Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Tank Hunters Campaign
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 12:44 PM UTC
Alex: I have no experience with the Gunther, although it looks to be an interesting kit. The Jagdluther is my second Dust kit, the other being the Ivan, which doesn't seem to be available any longer. The core of both kits is identical, with the main body, waist and legs being plastic. The nose piece and rear appendage are resin and begin the difference in appearance. The weapons are also resin, but at least for the Jagdluther, the weapons are duplicated in plastic. I don't recall for the Ivan, and half suspect the plastic weapons were the same as the Jagluther plastic, while Ivan's resin weapons were unique. I'm not much for resin either, but found this resin to be easy to work with. As for your diorama idea, it is remarkably similar to my intent for the Sci-Fi campaign over on Model Geek
-zon
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 12:59 PM UTC
Gaz: looking good. We're those Indy links? I'm slowly, and I mean slowly, working through a set for an old cyberhobby Hetzer. The cleanup required is incredible, so I admire your getting them done.

Tim: the most straightforward of the tank hunters. Love it. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Matthew: looking forward to the Stug. Is the zimmerit molded in, or add on?

Kevin: nice progress.

-zon
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hi Zon,
Thank you! Those were Dragon Magic Tracks. I didn't do anything to them except pull them from the bag, glue em' together, and straighten them as required. My LHS seems to have some older kits around that still have Magic Tracks.

And I buy most stuff secondhand, anyway.

Aloha! (I was stationed in Kaneohe Bay with the 1st Bn, 12th Marines)

Gaz
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 05:23 PM UTC
To One and All,
Time to get started. I have a model show to go to this weekend (Orlando, FL)and then time to smell the glue! I will be building the Dragon JSU-122. It looks like it will be a fairly straightforward build, although I have already seen a few questionable areas in the instructions... good ol' Dragon. I spent Saturday cleaning and building wheels and sanding the two knockout pin marks off of each track link. Now that the tedious work is done, I can start the serious work next week. Below is my 'sprueshot' picture. More to come!

Thanks,
Stephen
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:18 PM UTC
Stephen,
Thank you for your submission! I really like some of the Dragon box art. Your JSU-122 should look quite beastly once completed.
There's a few interesting schemes for that one...but I won't post em lest I steal your thunder.

Cheers!

Gaz
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
Here is my starting pic. This is only my second 1/144 aircraft. I am using this one as a test to see if I like this scale enough to keep going with it or to try another.

wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:29 AM UTC
G'day again fellas

OK, a bit more information about what I am modelling here.

Iserlohn in Germany's Ruhr was apparently the only town of any size in the Ruhr to surrender without a fight in 1945. On 16 April 1945, the survivors of Schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung 512 surrendered in the town square.

The photo below, which is copied from Panzerwrecks 3, showns three Jagdtigers lined up in the square prior to the official surrender. They are, from furthest to nearest, X8, X2 and X1.

The photos below show more detail of X2, which is identifiable by the five kill rings around the barrel and the shell hit on the nose which has failed to penetrate.

There was a fair load of personnel on board prior to leaving the square, including one US soldier whose helmet is just visible at the back.

After leaving the square, X2 is shown from the rear, and a couple of points worth noting:

* No RHS mudguard (there isn't one on the front either)
* LHS mudguard is squashed flat
* There are no jack brackets. however there is a jack jammed behind the exhaust pipes.
* There is no jack block
* The bottom "C" hook is missing, although the brackets are there.
* There is now a second US soldier on the back deck.

In terms of progress, I have completed the hull, and the rear plate is shown below. Jack bracket holes have been filled, as have the holes for the jack block. Bottom "C" hook has been removed, and scratchbuilt brackets added. Butterfly nuts have been added to both sets of "C" hook brackets.

Back to the workbench.

Regards

Rob
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:33 AM UTC
David,
Thank you for your submission! I've been wondering when a Warthog was going to grace us with it's presence.

Rob,
Excellent way to start your build with some good documentation photos. I like the bracket work and butterfly/wingnuts. Where did you find the the nuts?

Gaz
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:27 PM UTC
Gaz: I'm on Big Island, so don't get over to Kaneohe much. Thank you for your service. Magic Tracks are definitely the way to go. I've cleaned so much plastic off those Hetzer tracks it could almost make another kit, and I'm only maybe a third through.

Stephen: nice entry. Looking forward to seeing it built.

David: about how big is that model? I have a couple of tanks in 1/144, but having a hard time imagining the size of an A-10 at that scale. Seems like a good number of pieces.

Rob: good research. Nice to have an actual vehicle to go from.

