Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Trumpeter Mk.II Campaign
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:31 AM UTC
With the rain on Thursday and snow today I had time to work on the NBFZ (Krupp version).
The fit of the hull top and bottom was excellent at front and rear. The sides will be covered. The ten main suspension bogies required a modified build from the instructions which simplified the process. There are 12 plastic parts and one PE for each bogie.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:40 AM UTC
The weather service forecast 3 inches of snow for our area. We have about six inches and it hasn't ended with the the wind picking it up building drifts on the roads. Not much compared to other places but for Middle Tennessee this is as much snow as we had for all of the last three years!

Anyway I have been able continue with building the NBFZ. The instructions would have me add the suspension bogies and the return rollers to the sponsons now. I added the sponsons and will add the bogies, etc., after I paint the hull. Progress to date:

I constructed the three turrets leaving off the radio antennae and machinegun barrels until later. The PE on the smaller turrets resisted bending, even after tempering. I guess the individual track links will be next
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 08:23 AM UTC
Started building the tracks. It takes 129 per side .
There are 5 points of contact to the sprue for each link! Than some light sanding to get good fit on the form so that the tiny pins (the tips of the things that look like wine bottles on a sprue) can be installed. I tried touching some liquid glue to edge of the track link and then insert the track pin. After the first set it looks like that method will allow the track to bend around the sprockets and the idlers
I made the mistake of having some Blues playing on Pandora while working on the track. Not a good choice for such tedious work. Switched to some instrumental Blue Grass starting with second set.
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 03:02 PM UTC
Trumpeter-05593___2S7SPG

this will be my build for this campaign:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/11937

If anyone has advice or questions about the model...
Just let me know

~Chris

photo 2016-01-18 - One_Thousad_ pieces_zps3v1tetk4.jpg

I wanted to see 1000+ pieces all out at once...lol
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:02 AM UTC
The hull, turrets, fenders and exhaust all went to the paint shed for a coat of primer.
The turrets are installed for the photos and will be removed for further painting.
I have completed four sets of 10 track blocks each, or about 1/3 of one side of track. It takes 129 blocks per side. The track is ending up as semi-workable. The plastic pins provided to join track blocks are weak and some don't survive removal from the track form. I had to glue those together. My first set of ten worked perfectly, just need three more perfect sets to get around the sprockets and idlers.

Jeff
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 06:46 PM UTC
Jeff, I started one of those a few years ago.
Everything was good... but I stopped at the tracks, I had the same issues with the small pins.

I hope you manage to finish yours, so far it looks great.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:26 PM UTC
John,
I have got this far. If I wasn't building this for a group build I might have followed your lead...lol
Jeff
F1Boomer
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:51 AM UTC
Mig-29 K - 1/32 Trumpeter
It's pretty cool to be into your own build, and then take a break and look at other modelers work. Fun to watch my own and other builds come together.
Did some wheel well weathering and washes, installed the cockpit and wings and joined fuselage halves.
1. Wheel wells aren't terrible, but pretty simple.
2. Wings - So Trumpy's parts are a bit chunky I guess is the best words. The rear edges of the flags aren't very thin and the pin and PE join of flaps to wings are a pain at best.
Folding wings tend to droop if unfolded, will have to make a decision soon if I am going to leave them up or down. Flaps too, they are pretty fragile mounts.
3. Cockpit install. I chose to use the Avionix pit and seat and use the Trumpy IP. Not a great decision as this caused a few fit issues, but it is in and looks ok.
Trying to figure out best way for engine intakes to be displayed. Need to review some pics and figure out what I want to do.

ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC
I'm in here with a Krupp Steyr Waffentarger just don't know yet when I will get around to starting it
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:50 PM UTC
Joe, looks like you have a lot of work with that Mig-29! Good progress.
F1Boomer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:39 PM UTC
Jeff, was wondering about your Callsign, did you go to Ranger school in 1974? Also, was interested to see your music choices. I usually listen to classic rock. Would be interesting to know if other modelers listen to music and what type, or if there are other back ground things that modelers listen to (or watch?), or is quiet the best for some?
The Trumpy Mig is an interesting build. I think the best description I can give it is unrefined. But then I have 3 ex-wives who would call me the same thing, and a lot worse. 😇 It is fun tho, spent till 3 am this morning downloading Mig-29 pics for ideas. Also researched the intake grates. Did some sanding and filling and rescribe yesterday. Hope to get to painting stage today or tomorrow.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:52 PM UTC
Joe,
Yes, I graduated from Ranger School in August 1974. I went when ROTC cadets could still go in lieu of ROTC Summer Camp.
I listen to music using Pandora now on my computer which is in my office/hobby room. I listen to about anything but heavy metal, acid rock, rap and "hard country." I like classic rock, mainly 70s Rock and beach rock.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Two steps closer to completion:

