Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Night Attack!! Stoumont Dec'44
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
I´ve searched for a few clips of someone fireing one...
The "official way" makes it quite easy to ceep the thing under control... which made it easier to handle for "kids, the old and the weak"...

But I´ve also seen soilders launching it from above the shoulder, even from the left instead of the right...
(there is also a tird way shown...)

From the this footage, I guess how you fiered it didn´t make that difference... as they typical cobat distances were way below the max. range of 60m or 30m...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQZ2xLc5q0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4a6lauRPH8
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
Looking really good Jerry- those Y straps really are quite something- I reckon sometimes the aftermarket ones look a little flat and don't capture the leather look quite right- I think your versions capture their look perfectly.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:17 AM UTC
Hello Jerry ,

that figure with the panzerfaust is just looking for an approching target (IMHO). He lowers the weapen to have a better view on the scene.So basically a realistic pose.

Greets Kurt
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:54 AM UTC
Jerry, my friend,

Trust Fabian (among others ), there is nothing verboten here! Leave the poor guy alone! He's got enough on his plate with those paratroopers!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:53 AM UTC
@Fabian-thanks for the cool ref vids. I always enjoy the old Wochenshau vids. The best German film I ever saw was made by the Wehrmacht and was an instruction film for knocking out tanks. They used real T-34s and real explosives. The guys demonstrating were all authentic tank killers right from the front!! I think it's called Man against Tank.
@Karl-thanks for the kind words buddy! Those y straps don't look too bad. The gaiter straps were a lot harder.
@Kurt-Thanks for the insight and comments brother
@Romain- After seeing the ref vids I think I will now keep him as is.

Here is a rough draft of the back wall of the Sanitorium
Sankt Eduard. I copied the stone work style from the few pics I have of this building. The pics all show the roladen so I will include those. That is an item usually overlooked in dios. You European guys know what these are as almost every house has them but we amis don't have a clue.

I forgot to say to Romain-No paras here. This was at the other side of the pocket and these troops were from the USArmy 30Inf Div, 119InfRegt.
J
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:47 AM UTC
More from Miller's book;

The caption for the photo of the solider with the Panzerfaust; "The Panzerfaust was fired from the shoulder or underarm, as shown here. The firer had to be careful not to catch his comrades with the rocket back last."

Even now we still have issues with backblast, with the exception of the newest AT-4 (which is still lethal in the right circumstances) and a few others.

There's a little bit more in the book about man-portable AT stuff, though not much.

And rouladen? I don't remember them being called that but now I am hungry....

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hello Jerry ,

that's really cool , nice drawing you've made by the way. I have them too in my home. All i have to do is turn on the switch to open or shut....really practicle. But in those days the only thing you had was a rope or string to hoist them up or to lower them down.

Looking forward to this !
Greets Kurt

nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yummy, but I must say, Gandma´s do look even better

I´ve found a quite good pic showing the destruction, and the shutters...

And some more here: http://www.oldhickory30th.com/Maison%20Saint-Edouard%20Stoumont%20Belgium.htm

They seem to be an interior thing and to be a "Jalousie"...
Aww... and here we´re again in the german lesson... It might be just my online dictionary, but in German we´ve got at least 3 differnt terms to discribe "ordinary window shutters"... (not speking of those including cotton in any way...)
I´ll leave out the "Fensterladen" and the "Rolladen"... you can google them IF you want...

A "Jalousie" that is that what we see on the pic, thin panels (nowerdays often made plastic or aluminium) which are attached to stings.
By pulling on these you can raise or lower the whole thing and adjust the angle of the panels...

Oh and yes, I´ve just watched "Männer gegen Panzer" today... but I must say, that most of the English subtiles were a bit far from what they really said
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:32 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

:D But I must say, Gandma´s do look even better

I´ve found a quite good pic showing the destruction, and the shutters...

They seem to be an interior thing and to be a "Jalousie"...
Aww... and here we´re again in the german lesson... It might be just my online dictionary, but in German we´ve got at least 3 differnt terms to discribe "ordinary window shutters"... (not speking of those including cotton in any way...)
I´ll leave out the "Fensterladen" and the "Rolladen"... you can google them IF you want...

A "Jalousie" that is that what we see on the pic, thin panels (nowerdays often made plastic or aluminium) which are attached to stings.
By pulling on these you can raise or lower the whole thing and adjust the angle of the panels

The closet was mounted indoors but the shutter was on the outside of the window.

greets Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:28 PM UTC
Yes,that pic shows the western wall of the building and the damage there had to be caused by the American tank fire. The Germans were on the opposite side of the building and the assault was made to the left side(the "back"of the building). I am talking about the rolladen and I mean the screen that is usually outside the window that can be lowered to keep out the sun or whatever else. They are very nice things to have in Germany if you have to get some sleep in the summer when it doesn't get dark until around 9;30 sometimes in the summer. Fabian knows what I mean.
The pics I am using for reference are in the books "Duel in the Mist" and they clearly show rolladen on the front windows. I can't post then here because of copyright issues.
"Men against tanks " is really good isn't it? Can't get more authentic than that.
J
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes,that pic shows the western wall of the building and the damage there had to be caused by the American tank fire. The Germans were on the opposite side of the building and the assault was made to the left side(the "back"of the building). I am talking about the rolladen and I mean the screen that is usually outside the window that can be lowered to keep out the sun or whatever else. They are very nice things to have in Germany if you have to get some sleep in the summer when it doesn't get dark until around 9;30 sometimes in the summer. Fabian knows what I mean.
The pics I am using for reference are in the books "Duel in the Mist" and they clearly show rolladen on the front windows. I can't post then here because of copyright issues.
"Men against tanks " is really good isn't it? Can't get more authentic than that.
J

I'm know what their for, I just don't remember them being called by that name. My dad was stationed their twice; I had been born years before the second deployment there. Picked up a fair bit of German, not enough to speak conversational but still. Over the years here in Cali I've lost nearly all of it.

