2-3 different oil colours (more earth brown around the ground) and perhaps a grey below the wood from the timbered frame.

There is not a lot of space between your stone any more to put some mortar in it. You can try by rubbing straight pigments in the joints. Sand coloured pigments you carefully get off the top of the stone and the fix the rest with Isopropanol. Did I say already that all that is in my book ? :-)

By the way, this is the stone structure of the above facade from me before painting.

If you have the first book, check all the pctures from the stonework of the castle, all the same, albeit a bit darker

Greets

Claude

PS.: Regarding translucidy of plaster stonework, please checkout the work of this guy, Marcel, a swiss guy I already met three times personnaly on expos.
He is painting the plaster with water color only.
The thread is in german , but there are plenty of pictures in it for everyone to get a lot of inspiration.
http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=46237.0

his homepage (I did not check if all the pics are the same here and there)
http://www.feldbahn-modellbau.ch/

Claude,
Thanks for checking in again. I was looking for your first book the other day and for the life of me I can't locate it in my bookshelf. I know I have it though!!
I do need to get the second volumn,yes.
I did see right away that I got too much blue in my darker gray stones. I will want to fix that. I also see the chocolat brown ones don't have enough red/orange. I won't be messing with any mortar at this point as I know me and I will get pissed off and just throw the whole thing in the trash. I hate re-does!
I still think the biggest problem I am having is my recent switch to acrylic paint. I am having a lot of difficulty getting the colors down after using enamels and oils for so long. I still think oils have way more color richness as well.
I remembered the difference when I was building the road with the mud in my last dio. The tones were so rich!! I just can't achieve that effect with acrylics yet.
I can't afford to switch back now though after spending my precious dollars on all those bottles of Vellejo! Hahaha.
I must however,defend my bricks as I think they aren't that bad. I spent a while looking at the "Feldbahn" dio from the linky you posted. Holy crap!!! NICE!! Thanks,Comte Claude.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

I just decided to look Cheneux up on the web and immediately found this!

is the photo on this site http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheneux_(Stoumont) showing "your" building?? At least it looks like it!!!

Wikipedia confirms also that lattice buildings are frequent in the area ( less than 30 kms from Germany ).

The big difference between the pictures of the actual buildings and your rendering is the total absence of "brown leather" in the real thing. Slate slabs may come in (even) very different colours, but not in "warm" orangeish brown.

Ardennes colours (especially in winter without sunshine) are creamy (or dirty) light grey to white (plasterwork and caulk of the joints) and darker blueish grey with occasional spots of dark brown (slate). Exactly what Claude is showing in his dio!

As I said, I personally love your palette, but unfortunately it's not Ardennes, it's Tuscany!

I wouldn't worry too much about transparency of the colour, as slate is everything but translucent.

Sorry to be a pain in the b...side m8, but...being from the region and at the same time being a painter, colours are a key element in my life!

Cheers

Romain

I think much of what you covered here I answered in my post to Claude. I have to say again I think the biggest problem is my lack of mortar between the stones ad that is really throwing things out of kilter. If you look at the real stone wall in the pic there are not many beige stones,if any at all. The biege comes from the mortar. Most of the stoenes are medium to light grey with some brown/black and brown/re/orange ones for accent.
Thanks for the image of my building. First time I saw it from the opposite side!! This was the German viewpoint in the battle. On the road(which was not hardened at the time) in the direct front were a Opel Maultier that was in the process of hooking up a 105mm artillery piece when it was knocked out. I few meters further up this road on the right was the flakwagen that my paras were trying to outflank. Brilliant pic,thanks,
As far as the warmth of my colors I am convinced it comes from painting the un-sealed plaster with diluted paint. It is something like(but not exactly) like fresco painting.
Thanks for looking in buddy,
J
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:56 AM UTC
need some bullet holes in that wall.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Romain,

Pls., with all respect, but is this a modeling forum or a forum to duplicate in the most correct way historical buildings.
I mean, the next discussion will be that the soldiers, filling the dio did not have the right hair color and height.....

I know your abilities, I respect your comments, but now, two pages full are spend on such a minor case as the right color of the stones.
Let's face it: most people look upon our models without the slightest knowledge of what it is about. They just admire our hobby, like the subject and that's it.
I learned ages ago the hard way that, after spending weeks on brake lines, tubing, river counting etc., my dearest very warmly said: " oh, that became nice.". The fewest of the ones, we share our carefully build products, will see the difference between a WW2 T34 and OIF M1, not to speak about the type of right gun shield we used on some model. Also, I guess very few of us are surrounded by fanatics as on this forum all day. (Hopefully) So, I can imagine that, after they showed their product of hours intensive and joyfull building, hardly anyone started a discussion about the tone of the stones.
I therefore kindly suggest that we leave the building as it is and watch eagerly the coming adds to this fine and carefully build dio.

