Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Campaign 500+
bm4247
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:01 PM UTC
Cristian,

you were correct of course. I had been moving stuff around on photobucket and forgot it would screw up my original posting.
Corrected now.

Thank you.
Brian
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC
Looks all good now. Thank you, Brian!

Any clue on how large this would be? Certainly looks like a somewhat bigger model.
bm4247
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 08:24 PM UTC
Cristian. I took some photographs of the hull and used a normal 330ml can to give a size comparison for you.

Here are the images for your perusal.

Hope this gives you an idea of size? I can always measure it if you need.

Brian
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi all,

I am going to join this campaign with MiniArt's Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.B

According to the box 1127 parts,so it qualifies!

Nate
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
@Brian: Thanks for showing us the images. Looks large indeed. Definitely something different!

@Nate: Welcome aboard! 1127 pieces on that vehicle!!! I guess the track links are 2-3 piece each then... Crazy!

I managed to get some work done on the missile over the past few days. Here are some images with the pre-shaded body and a first coat of paint:

One things I noticed regarding this is that decals are probably wrong for the Iraqi version as these missiles are white just like the decals plus I doubt the text was Russian on them as I think the production was done in Iraq...

Opinions are as always more than welcome!
Thanks!
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
Cristian - The tracks are modelkasten style, individual links with track pins, thankfully the guides are molded on the links. The suspension adds to the part count as well, it is far more complex than the later Panzer IIIs.

Btw, the SCUD looks awesome.

Nate
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:53 AM UTC
In my M-ATV build I said I would not buy another Panda kit. Well that promise didn't last long. I just ordered their Tunguska kit. 1,200 parts on one review, 960 on another. Will be a few weeks before I can start though

This is what it should look like when complete:

It'll go nicely with the Shilka, SAM-6 (if I ever finish it) & SAM-2. I seem to like things that shoot down those pesky wingy-thingys
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:47 AM UTC
Is there still a chance to join? I think I have a couple of kits that fit the criterion of 500+ parts.. one of them is MENG's Bradley w/interior.. this might be what I need to make me get it out and start working on it. I'll check my closets for other kits that might fit the bill also.

Anyone know if MENG's Cougar 6x6 has enough parts?

Hisham
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 12:33 PM UTC
@Nathan: Thanks for the kind words and the extra information! Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

@Sean: I have that on my to-be-built list myself but I was being turned down by the apparent quality. I'll follow this with interest, nonetheless!

@Hisham: Glad to have you join! Since the campaign is running until October, I don't think it is too late. As for the Cougar, I was not able to find any information on the part count but looking at the sprues I think it should be well above the threshold.
Manxman
Visit this Community
Cavan, Ireland
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:36 PM UTC
Here is my entry for this campaign (my first) as finally started it for another Group Build on a separate forum.

Untitled by Manxman, on Flickr

What is should look like when finished

Net reference material by Manxman, on Flickr

Started on the tracks

Terminator WiP Tracks by Manxman, on Flickr

Along time later and we have this

Also got together the wheel and the chassis (which still needs a bit of clean up)

Terminator WiP Chassis and Wheels by Manxman, on Flickr

Terminator WiP Chassis and Wheels by Manxman, on Flickr
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:51 PM UTC
Looks great, Peter! Welcome aboard!
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:57 PM UTC
Hi Hisham, good to see you in this one too! And you too Pete! All the old faces

Quoted Text

@Sean: I have that on my to-be-built list myself but I was being turned down by the apparent quality. I'll follow this with interest, nonetheless!

Christian, I am finding their M-ATV challenging. Not impossible, just very time consuming and hard to stay focused. However when I saw this at a reasonable price and the reviews are not too bad I just couldn't resist I may aff the Fruil tracks. Had looked at the Voyager PE set but probably won't bother with it.... It will be the end of the month before I actually start building.
Manxman
Visit this Community
Cavan, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:08 PM UTC
Thanks Christian and Sean,

I've been following everyone's build silently until now as been fairly busy with other stuff, but amazed with what I've seen so far and looking forward to seeing them progress.

Hisham, I'm just in the middle of doing the Meng cougar in HEV form I'll see if I can get a part count for you later.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hey, guys.. I chose these four kits from my stash to pick one from.. but MENG don't say what the part count is on their boxes or in their instructions!

MENG - Bradley
MENG - Cougar 6x6
MENG - D9R Dozer
Trumpeter - M1129 Stryker, mortar carrier with interior - box says 820+ parts

I'll pick one of these four to work on, but I need to verify the parts count of the MENG kits.

Cheers
Hisham
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:13 PM UTC
From a review on Missing Lynx of the D9r Hisham:

"366 parts in dark yellow plastic, 270 parts in black plastic, 18 parts in clear 18 parts in tinted clear blue, a set of polythene caps and one length of flexible vinyl tube."

For the Bradley with Busk and included interior
"632 parts in tan, pale green and dark grey plastic parts; an additional 188 individual track links in black plastic; 32 clear parts; 10 green tinted parts; eight metal tubes; eight flexible plastic parts; three photo-etched frets, 20 polythene caps and a decal sheet with markings for three vehicles."

Can't find a parts count for the Cougar....sorry
Manxman
Visit this Community
Cavan, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC
Hisham, I've built the Meng Bradley M2A3 and I can confirm it over 632 parts of plastic and that doesn't include the PE, metal tubes, rubber parts etc. And it's a lovely kit too. The cougar sadly I believe is under 500 parts even with the two option pieces.

