Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
DOG Campaign
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:55 PM UTC
@Jesper Here you go. I had already started to take some of the large parts of the sprue but most of the small parts are still untouched. The model also came with a sprue of WWII soldiers that can accompany your Vietnam era tank
also on the bottom of the turret is the copyright mark cica 1966

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:25 PM UTC
Casey, thanks for sharing. This fits the campaign very well - weird scale wheels, blob figures and all. All we need is wrong length tracks

Looking forward to see you tackle this one. I am sure you will make a silk purse out of a pigs ear
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm entering with the Aeroplast BM-8-24 kit. Thing is I have two of these kits. I ordered some AM stuff from Poland and saw this kit for a few bucks, so I was like, why not? Weeks went by and nothing came. I contacted the seller and he shipped out a replacement right away. Months down the road, the original package finally arrived well after I got the replacement!

In this kit the T-60 turret parts included, so I'll be building this one as the T-60.

Started with the turret. Added some detail with some evergreen and brass. Drilled a hole out for the pistol port.

Plugs in the pistol ports from spares bin, removed molded lever and added my own from spare PE and some evergreen.

After lots of sanding and some filling, added the missing rivets, and reworked the hatch hinges and positioned the hatch in the open position.

I'll be working on and off, got other campaigns. Here's to a good start.

I hope you paid the guy for the extra kit?
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:15 AM UTC
Okay I went ahead and pushed to finish the Tamiya M41. I painted it forest green, dry-brushed it, and added the decals.

The decals were easy to add. The markings are a bit misleading though. They instructions would have you add the USA number "USA 3016739" to one of the JGSDF options.

The kit was a fun, nostaligic build. It's a decent kit for its age...though I would buy the AFV Club kit if I wanted a serious M41. Without digging out the references....
The 50 cal is garbage, but typical for Tamiya's 50 cals in that age. Same for the jerry cans. The aerials are garbage. Those can be easily replaced.
The driver's periscopes are horrendous. They really should have molded them solid. The grab handles are meh and seem destined to be crooked no matter how hard you try to keep them aligned.
The thing that really annoys me are the mid-storage boxes on the fenders. The actual tank has reinforcing "X"s on the sides. Tamiya chose to mold them smooth. However, they have them included on the box art and the markings illustrations. They also omit the tow cables...they go along the sides. These are also shown in the markings illustration.
And I didn't even bother with the kit's figures.

Anyway, that's it I guess. This could be a good kit for someone getting in to the hobby. They are inexpensive...I think I paid $10 for it...and it goes together well. I'll probably monkey with this one at some point. I don't think I'll try to fix it, but I might use it for some what-if project.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 04:39 PM UTC
I've made a start on the Panther which seems to be going together reasonably well. I've built a couple of these in the past and they're as I remember them. One of the problems with the add on zimmerit is that it never sits right.

While it's only about 1mm above the edge of the turret that would be a lot in real life and of course the zim is level with the top of the turret. I needed to do a bit of fillering as well to get it looking right and then trim it level with a no 11 blade and sand it back.

I've had to order a metal barrel which wasn't part of my plan(with it being a cheap and cheerful fun kit to build) as for reasons unknown the cement melted the barrel and rendered it capable of firing around corners so that had to go in the bin. I've ordered a set of the Aber PE grilles as they finish the kit off nicely. I found an Eduard set which I bought some time ago when I was building another one. It was cheaper but alas the round grilles were slightly too big. It was for a DML Panther and naiively I thought they'd be the same size. Just goes to show you can never trust manufacturers to agree on measurements so I'll have to wait for those.

This is as far as I've got with the upper hull so far. There's a few gaps between the zimmerit and the front fenders so I've filled those. The zimmerit plates also need trimming and fillering along the top as well. Valuewise I can't grumble as it's a reasonable kit for it's age and the idea of putting torsion bars in on a DML kit put me right off buying one of their's. Obviously more accurate but I've never understood the need for complicated parts when you can't see them. There's no interior at all on this Panther, not even a breech mechanism but as I intend to have crew in all of the hatches noone would be able to see inside anyway. Next is the laborious job of painting the road wheels which has to be my least favourite job on German tanks

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
Karl, nice start. The zimmerit is always a struggle, but better to have it a bit to large than to small.

Looking great so far!
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 05:59 AM UTC
Thanks Jesper. I'm quite enjoying myself if I'm honest as it's not a bad kit really. The advantage of this zimmerit as opposed to PE is I can use liquid poly or cement to attach it rather than gluing my fingers to PE as I usually do lol. You're right about it being better being too large as at least I can trim it back rather than try to reproduce it where it's come up short. Did the bottom half of the hull today and got the road wheels and tracks on. I was quite surprised to see that the tracks are gluable. They're rubber band tracks so superglued them. They're not bad tracks really as they do look like Panther tracks and as you know I hate doing individual links as they drive me mad. That's why I'm having a break from half tracks for abit lol. My last three builds have been half tracks and I've had enough of tiny track assemblies for a bit. I'm hoping to mate the top and bottom tomorrow so I'll stick some more pics up. I've picked a crew out of my figure stash for it as well now so that'll be a diversion while I wait for the barrel and grilles.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 06:02 AM UTC
Just realised I'd forgotten to join
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC
Well got the hull together and for the most part it fits together well for a four part hull. Only real problem was with the back plate and trying to line it up. Still need to sand it and probably add a little putty but the seams are not to bad for such and old kit.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 05:53 PM UTC
Begun work on my dog.
Talk about a POS.
Used Testor's putty to "make mud" in the running gear as the outer road wheels are the only things molded to the tracks. Outta sight/outta mind

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:57 AM UTC
Joe, a true dog I love that the tracks are just a solid band with ribs on it.