Base coat of Panzer Gray paint and added the main bogey units. Need to add return roller, fenders and accessories, then weathering.
Though about painting in early gray/brown camo, but that wasn't in effect for invasion of Norway. Save that camo for PzKpfw I or armored car.
F1Boomer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC
Jeff, small world, i also went to Ranger school from ROTC in 1974 and graduated in August. Think we were in the same course together. Ranger ROTC Class 10-74. Also went to Airborne school in June/July 1973. Was commissioned in May 1975 in Combat Engineers.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:15 PM UTC
Oh yeah, definitely same class. The student holding guidon was one of five cadets from Texas A&M. I believe I am in rear row. I didn't go to Airborne School until Jan, 76 between en route from basic course to first PCS post. I was commissioned into Armor AUG 75.

Jeff
F1Boomer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:38 AM UTC
Trumpy 1/32 Mig-29K
Got main fuselage and wings and tails together and started painted. Dang, this is a big model. More tomorrow.

F1Boomer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:45 AM UTC
Some putty touch ups, then today more color highlights and then clear and decals.

F1Boomer
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 06:31 AM UTC
1/32 Trumpeter Mig-29K.
Well, after 4 days of painting, I am satisfied with the base scheme. Clear coat on, decals and washes next. Will be fairly dirty, photos show this aircraft new and older, and it has weathered a fair bit, Also, this paint scheme on 941 was painted in Indian Navy colors with Russian Markings as it was used to demonstrate to the Indian military what the aircraft was capable of and what they were buying. So scheme is not 100% accurate, nor is the details if the aircraft. But heck, I'm a helmet painter, I race Superkarts and paint helmets for the racers. So while it may not be totally accurate, I paint it till it pleases me.

Cbacon84
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:35 AM UTC
well slight change of plans while doing a test fit on the f-7II the nose cone decided to pop off and go to the same place left socks in the dryer go so I'm gong to have to order a new one. so I'll be building the F-8II Finback first
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 08:51 AM UTC
There is one definition for insanity that goes, "Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." Well, I have been suffering with insanity on this build concerning the tracks. Trumpeter provided a form that allows joining of ten track blocks by pins at a time. It takes 13 sets to make one side of track. The method I used for the first side of track (first two photos below) and the first three sets for the second resulted in about a 35-40% failure rate of the track pins holding, resulting in having to glue track blocks together. Additionally, The track kept coming apart as I tried to install it. I finally spot glued the to the support rollers and the idler so I could work on bottom run. Took me more than a week to get that first side installed.
I still need to adjust track around the idler.
After problems with the first three sections of the second side I changed my method and regained my sanity. The tracked is rolled up to get it out of the way until ready to install.
The second side will be installed after painting and initial weathering.
In the end I installed 516 track pins. A chant from Airborne School kept going through my head, "Hit the hole, pole man, hit the hole!" I know Joe remembers that chant.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 04:45 AM UTC
Howdy all. Some nice builds going on so far . Liking the Panzer

I'm in with Trumpy's M1A1HA Abrams. Its one of their earlier kits but from all reports it was one of the better Abrams versions until Dragon released their M1A1 AIM and M1A2's. I got this one from Santa last christmas to weather the hell out of, similar to the photo below. I plan on this being a fast build as I would like it finished before MENG release their new Abrams which I should be getting as a late B'day pressie.

Some pre start photos

Started last night and up to here so far. Encountering a little flash on parts here and there but only real problem was the alignment of upper and lower turret but careful gluing solved that. I also removed the last section of side skirts as in commonly seen.

Upper hull just sitting in place
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC
had a little time last week to get the main body parts put together as well as paint the little seat in the cockpit. Fit is rather good so far.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 06:27 PM UTC
That M1 photo proves that you really can't take your rusting and chipping too far. Who'da thought a tank could get so rusty in the desert. I feel like all my older builds are now vindicated!

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That M1 photo proves that you really can't take your rusting and chipping too far. Who'da thought a tank could get so rusty in the desert. I feel like all my older builds are now vindicated!

Notice the exhaust shroud, denoting this M1 belongs to the Marine Corps. You won't see that kind of rust on an Army M1 as they are not exposed to the salt spray/salt water as are those belonging to the Marine Corps.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 04:00 AM UTC
Finally making a start: