Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Takom MK IV Hermaphrodite
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 06:33 PM UTC
Progress has been slow, Spring fever has hit and I've been spending more time outside. But, I've managed to get a little white paint on the interior.

I hadn't planned on adding so much interior detail when I started this build. It has complicated things quite a bit. Besides the fabrication, I have to try and not 'paint myself into a corner' assembly-wise. To figure out what needs to be painted before assembly, what can be assembled before painting, what has to be in position before something else can be added. How adding something might interfere with further assembly. What might be seen and needs to be added and what can be ignored because it won't be visible. Damn that AMS! Full speed ahead! Al
Tankerman
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:17 PM UTC
I have a Takom Male coming up for build soon and this article will be most helpful in its construction. Many thanks for exposing potential pitfalls and showing sensible deviations from the manufacturer's build instructions. The just enough detail added to the interior is inspiring! Thanks.A toast sir!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a Takom Male coming up for build soon and this article will be most helpful in its construction. Many thanks for exposing potential pitfalls and showing sensible deviations from the manufacturer's build instructions. The just enough detail added to the interior is inspiring! Thanks.A toast sir!

Glad I could help. This kit has been a pleasure. If it weren't for the one-piece track links it might have been quite a bit more tedious. I'd recommend picking up a set, if you haven't already. I 'll be looking forward to seeing your build. Cheers, Al
Tankerman
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 08:25 PM UTC
Al,

Yeah, I glommed three of those track sets as soon as they were available. What a world of difference! Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Take care
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 03:42 PM UTC
Slowly but steadily, the interior is starting to shape up. I was able to start adding some washes and the engine is mounted. I also added the seats to the driver's compartment.

I've tried taking pictures with the sides in place to show how restricted the viewing angle is but had no luck in getting a good photo. I am liking how it's turning out so far. IMHO,a big improvement over a 'black hole'. Al
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 06:07 PM UTC

I found some drawings and photos on-line showing the interior of a Mark IV and decided to add a few details that might be visible through the open flaps. The exhaust pipes leading from the roof-mounted muffler.

Al,

I'm building a Tamiya (male) version using Eduard interior PE and I'm intrigued about the exhaust pipes. I'd like to enhance my build and connect the center details with the three exhaust pipes you've added. Where did you find the photos? I think they'd help me a good deal. Great build, by the way.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 06:45 PM UTC
There are a few Mark IV interior pics on Flickr :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hansderegt/sets/72157629399246666/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deadman_2/sets/72157627782924609

H.P.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC
Al,

I'm building a Tamiya (male) version using Eduard interior PE and I'm intrigued about the exhaust pipes. I'd like to enhance my build and connect the center details with the three exhaust pipes you've added. Where did you find the photos? I think they'd help me a good deal. Great build, by the way. [Quoted text]

Hello, and Thanks, Karl. I just Googled British Mark IV Tank Interior, and a bunch of photos came up.

I just tried to envision what would be visible and recreate it as best as I could. I wasn't trying for every nut and bolt. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:19 PM UTC
Thanks for posting those links Henri, great pictures. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Great work, A bit late in the day but Haynes The Great War Taank Mark IV is a good reference for the interior and vehicle in general. You don't see much when the doors are open but it is one of those spaces that needs filled

AL
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC
Thanks, Al, and thanks to you, too, Henri. Judging from the photos of both the build and the actual tank, it looks like the Takom might lend itself a bit better to an attempt at an interior build. Al, the engine block you've recreated is phenomenal. I might have to give that a stab. This could take me years at the rate that I work!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:59 PM UTC
You don't see much when the doors are open but it is one of those spaces that needs filled [Quoted text]

Hi Alan, I agree. Though sometimes I long for them olden days, when it wouldn't have bothered me to look into a great, gaping chasm. The guns alone would have been enough. Life was sooo much simpler then. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 11:14 PM UTC
Since I don't figure on playing with this tank (until Meng's A7V comes out that is), I decided not to leave the guns moveable. I cemented the shields to the openings in the sponsons, rather than to the guns themselves. I'll mount the guns later on.

I feel this approach will simplify painting and assembly a little. I also began painting those lovely little guns.

As you can see, they are very well detailed, and paint up into little gems. It really would be a crime to bury them unseen. Thanks for looking, all comments and question are welcomed. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
A little more work on the guns, some brass details picked out.

Of course, I just couldn't resist test fitting them.

