Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Night Attack!! Stoumont Dec'44
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Dave,
I was thinking on adding some venician blinds and curtains as well. Thoughts?
J

Not personally knowing much about Roloden my question would be this: wouldn't they make the Venetian blind kinda redundant? Curtains for sure as the hausfrau (?) would want to make the window inside look more livable I would suspect. Then again, being that she's German she might like the austere look of the shutters by themselves.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC

Dave is right! No venitians, but veil curtains for sure!

Cheers

Romain
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 01:23 PM UTC
Jerry - great work on the whole wall. I like the contrast you've decided on - subtle stone work colors allow the sash/shades to really punch - nice

Nick
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 01:33 PM UTC
Nice update. You got the right amount of damage on them while still making them pleasant to look at. The occupants would be pleased. Then again, the sanatorium occupants may have strange tastes...

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:56 AM UTC
Dave and Romain,
The only reason I was thinking about the interior blinds was the one pic of the destoyed building showed them. But I tend to agree that they would look redundant so I will pass. Some nice curtains though.....yes!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:59 AM UTC
Nick and Conor,
Thanks for checking in and for the nice remarks. Progress has been kind of slow as I am in the middle of a 1/1 project. Prepping the living room walls for paint. I never did that when the house was first purchased,just painted over the old damage so now I must pay the piper. Fun times.
I did pour some plaster to make rubble with though. Something at least.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave and Romain,
The only reason I was thinking about the interior blinds was the one pic of the destoyed building showed them. But I tend to agree that they would look redundant so I will pass. Some nice curtains though.....yes!
J

You might have a point with the one room!! Maybe some special purpose area, like treatment o.s. and thus wanting a little more variety in lighting! Who knows!

Cheers

R.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dave and Romain,
J

You might have a point with the one room!! Maybe some special purpose area, like treatment o.s. and thus wanting a little more variety in lighting! Who knows!

Cheers

R.

Nice of you to give me an"out" for making the decision buddy. I think I will drop the interior blind idea. I examined the damage in the pics from '44 and what I thought was a damaged blind was in fact a large piece of the rooms' ceiling that was hanging down in back of the window. It is lathe and plaster and so at first glance I thought it was a blind.
When I get a chance to get back to it I will be adding the interior rubble next before I close up the wall in front.
I did add those MG bullet strikes for Kurt though!
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 05:24 AM UTC
And i'm waiting for it Jerry ! Getting a little bit impatient over here .....

My ice cream is also melting !

No , just take your time Master J ,i like the shutters you've made....or rolluiken in Dutch !

Kurt
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 12:30 PM UTC
So I've got to ask, are you going to AMPS this year? I'll be there Friday and maybe Saturday morning. I know Mr. Roof will be there for sure. And like Kurt said, take your time. Can't rush perfection.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 02:10 AM UTC
@Kurt--I will try to get some pics today of the MG holes for you buddy. I am still busy with this prep work before painting my living room.
@Conor-yes little brother,I am going to amps and will arrive sometime fri and stay till sun. Look forward to meeting you and seeing Mike again after about 20 years.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:54 AM UTC
These should satisfy Kurt anyway.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:37 AM UTC
Great job on the figures Jerry. Should make for a great action scene. You wrote "This building was made of bricks but covered with the thin type of decoration type stone popular still today". Would thay have this at that time? It looks quite modern to me? Would they have spent money on an asylum to "line" the outside? Just wondering ... dont actually know myself. It feels a bit weird to see bricks on the inside of a cut stone wall .. especially in a WWII scene.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job on the figures Jerry. Should make for a great action scene. You wrote "This building was made of bricks but covered with the thin type of decoration type stone popular still today". Would thay have this at that time? It looks quite modern to me? Would they have spent money on an asylum to "line" the outside? Just wondering ... dont actually know myself. It feels a bit weird to see bricks on the inside of a cut stone wall .. especially in a WWII scene.

