Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Takom MK IV Hermaphrodite
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:47 PM UTC
It has been quite a while since my last post. Between the arrival of our 1st grandson, the Holidays, and the myriad of things that seem to conspire to keep one away from the workbench, I hadn't been able to accomplish much of anything. I had received my PE barbed wire by Aber and I finally got a chance to add it to the base. The posts were made from pieces of scrap sprue. I scraped them with a razor saw to add a wood grain texture.

After seeing a photo of a battlefield that had a boardwalk spanning the stretches of mud, I decided to add one to the corner of my base.

It gave me a chance to experiment with figure placement.

The two standing on the boardwalk are pinned in their final position, but only temporarily. Still undecided about exactly where to place the sitting figure, or the guy standing on top of the tank.

I'm posting this last photo just because I like the way it came out.

Thanks for looking. I hope to get more time at the bench in the near future, paint the figures, and finish this project up. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:19 PM UTC
Still plugging away slowly, but making some progress. The first crew figure has been painted and mounted in place.

He comes from a company called Stalingrad. He did need a little clean-up and there were a couple of pin-holes, but all in all, a nicely done figure. I also added a couple of more strands of PE barbed wire sticking out of the mud here and there. Unfortunately, the wire is so fine that it doesn't show up well in photos. I'll keep posting as more figures are added. As always comments and questions are welcomed. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hello again, long time between updates. I thought being retired would give me more time at the bench. And it did, for a while. However, now that my wife has been home, mending from surgery, well, you can guess the rest. Can't lay all the blame at her door though, life just keeps getting in the way. Eventually, I did manage to find the time to add the second figure to the base.

He is another one of the fine figures from Stalingrad. I later realized that I had inadvertently re-positioned his left arm. It was supposed to be behind the case hanging from his shoulder. I replaced the cane with a piece of brass wire. I didn't think the resin one would have survived for long. It was easy to do. Two more figures and I can call this done. Maybe. I ordered a set of WW1 German Weapons and Equipment made by ICM. So, I might be adding some abandoned items sticking out of the mud, here or there. Thanks for looking. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 03:10 AM UTC
The third man.

After he was pinned into place, I built up the mud around his boots using the Liquitex Resin Sand Effects Texture Gel. I mixed a dark brown acrylic paint into the gel for color. I also used Mig's 'Fresh Mud' Nature Effects to stain the bottoms of his pants legs. Thanks for looking. Al
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Al, not taking away from your fun, but as this is supposed to be done as a review of the kit, shouldn't it cover just what is in the box? Whether the tank really existed or not is irrelevant.

If I'd bought a kit or was considering buying one and was not that familiar with the subject,I'd appreciate someone telling me if the kit represents a real vehicle or not.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al, not taking away from your fun, but as this is supposed to be done as a review of the kit, shouldn't it cover just what is in the box? Whether the tank really existed or not is irrelevant.

If I'd bought a kit or was considering buying one and was not that familiar with the subject,I'd appreciate someone telling me if the kit represents a real vehicle or not.

My understanding is that some Mk.V's were completed as 'Composites', or 'Hermaphrodites' as they were also known, but not the Mk.IV. Since this kit included almost all of the parts necessary to build a Male, Female, or Hermaphrodite, I decided to build a Male. As noted, the only part missing from the kit needed to do this, was one of the metal barrels for the two six-pounders. I wrote to Takom, and for a modest fee, they sent me two. I think Takom would have been better served by marketing this kit as a '3-in-1', like they have since done with their Mk.V. Obviously, there are modelers who will build what appeals to them, whether real or not. Witness the popularity of the 'Paper Panzers' or 'What-If's'. More power to them, I feel everyone should build what they like. I don't feel that I've strayed from the purpose of this review, just showed the other options available to anyone who is thinking of buying this kit. Options not mentioned on the box. I am actually considering buying another one and building it as a Female. Which, as a bonus, would leave me with two very nice six-pounders for a 'Steampunk' type project that I have in the back of my mind. Or, I might go with the 3-in1 Mk.V instead. Al
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 04:58 PM UTC
Nice build! The figures are outstanding!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 05:25 PM UTC
Thanks, Joe. Much appreciated. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hello again, the fourth man has finally been added to the scene. I had lost the hands belonging to him. Alexander, from Stalingrad, the manufacturer, was kind enough to send me a replacement. I can't thank him enough for his consideration.

I have decided to add one more figure to the scene, in the right rear corner, a standing infantryman. I'm going to use one from a Masterbox set, "British Infantry Somme Battle Period, 1916" (MB35146). Haven't quite made up my mind which one though. Will post again when I've made some more progress. Thanks for looking. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 10:53 PM UTC
Last man standing, at least temporarily. The Masterbox Lewis Gunner has been assembled. A little putty was needed, and I had to re-position his left arm up a bit. I've replaced his head with one from Hornet.

This where he will be positioned, after painting.