-zon
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob,
Excellent way to start your build with some good documentation photos. I like the bracket work and butterfly/wingnuts. Where did you find the the nuts?

Gaz

G'day Gaz

The wing nuts are included in several DML kits, and these came from my spares box. They are also available in etched brass, but the plastic ones stay stuck much longer!

Regards

Rob
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC
@ zon

The zimmerit on the stug is moulded in place. It’s very nice. Here are a few pictures…

But jeez there are a lot of pieces in the box….

Cheers

Matthew
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
I am in with a Dragon Elefant. Will post initial pics when I get home from work (assuming I can ever get the image links to work )
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC
After much consideration and indecision I've decided to go with an aircraft for this campaign (no real surprises there huh?) Dragons 1/48 Master Kit of the Fw190A-8 with 30mm canons under the wing for tank busting. I have also sourced from Owl resins a resin set for the Sg 113 77mm recoiless canons they put in the wings as an experiment. Which I might try, they weren't used operationally, but they were trialed. Does that fall within the rules for this campaign Gazza?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC
Matthew,
That zimmerit does look nice. I may have to change my mind about molded zimmerit.

Rory
I'm at work too. Look forward to adding your choice to the list.

Chris,
I'll be glad to see your trialled tank hunter. It will help the rest of us to learn about it.

Cheers,

Gaz
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hoping this works...

I will be doing the Elefant OOB except for the addition of Atak Zim.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:41 AM UTC
Rory,
Thank you! You and your Elefnat have been added to the campaign and I have updated the front page of the thread.

Happy Building!

Gaz
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:21 PM UTC
I was going to build an E-25 for this campaign, but since a Hetzer and E-25 are already in the works, I'll knock the dust off this Jagdpanzer E-100. I have replacement tracks, barrel and some PE for it, and I think the sheer size will be really impressive.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:37 PM UTC
Shawn,
Thank you for your entry. Man, that thing is massive! It's a wonder that the realities of Eoropean roads and bridges didn't effect these paper panzer designs more.

Keen to see it anyway!

Gaz
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Finally, my local Hobby Shop got the new M10 in, so I'm off to the races!

I swear my cell phone takes better pictures than my Nikon ;-(
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shawn,
Thank you for your entry. Man, that thing is massive! It's a wonder that the realities of Eoropean roads and bridges didn't effect these paper panzer designs more.

Keen to see it anyway!

Gaz

Gaz, you bring up a really good point. The rail transportation is another consideration that these PP's completely disregarded. The Maus and E-100 would have been nearly impossible to transport.
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:25 AM UTC
Heh yeah, the KT was already stretching the limit on how big tanks should get, a 100 ton monster wouldn't be much of a threat given their poor mobility and mechanical unreliability. They'd simply be outmaneuvered and bypassed like the French tanks during the Invasion of France. Not to say they aren't cool, I'm a sucker for big tanks if anything and I keenly look forward to what you can do with that thing.

But enough dawdling, here's some progress shots on my E-25

Scratchbuilt a few items, namely the 2 rangefinder nubs on both sides of the hull and a sliding gunner's periscope like on the jagdpanzer iv. Its a bit sloppy I guess and possibly overly thick. Oh well.

Applied primer and off to the brushworks.

Base dunkelgelb applied. I'm not sure what camo scheme to go for, I've already done quite a few tricolor and hinterhalt schemes.. I'm leaning for Octopus scheme, anyone know how to do the rings?

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi guys! Glad to see you all!

Clayton,
Thank you! Looking forward to it!

Shawn,
I guess the paper panzers would have been great for factory defence. Hopefully they built the doors big enough to get them out, lol.

Bryan,
I really like what you've done to add detail. Creativity is good for conceptual stuff. With my Ipad I can zoom in ultra close and appreciate the textures you've added to the metal.

All good stuff!

Gaz
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC
1/35 Industria Mechanika's "Pawn Brigade" assembled OOTB and primed. The resin base is either from Micro Art Studios or Secret Weapon. Click on photo for larger image.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 05:22 AM UTC
HI Everyone,
We're up to sixty members! I've just come from updating the front page.

Peter,
the figures look good! I like the futuristic appearance of their weapons and body armor. Keen to see what kind of camo you give them.

Gaz
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Base dunkelgelb applied. I'm not sure what camo scheme to go for, I've already done quite a few tricolor and hinterhalt schemes.. I'm leaning for Octopus scheme, anyone know how to do the rings?

That E-25 looks absolutely amazing so far! the range finders are a logical and well done addition.

As for the octopus scheme, I used that on an E-75 Mit KT Turm build I did a while back. I painted the rings by hand using really thinned down AK Interactive paint. I thought it turned out ok.