Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Campaign 500+
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Jeff: Glad to see you started your build for this campaign! I'd sure be interested in your approach of printing the decals so if you don't mind posting some details about it, that'd be great to read. Thanks!

Cristian,

This is my second build. I finished the Takom MkIV first and it is waiting paint, etc. I will paint the MkIV and MkV at same time as they are same brown color.

I will not have to make my own decals. I looked at the kit decals and found that I can rearrange the numbers to get what I need.

Jeff
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:17 PM UTC
Peter,

You are a real glutton for punishment with the multiple-part tracks. Too bad Meng couldn't figure out way to use less parts. Looks like you are persevering and making progress.

Luckily I purchased my MkIV kit after it had been on the market for a while and Takom listened to modelers and released single piece track blocks

Jeff
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:30 PM UTC
I just received Tiger-Model's Nagmachon this morning and was hoping to work on it... does anyone know if it has more than 500 parts or not.. it doesn't say.

Hisham
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hisham,

From the sprue pics I can see, I would put it in the range of 550 parts, so it should qualify. As a comparison, the Hobby Boss kit has 870+ parts according to Hobby Search.

Very eager to see one built.

Nate
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:03 AM UTC
Thanks, Nathan.. if the HobbyBoss kit has over 870, even if the Tiger-Model is less by.. say 300 parts, that still puts it over 500. Anyway, I'll wait to see what Cristian has to say.. if he approves it, I'll start on it.. if not, I'll stay with the Dozer

Hisham
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC
@Jeff: Sorry for missing that! I seem to be worse then I thought on recalling names

@Hisham: Your Nagmachon should be fine. Not directly my area of interest but an impressive model nonetheless! Show us more of it!
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:28 PM UTC
Well I'm coming into this with a Dragon Panzer IV Ausf.H. According to a Missing-Lynx review,984 parts (691 in grey styrene, 216 “Magic Track” single links, 51 etched brass, 15 clear styrene, 10 etched nickel, 1 twisted steel wire). Lots of extra parts, but lots of tiny bits to work with on the actual build. Probably the highest part count I've built to date. Looking forward to this one.

This is where I'm currently at. Some more work on the running gear and rear before I move up to the top hull. And why not have twice the fun?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:56 PM UTC
Glad to see you start this, Comrade!

I would have never thought a Pz. IV kit can have that may parts... Just out of curiosity, what are the etched nickel parts for? I never encountered this material before in a model kit.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:07 PM UTC
Glad you approved it, Cristian, thanks. Here are a couple of quick pics of the sprues and a couple of pages from the instructions.

Hisham
Manxman
Visit this Community
Cavan, Ireland
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:40 PM UTC
Jeff, I actually like doing the individual parts gives a great working detailed track I think and helps get the build into the campaign as track parts equalled 648 without the optional rubber pad pieces. Looking forward to seeing the work on the Takom Mk V.

Hisham was looking forward to the dozer but very interested to see how the tiger model goes together.

Bit more progress on Terminator

Only dry fitted to the chassis as still loads to add before putting the two halves together.

Terminator WiP by Manxman, on Flickr

I am just hoping building it complete like this before painting will pay off, but only time will tell.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:53 PM UTC
Comrade MP, are you building two at the same time? Maniac lol! I wish you the best of luck with that my friend, building one at a time is complicated enough with that many parts although I can see the logic in it. Somewhere
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad to see you start this, Comrade!

I would have never thought a Pz. IV kit can have that may parts... Just out of curiosity, what are the etched nickel parts for? I never encountered this material before in a model kit.

Thanks. The etched nickel parts are for the shurtzen.

Quoted Text

Comrade MP, are you building two at the same time? Maniac lol! I wish you the best of luck with that my friend, building one at a time is complicated enough with that many parts although I can see the logic in it. Somewhere

Thanks. Well after having a go with four KV's in the unfinished business campaign,I thought why not? Also, I have a Pz.IV ausf.J that I started sometime ago that's mostly done. Might have to finish that one too, have myself triplets.
champy
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi guys was looking for a reason to start this one and this campaign seems a great idea. Hopefully this is OK. Online it listed over 500 parts without the tracks and am barrels!