Unlike a lot of diorama builders, I don't usually start out with a complete plan, just a vague idea of what I want it to look like. It kind of develops and grows as I go along. Sometimes, I'll see a spot where it needs something added to improve the composition. That's the case with this guy. I think of it as 'Modeling Feng Shui'. I'll post more pics when he's painted and mounted in place. Thanks for looking. Al
Wolverine2
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 11:03 PM UTC
This kit is on my definite "must get" and your build has been fantastic, love how it is coming together.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This kit is on my definite "must get" and your build has been fantastic, love how it is coming together.

Thanks Carlos, the kit goes together very well. Just be aware of the tracks, they are delicate. As mentioned, they're easy to assemble, but require careful handling afterwards. Al
Wolverine2
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Carlos, the kit goes together very well. Just be aware of the tracks, they are delicate. As mentioned, they're easy to assemble, but require careful handling afterwards. Al

You bet! I've seen that about the tracks in other build-up articles. Takom does have a set of link & length tracks for this kit too, I think they are about $14 bucks or so. I wonder why they don't include them with the kit...
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 01:26 AM UTC
Takom does have a set of link & length tracks for this kit too, I think they are about $14 bucks or so. I wonder why they don't include them with the kit...[Quoted]

The tracks in the original Male and Female kits were multi-piece individual links, which many modelers (myself included) thought were too much trouble to assemble. Takom listened, and the Hermaphrodite kit comes with one piece individual links to assemble the tracks. They released these as a separate item, which are what you may be thinking of. Two pins on each link snap into two 'loops' on the next link. These loops are fragile and can break after the track is assembled if not handled carefully. Try not to stress them after mounting the tracks on the tank. I did and broke one track and then the other. Luckily they were easily repaired with the use of super-glue. I would strongly recommend mounting the finished model on a base to reduce the risk of damaging the tracks. Al
Wolverine2
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Takom does have a set of link & length tracks for this kit too, I think they are about $14 bucks or so. I wonder why they don't include them with the kit...[Quoted]

The tracks in the original Male and Female kits were multi-piece individual links, which many modelers (myself included) thought were too much trouble to assemble. Takom listened, and the Hermaphrodite kit comes with one piece individual links to assemble the tracks. They released these as a separate item, which are what you may be thinking of. Two pins on each link snap into two 'loops' on the next link. These loops are fragile and can break after the track is assembled if not handled carefully. Try not to stress them after mounting the tracks on the tank. I did and broke one track and then the other. Luckily they were easily repaired with the use of super-glue. I would strongly recommend mounting the finished model on a base to reduce the risk of damaging the tracks. Al

Okay, I see. So when I watch videos of people driving their Takom Mk IVs across the workbench it probably isn't advised.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 05:20 AM UTC
Okay, I see. So when I watch videos of people driving their Takom Mk IVs across the workbench it probably isn't advised. [Quoted]

Might have been the Tamiya Mk.IV, it's motorized, like their Char B1bis.

" TARGET="_blank">

Built this one a while ago as a review for this site. It does draw attention at shows. I refer to it as my Energizer Bunny. Al
Wolverine2
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC
That is a pretty cool way to display it.

No, I saw a video on Youtube of somebody who built a Mk. IV and was pushing across his desk. It could have been the Meng kit.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
A small update, a very, very, very small update. I planned on adding a German Stahlhelm in the mud. This one is from the very nice German WW1 equipment set from ICM.

I'm quite happy with the way the camo pattern turned out. I had seen a post on this site about a set of skulls and bones from Drakkar Models of France. I immediately ordered a set and modified the plan a bit. They arrived and are very nicely sculpted and molded.

I made a small hole in the front corner of the base, and placed it into position. Then applied my mud mixture to blend it in. Now, I'm waiting for the 'mud' to dry. I'll post a few more pictures when it's done. Also got a coat of primer on the 'last man standing' and hope to get him painted and in place as soon as possible. Thanks for looking, all questions and/or comments are welcomed. Al
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:29 PM UTC
Beautiful build, Al, from all aspects! If you entered this in a contest somewhere and didn't win something, I would be absolutely stunned! One question, what version of "brown" did you use for the base color of the tank and from which manufacturer? I've reread the entire thread and don't see it anywhere. Thanks in advance, Tom
Wolverine2
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
Great little detail.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC
One question, what version of "brown" did you use for the base color of the tank [Quoted]

Thanks Tom, for the kind words. I used ModelMaster Field Drab (FS30118) for the base. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great little detail.

Thanks Carlos, From what I've read, it seems like the decayed remains of casualties were an all too common sight on the battlefields of the First World War. Al
Wolverine2
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 12:33 AM UTC
You're very welcome. Yes living with human remains was a normal occurrence on the Western Front. I just finished reading Peter Hart's "The Great War". People would be ground up by artillery, maybe buried if there was a chance, maybe not. But the ground would constantly be dug up by the incessant artillery. Soldiers filling sandbags would end up finding bits of their comrades... You should check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast called "Blueprint for Armageddon" all about WWI, it is free.

pzandt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:03 AM UTC
Al:
What a beautiful build. Congratulations on a piece that you'll be proud to show off.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thanks Carlos, I'll check it out for sure. I'm currently reading "Eye-Deep in Hell" by John Ellis. Al