When you deviate from the suggested order of assembly you can run into problems. I had found that after cementing the shields into the sponsons, it would be difficult to slip the guns into place. The problem was the mounting pins on top of the pedestals. Then I had a 'Doh!' moment, I could just shorten those pins. Snip, snip, Voila! No more problem. One other note, in one of the photos of an actual tank, I noticed a round hole in the side of those pedestals. I was able to add them by using a pin vise, and going through the opening for the door in the rear of the sponson. I started with a small-sized bit and worked my way up. Luckily, my pin vise was able to accommodate a large enough bit for the final sized hole. I wouldn't have been able to do it with a larger power drill. It would have been a simple matter if i had noticed it before installing the pedestal. Hindsight is always 20-20. Al
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Though sometimes I long for them olden days, when it wouldn't have bothered me to look into a great, gaping chasm.

You mean, back when I would pop off the turret so I could store the figures in the empty "cargo hold" of the hull? Happy childhood days indeed!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Though sometimes I long for them olden days, when it wouldn't have bothered me to look into a great, gaping chasm.

You mean, back when I would pop off the turret so I could store the figures in the empty "cargo hold" of the hull? Happy childhood days indeed!

I don't know how many 'soldiers' are buried in my old backyard. How many wrecked tanks lie 'rusting' back there. A box of 50 Airfix HO figures could be had for half a buck, ROCO "Minitanks" were a quarter apiece. You could have a whole division for a couple of dollars. I'd like to have a dollar for every time that I tried to fix a broken axle on a Monogram Half-Track, Jeep, or 'Eager-Beaver', broken from being a tad too enthusiastic rolling across 'Normandy' or 'Guadalcanal', or 'Bastogne', all imagined after watching "Sands of Iwo Jima", or "Battleground", or any of the other "Pictures for a Sunday Afternoon" on the TV. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 04:02 AM UTC
I must apologize for such a long delay in posting an update. I haven't given up, but something arrived in the mail, and I did get just a wee bit distracted. I meant well, I swear. I was just going to open the box and look at the pieces. Then I figured that I would test fit the barrel. Before I knew it, the cement was out and I was "Down the Rabbit Hole"!
The distraction was the new Skoda 42cm Heavy Siege Howitzer, by Takom. A very nice kit and an easy build.

BTW, If you're Metrically challenged like most of us Yanks, 42cm is equal to 16 1/2 inches! That's a bigger bore than the guns on an Iowa class battleship!

I'm quite sure that we've all been side tracked from a project at one time or another. But I promise, I will return to the Mark IV (before the Whippet gets out, or the A7V, or who knows what other temptations those seducers may turn out). Al
pzandt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:06 AM UTC
Al:
You guns look great! what colors/brand did you use?
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Al:
You guns look great! what colors/brand did you use?

The six-pounders? Acrylic flat black base coat, and then Testor's 'Gun Metal' Metalizer, dry-brushed over it. I used their regular 'Steel' and 'Aluminum' enamels for the highlights and wear. The brass is an acrylic hobby paint that I get from the craft section of Michael's or Hobby Lobby. It's called "Emperor's Gold", from the 'Dazzling Metallics' line, by DecoArt. I mix it with a drop of acrylic black, to get the shade of brass that I want. You can also mix it with brown for variation. If you meant the Howitzer, then it's Testor's Panzer Gray, from a 'rattle-can'. With various other acrylic dark grays applied for variation, shadows, and highlights. Testors 'Titanium' Metalizer, and the previously mentioned Steel and Aluminum enamels, for the breech, the muzzle, and any wear and tear. Hope that helps and Thanks for the compliment, and I'd be glad to answer any questions if I can. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 05:11 PM UTC
Excellent work Al.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Al.

Alan

Thanks, Alan
pzandt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:11 AM UTC
Thanks, Al. I'm following your build with interest as I have both the male and female Mark IVs and like what you're doing so far. Keep up the good work.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC
You're welcome Pascal, and thanks for the kind words. I will definitely be getting back to work on it soon. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I must apologize for such a long delay in posting an update. I haven't given up, but something arrived in the mail, and I did get just a wee bit distracted. I meant well, I swear. I was just going to open the box and look at the pieces. Then I figured that I would test fit the barrel. Before I knew it, the cement was out and I was "Down the Rabbit Hole"!
The distraction was the new Skoda 42cm Heavy Siege Howitzer, by Takom. A very nice kit and an easy build.

BTW, If you're Metrically challenged like most of us Yanks, 42cm is equal to 16 1/2 inches! That's a bigger bore than the guns on an Iowa class battleship!

I'm quite sure that we've all been side tracked from a project at one time or another. But I promise, I will return to the Mark IV (before the Whippet gets out, or the A7V, or who knows what other temptations those seducers may turn out). Al

Hard to beat the heavy hitters Al Nice work.

Alan
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:23 PM UTC
Great work on both pieces there, Al.