And armored pretty well, unlike an airliner at 36000

Let's not bring politics into this.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 - 05:02 AM UTC
Didn't the US just send a wing of A-10s to Europe?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 - 06:03 AM UTC
I believe we have some stationed there.
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 - 09:30 PM UTC
The A10 retirement is a ruse to get more money from congress. They know congress will not let it die, too popular with our troops are far too effective. But USAF wants (needs IMHO) the F35 so they transfer all the A10 money to it. Congress has a fit and passes a special bill to keep and FUND the A10s separately.

Everyone wins. Blame the navy, they're the ones who started it by claiming the F18E/F is just a new mod hornet, not a completely new plane that looks the same.

Gennadiy, that's the first new pic of object 195 in a year, where'd you find it!?!

Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 04:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gennadiy, that's the first new pic of object 195 in a year, where'd you find it!?!

195 is not Armata!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the gatling gun is for attack helos. I m not sure if it would stand up to a solid A-10 attack. How can the Russians afford this program??

Chris

Simple- They're not bogged down with a bunch of political "pork barrel projects" like we are here in the US...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The A10 retirement is a ruse to get more money from congress. They know congress will not let it die, too popular with our troops are far too effective. But USAF wants (needs IMHO) the F35 so they transfer all the A10 money to it. Congress has a fit and passes a special bill to keep and FUND the A10s separately.

Everyone wins. Blame the navy, they're the ones who started it by claiming the F18E/F is just a new mod hornet, not a completely new plane that looks the same.

Personally, I'm in favor of the A-10, F/A-18E/F "Super-Bugs", the "new" EA-18G "Growler", ANY AND ALL F-35s, ALL new M1 Abrams "upgrades", lobbies to continue production of the F-22s, etc, etc- My being a believer in a STRONG and UP-TO-DATE MILITARY is moot...

Speaking of the M1, what comes after the M1A2 SEP V2? The Abrams, as GOOD AS IT IS, is getting a bit "long in the tooth", no?

It's not just the USAF that wants the F-35, but the US NAVY and USMC as well, PLUS a few other nations as well. The current stink in Congress regarding the F-35 program is purely more POLITICS! Naturally, an aircraft that is supposed to do a dozen different jobs for each separate Arm of Service, can't be expected to do all these things safely, efficiently, and destructively for a mere pittance! Congress wants everything, including the impossible, but doesn't want to pay for it! In the words of Oskar Schindler, (Liam Neeson) in the movie "SCHINDLER'S LIST":

"Nice things cost money..."
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

195 is not Armata!

Wow... All those bolts... reminds me of an M3 Lee...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To all you guys out there who don't like "Wing-Things":

Be GLAD we have them...

"Wing-Things" have been tearing Armor to shreds since the beginning of World War II...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The value of the rub(b)le never seemed to get in the way of prodction numbers back in the good ole days of the CCCP

That's for sure! Since when has the Soviet and/or Russian Federation's hierarchy EVER cared if there is/was a new weapon to be produced, and their people were starving in the process of said weapon's development and production? A small, piddling thing like a national economy will ALWAYS get SECOND-PLACE, if there is a new "ARMATA" or a T-95 that needs to hit the streets...

Get mad at me for saying that, but we all know it's true; I CERTAINLY don't want to start a row with our fellow Russian modellers! I whole-heartedly respect and feel for the common Russian people who have had to endure all the misfortune and hardships that have ever befallen them... So, too do I feel for my fellow Ukrainians...

A thought: If and when the next-generation Russian tank goes into service, I wonder how long it will take for some enterprising model company to produce it in 1/35 scale..? Just look at all those MARVELOUS T-90s that we've been getting of late!

I'm also still waiting very patiently for the X-ACT (?) 1/35 Ukrainian T-84 "OPLOT" to hit the shelves!!!

SLAVA UKRAIINA!!!
AndreasBeck
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:16 PM UTC
http://gurkhan.blogspot.ru/
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

http://gurkhan.blogspot.ru/

Now THAT'S AN INTERESTING READ!!!
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Get mad at me for saying that, but we all know it's true; I CERTAINLY don't want to start a row with our fellow Russian modellers! I whole-heartedly respect and feel for the common Russian people who have had to endure all the misfortune and hardships that have ever befallen them... So, too do I feel for my fellow Ukrainians...

SLAVA UKRAIINA!!!

Yes, we are terribly hungry ... I'll go order a model from another Meng and then eat like ..

Do you at least know where this Ukraine? Maybe you have relatives live there?
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's for sure! Since when has the Soviet and/or Russian Federation's hierarchy EVER cared if there is/was a new weapon to be produced, and their people were starving in the process of said weapon's development and production? A small, piddling thing like a national economy will ALWAYS get SECOND-PLACE, if there is a new "ARMATA" or a T-95 that needs to hit the streets...

