Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
World of Tanks Campaign II
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Michael: The tracks looks good. Try them on and post a photo of that beautiful Easy 8.

Here we are! Tracks test-fitted. I dry brushed a little Polly scale flat earth on the inside raised edges today. So far only one length has it done. If it's not too good I'll just go over that one side with some Gunmetal.

The picture was taken with flash on so that might affect how it's viewed.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 10:15 AM UTC
I'd like some people's opinion on the tracks before i glue the final piece on that holds the tracks together. Is it OK for tracks?
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 12:42 AM UTC
The question is, what are you trying to portray with your weathering?

If it's red mud/clay on your tracks, then it should also cover the black parts of the tracks as well, along with red mud on the hull.

You might want to tone down the reddish color in my opinion.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC
Mike,
For this campaign, I guess it depends on how you want to portray it. For a literal game version, I wouldn't weather and dirty it up a lot. I'd keep it withing the weathering you see in the game. But if you want to show it as it would appear in reality, even in a real WoT style scenario, then have at it.

BTW I like your Shermie....nice work.

Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 09:41 AM UTC

Building is pretty much complete, with the exception of the tracks. Waiting for another set of Friuls to arrive so I can complete the two lengths of tracks.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 10:15 AM UTC
Well I did darken the tracks. I'm not going for a red mud/clay dirty look. I had gotten an AK Light Dust pigment set yesterday and I tried it out on an old DML M4 I have as a test bed. I figured out basically how to use it and so I went ahead and did a bit on the E8. Need less to say I got it looking quite (too) light dusty and I took some off. I think I got the look that I wanted (a little dusty but not overly) just about down. Just have to add a bit to the turret and finish the stowage.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 11:00 AM UTC
Going along with my SuperPershing.

Painted the first green layer by hand, and it looked terrible, so I decided to use the airbrush... A thin yellow overcoat

Green

After the brown

Only the yellow lines between the colors are missing, and then I can start to weather it.
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 02:54 AM UTC
@Michael: Sounds good. Keep the photos coming!

@Andras: Nice looking Super Pershing. Camo definitely looks like the one in-game. What kind of fenders are those?
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC
@Vegard,

Thank you; now I have the yellow lines painted as well. It will need quite a bit of fading, to work the colors together. The fenders are the kit's fenders; I have not used anything else but the ModellTrans aftermarket.
I had a couple of goes for the racks depicted in the game, but no luck. I also am looking for some extra track sections on the sides, but then again: I have no idea where to get them from.
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
@Andras: Not sure where you can get just a few links to hang on your Pershing. When I did the SP for the previous WoT-campaign I had spare tracks included in the kit in addition to the metal tracks I used. Buying a whole set of metal tracks, even just for that scale is probably a bit too much.

Resupplies from Poland arrived today and I was able to assemble and mount the tracks to my KV-5. It's missing the last return roller in this dry fitting because of the smaller gap between the fender and tracks.

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 04:05 PM UTC
Since i play WOT but hate some of the things in it but i am still a tread head i am in .. i dont have many tanks ...but my fav now is a M2 Medium with the M8 turret ,,now i dont know if there is a kit of the M2 but i think i have enough bits to scratch build one which i have been wanting to try anyway .
I do have a Panzer 111 Ausf A which i am now gaming with ..so if i can find a cheap one of those i may build that ..but i still like the M2 idea

Phill
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i dont have many tanks ...but my fav now is a M2 Medium with the M8 turret ,,now i dont know if there is a kit of the M2 but i think i have enough bits to scratch build one which i have been wanting to try anyway .

Phill, welcome! I keep the same tank in my garage and still play it somewhat frequently. I get tired of the tier 9 & 10 guys beating up on me (I'm definitely not in the same league as these guys) and playing a tier 3 can be a really nice change. I am looking forward to watching this come together.

If you don't feel like scratch building, Commander Models might offer an M2? (Though I would rather watch you do a scratch build, as this is something that's way beyond me.)

Dave
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC
Well, I finally stoped playing WoT long enough to do some work.

