_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Night Attack!! Stoumont Dec'44
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:05 AM UTC
Ramping up for the next one. I did one American and now back to the German viewpoint.
Night attack on the St Edward Sanitorium conducted by the combat engineerkompanie of Obersturmfuhrer Sievers of 1SS Panzerpioneer Abt and supported by the 9/1SS PzRegt(pioneer) and elements of III/2SSPzGrenRegt(mortars) and a few tanks from 2 and 6 1SS PzRegt.
This was a counter attack to regain possession of the main building after GIs from the 30Inf Div captured it in their drive to encircle Peipers' battlegroup.
Started the frankenstein work on the figs. There will be 7 total.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
Figure on left is wearing the combat engineers pouches that hooked up to the y straps just like the MP40 ammo pouches. The other guy is signalling with his flashlight to shift fire. The Germans used a Panther tank in the buildings back yard to blast each room before they entered the room. Inf weapons and high explosives,panzerfausts and panzershreks also did the devils' work.
J
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:33 AM UTC
Sounds cool, Jerry. Will be following, and more vocal this time.
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hello there,

Looking forward to this if it's a good as your previous.
Nice (if that's the right word) to see a guy with a grenade.

Cheers,

Sean

http://azimutproductions.blogspot.fr/
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:30 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

another dio..!! Fine, you are spoiling us!! But don't let anybody stop you!!

One thing: the right side figure's head looks huge (distortion on the photo??). If it is rather big, you should be careful with painting, keeping the colours somewhat darker! Just my 2p worth!!

Good luck

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
Chris-Thanks for being in on the ground floor with this one! Look forward to your input this time. We will try to stay off the topic of stonework maybe?
Sean-Nice to see you here as well! Nice work on the hedgerow. When it gets warmer I have a few Normandy ideas I want to explore. Yes,these guys were pioneers so...lots of grenades and explosives.
Romain-I thought the same thing about the head. It is mostly because of the thick chin strap as I actually measured the head from top to bottom and it is only maybe one mili. bigger than the hornet head to the left!
And...some guys have bigger heads!! Hahaha
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:29 AM UTC
Got another guy cobbled together. Changing magazines.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:02 AM UTC

Jerry my friend,

you are really innovative when it comes to "create" your figures! I like that a lot!!
That combined with your personal experience in the field makes for credible poses galore!

Maybe Dragon o.s. could ask you to show them how to do things properly..!!

Eager to see more!!!

Cheers

Romain
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:42 PM UTC
Here we go again...in a totally good way !

Loving the franken-figure work already- some interesting action poses with the two guys fully engrossed and shouting instructions. The flashlight signalling is a fantastic touch- I assume he is signalling to the tank? (Or maybe the mortars?)

I think the face on the guy changing mags is really well picked- a look of grim determination- I assume he is going to be behind cover of some sort due to the way you've posed him?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC
How are you going to make your diorama self-explanatory that it's at night? It's always 'daytime' with dioramas.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here we go again...in a totally good way !

Loving the franken-figure work already- some interesting action poses with the two guys fully engrossed and shouting instructions. The flashlight signalling is a fantastic touch- I assume he is signalling to the tank? (Or maybe the mortars?)

I think the face on the guy changing mags is really well picked- a look of grim determination- I assume he is going to be behind cover of some sort due to the way you've posed him?

Thanks Karl for getting in on the ground floor on this one! Yes,he is signalling the Panther. The mag changing guy is leaning against a wall. I want to keep a few points secret so the end result is more appreciated. Worked pretty good for my last one. If I give away all it has a tendency to become anti-climactic?
I was inspired by this story because of the words written by the American unit involved(30Inf Div) as they described the German counter attack as being executed with "fanatical aggressiveness". By the time the Americans finished re-taking the main building only 5 members of Sievers' company remained alive and un-wounded. But still,they only withdrew when ordered to do so.
The German attack that night was thoroughly well done and used a very nice combined arms effort. There is nothing in writing but I always wondered who designed the attack? Peiper had just personally briefed Sievers in person in Stoumont about the vital importance of capturing that key building and holding that position. As elements from almost every asset Peiper commanded were used I therefor wonder weather Peiper designed the attack? Seivers,by all accounts was brave and aggressive but still,a First Lt?
Sorry to wax reflective this early in the day. Too much coffee,yet again.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hello Jerry ,

you fly like a rocket my brother from an other mother ! Watch out for the windows if you go supersonic !!