How do you plan on making them?
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hi Jerry - well, I've concluded that watching your builds is simply educational! How to do it - uhhh and about "what" you are actually doing! Weapons etc carving up figures, or now, architectural elements - lots of cool stuff in each build - thanks and good show

Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

I'm know what their for, I just don't remember them being called by that name. My dad was stationed their twice; I had been born years before the second deployment there. Picked up a fair bit of German, not enough to speak conversational but still. Over the years here in Cali I've lost nearly all of it.

How do you plan on making them?

No worries buddy,
I may be calling them by an improper name as well. It's just what we all called them as they do spool on a roll when retracted up on the top of the window,inside the window frame. Very very nice things to have,not only for the sunshade effect but also to help with keeping heat in or out!! I always wondered why they aren't over here yet. We are just now finally adapting the german style washing machines that are so good on saving water and electricity. AND get the clothes cleaner BTW.
If you look at the linky Fabian provided about the St Eduard the third pic down showing the flakvierling gives a good view of the "rolladen".
I am sort of making up the way the back of the building looks as I have no pics of it. I assume it would not be as ornate as the front with all of its' arcitectual embellishments?
I plan on making the rolladen by using evergreen plastic strips. No biggy.
Thanks for looking in and lucky you for getting to live in Europe for a bit!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry - well, I've concluded that watching your builds is simply educational! How to do it - uhhh and about "what" you are actually doing! Weapons etc carving up figures, or now, architectural elements - lots of cool stuff in each build - thanks and good show

Cheers
Nick

Thanks Nick,
It gives me something to do. My mind and body have been pretty roughly used up so there is not much else for me.
I must say there has been a very generous amount of interaction on this thread,which is freekin awesome! I always manage to gleen some new intel every day here. Your build being one of those sources,so get better and get back to her!!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:33 AM UTC
Got some done on the Panzer fist guy. He now is armed with Kr98k pouches,stick grenade,egg grenade and belt with buckle. Still need to refine the collars of the M1944 and wool jackets.
Decided to give him one of the rare helmet covers(at this stage of the war)

Have to add the foliage loops and do some sanding and dog hair removal,I see.

Nice little seam on the back of that ammo pouch. PzF needs to be drilled out as well. Shaping up though.
Those new Dragon GenII boots are sweet. Love the hobnails.
J
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 12:15 PM UTC
Didn't know anyone made the egg granades in scale.

He's obviously lost some weight, all the hard, late war fighting and maybe some ration issues; belt looks a bit to slack up front I think.

Another good looking figure Jerry.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:58 AM UTC
Boom goes the tank! Haha, good figure you got there. If he's from the kit I'm thinking of, I've built the same one. Actually, that's the first dragon figure I ever built back in 11th grade when I started getting "serious" about this stuff. Love how all the figs are turning out, sir.

-Conor
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
I echo the others , you did a fine job Master J!

Greets Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 07:37 AM UTC
@Chris- Yes,I shaved a few pounds off him. The soldiers at the wars' end didn't get a lot of groceries and most figs look too well fed to me. The belt is sticking out too far as I haven't put the final putty on. That will fill it in a bit. Not too worried bout his front anyway as it won't hardly be seen.
The egg grenades are very nicely done in the Gen II sets.
Thanks for looking in bud.
@Conor-It is that set probably but I changed the winter combat suit over to the regular 1943 pattern smock and gave him a helmet cover,etc. See above.
@Kurt-thanks for the loyalty factor bubba!
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:20 PM UTC
Yes I noticed that. Hard to fathom how you get down into that level of detail on the figures. It's funny, mine is sitting on an old diorama for school and he doesn't look too bad.

Still waiting for those two figures you haven't showed us yet

-Conor
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes I noticed that. Hard to fathom how you get down into that level of detail on the figures. It's funny, mine is sitting on an old diorama for school and he doesn't look too bad.

Still waiting for those two figures you haven't showed us yet

-Conor

Conor is right Jerry.....it's amazing how much additional detail you can pack into your figures!!!
Well done bro!!!

Rolläden are easy when closed, and plastic strips are just fine when they are shot apart. Anyway they are easier to render than Klappläden!!

Looking forward to progress on this building!!!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC
Conor and Romain,thanks for commenting again. I love it when I hear you guys giving feedback.
I had to keep a few things secret in this or there would be an anti-climax when it was finished wouldn't it?
I do want to get to the building. Things involving the demo of the carport and stuff with our cars has kept me busy.
Thanks again for commenting buddies,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:26 AM UTC
Decided to add another figure as per the discussion earlier in the thread. Frustrated with the commo situation,Obersturmfuhrer Sievers has a strippenzeher run some land line to his location in order to direct the tank fire and mortar fire more accurately.
Modified this dragon guy to show him running,added long sleeves and a scarf. I started building the commo wire backback out of brass wire and lead foil. The spool will have the PE ends I had made for the Zack Zack dio and the resin frame from Greymatterfigures.

The sling attachment points I made using the springclip from a PE German machine gun sling. The strap is lead foil with a PE buckle threaded on.
Sounds fiddly I know,but the more detail I can add on the better it makes my so-so painting look!

The bent handle crank is in the stowed position as he is spooling the wire out. When reeling it in the handle is hooked up.

I will add the spool later as there is more clean-up to do on this guy first.
Smallish update but hey...at least something got done.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
Your painting is not so-so m8!!!

It's only that your details are so overwhelming both in number and quality!!

This new figure is really promising!! Well done Sir!!!!

Cheers

Romain

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:52 AM UTC
That's pretty impressive Jerry !

Greets

Kurt