Whew! Nothing is going easy with this one. First, I now have the AFV Club VVSS suspension. However, this is definitely not a "drop in" replacement for the Dragon suspension units. I have to remove all the bogie mounting detail from the Dragon lower hull. While doing this, the knife has slipped once or twice, shaving off some of the rivet detail on the lower hull. So, in addition to slow process of scraping off a lot of plastic, I've got to decide how best to replace the rivet detail (wondering about Squadron green putty applied with a toothpick?). To add insult to injury, the AFV Club suspension comes with the solid pressed road wheels. So, I need to use the Dragon open spoke road wheels that came with the kit. However, the axle on the AFV Club suspension units is much too big for the Dragon wheels. I don't have a pin vice bit of big enough diameter to match the AFV Club axle, so I'm trying to sand/shave the axle enough to get the Dragon wheels to fit.

I keep telling myself that all of these problems is making me a better builder... (sigh)

On the WoT front, I finally got the M26 Pershing and am not loving life. With the 90mm gun from the T20, I can't pentrate ANY of the tier IX and X guys that I now routinely face. After working for a while to get the Pershing, this is definitely disappointing. I will soon have enough experience to mount the improved 90mm (with marginally better pentration), so I hope that the game will be a bit less frustrating. Anyone here playing the Pershing successfully?

Dave
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
Vegard and Andras and Michael:

It's a pleasure to see your builds progressing so quickly - thank you for taking the time to post the updates (though I don't all that often find the time to reply, I am definitely enjoying watching you get down the road). Life can keep me pretty busy, so I will probably take most of the year that we have to get this one done.

Dave
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC
Thank you for your kind words, but truth be told I have an easy job: I work in 1/72... Vegard is however doing well with the KV-5. (I built the Ostmodell version of this monster in 1/72... not a small kit even in this scale.)

Quoted Text

Vegard and Andras and Michael:

It's a pleasure to see your builds progressing so quickly - thank you for taking the time to post the updates (though I don't all that often find the time to reply, I am definitely enjoying watching you get down the road). Life can keep me pretty busy, so I will probably take most of the year that we have to get this one done.

Dave

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 10:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Dave. Unfortunately my progress is slowed because of weathering and figuring out the stowage situation. But I'm still going at a brisk pace.

New progress. After applying the dust, I edited it a bit more... A bit more stowage. A magazine on the back. No up-to-date pictures but it's from a few days ago.

Also these are the tracks now with a black wash.

Like I said, progress is slower. I'm also working on a WC-51 at the same time just to build and keep me in.

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 06:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i dont have many tanks ...but my fav now is a M2 Medium with the M8 turret ,,now i dont know if there is a kit of the M2 but i think i have enough bits to scratch build one which i have been wanting to try anyway .

Phill, welcome! I keep the same tank in my garage and still play it somewhat frequently. I get tired of the tier 9 & 10 guys beating up on me (I'm definitely not in the same league as these guys) and playing a tier 3 can be a really nice change. I am looking forward to watching this come together.

If you don't feel like scratch building, Commander Models might offer an M2? (Though I would rather watch you do a scratch build, as this is something that's way beyond me.)

Dave

Dave i aint going to promise anything on this looking amazing when i am done
Looking at its layout tho ..might not be to much of a bugger to do and to be honest ..i am bored with the Sherman ..they all look the same really ..this on the other hand ..looks pretty damn cool

Phill

PS ... Now to get the bits together ,,,that shouldnt be to hard as i am sure i have a full set of Tamiya M3 Lee bogies which i am sure at the moment ..its a good start
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While doing this, the knife has slipped once or twice, shaving off some of the rivet detail on the lower hull. So, in addition to slow process of scraping off a lot of plastic, I've got to decide how best to replace the rivet detail (wondering about Squadron green putty applied with a toothpick?). To add insult to injury, the AFV Club suspension comes with the solid pressed road wheels. So, I need to use the Dragon open spoke road wheels that came with the kit. However, the axle on the AFV Club suspension units is much too big for the Dragon wheels. I don't have a pin vice bit of big enough diameter to match the AFV Club axle, so I'm trying to sand/shave the axle enough to get the Dragon wheels to fit.