Looking forward to see more
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi All,
I am joining the campaign building a T-80U using the Skif T-80UD and the SP Designs conversion. I have been putting this project on hold ever since the Xact Models T-80U kit came out. I should have lots of fun just getting the lower hull squared, and ready for the upper hull.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:39 AM UTC
Raul, those Skif kits have a really bad reputation. Fits this campaign very well. The resin looks really nice though.

Looking forward to see the result.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:52 PM UTC
Tom, that jeeps a cracking build. If you hadn't shown that it was the old Tamiya Jeep I wouldn't have known You've done a really nice job on it. Even on the crappy old Tamiya figures. Nice work mate.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 08:08 PM UTC
Bit more progress on the Panther. It got a bit confusing at one stage as I'm building three Panthers at the same time. This one which was new, another A which was an old one that was a wreck ,courtesy of my ex girlfriend, for the Unfinished Business campaign which is two wrecks canibalised to make one good one and a Panther G. All Italeri (I know not the most accurate but I like their Panther's and Tigers as they're a fraction of the price of DML abd don't contain 7 million parts with crap instructions lol)which made it more complicated. This is where I am so far. I've got the new barrel to replace the one that melted so once that's on I can crack on with the camouflage. I'm going for straightforward green over dunkel gelb.

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:14 AM UTC
I know this is a late start, but I'd like to jump in with a 1/30 Bandai Hummel kit from the 70's. I am doing this as a commission build for a friend over on another site who collects pre-built armor like 21st Century and Forces of Valor. I have sold and built a few kits (Monogram white boxes) for him to pad out his collection, and he managed to score this one cheap recently. He wants the kit static, but because the axles are required to hold other parts I will be assembling the guts to this kit anyway. The figures are pretty sad; like gnomes from a poorly drawn cartoon.

The technique I'm giving a shot will be the oil dot filter.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 12:38 PM UTC
Shell, that looks like a real dog! I think the figure must be the worst one we have seen in this campaign so far. And we have seen some ugly ones!

Looking forward to see more
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 02:15 PM UTC
Shell, that has got to be one of the weirdest figures I have ever seen. Are you going to build and paint it just so we can admire it's weirdness?
Almost finished the Panther despite a major balls up on my part which was down to complacency. I'd put it in a box lid with the other two I was working on to put out of the way and thought it looked a bit different which it shouldn't have being the same kit as the other A I was rebuilding. Like an idiot I'd glued the part of the hull with the driver and radio ops hatches in upside down! Moron !Fortunately I'd used liquid poly so it was an easy job to take it off, sand back and put in the right way up. I think what did it was the fact that there are rivets on the back of the lip so it looks like it should be visible, combined with me being tired when I was doing it and being overfamiliar with the kit and not looking at the instructions. Oh well, no real harm done. I've got the cam sprayed now so it's just a case of adding the tools and doing a bit of light weathering for the time being. It's going in a dio so I'll wait until I've built the groundwork before I apply dirt etc as I've got a couple of vehicles to do and want them to have consistency in the colour of the dirt. I'll get some photos up once I've finished it off.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know this is a late start, but I'd like to jump in with a 1/30 Bandai Hummel kit from the 70's.

The technique I'm giving a shot will be the oil dot filter.

Amazing in those pictures the parts are identical to the venerable ESCI 1/72 Hummel. The kit was awful in 1/72, I can't imagine how plain it must be in 1/30!!!

And the figure looks very close to the characters from the 1960/70's anime Speed Racer.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 04:18 PM UTC
Shell, that's the doggiest I've seen so far. Don't let that Aliens dude from History Channel see that figure as he'd sure spin a story around it.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:14 PM UTC
My plan is to paint the eyes so they appear to follow you around the room.
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Jesper,
Building two complete SKif kits may push a modeler beyond his limit of sanity , especially now that the Trumpeter and Xact Model T-80s exist. I am slowly working on a Skif T-80UD kit, sometimes thinking of giving up and building a T-84 out of it. It is a shame it cannot be part of this campaign.

As for the T-80U, I had glued the lower hull plates, using styrene pieces to try to keep it squared. I will be lowering the suspension as for my liking it is a little bit high. I am also preparing the upper hull, to minimize the amount of putty that I will need. I am working on the turret, which is requiring more putty and super glue than I thought.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My plan is to paint the eyes so they appear to follow you around the room.

LOL! That was a good one!

Raul, that is a double dog! I feel your pain, but on the other hand it is also sometimes fun to make a silks purse out of a pigs ear.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:11 AM UTC
Running late here, but time is on my side, how about a Mirage Vickers E 7TP?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:35 AM UTC
Clayton, I build that kit many years ago and even then it was a dog! 😉