A thought: If and when the next-generation Russian tank goes into service, I wonder how long it will take for some enterprising model company to produce it in 1/35 scale..? Just look at all those MARVELOUS T-90s that we've been getting of late!

I'm also still waiting very patiently for the X-ACT (?) 1/35 Ukrainian T-84 "OPLOT" to hit the shelves!!!

SLAVA UKRAIINA!!!

There is no need to put politics into modelling. The whole situation is much more complex than what some people over the pond seem to think. I would rather if no one started ripping into our russian members, who most likely have nothing to do with this entire mess. They are very helpful and it would be a pity if this forum turned into a politically hostile place.
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:25 PM UTC
Found the second video to go with the heavy APC...

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:42 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

SLAVA UKRAIINA!!!

Yes, we are terribly hungry ... I'll go order a model from another Meng and then eat like ..

Do you at least know where this Ukraine? Maybe you have relatives live there?

Yes, I do have relatives in UKRAIINA. My Father was from Lviv- Lvov, as you know it... And YES, I realize that you are PROBABLY NOT starving right now, but how did your Parents, Grandparents and Great Grandparents do under, say, Tsar Nikolai, Lenin, STALIN, Khrushchev, Brezhniev, and some of those other worthies? Stalin alone was responsible for the deaths of MILLIONS of your fellow countrymen... And so was Hitler, THAT DEVIL!!! But PLEASE! I REALLY DID NOT MEAN for this conversation to become political. I love my country, but is it wrong to love the countries from where one's families originated? My Mother was German, by the way- She was from Schwennigen, not far from Augsburg...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

SLAVA UKRAIINA!!!

There is no need to put politics into modelling. The whole situation is much more complex than what some people over the pond seem to think. I would rather if no one started ripping into our russian members, who most likely have nothing to do with this entire mess. They are very helpful and it would be a pity if this forum turned into a politically hostile place.

If you read through my bit again, you'll see that I said that "I whole-heartedly respect and feel for the common Russian People" etc, and that "I don't want to start a row with our fellow Russian modellers"... And YES, our Russian friends make VERY IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTIONS to this site! To them, I say "THANK YOU!!!"
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:57 PM UTC
Let's get back to the topic.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to wonder how it would stand up to an A-10.

Back in October 1990 an A-10 IP shook my 15-year-held view of the A-10's gun; he told me the GAU-8/A could NOT penetrate the frontal or side armor of Soviet MBTs for a K-kill. However, 4,200 rpm (variable) would result in M-kills and F-kills; attacks from the rear and flank could penetrate the engine louvers and potentially result in an indirect K-kill.

A-10's main punch was the AGM-65 Maverick, which was found in Desert Storm to not destroy MBTs via the warhead, but actually kinetically, with the warhead just scattering the junk left over from a big honkin' supersonic missile hitting the tank!
AndreasBeck
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 03:02 AM UTC
Let´s sum up

There are two new tracked vehicles with the same hull/suspension (engine?) basis. The T-14 is a rather conventional (from the outlook) MBT while the T-15 is a rather heavy AFV/APC with heavy weaponry. The designations are preliminary. The basis is called Armata.

T-14 depicts rather conventional design features , engine in the back, turret in the middle and (?) driver in the front.The turret is covered under a canvas and it is pure speculation what is covered beneath it. Maybe a battle field radar (?). The gun can be the well proved 125mm device. It does not look like the awaited new 152mm. Maybe we will be surprised later.

T-15 is a product of design studies going well back into the late 80ies. The Armata basis is just "turned", now having the engine and drive wheels in the front, driver and gunner for the unmanned turret (?) in the middle and a personal compartment in the rear hull. The tank can be equipped with heavy lateral add on armor. The vehicle has a bigger appearance than Marder, Puma or Bradley.

The Armata basis might have a conventional supercharged Diesel engine. There are exhaust openings on (both?) sides, nearly in the same place where air inlets are found on Leo 2. Wirh bigger space between the first three road wheels the suspension somehow reminds to pre Leo 2 prototypes (Keiler). But it might be possible, the pictures are not clear enough, that Armata has hydro pneumatic suspension. The fuel tanks seem to be integrated into the armored hull structure, something new for soviet/russo MBT design. Looks like these tanks are hanging over at the rear.

As Gur Khan stated the design of low silhouettes seems to be over. This is the conclusion of ideas of the future battle field and its demands.

I thinks that´s it up to now.

Cheers

be
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:52 AM UTC
they want to retire the A-10 so they can buy the way over priced and over rated F-35 joint strike fighter
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

they want to retire the A-10 so they can buy the way over priced and over rated F-35 joint strike fighter

We are here with Russian tanks, does not prevent you discuss prehistoric plane?