Hosted by Darren Baker
Like, but not the Bladerunner
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:55 PM UTC
Awesome progression Nick. The structures and details are amazing. Not sure how you make so much progress in such short amount of time... I was only gone for about 8 weeks... Great skill and level of detailing here. Thanks for sharing!

JGphins
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:55 AM UTC
Nick
Finally managed to go back thru the pages. Let's just say you have a real stunning project coming together here.
One question: who's signing off on the construction progress, bc there's some serious freelancing being done down below at street level from the original plans coming from "up-top"! OH!!!
Seriously, I love the documented progress from inception complete w/ sketches, drawings, etc to where you have now placed it. Which is ascending upwards along with the futuristic skyline as you have a real knack for bldg structures.
Gotta appreciate the time and effort you've invested on the bench, but also the ref pics out on location OH! and also the exterior shots w/ ambient, natural lighting. I swear a couple of 'em remind me of innercity LA (where Im originally from) back in the day -cool dude-
I'm actually also reminded of the og film, which I haven't seen in DECADES, right? I mean, night shots? Believable night shots.
And all the inbound reception regarding sewer lines, lighting (in miniature AND 1/1), the freakin' awesome construction materials and methods you've been hanging on that first structure, which can only inspire one to try some rather simple model-making techniques themselves ("who knows, maybe my idea will work"), and the facade (sorry) you've been investing in to get just right , is outstanding. And no PE AM either!

Sorry for the blather but I literally just returned from a straight 4hr drive for a bro's daughter's graduation.

Nick, my apologies bruddah, this is your post.

But many a moon ago I worked for a firm which produced six figure model rail-railroads as a model maker; not scenery, track laying, cnc'd benchwork assembly, hard-wiring of all differing electrical current, loading/offloading of multiple modules for transit, I am in no way, shape or form a "Model-Railroader" (btw-them being a real serious breed indeed).
Lots of scratched bldgs, bridges, tunnel fronts, retaining walls etc etc. I learned a ton.

And IF, however, I was to wish for a Sci-Fi themed, Cinema structured, futuristic and highly accurate diorama, I would be hunting you down M8

Look forward to your progress
Cheers
humbly, Dave
sorry guys
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 10:50 PM UTC
Nick

You might like the dust bins (Herbies), highway barriers and fire hydrants offered in 1/35th by this company:

http://www.battlegategames.com/index.php

Hope all is well and going smoothly in SF.

Mike
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hi model builders -- I am bringing an update today, and not just talking this time!

As always, you guys are coming in strong with lots of good ideas - I have taken some action regarding the lighting. I received an email from one of the Hobby Co's over the weekend who was having a big sale on small LED's....so, I purchased some - lucky me, the price was right - $5 or so for a short string, so ordered a few - we'll see if I can do anything creative with them! I sort of hope so. As you'll see below, the buildings are coming along, but, I'll bet they would be pretty strong with some lighting!!

Ok - first, to those of you who have left comments, or dropped by for a look, thanks!

Hi Dave - yes, the world of electronics!!! you guys are getting to me - I have to at least try something! there seem to be lots of choices

Mike! thanks for both! Yes, its a bright clear and hot day here in SF - really a drag to have to go to work on such a day! And, yes, the reasons we all build models....it's a process I like and as these are fairly complicated projects, are a good way to leave work or whatever else far behind!

Hi Kobus, thanks for dropping by and taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate it!

Joaquin, thanks to you for taking the time! you're project is looking pretty great! the detail and colors on that mosque are something - that's quite a build!

Hi Dave - uhh. yeah...about those concept drawings, and the as-builts...as I began building this, I realized that the "mean streets" on the drawings did not look all that mean! and instead, a bit like Main Street USA at Disneyland! which, is, in it's own right pretty cool, but in this case,wrong! - I don't foresee my villains looking for smoothies, soft pretzels, or mouse club hats! So, the cutesy village went far away - and, yes, in came elements of skid row and the tough places we see in most cities! plus some of the alt future, sci-fi feel - and there you have it!