Thanks for looking in Frank and for the nice comments.
If you check out page 5 of this thread there is a linky to some pics of the building in '44 showing the extensive damage. If you look at the first floor on the side of the structure you can see what I am talking about.
Other parts are indeed made out of cut stone through and through or at least stone dressed on one side.There was a lot of this type of stone work around during and before the war.
This was a very elaborate building for being an asylum out in the sticks. I wondered who was the benefactor? The church?
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC
WAAAAW ,great job ! Very realistic, specifically with a higher amount of bullet holes around the windows.

It is obvious that you have the knowledge and the skills to create this the right way....

Keep up the good work ,take your time Jerry !

Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WAAAAW ,great job ! Very realistic, specifically with a higher amount of bullet holes around the windows.

It is obvious that you have the knowledge and the skills to create this the right way....

Keep up the good work ,take your time Jerry !

Kurt

I thought you would appreciate this Kurt ol buddy. I made sure I posted it before I left for the AMPS show!!
Still lots of work to do here though.
J
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hi Jerry.
Follow this thread behind the scenes, but I have to react now.
Very nice build so far on the building. Great to see the detail in the damage.
Cool.

Regards,

RJ
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 03:02 PM UTC
I gotta say, all your dioramas (and the gun crew vignette, to be specific) look even better in person, which says a lot. Couldn't stop myself from snapping more than a few pics of them, even though there's a bunch on here.

My dad really liked that vignette

I didn't want to go dig up and bump each individual thread, so I figured I'd post them here. Again, can't say enough how awesome it was seeing them in person.

Sorry I didn't get to chat more at AMPS, my schedule wasn't really too great since I was there with my uncle (who isn't into any of that stuff). I would've liked to though, the show was great but I wish I could've stuck around for the whole second day. Great meeting you face to face regardless See you at the next one I suppose!

-Conor

By the way, I got wind of a diorama workshop down in southeast Connecticut in May that I'll try to go to, if it's not too far off for you it'd be cool to see you there!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:21 PM UTC

Hi Conor,

thanks for those beautiful pics, proof of Jerry's talents (as if need should be ).
I'd love to meet him face to face too, but..!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey Conor!!
It was really great to see you in person as well. Had a great pow wow with you and hope to get to do it again.
I see you got a Silver medal for you Panther vignette which isn't too shabby at all at an Amps show,for what I can see.
I was not expecting to do well as my stuff is not really built for a show in mind and therefore I don't usually finish them off from all 4 sides. They are built with photography in mind and not medals.
Nice show and I also got to see my ol buddy Mike Roof and his wife from the old old days at Ft Bragg and Fayetteville IPMS. Spent too much money though,as always. Got to preview the new "Duel in the Mist" book as well. Yaahooo!!
This will be my last BoB dio till next winter though. It's gotta be cold for me to work on a Ardennes dio. Funny,but there it is.
Romain buddy,
Maybe someday I will make it back to the Continent on one of my Telford trips? Would be nice to meet in person,I agree. Maybe even get to see"Comte Claude" as well.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:10 PM UTC
Not to commandeer a thred but congrats Conor!! Silver at AMPS, sweet I would think:-)

Great job.

Dave
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:16 PM UTC
A silver? That's great, thanks guys. I guess I should've stuck around! But I had to hurry up and sit in 5 hours of traffic to Gettysburg. Glad I could find out here though, apparently they're mailing me my results and what not. I know what you mean about photography rather than a 360 view. That forced perspective diorama could only be looked at from ONE angle, so it goes against the 360 rule hahaha. It's whatever, I know I got some cool pictures of your stuff. I especially liked the set up for the Cheux diorama with the backdrop & pictures. Nicely done. You pick up anything good? I left with a Stug and Panzer III, figure upgrades, a tank engine, and a 1/16 German Para. And a diorama base. Wow. That's more than I thought, but I still want more The struggle is real.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:26 PM UTC
I spent the most on books. Also got 4 sets of hornet heads and some majicksculpt.
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 04:52 PM UTC
Magicsculpt! That's what I should've been looking for. You're figures are all proof that it works great. Do you remember whast vendor it was?
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:45 PM UTC
Really outstanding work.