Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Campaign 500+
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 11:28 AM UTC
Shaping up nicely, Paul!

I finally took some more images of my build. here is one of the subassemblies:

I decided to add some more color to it and painted some of the parts (Russian) green. Although, on a second thought some of these might be black on the original...

Feedback is more than welcome!

Thanks!
Cristian
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hello all,

I just popped in, and see the campaign already running... so we can start building now? (Apologies for the silly question.)

I have a Trumpeter 1K17 kit to be built; it's about 1000parts, so should qualify. (The tracks alone are horrendous: the individual guide teeth need to be glued one by one onto the track links.)

I'm reviewing this kit for Armorama, so there'll be some in-progress photos after the weekend.
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 06:13 PM UTC
Cristian,
Looks very good. I like using contrasting colors. Little touches like that add visual interest which is always a challenge building large and complex assemblies. You want to pull people in to see there is more to the piece than just "that's big" or I "bet that has a lot of pieces".

Just my 2 cents...

Paul H
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 07:47 PM UTC
@Andras: Yes, you can start building already although we haven't yet reached the official start date. Russian metal builds are always something I'm watching attentively

@Paul: You are right! I just find it kind of difficult to decide which pieces are going to have a different color to keep this both realistic compared to the real vehicle but also keep the model balanced.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:24 PM UTC
Cristian,
My methods for deciding what gets the color variation is this; if it's basic structure, I only do it if there would be a valid reason for that item to be replaced, i.e. the vehicle was damaged and repaired and this is visible in the rest of the finish. If it is an item that can be used interchangeably, i.e. fuel cans, ejectable fuel tanks, crates etc, then I try to vary the color while still staying within the realm of possibility. In my experience, items operated by large militaries usually have less variance than those operated by small or segmented militaries. That's definately not a hard and fast rule, just an observation.

Paul
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:37 PM UTC
That makes sense, Paul! While sometimes applying your logic, I approach this slightly differently, specially with soviet/Russian subjects. Is there a reason why a certain element should get a different color than it has on the vehicles produced in the largest number (usually, those for the soviet army, for instance) then paint it in the specific color, otherwise keep the "other" color. But as you said, it's not always "black or white".
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cristian,
My methods for deciding what gets the color variation is this; if it's basic structure, I only do it if there would be a valid reason for that item to be replaced, i.e. the vehicle was damaged and repaired and this is visible in the rest of the finish. If it is an item that can be used interchangeably, i.e. fuel cans, ejectable fuel tanks, crates etc, then I try to vary the color while still staying within the realm of possibility. In my experience, items operated by large militaries usually have less variance than those operated by small or segmented militaries. That's definately not a hard and fast rule, just an observation.

Paul

Keeping in mind that much of what we do as modelers is art, I am a proponent of artistic license so long as it does not stretch the limits of possibility too far. Since most of the subjects we model are rather drab, anything that adds visual interest and catches the eye, in my opinion, is a usually a plus. Making a subject visually interesting is one of the more interesting challenges we face. Hence, we add stowage, not only because it may be realistic, but because it adds to the visual interest. And while the majority of our subjects are dull colored(olive drab, Russian green, etc.)how often will you see a brightly colored bicycle(or some other object)in the midst of drab colored stowage.

Sorry if this is far topic but the historical accuracy/realism vs. artistic element is one of my modelling peeves.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Andras: Yes, you can start building already although we haven't yet reached the official start date. Russian metal builds are always something I'm watching attentively

Thank you Will get on it as soon as dinner over.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:55 AM UTC
@dvsand: I'm so with you on this!

@Andras: Harom szinu alcazas lesz? Kulonosnek biztos kulonos egy makett.
ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:51 PM UTC
Well, finally able to get cracking on this campaign after multiple trips overseas. I recently did an in-box review of Dragons Marder II 'Early' and am doing a build story on it, so I thought I would incorporate it into this campaign as well along with my original entry:

So I'll be doing the first and last of Dragon's Marder offerings. the biggest difficulty will be not mixing up the parts as so many are identical! As usual first step is the lower hull and suspension:

These steps are pretty much identical for both kits, with the only difference being the suspension stops on the hull. Assembled all the 2-piece road wheels as well and then roughed them up a bit to show wear.

Now do I go back to each one and try to make the 'U' in 'Continentau' at least resemble an 'L'?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
Looks nice, Colin! Are you going with the box art camo scheme on the early version?
As for the wheels, I would personally go over each and correct it. But that's just me
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 05:02 PM UTC
Some more progress on the Scud launcher. The driver and crew cabins are ready with primary weathering. The final weathering is still to be done but it'll have to wait until everything is put together. The headlight lenses will also only be assembled once everything is (almost) ready.

Some of the PE parts are really tiny. The part in the middle is assembled from three parts:

ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks nice, Colin! Are you going with the box art camo scheme on the early version?
As for the wheels, I would personally go over each and correct it. But that's just me

Thanks Cristian. Yes, I was planning on following the box art camo for a Sicilian Marder on the early version, something different. Haven't decided on the other one yet. Scud launcher is coming along very nicely! I know what you mean about the tiny PE, same thing with the Marder, the tool clasps are driving me to drink.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC
@ Colin, if you decide you must fix the "u" issue, stretched sprue will do the trick. You can shape the Zeus to the appropriate cross section before stretching, and then pull to the appropriate thickness. Not terribly fun, it is possible.

@Cristian. Your project is coming along very well! Lovely work and I can hardly wait to see the next step!

Cheers,
Paul H
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Colin, if you decide you must fix the "u" issue, stretched sprue will do the trick. You can shape the Zeus to the appropriate cross section before stretching, and then pull to the appropriate thickness. Not terribly fun, it is possible.

I was actually thinking about scratching away half of the 'U'. I think it should do in this scale...
ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was actually thinking about scratching away half of the 'U'. I think it should do in this scale...

Tha's more along the lines of what I was thinking lol.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 06:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Andras: Harom szinu alcazas lesz? Kulonosnek biztos kulonos egy makett.

Not sure yet (the question was about it having the three color camo scheme). The only example still in existence is a three-toned tank, but I like the overall green better. It's more traditional (And there's one b&w photo of a green vehicle...)
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 12:35 AM UTC
We have the first of December, the campaign is now also "officially" started. Yay!!!

I guess the campaign gallery will also be created within the next days.

Have fun everyone!

Cheers,
Cristian
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC
Campaign Gallery HERE !!!!!!

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/30156
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 07:47 AM UTC
I might be in with Zvezda's Panther ausf D (#3678). It's listed on the box as having 698 parts, of which 392 are for the tracks. It'll probably be after the New Year before I start. I have to get caught up on some other stuff first.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thank you, John for the gallery!

Alex, that sounds like a nice build. Will be following this with interest.
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 02:03 AM UTC
I haven't done this before. Does one just add pictures to the gallery, like here in the forum?
ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't done this before. Does one just add pictures to the gallery, like here in the forum?

You post progress pics here in the forum and a few pics of the completed model in the gallery when done.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:50 AM UTC
My project for the evening...

Cheers,
Paul H

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:50 AM UTC
The soldering guru strikes again! That's a crazy job, Paul! And so cleanly done!!!

@Dave: Does Colin's reply answer your question? (Thanks Colin!) In case you need further details, please feel free to ask for more! Your participation in the campaign shouldn't fail on this technical detail