Okay , a new diorama ! Yes ! With a new story , cool !

Show us some more please .

Greets Kurt

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jerry ,

you fly like a rocket my brother from an other mother ! Watch out for the windows if you go supersonic !!

Okay , a new diorama ! Yes ! With a new story , cool !

Show us some more please .

Greets Kurt

A rocket? Maybe not! But the windows may be affected after I eat a large bean burrito!
Thanks for checking in my brother.

How about one more player? Besides a flashlight,there are other ways. But is he signaling or firing illumination flares?
The American tankers said the attack was lit by flares fired in such a way as to light up the GIs position but also so that the source of the flares was not detected.
So hand fired flares maybe. I would go with experience and say the battlefield illumination was furnished by the towed 120mm mortars placed in the woodline just to the northeast of the sanitorium. The lighting of the flares coincided with the rapid demise of 3 Shermans lined up on the road below the main building. Victims of either tank or "armored fist" fire.
Once again,this was a very well organized attack.Two key objectives in an attack VIOLENCE and SURPRISE were accomplished. But I digress. This guy I was lucky enough to find from a dragon set and he didn't need any frankenstein measures. Just changing the arms and head a bit so he faces forward. I aimed his head down and away from the signal pistol so he can retain a bit of night vision after the thing is fired. Vets know how hard that is during night ops.
I also scribed his firing hand a bit and popped a brass tube on the pisol from the excellent Albion range of tiny brass stuff.

I am still not satisfied with the dragon helmets. They don't seem rounded enough at the apex? It still needs to get lower on his noggin as well. What say ye? Any better brain buckets out there?
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How are you going to make your diorama self-explanatory that it's at night? It's always 'daytime' with dioramas.

Ah yes! Good point. Hmmm....maybe a shadowbox is in order?
J
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:25 PM UTC
That helmet looks okay to me Jerry. I was thinking if you are not happy with it you could swap it out for one with a camo cover- but I'm not sure if the troops you are depicting would have been wearing them- if anyone knows it will be you mate!
As for it sitting lower I tend to scrape the inside moulding out of any helmets I use- mostly because I use Hornet heads like yourself and if they have hair or I've cut a cap off them or something it won't fit in the DML helmets until I either sand down their heads or scrape the inside of the helmet out.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

you are right in so far as the helmet should sit lower on his head.
Congratulations on the flare guy BTW! Just to think of him trying to avoid being blinded momentarily is what makes your figures so special!!

How far were the 120mm mortars away from the action?? Minimum distances and all that sort of things! (Just thinking)

I'm sure you'll take the right path!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That helmet looks okay to me Jerry. I was thinking if you are not happy with it you could swap it out for one with a camo cover- but I'm not sure if the troops you are depicting would have been wearing them- if anyone knows it will be you mate!
As for it sitting lower I tend to scrape the inside moulding out of any helmets I use- mostly because I use Hornet heads like yourself and if they have hair or I've cut a cap off them or something it won't fit in the DML helmets until I either sand down their heads or scrape the inside of the helmet out.

Thanks for the quick reply buddy. That is also what I do when switching heads and helmets. I thought it was still too high and you confirm it so ...lower it is!
Of the pics I've seen,very few wore the helmet cover in this action. They were actually poorly equipped,contrary to the old myth that the SS "always got priority on new weapons and equipment".
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 03:03 AM UTC
[quote]Hi Jerry,

you are right in so far as the helmet should sit lower on his head.
Congratulations on the flare guy BTW! Just to think of him trying to avoid being blinded momentarily is what makes your figures so special!!

How far were the 120mm mortars away from the action?? Minimum distances and all that sort of things! (Just thinking)

I'm sure you'll take the right path!!

