Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Ya Hadda Good Home and Ya Left!!
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 04:22 PM UTC
Nice! I've seen Battleground, great movie, even more so when you consider when it came out...same time as a lot of the sub-par WWII movies, that, admittedly, I still love to watch. The resculpting you do is just awesome. I still struggle with filling gaps hahaha. Are you using magic sculpt with this guy?

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice! I've seen Battleground, great movie, even more so when you consider when it came out...same time as a lot of the sub-par WWII movies, that, admittedly, I still love to watch. The resculpting you do is just awesome. I still struggle with filling gaps hahaha. Are you using magic sculpt with this guy?

-Conor

Yeah,I love that movie,always have. My best buddies' dad was in the Bulge as a grunt. He said it was pretty realistic and he didn't think much about Hollywood war movies. He remembered the Chaplain wiping his eyes because they were dirty and said that brought back memories because that was the only time in his life he was so dirty even the creases at the side of his eyes had dirt in them.
I am still using up my ole epoxy putty before I start on the sculpt stuff.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
Got a bit done with the second application of putty. Mostly on the coat. Started his mittens/gloves and got their basic shapes done. Need refinement. Added the Tommy Gun and snugged it in. Started on his back as well. Still need to add the rest of the pistol belt and Y straps,also the cargo pockets on the trousers as well as a nice ripped pants leg,etc etc.
Not looking forward to figuring out how to build a 1/35 safety pin to hold his coat closed!!

I have to shorten his fingers on the bent arm by filling in at the top.

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
Coming along nicely, Jer.

I really like this guy's anatomy and "body language," the wrappings around his boot and feet set off the "tired limp."

All in all, this is a great conversion and you're doing the character justice.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along nicely, Jer.

I really like this guy's anatomy and "body language," the wrappings around his boot and feet set off the "tired limp."

All in all, this is a great conversion and you're doing the character justice.

Thanks for the encouragement buddy. I sure could use it right now. He still looks a bit rough and these pics really show that to me. Lets me see where I have to invest in time and effort.
As far as doing this figure justice goes, I just watched the movie clip last night and I feel like I failed miserably.
J
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC

Some visual reference if someone for some unknown reason has never seen Battleground.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some visual reference if someone for some unknown reason has never seen Battleground.

Holy cow man!!! I was just thinking this morning after I wrote my last entry here that I wished I could get a screen grab of the guy so I could get him closer to reality. And...BANG...there you go posting exactly what I need!!!! You Sir,are a Scholar and a Gentleman,not necessarily in that order!
Thank you thank you thank you,
J
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 05:50 AM UTC
Great movie, great character, great start, looking forward to seeing him finished. When he's done, are you going to start on the rest of the platoon? Al
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC
How exactly do you reckon you've 'failed miserably' Jerry? I mean from that screen grab I can see a real likeness to your figure- the leg and upper body stance are pretty much exact and the shape of the clothing is coming along brilliantly. I reckon you are being a bit harsh on yourself bud.
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:24 PM UTC

No problem Jerry,

I was amazed at the likeness of the head to Mr. Whitmore, really looks like him.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 02:07 AM UTC
Al,Karl and Jim,
Thanks for the words of support. Yes,I do get down on myself very harshly,but.....that's who I am. Too old now to change I suppose.
I always judge my stuff against the things I see on the interwebs,some of which are freekin spectacular and so yes, my stuff looks like bullcr-p to me.
Having this excellent screengrab will sure help things a lot though. I do much better when copying a real object. My imagination is not what it used to be.
I see some things right off the bat that I must work on. His coat needs to be longer and with different creases and his bent arm needs to come back down a bit. I forgot he discarded his tommy gun ammo pouch and used the left front pocket of his coat as an ammo pouch. You can see the weight in the film as he walks.
I am wondering now about the helmet net. The molded on one looks like ca ca and there are "fringes" hanging down from the front.
Man,lots of changes and work but this has become a challenge here.
Thanks again fellas,you are the best.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:38 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

never an easy task to make a portrait!! And IMHO you are doing quite well so far!! And nobody actually doubts your bravery!