Thanks for the nice words - - funny thing about these builds, the process is it - when the project is done, off to collect dust they go!!

Ok - on to today's update:

So, I paid attention to what Mike noted about the use of decks - and as you'll see, the upper three floors each have wrapped decks, with the doors and windows flush with the wall plane.

You'll also note the big sign - that wall needed something vertical, so that's what it got!

This isn't glued together yes, so just a test fit - it is getting tall! I got tired of working on this block, so the backs/sides/etc will come later!!

I did tho do a little test with the bad-guy mobile - you'll see the concept pretty quickly - bad guys on the run in urban IFV, lose control, and get hung up! That's why the people in the cafe are looking to the right -

The vehicle is made from parts from a variety of kits and, lots of scratch work. I built this a while ago, as a "what if" - turns out with some mods, it might be good for this build. I carved open the lower hull doors, to suggest a quick escape, and carved off a variety of crap I had installed on the top of the hull, and left the hatch and added a CROWS:

and above you see, one bad-guy mobile, hung up on a knocked over barricade!

Nothing glued in place - just seeing what it looks like!

As to the walls....yes...I'm putting them down for a while - they are big and awkward - so, as a break, how about some small and difficult? - the usual suspects, with a few fancy resin (DDay, Paracel, and Industrai Mechanika) and lot of plastic from MB!

Many of the guys got their shorts converted to long pants, and the women's skirts were shortened! take a look:

The mean street will be populated by all sorts of folks - ample amounts of putty and lead foil are used throughout them to get the look needed -

OK - now, back to reality!

Cheers
Nick

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:49 AM UTC
Hi Nick,
I see you've been very busy over the holiday. Nice progress!

I love the big sign and the exterior conduit running all over the place! The weathering on the fans and corrugated metal looks really cool! And oh yeah ... nice tailoring job on the figures!

—mike
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:39 AM UTC
Stick!!!! Had to get off the lurking couch and give a shout out to the creator of both mayhem and wonder! I'm practically speechless....

Been so busy at the course, but have enjoyed a few minutes each day checking out th builds...yours kinda alluded me for a time, honestly never had a hankering to see the bladerunner movie (s)?? Glad I finally noted the noted builder's callsign

That big rusty sign would surely benefit from some LED powered neon lighting....just echoing the voices of others, not trying to force you to do anything out of guilt or peer pressure.

Anyway, glad to be following this now. Hope to find some bench time soon, but preparing for the possibility it could be several weeks or months away

Looking awesome Nick! Thanks for the updates...
KCJones
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:06 AM UTC
Wow, these are amazing!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 02:29 PM UTC
Brilliant Nick , simply brilliant , .......... , Nick , Dave said lights .........................
Question , what did you use to make the window panes above the greazy spoon and the open garage ?

Love all the aspects , sign's a killer .
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:37 PM UTC
nice progress!!! and here I am without any modeling motivation, and getting burned out doing the freelance CAD for 3D printing as well... UGH
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:22 PM UTC
Holy cow man you have not let any grass grow under you! The new building stuff is your usual awesome work and that vehicle is so freekin cool!
All the figs you have underway aren't too shabby either man.
This will be another Nick nitro knockout.
Saturday Saturday Saturday...come see Nicks' nitro knockout at the Ratrig Speedwayyyy !!!! Said in my best,yelling,echoing radio voice.
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi guys - thanks for taking the time to leave some comments! I appreciate them!

Mike - yeah - for this project, updates seem realistic at about two week increments. The bigger objects, like the walls take time and more time! Long weekend was a coincidence! I actually spent time doing things other than model building!! Wow - weird stuff! Restaurants, bars, BBQ!

Hi Dave - great to hear from you my brother from the great white north!! Sorry to hear you're so tied up! Sounds like you're a busy-handy-kinda-guy!

Hi KC - glad you're liking it so far!! The enthusiasm is appreciated!!

Hey Matt - ha! You're always up to something - model building and high tech design!! Thanks for checking it out!

Hi Cheyene....yeah, like high school!! Peer pressure! "Try the lights dude! They're awesome!!" Haha - yes, I'll be giving them, and signs a try a bit later on - right now working on the heavy lifting. Between being tall and a bit awkward, assembling and painting these walls would be easier with a third hand!!!

