Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Ardennes--another one!!
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

No bad feelings intended. I learned to respect Romain.
But I guess we should keep in mind that this is a hobby blog.
Therefore, accuracy may suffer more or less under artistic freedom.
We should bear in mind a. that nt every one has the correct references, both on material and environment, or a super detailled knowledge about some parts used in dio's.
I do see very fine build models, upgraded with etch sets, AM resin etc. which are, from a practical military point sometimes turned into very useless vehicles due to the way they carry personal gear, fuel cans etc. Or they are extremely overloaded.
But, I think, it's a hobby. If the builder is happy, who am I to discuss it?!
Another example are some " Dutch" dio's by Verlinden. I can remember a bridge which looked from miles away a bit Dutch, but was crap in its details.

And to Romain: I am sure that you will understand my intentions. I just wanted to make clear that, though yu almost knows every brick in the street of Jerry's example, for those who don't it does not matter. You come close enough.
But, if some one thinks different: it is a free hobby world!

And again:that's my point of view! Nevertheless, you all, Thanks for bringing in the statements.
Once became clear very well: this is a forum for those who go for the very best!
(and yes, Romain and Claude, you are both on the top of that list.)

Enjoy modelling this weekend!

Stone color dscussion closed !! ?? !! ??

P
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:15 PM UTC

closed!!

Poor Jerry, he's the one who suffers...and that was NOT our intention!!

Sorry m8!!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
Ok!! Peace has been restored to Europe. The UN forces will move in later today to moniter the former belligerents.
No suffering on my part buddy. As no one is shooting at me,I am not living in my foxhole in SaudiArabia or under my poncho at Ft Bragg in the winter rain and am not parachuting at night with total cloud cover and no light whatsoever wearing 75 pounds of"lightweight" equipment and can go to the faucent and turn on running hot water this blog is kept it perspective!
Back to modeling.
I worked last night a bit on something I never tried before. Gotta put some final touches on it but I think I may have pulled it off!
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok!! Peace has been restored to Europe. The UN forces will move in later today to moniter the former belligerents.
No suffering on my part buddy. As no one is shooting at me,I am not living in my foxhole in SaudiArabia or under my poncho at Ft Bragg in the winter rain and am not parachuting at night with total cloud cover and no light whatsoever wearing 75 pounds of"lightweight" equipment and can go to the faucent and turn on running hot water this blog is kept it perspective!
Back to modeling.
I worked last night a bit on something I never tried before. Gotta put some final touches on it but I think I may have pulled it off!
J

LOL! Yea buddy...

Just remember:

"There's hot chow on the DZ; there's milk and cookies at the ORP; and the trucks are waiting to move us back to the barracks..."

I'll be looking forward to your modeling surprise.

"Keep your feet and knees together and eyes on the horizon..."
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:12 AM UTC
But what about those nights you can't even see the horizon? Heheh.
Here I have begun something I never did before-anatomy of a dead man.
He was retreating down the road after the failed counterattack conducted by the PzGren Bn and so I have made him seem like he has fallen forward while in movement. I used two pics for reference of soldiers killed in action while in movement.
The fig was from the Miniart desert set with the brit m/g crew. Here is the initial re-posing after the first app. of putty and addition of Hornet head and hand.

Once again,the initial posing and putty so please give me a chance!!

Mike!! Check your in-box.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Back to modeling.
J

Jerry ,
LOL

i'm standing outside waving to the UN troops , giving them a lot of chocolate bars and wafles and beer . I see someone selling his books to the soldiers a little bit further away.....and someone else explaining to the soldiers how to make a realistic tree .....

No war in Europe my friend !

Okay , i was joking !

The dead soldier looks realistic , very well done !

Greets Kurt
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hi Jerry

The pose looks very good to me, well done.

The only potential problem I see is with the right arm of the jacket. It should lying flat on the arm and not rounded like that.

You did great with the left arm!

Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:56 AM UTC
Thanks Kurt an Claude for the rapid response team!
The right shoulder is up in the air a bit because the forward momentum has his left arm underneath his body. The right arm,since it is bent at the elbow and twisted with the palm upward causes the forces that would push the right shoulder up like that. If you put your own body in that position,you cannot force your right shoulder all the way to the ground.
As far as his uniform goes,yes,as I said,still working on getting the correct"hang" of the clothing on the body.
I think this addresses your point?
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Back to modeling.
J

Jerry ,
LOL

i'm standing outside waving to the UN troops , giving them a lot of chocolate bars and wafles and beer . I see someone selling his books to the soldiers a little bit further away.....and someone else explaining to the soldiers how to make a realistic tree .....

No war in Europe my friend !

Okay , i was joking !
Greets Kurt

Hi guys,

Paul asked me to post this pic (regarding the UN troops of course) as he is experiencing technical troubles. As you can see, there are no problems in Benelux!!

Cheers

Romain

[/URL][/img]
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 06:33 AM UTC
@Jerry

I understood the position of the arm and just had probs with the cloth, so yes, it addresses my point but I am wondering if you did good in waiting until now to do that. Scribing down that jacket now is heavy duty work and you risk getting problems with your soldier.