If you'd like to see those two they can be found here

Bradley
Cougar

And can't comment on the other two
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:48 PM UTC
Thanks for that info, Sean and Peter.

So, I'll rule out the Cougar and choose between the other three... I've been itching to build the Dozer (also to make room for the new one with the bar armour.. God, this addiction!!) so this might be the push I need

I already have all these kits, it's just that MENG don't mention anything about the number of parts, whether on the box or in the instructions.

Hisham
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
I decided to go with the Dozer.. hope you can see the date for proof

Do we post progress pics here, or did you set up a thread for that?

Hisham
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:15 PM UTC
Please post your progress pics here and of course the final image to the gallery.

An excellent choice, by the way
Manxman
Visit this Community
Cavan, Ireland
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:38 PM UTC
Nice choice Hisham, I do love Meng kits even though the D9R never really been one of theirs I'd chose so will watch yours with interest.

Another good session at the bench last night, if I can keep this progress up I’ll be doing great and might get it complete within the 3 months.

A first and second coat of Russian Green added to the chassis. It will need at least another one coat before it finished.

Terminator WiP by Manxman, on Flickr

In-between the coats, work began on the upper hull adding various light parts, engine exhaust, front fenders glacia plate and drivers hatch.

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC
While I work on moving my paint booth into the house from the garage room I plan to start a second build for this campaign. I have two applicable kits readily at hand:
Dragon T-28 Super Heavy Tank which I acquired from at a going out of business sell: or,
Takom MkV Heavy Tank I bought at a model show last Saturday:

I think I will build the MkV as it is one of two versions, along with the MKV* used by the American 301st Heavy Tank Battalion in WW1. The US Army did not use the MkIV in combat.
I will have to create my own markings, just vehicle number, as the Takom kit has decals for British and Russian MkVs only. Company C, 301st Tanks used male and composite MkVs in their first engagement. The other two companies used primarily the MKV*. The Takom kit allows the construction of the male, female or composite (also called Hermaphridite, versions.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:26 AM UTC
Well, I've made a start on the first one. My latest dio project requires a few sdkfz 251/7's as I'm having a pioneer platoon (not full) in a Normandy dio I've got planned. This is the straightforward 3 in 1 DML 6223 pioneer halftrack. While it's a really nice kit I'd forgotten how vague DML's instructions are. Initially I put the storage box too far forward so had to take it off and reglue it. I'd also intended to do this one as the command vehicle but missed the bit where I'm supposed to leave out the left rear bench seat. Doh! Therefore I think this one will be a straightforward track. I've got a few more to build up so I'll use the applicable bits in those ones and save the options for them. I didn't use the kit decals for the dashboard but used Archers ones instead as they looked better. Unfortunately they kept dropping off the sheet so I had to put them in place with the tip of an 11 blade lol. Still it worked. Out of curiosity how do I start a thread for the build of the platoon as before when I've tried starting a thread it doesn't show up?

Next stage is the tracks which I'm dreading. The ones on the sprues have knock out pins on (there were hundreds when I started cleaning the sprues up before I started) but they're slightly different tracks to the EZ tracks supplied according to the PMMS review. I think I may start another chassis and then just have a whole day building and painting tracks.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC
One thing that is really nice about this kit is the amount of stores for it. All sorts of mines, mine boxes including S mine cases, demo charges (which I've cut the handles off the 10 kg ones and replaced with wire) and other assorted bits and bobs. As a bit of a bonus I've had to increase my knowledge of German mines etc while looking for the right colours and to identify what was what as DML only gives you a vague clue in the list on the side of the box. You also get a box of the early war Sturmpioneers 6024 to go with it but I'm not using them as I'm building it as an SS one. Having said that I'll probably chuck the mine detector in the back of one. Excellent value when you thnk about it.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:31 AM UTC
@Peter: Shaping up nicely! More, more, more!

@Jeff: Glad to see you started your build for this campaign! I'd sure be interested in your approach of printing the decals so if you don't mind posting some details about it, that'd be great to read. Thanks!

@Karl: Looking great so far! You seem to have a lot of progress on it already.

As for starting a thread you navigate to Forums > Armor/AFV (for instance) and click the New Topic button. You can also check the Blog checkbox on the thread creation page. The new thread shall appear immediately after you press the Yes (i.e. submit) button. In rare cases it might take a minute or so for it to refresh but this shouldn't happen too often.

I hope this helps!

erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 01:05 PM UTC
Hi Cristian, many thanks for that. These days I can spend as much time as I like modelling as I had to give up work about 11 years ago due to ill health. About the only time I'm not having a dabble is when I'm in hospital (infrequently these days thankfully) and that's only because I wouldn't be able to talk anyone into bringing my stuff in lol. Mind you having said that the tables on hospital beds aren't big enough to work on.

I always like to paint internal parts before I put them together as I find it a lot easier rather than airbrush it when completed then try to paint inside. I've never understood why/how people can do it when the kits completed. Still I suppose it's how people feel most comfortable. Inevitably I make a mistake somewhere so at least this way I can correct it easily enough. I'd have taken the bench seats out but I've got another four to build so no panic. I've got quite a stash of halftracks at the moment as I've gots five 251's (C+D versions) and two 250's and I'm bidding on a couple more on ebay. I get quite faddish with builds but I find it helpful as I get used to the kits.

Thanks for the heads up on creating a thread. I'll try that in a bit.