Thinking like a soldier again Romain!
Yes,the 120mm's were about maybe 1Km away at the most. They were in the western edge of the treeline that looks over Stoumont from the northeast and had direct line of site to the main building. I had thought about including a guy with a wire spool for field phone but since it was line of site they probably didn't need that right away?
We are so spoiled in the modern military by radio comms that we don't think about the command and control problems they had back then. Almost all small unit action in the German army at that time was by officer courier,runner or field phone!
Thanks for checking in bubba,
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 04:33 AM UTC

Couriers and field telephones indeed!!

Strange that a technically advanced nation such as Germany did not develop an effective wireless comm system!!

Still, I would not dismiss the telephone right away. Optical signs at night could give away positions, couldn't they!

And it could make for an interesting figure (not so common!!)

Cheers

Romain

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC
I like your last figure, though I would agree about the Stalhhelm, much to flat.

David Miller's Fighting Men of WWII; Axis Forces spends a lot of time on German flares. I've got a copy if you want any information.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange that a technically advanced nation such as Germany did not develop an effective wireless comm system!!

Still, I would not dismiss the telephone right away. Optical signs at night could give away positions, couldn't they!

Cheers

Romain

Well they did have radios,just not as good as the USArmy ones. There were several comms tracks with the battlegroup,even a liason track from DivHq comms unit. Contact was sporadic in the valley of the Ambleve though.
But Peiper,along with any German serving in Normandy,didn't trust radio comms because the allies were very good at target spotting on radio emissions,a hard learned lesson that the alten hasen all remembered!
As far as the flashlight signal giving away the position,he is at the back of the building and the Ami force is on the other side. I did consider that point you see.
I may still add a wireman fig running up to the wall to give more a feeling of urgency to the scene?
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like your last figure, though I would agree about the Stalhhelm, much to flat.

David Miller's Fighting Men of WWII; Axis Forces spends a lot of time on German flares. I've got a copy if you want any information.

Cool! I would just like to know if the hand held signal pistil had a flare/illum. option for ammo? I know they had at least three color signal flares but what about illum.?
As far as the helmet goes,look back at my first pic and you can see the difference in the hornet helmet on the left and the dragon on the right.
Thanks in advance buddy! For the flare intel.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Romain

Well they did have radios,just not as good as the USArmy ones. There were several comms tracks with the battlegroup,even a liason track from DivHq comms unit. Contact was sporadic in the valley of the Ambleve though.
I may still add a wireman fig running up to the wall to give more a feeling of urgency to the scene?
J

Great idea, good thinking!!

R.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cool! I would just like to know if the hand held signal pistil had a flare/illum. option for ammo? I know they had at least three color signal flares but what about illum.?
As far as the helmet goes,look back at my first pic and you can see the difference in the hornet helmet on the left and the dragon on the right.
Thanks in advance buddy! For the flare intel.
J

The Walther Light Pistol 1928 had a 26.mm, smooth bore barrel was a breach loaded weapon.

There is also a Kampfpistole listed. Which had a 23mm rifled insert fitted (I assume in the Walther 1928) and that fired a 1oz Sprengranate, it was found ineffective. Then the Germans developed Wurfkorper 358 LP which used a potatoe masher grenade as a warhead, this was too heavy and gave a terrible offensive range.

Eihandgrante were then developed and had a theoretical range of 93 yards. Over 250,000 were made between '41 and '42.

An anti-tank grenade, Wurfgranate 326, could penetrate two inches of armor. 400,000 were built. It had a range of 300 yards but had issues with accuracy at even 100 yards.

There was also a war-time standard of Pfeifpatrone whistling rounds to warn incase of gas attacks.

Also shown is a picture of a double barreled version of the Walther 1928 for more complex signals.

All flares were carried in a large metal box that held up to twenty four rounds.

Unfortunately Miller doesn't go into any detail on colors or mention an illumination round but I did find mention of a Gewehr Fallshirmleuchtgranate illuminated rifle ganade. It's a 30mms round with a 500 yard range. Rifle grenades were in metal canisters of five rounds and were further packed into crates.

I'll post some photos in a few minutes as my scanner has been rather rebellious for the last few months.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:36 AM UTC

Miller makes no mention of the five round cylinder.

EDIT: Sorry about the photo orientation, I forgot to pay attention to which way I was holding my tablet and only flipped the last two photos as I knew they were upside down.
 _GOTOTOP