Hi Jerry - haha!!! Yes - the big event indeed!! You realize, you've also subliminally added the hint about adding lights! What Saturday night event doesn't have lights?!

My lights are in the mail from a supplier. I found strings of LEDs on sale - but, I'll need to figure out how to wire them up, place them, and make them work - ugh...

Take it easy -
Nick
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:34 PM UTC
Nick; Believe it or not the local Kroger's (read Ralph's out your way - same company) are/were selling decorative white grain of wheat LED's wired in a long string and controlled by a little battery box for about $8 bucks a pop.

25 to 35 tiny lights on a string with some very limited flashing options or otherwise all on. Probably would not work for sign lighting but perfect for general area and room ceiling light fixtures on your model. Lights can be easily colored (red or amber) using transparent "taillight" model paint colors.

Cheers - Just trying to help.

p.s. Love the latest vehicle. Seems perfect for this application. (Now an MRAP for the pursuit vehicle????)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:54 PM UTC
How about Tiger Model's new Terminator offering for your street scene?

Have troops from the MRAP making the arrest on the guys from the wrecked 4x4 while this vehicle blocks the street and keeps them covered? The addition of multiple camera heads on the tank could make it possibly appear as an A.I. controlled vehicle???????

Again just the erratic rummaging's of one very muddled mind.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:26 PM UTC
Wow, that is one cool-looking kitbashed buggy! If that was offered as a 1/35 kit, I'd buy one! I always wanted a 4X4 FAV Sci-Fi buggy like that and yours looks really nice with all the sleek angles and the large tires!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, that is one cool-looking kitbashed buggy! If that was offered as a 1/35 kit, I'd buy one! I always wanted a 4X4 FAV Sci-Fi buggy like that and yours looks really nice with all the sleek angles and the large tires!

Kinda reminds me of the 4x4, 2 man gun truck in the video game Halo which also made a very brief appearance as either a 4x4 or 6x6, I can't remember which, in the movie Avatar.
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hooray!!! I see more figgies here... I can"t wait to see them come "to life".
Like the sign, futuristic Las Vegas or what... and cool vehicle too

This is rockin' dude.
Cheers Dave
railbuilderdhd
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:18 AM UTC
Nick
I love the latest update. You dip has me watching the movie one more time just to be giving you best input I can.
You need to have a bonsai someplace. Maybe in the noodle restaurant/bar. I could see it half dead from the bad air but look like it's hundreds of years old.

I would love to see more on the figures you are working. Some before and progress would be great.

Your pace is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Dave
KCJones
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:57 PM UTC
I just noticed all the litter on the roads! Nice touch!

I'd love to see those green parts in the posts along the road lit up with leds!
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi guys - thanks for dropping by.

First, Cheyenne and others too! The window frames are by a company called Rusty Stumps - they're laser cut. I met Walt when I was a model rr guy - he was kind enough to scale up some windows for me - and they are very nice. Those shown are leftover from another project, but they worked out fine. The others are slowly made (!!!) from styrene!

Mike....yes! That Terminator!!! Awesome!....less awesome is that while this is a comparatively large project, the streets are narrow - and I have plenty going on...it just won't fit! I (fortunately!) looked up the dimensions - that bad boy is big!! At least relative to my build - ideally, well sort of, might be an Ontos - short and narrow....believe it or not, I think I figured out how to marry a wirbelwind and a CV 90/30 to make something that would look cool (i.e. Smaller hull, with cool, and highly modified topside) but still, very big!! I like the idea so much that I might try it anyway - but maybe not usable for this project...who knows?

As for the MRAP - yes, I want to use an MATV, which while almost universally disliked as a kit - when you finish they look great! My plan for that is to convert the bed to a personnel area - not the prototype 6x6, but still 4x4, wth the bed like those old surveyors trucks - remember the type with the sloped roofs with the windows along the slope? I'm guessing I can make that work...of course, up top I'll use one, or heck, maybe two! of those Live Resin, prototype multi weapon CROWS! Ought to look appropriately cool, and at least plausible!