I keep telling myself that all of these problems is making me a better builder... (sigh)

Dave

Dave ..me again lol .. ok a little help for ya ..try and fine as old and slow cordless drill ,,they are cheap as hell and with them being slow they drill out road wheels with ease ..i use a very old Ryobi 4.8 volt drill with a max rpm of 520 ..the battery died so i ripped that out and no use a 7.4 volt 2200 ma LIPO ..works a treat and with it being still pretty slow ..it wont melt the plastic

For you rivets ..two chooses ..cover it in mud ..hidden for good or hunt down a maker who makes them ..i am sure there is some out there who make the rivets in 35th scale ...me i would cheat and cover it with mud

Phill
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For you rivets ..two chooses ..cover it in mud ..hidden for good or hunt down a maker who makes them ..i am sure there is some out there who make the rivets in 35th scale ...me i would cheat and cover it with mud

Phill

I had already thought about option (a)... Because I always have that as the "last resort," I figure that this is the perfect chance to play with some techniques. Worst case, I just scrape off whatever I've done and cover with mud, problem solved!

You see, I'm usually an "out of the box with an Eduard set" builder, so this is a chance to push myself a bit (it was pretty traumatic for me to start chiseling off the bogie mountings from the hull). I see the guys who scratch build and alter hull angles and turret shapes, and I'm just awe struck. I'm trying to treat this build as a chance to take baby steps in that direction...

As for the drill, I've got a variable speed rechargeable, I was just afraid of using it... With the pin vice, it's pretty easy to make reasonably sure that I'm not crooked when I drill. I'm a bit worried about drilling off-axis and ending-up with road wheels that are now canted at an angle. Any advice on drilling straight, without the use of a drill press? Is there some sort of mini drill press for something like a Dremel tool? (Edit: just did some poking around and saw that there is a press for a Dremel, however the cost of a Dremel tool and the press is way beyond what I want to spend. It looks like it's time get brave with my (continuously) variable speed drill.)

Dave
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
Got to working on the suspension/road wheels.

Left side is Tamiya KT and right is Trumpy E-50. Tamiya is 9 tooth sprocket and Trumpy is 18 tooth sprocket.

Here we can see a big difference. The Trumpeter kit has single road wheels while the Tamiya KT has double road wheels. Seeing as how the E-50 was a re-worked King Tiger and was going to share many of the same components, I decided to use the Tamiya road wheels which are also slightly larger than the Trumpy wheels.

Looking at this picture, we can see the second to last road wheel has two road wheels. So my initial choice seems correct. The sprocket is the 18 tooth one, so the kit part is in. The idler has teeth too, so that's something I'll have to do. I seem to remember working on a German kit with a toothed idler, that had us remove the teeth. I have a Tamiya link and length KT tracks but it doesn't work with the 18 tooth sprocket. Looks like I'll have to go with the Hobby boss KT late tracks.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 06:05 PM UTC
You ever have on of those days where you jump on WOT and think " yeah lets kill some time " and nearly everything you go go'es well ?
Today was one of those for me .. i am only a tier 4 player and by tomorrow i'll be tier 5 again,,i had the T1 and freaking hated it ..slow ..gun which couldnt kill much at all..and no accuracy to speck off ..so i thought bugger this i am going back to German .
So now i have a tier 4 panzer IV Ausf D and tomorrow ..the Ausf H and i am looking forward to that extra armour i can tell ya .
Oh today i hit 75000 EP got a gift which really made my day
When i started playing this game to be honest ..i hated it ..tanks disappearing right in front of you when your just about to get the kill and then they show up some other place and kill you ..that still annoys the hell out of me and the invisible players who kill you and you cant see em even tho your vehicle is maxed out .
But least now i have a tank which can kill and since getting it ,,my kills have gone thru the roof
Now to the campaign ...found most of the bits i will need for my M2 including the early suspension and a brand new lower hull from a Priest which i noticed was a lot shorter than the normal M4 hull .
I am going to start on this tomorrow .