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:04 AM UTC
Nice one, Champy! This kit apparently has around 760 parts.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
Peter,

Good work on the screens on rear deck. They can be flimsy and bend easily.

Jeff
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:31 PM UTC
Champy, I have the OLD Emhar version of this vehicle , so I am interested in how your build of the Meng kit progresses. May have to see if some collector is interested in the Emhar kit and obtain a newer kit.

Jeff
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:56 PM UTC
I have completed my Takom Mk V Composite build minus paint and tracks. The tracks are easy to remove and replace for painting. An advantage of the tracks wrapping around the outside, inside of under fenders
Below are comparison of the Mk IV (tan plastic) and Mk V (gray plastic).
The major changes were in mostly inside:
1. new dedicated six-cylinder engine of 150 HP, versus old truck engine of 125 HP.
2. New dedicated epicylic tranny that required only a single driver instead of previous models with two drivers and two steersmen.
3. Armor increased from 1/4" to 1/2".
4. Machine gun added to rear panel and enlarged crew station in middle of roof, improving all-around vision.
To build the Company C, 301st Tank Battalion (AEF) vehicle I want to add trench crossing crib, as all 15 Co. C vehicles carried them in the first engagement in September 1918. The cribs were manufactored to replace the fascines used previously. The cribs were easier to make and lighter than the fascines. Fascines were made of smaller bundles of sticks bound togther to form a larger bundle.
Once I can get good dimensions I will make the frame from wood with plastic rod and maybe metal wire for supports.

Jeff
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC
They're looking really impressive Jeff. It makes me smile the fact that for years and years people have been asking for decent WW1 tanks and the manufacturers have ignored the customers wishes. Now that they've finally decided to release some to cash in on the 100th anniversary I would imagine that they're very shocked at just how many they're selling. I started one of the old Emhar ones years ago and it was that bad a kit I gave up. Seeing builds like your makes me want to pick one of the new ones up. Looking forward to seeing these painted up.
champy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:48 PM UTC
Made a bit of progress, lots of wheels! this kit is looking really good and is going along at a nice pace.

Jeff it is a very detailed kit and I would say it is a vast improvement over the older kits of the A7V
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Karl, Champy,

Just glad I never acquired Emhar Mk V. I have their Whippet kit with a PE set. I think I will build that instead procuring one of the new kits.

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:44 PM UTC
Great progress, Jeff, Champy! Looking very nice!

I also had a bit of a progress on the Scud missile and support. Some chipping has been done on the carrier frame and the missile received the decals and some panel lining.

JonDicks
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 12:45 PM UTC
Starting my M1A2 SEP V2.

Made some progress on the hull this weekend
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 02:49 PM UTC
I've come across the usual DML one step forward two steps back due to their vague instructions. The rifles supplied in the kit are underscale compared to the their figure set Kar 98's so I painted upa few of the properly sized ones and put them in the rifle rack. On putting the rifle rack in it doesn't fit! It's too deep and pushes the stowage box away from the hull wall so I took it out and decided to dispense with them completely and just put stores in the boxes. Did that and it looked pretty good. Then I did a dry run putting the top onto the hull sides. It won't fit if the stores are even slightly ove r the top of the bin so I've had to take everything out again

I had to remove the storage box I'd used instead of a bench seat as that didn't fit properly either as it pushed the wall out (see the pattern emerging here) so put a bench seat back in. The only positive was the ammo for the AT gun. There's loads of ammo boxes but nowhere shown on the instructions as to where they go. In the end I used my trusty x-acto saw to seperate them all as there was a block in between the boxes (no idea why) and put thme end to end behind the front seats. A whole evenings work and all I managed to do was put a few ammo boxes behind a seat. Needless to say there was a lot of swearing and frustration. I'll put some more pics up when I've actually achieved something...
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:24 PM UTC
Modeling can be so relaxing, right?

Good to see another build started, Jon! A great subject with a full box
champy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:16 PM UTC
A few more updates, looking like a big machine...