I was lucky enough to get those a couple years ago at a big discount sale! In general, picking up the parts for this project has occurred over the last few years - anything at big discount prices was fair game and placed in the hopper! Particularly figures - as you all know, they're not cheap - so a purchase of all at once would just be too expensive...for me anyway!!

Next - lighting (and signs) all still to come. A few years ago, I picked up a string of those lights you describe - some post holiday sale item, and, I've purchased some LEDs mounted on thin tape that I'll need to wire. For the latter, I picked a few colors, so, hopefully the results will be nice - we'll see!! Regarding the signs, I've found a few images from Hong Kong, and old Kowloon - but, I am going to ask a coworker for translation before I spend the time building sign boards!! Could be pretty funny if I make big and prominent signs that say something ridiculous!

While we're in the grab bag of discussion, I'm glad that the 4x4 has more or less passed the "eye" test from you guys!! That started life as an Sd.Kfz 234/8! And then, changed! Peter - I thought this might catch your eye! I can say from building a couple of "what ifs" there's a thin line to walk - making something that looks different, but not ridiculous! That is, choosing some restraint! No high caliber anti aircraft weapon bolted on a 4x4 - ha! I wanted the beast to look factory built, and not like the various technicals we see running around!

Finally, Karl, I'm glad you noticed the litter! A bit tedious, but I think it adds something to the scene -

Ok - today...painting figures...good times!

Happy model building!

Nick
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC
What about using the Morris Quad gun tractor? It's world war 2, but the body has a unique shape and with the right modifications it could easily be made to look more futuristic.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
Nick,

I'd be happy to see a few more photos of your 4X4 kitbash for your next round of photos, especially the side profile of how you made that thing :-). What kits did you use, and what was your ballpark price for the 4X4 kitbash with all your donor kits used? It has a really great Sci-Fi look to it.

Did you use Industria Mechanika "Dustbuster" wheels?
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:08 AM UTC
Nick, that's some awesome plans you got comin', can you say anticipation?
Dave
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 05:38 AM UTC
Stick,

The mass & texture of the new building is spot on ( OF COURSE ).
Really framing the scene.
The P.A.V. (post apocalyptic vehicle) looks very P.A.V. too...

I heap more felicitations on you !
(That's not a bad word for the dialogue challenged - look it up).

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
Guys, truly I am not trying to beat a dead horse. However I purchased something at the Louisville IPMS Show two weekends ago that I have yet to see a new product announcement on so I thought I would share it here.

PE manhole covers and street drains (plus a resin fire hydrant) from Alliance Model Works; set #LW35052
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 05:41 AM UTC
HI model builders, I think I have a fairly good update today - really focus mostly on figures, but with buildings getting there, but not done!! I have glued the "new" sections together, but still have plenty to do (only facades are done) - on to the recurrent theme: you guys come up with a lot of great ideas!!

First up Gareth: that is pretty interesting idea - traditional, straight axle 4 x 4 with a short wheel base....hmmm...??? who knows at this point! thanks for taking the time -

Hi Peter - sorry! I forgot to get those pics! I'll get some in the next few days. As for the price, well, as I've noted before - I keep my eyes open for cool, but not too expensive, like the CROWS - how many of you knew that AFV Club makes it, and not too expensive, and, with some other nice parts!! maybe $12-$15 USD - price is right for me!

Hi Dave - thanks for taking the time!

Hey Neo!! no fancy words allowed in this joint! thanks!

OK Mike - you and your manhole covers!!! I'll figure out how to get some in!! haha! you know, you're right -as you'll see below, they might be a nice add to the streets!

Take a look:

Sorry about the goofy sequence- but, you'll get the point - the streets are filling up with the citizens interested in what the heck is going on!

Clearly lots more to do, but, its getting there! nothing like a bright sunny day for some shots! and, a few more:

OK - that's about it for this installment! so far so good! Now:

ADD MANHOLE COVERS!!!! and LIGHTS!!!! thanks for checking it out -

Nick