Phill

djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You ever have on of those days where you jump on WOT and think " yeah lets kill some time " and nearly everything you go go'es well ?

I had been going through a run of the opposite recently. A run of games where my team was getting just over run (games with something like 3-15 final team scores), or I was just getting killed quickly (and without doing much damage).

Be careful of that envy for higher tier tanks. As you climb the ladder, you'll be fighting against much more capable tanks and ever better players. When I first got my tier 7 T20 and then tier 8 M26, I was just getting trounced by the tier 9 and 10 guys (things get better once you max out the technology tree for the tank and your crew training improves). I still keep my tier 3 M2 in the garage for fun play and am closing in on 1000 missions (just a couple away) with my tier 5 M4A1 (the one that I'm building for this campaign - my favorite tank). Add multiple 100% proficiencies for each crew member and learn what you can and can't get away with for a particular tank, and then you can really have fun (no matter what the tier).

Anyway, how does everyone like the new Stalingrad map in 9.4? I've only played it twice so far, but like the options that it gives you (i.e., running up the wide open stretch along the river on one edge of the map or mixing it up among the ruins).
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 08:06 PM UTC
Yeah climbing up isn't so easy, your gonna have to learn new things along the way. Lower tiers is light tanks, but heavy tanks is a whole new ball game. You have armor, and most times a good gun but your gonna be sloooowwwww. Mediums are a good middle ground but using them well can be tricky. For me tank destroyers is where it's at, i've learned my craft well and can deal damage. Same for artillery, but since they heavily nerfed it so many times, it's not what it used to be.

For me the lower tiers were always the worst, everyone dies so fast and few know what they are doing. Things level out at tier 7-8 where I'm most comfortable. I can hold my own in tier 9, even with my tier 9's. But I hate tier 10 games. It's like going back to low tier games. Everyone dies, no one know what they're doing. Even more so if a couple of those German steel bricks get together or that E-100 waffle. I do okay, but my T-62A can only do so much.

Anyways some progress:

Using spare Tamiya KT wheels. I only used one of the two types supplied, meaning I had to cut that part with the bolts to size.

Looked around some KT walkarounds and added these welds.

Engine deck is done. I'll be adding some "missing" things from the render. For one I'll be putting a radio antenna (why do some have them and some not), and maybe a MG42 on the copula (see previous question), and debating a figure.

Welds on the rear. Ordered some Flamenvernichters from TMD, and just need to fill in the openings for the jack. I'll add the other little bits after I paint.

Also ordered some King Tiger Late tracks, oddly enough I found them a few bucks cheaper from a seller in the UK.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 08:32 PM UTC
Phil. As you climb the tiers you'll find that it's harder to make money. Just keep some lower tier tanks and run them many time for each time you run a higher tier. For me I keep a Hellcat, a M4, T29 (Russian light), and a few other tier 4, 5, and 6 tanks. Usually the higher the gun caliber, the more a single battle will cost. I have a T29 heavy tank. The repair cost isn't bad. But I have a 105mm gun on it. Each shell 1k. So unless I die quickly, it's an expensive battle. You need to do a lot of damage in those tanks to make a good profit.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 10:13 AM UTC
Mike ... Oh that feeling i am already dealing with ... i am in a lot of tier 7 battles now and i am still only tier 5 and my butt has no chance in hell against those ..even with my most powerful rounds ..cant do a little to them ..its depressing to say the least .
For my hot ammo its costs me 7 gold or 2800 credits per shot ..lucky i never live long enough to run out and since i am a invalid i dont have much real money to spend on this game so its all done the hard way but still could be worse
its also the reason that when i go up a tier i have to sell the last tank to afford to get the next ..but still i am climbing
I do have one question tho .. for this campaign do i have to build what i own or can i build anything because i just found a the S-51 SPG and i would love to build it as i am pretty sure i will not have enough time to build the M2 dew to work commitments .

Phill