I hope you accept my thoughts. I do not want to be rude, but there are so many details in this forum, which could be discussed for pages, that it, so I think, would kill any joy to share your poduct if we woud do as in this blog.

Take care,

P.

Paul,
Thanks for joining in buddy.
I always take the view that these guys are trying to help,that's all. They are both very good at making scale buildings so....
I think we are all friends and there will be no war between Ostereich and the benelux.
It does take away from the overall story a bit but..... it's all good.
J
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 04:21 AM UTC
I will just add one little thing here (I hope I don't anger Paul to much by pililng on)
Consider that perhaps for the next time or a bigger project.

First I start those wall by painting it all in a fitting mortar hue. The complete wall is painted in a grey/beige mix. Basically I have now 1) the mortar painted and no white or whatever will shine through when I fill the joints with sand or pigments and 2) the plaster is all sealed

I also must say that indeed the Vallejo colours are a lot flatter in the look, so I am always mixing them with other colors on my palette who are from a range called Aleene's. It is a US product I can get here locally, so should you. The are cheaper also as the Vallejo's. They have a colour I use a lot and that is a Dusty Grey. There Beige is great and the light grey I use to lighten everything up.(near white)
The other medium is acrylics from the tube and I use a few from the Rembrandt range, Raw and Burnt Umber, Raw and Burnt Sienna for the reddish component,Transparent oxide red and Brown also, and a couple more

Vallejo only adds the more exotic touches Bluegrey and khaki, goldbrown.

Have fun

Claude

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Romain,

Hi Paul,

no worries m8, I'm not picky. Luxemburgers and dutch people are fairly outspoken. I've switched to a more diplomatic language over international activities.
This is basically one of the reasons why this thing is dragging on!!
Perhaps I should have said: "no way, colours are totally wrong, no Ardennes feeling whatsoever"! o.s. in that tone!?
But apart from that you raise points of principle here!

What we discuss here will not make our world any better, and you are right in so far as 90% of the others don't even see any difference between "dios' best" and the worst beginner without the slightest talent, nor are they interested.

BUT...and here is my point...this forum is about modelling, associated skills and sharing them, and people who join us here should be interested and know. Otherwise I could not understand what they are doing here..when there is twitter or FB out there!!!!!

Like I said: we do this for our "community" not for the "common" people. I'm not so sure about my abilities, but I'm sure I am from the Oesling!! What would you say if someone shows high hills/mountains and calls it Holland!??
....and asks for your expertise as a dutchman..!!!

I do accept your thoughts, your comments and your motivation, but Jerry asked for my comment, so he got it! As I said, I should maybe have been "clearer" from the start!
You are absolutely right BTW! It's about time this discussion ends! From my side it's done!

All the dutch guys I know are tough in everything they do!!

Take care,

P.

And you my friend!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will just add one little thing here (I hope I don't anger Paul to much by pililng on)
Consider that perhaps for the next time or a bigger project.

First I start those wall by painting it all in a fitting mortar hue. The complete wall is painted in a grey/beige mix. Basically I have now 1) the mortar painted and no white or whatever will shine through when I fill the joints with sand or pigments and 2) the plaster is all sealed

I also must say that indeed the Vallejo colours are a lot flatter in the look, so I am always mixing them with other colors on my palette who are from a range called Aleene's. It is a US product I can get here locally, so should you. The are cheaper also as the Vallejo's. They have a colour I use a lot and that is a Dusty Grey. There Beige is great and the light grey I use to lighten everything up.(near white)
The other medium is acrylics from the tube and I use a few from the Rembrandt range, Raw and Burnt Umber, Raw and Burnt Sienna for the reddish component,Transparent oxide red and Brown also, and a couple more

Vallejo only adds the more exotic touches Bluegrey and khaki, goldbrown.

Have fun

Claude

I did use the mortar technique when I made the bricks between the fachwerk. I painted the mortar first and then drybrushed the bricks. But there was no mortar to paint in between my stones! I think that is the main problem,I have to develope a wider scribing tool so I have some room for my mortar. This would also clear up some of my color problems right away.
Good tip about the cheaper bottles of acryl.-I always like cheap!! And I never thought about the tubes of acryl. at all. Great idea.
Thanks for looking in and commenting Comte,there are no hard feelings here,don't worry as I appreciate you,Romains' and Paul viewpoints. I think if there are any problems it is most likely the imperfect medium of e mail commo as things are often miss-understood(specially by myself)
Better than the other website I post on as over there I am just about completely ignored!
J