@Romain

(and sorry Jerry for further distracting from your thread)

you know very well, and that should be a big relief for Kurt. that we Luxembourgers will any way not go to war because we have no space to put all the POW's

ok , enough now

Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Jerry

I understood the position of the arm and just had probs with the cloth, so yes, it addresses my point but I am wondering if you did good in waiting until now to do that. Scribing down that jacket now is heavy duty work and you risk getting problems with your soldier.

@Romain

you know very well, and that should be a big relief for Kurt. that we Luxembourgers will any way not go to war because we have no space to put all the POW's

ok , enough now

Claude

It is all true,the Lux army is a re-enforced batallion with one post only on a mountaintop. I was there with the USArmy several times. They are few in number but ferocious and they need no space because they take no prisoners!
Every monday the country must restock all of its' bars because the army drinks everything in the country over the weekend and don't be late for curfew sunday night or you will be on bread and water for the rest of the week!
All true,I swear!
J
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:13 AM UTC
Well Jerry, I think you may now have an "Ooops" moment:

I served myself in the Luxembourg army for three years!
That before becoming a custom officer.

I remember very well the visits of the US Army during Remembrance day, that was in the years 1980-1982.
The GI's where all big and strong man's, while most of us where 17-18 year old boys but I swear that we had no problems keeping up with them on good Luxembourg beer.
I still have a Parka-badge from the 8th Infantry Division I traded in for something else during one of those drinking sessions.

I also participated in some manoeuvres with the Belgian Army, around Rochefort. We were forced to drink the Belgian piss water Jupiler, well, they call it beer. That was for Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@Jerry

@Romain

ok , enough now

Claude

It is all true,the Lux army is a re-enforced batallion with one post only on a mountaintop. I was there with the USArmy several times. They are few in number but ferocious and they need no space because they take no prisoners!
Every monday the country must restock all of its' bars because the army drinks everything in the country over the weekend and don't be late for curfew sunday night or you will be on bread and water for the rest of the week!
All true,I swear!
J

@ Claude , you may be proud on your beautiful country and to be a luxembourger my friend . I have respect

@ Jerry , you to buddy because your American !

@ Romain ,
Thanks to the Austrian mountains and forests, i could fill my lungs with fresh air when i was a young child , i know what Austria means to me.

Amen to that !

Greets Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember very well the visits of the US Army during Remembrance day, that was in the years 1980-1982.
The GI's where all big and strong man's, while most of us where 17-18 year old boys but I swear that we had no problems keeping up with them on good Luxembourg beer.
I still have a Parka-badge from the 8th Infantry Division I traded in for something else during one of those drinking sessions.

I also participated in some manoeuvres with the Belgian Army, around Rochefort. We were forced to drink the Belgian piss water Jupiler, well, they call it beer. That was for Kurt

I'm coming with my Mirage full with Belgian beer, where is that chateau of yours ??? And a runway ??
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC

Sitting here with a nice austrian beer in my hand watching what's going on over there....and having lots of fun!!

Keep it coming!!

Cheers

Romain

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
I think the one downside (if it really is one) to watching you build figures is when I try to use what I've learned on my own unfortunate soldiers. It looks so easy! I've got to remind myself thati simply don't have quite as much experience hahaha. Even the one simple dead man seems to have had more thought and detail work put into him than I've put into this whole day. Well, maybe not quite that much, but one never knows. Looking forward to what's next!

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes!! I may very well have seen you there. I was in the 8th ID for my first 3 years in the army in the 1/39th Inf Regt and went to the Rememberence day twice in 79 and 80. During the 1980 visit I was in such good shape I was given the honor of being the flag bearer for the National flag during the service at Gen Pattons' grave. I looked like a GI "Iron Man". Now.....not so much.
I have to say ALL of the european beer is better than american beer. So much taste and a lot more alcohol in every bottle. My first big bottle I bought off the truck that delivered to all the barracks in Baumholder got me pretty high! Wasn't used to that from beer.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the one downside (if it really is one) to watching you build figures is when I try to use what I've learned on my own unfortunate soldiers. It looks so easy! I've got to remind myself thati simply don't have quite as much experience hahaha. Even the one simple dead man seems to have had more thought and detail work put into him than I've put into this whole day. Well, maybe not quite that much, but one never knows. Looking forward to what's next!

-Conor

No worries little bro. You have already gotten way way better just since you've been on this website. Practice is the ticket man. I am still learning from guys like Romain and Claude and Mike after all the years I've been modeling.

J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:28 AM UTC

I agree with Jerry Conor! You've evolved a huge deal since I "know" you, and that's only a couple of years!

Learning in modelling is a lifetime task. I for once have already learned a fair lot from members of this forum!!

I'm happy that so many great modellers are prepared to freely share their knowledge!!

Cheers

Romain
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes!! I may very well have seen you there. I was in the 8th ID for my first 3 years in the army in the 1/39th Inf Regt and went to the Rememberence day twice in 79 and 80.J

How cool is that! Unbelievable!

Claude
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:38 AM UTC

even more so....I was there too!!!!!!!!

Nice coincidence!!

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:33 PM UTC
I... I wasn't born yet. But! If I was, I might have been
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I... I wasn't born yet. But! If I was, I might have been

this thread is full of surprises!
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
Somebody states he wasn't born than.............
What a harsh way to find out that, starting as an officer in 1976, I am an old man now.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Somebody states he wasn't born than.............
What a harsh way to find out that, starting as an officer in 1976, I am an old man now.

You can say that again brother!! We're about the same age!