I'm glad Jimmy posted the 2 pics....as I've lent my DVD to a friend some time ago!

Looking at them, I can only confirm the likeness so far!

Congrats m8!!

Looking forward to seeing progress!!

Cheers

Romain
Lonewolf7usa
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 10:07 AM UTC
As a former paratrooper, thanks! Great ideal and it's coming along great! Can't wait to see it finished! AIRBORNE
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 01:06 PM UTC
I think you are doing and excellent job with this figure. It is hard to pull off an exact likeness of a particular character, but I think you are doing a good job at getting very close to that likeness. As I am often harder on myself on how I feel about the job I have done on past figures, I understand you being hard on yourself. However, there really is not a need as you are doing very well with this project. Just a few more things to do with putty and you are golden.

I am glad that you decided to do this figure as it brought back childhood memories of watching Battleground every time it showed on TV.

Cheers,
James
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 04:03 PM UTC
A great movie indeed. I can remember sitting up with my dad watching it when I was a kid, and you are too hard on yourself; but we all are. And that's what seperates you and some other very talented people on this interwebs you speak of , from the rest of us. No compromise. A quality often sadly absent from people today. You just keep on working your magic. We will keep watching in amazement Jerry.

Banshee3Actual
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 06:01 PM UTC
Kinney carried a M1928A1 not M1A1 Thompson in the movie. By the way simply awesome capturing the look.
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:08 PM UTC
HEre's the youtube clip of the scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQvYE8sbc8

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC
I gotta watch this movie again, I've spent the morning looking at clips on YouTube instead of studying for this statistics final in half an hour... So, basically, morning well spent.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

never an easy task to make a portrait!! And IMHO you are doing quite well so far!! And nobody actually doubts your bravery!

I'm glad Jimmy posted the 2 pics....as I've lent my DVD to a friend some time ago!

Looking at them, I can only confirm the likeness so far!

Congrats m8!!

Looking forward to seeing progress!!

Cheers

Romain

Thanks Romain,for the much needed words of encouragement!!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As a former paratrooper, thanks! Great ideal and it's coming along great! Can't wait to see it finished! AIRBORNE

Thanks buddy. I was airborne as well but the guys in this film were not. They were supposed to be the 327 GIR if I recall.
Thanks for the kind words though.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you are doing and excellent job with this figure. It is hard to pull off an exact likeness of a particular character, but I think you are doing a good job at getting very close to that likeness. As I am often harder on myself on how I feel about the job I have done on past figures, I understand you being hard on yourself. However, there really is not a need as you are doing very well with this project. Just a few more things to do with putty and you are golden.

I am glad that you decided to do this figure as it brought back childhood memories of watching Battleground every time it showed on TV.

Cheers,
James

Thanks JIm,for looking in. I am trying to do this guy justice as I admire those old hard core guys a lot. I think about how we used to whine and snivle about being deployed in Desert Shield/Storm for 8 months or Just Cause for a month while these guys were in for the"Duration" or until they got WIA or KIA.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A great movie indeed. I can remember sitting up with my dad watching it when I was a kid, and you are too hard on yourself; but we all are. And that's what seperates you and some other very talented people on this interwebs you speak of , from the rest of us. No compromise. A quality often sadly absent from people today. You just keep on working your magic. We will keep watching in amazement Jerry.

Very very kind thing to say brother.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kinney carried a M1928A1 not M1A1 Thompson in the movie. By the way simply awesome capturing the look.

Thanks for the words of encouragement buddy. What are the different characteristics of the two SMG's?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HEre's the youtube clip of the scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQvYE8sbc8

Thanks for that. Good point of reference for anyone looking in.
I figured out a field expedient way of capturing the scene by taking a pic of the video in progress! That is how much I now about the interwebs.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I gotta watch this movie again, I've spent the morning looking at clips on YouTube instead of studying for this statistics final in half an hour... So, basically, morning well spent.

-Conor

Yeah man,it's worth another watch. Specially the scene where they flank the attacking German unit and leave one poor sod crying for his "Mutti" out in the mist.
Reminds us that we are all human.
J