Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Tank Hunters Campaign
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 01:22 PM UTC
Zaidi,
Welcome! We would be glad to have you take part in the campaign! Your Su-122 would fit right in.

Gaz
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Zaidi,
Welcome! We would be glad to have you take part in the campaign! Your Su-122 would fit right in.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz...

will upload some photos soon... maybe i would create a new thread for the build to ensure this thread is not crowded with my build... Miniart su-122 carries 565 parts

My Build
Progress of the build as 10 min ago is this :

Thanks boss man!!

Sil
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 02:26 PM UTC
G'day Gaz

The tracks are held together with Tamiya Extra Thin liquid cement. I put all the wheels on the vehicle (not glued) and they stayed put well enough to enable me to wrap the tracks around them after gluing, then left everything to set and pulled everything off again.

Tip - put the drive sprocket and the idler wheel into the tracks before putting the tracks back over the road wheels, then there's no "stretching" involved.

Regards

Rob
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 07:05 PM UTC
I'm looking at some great builds here, and getting a lot of tips and tricks along the way! Alex, thanks for the Wood Glue and the popsicle stick ideas! And Rob,loading the sprocket and idler wheels on treads makes very good sense! I'll be starting my M10 this weekend, and I'll steal every good idea I come across!
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:15 AM UTC
OK again

A bit more progress. After I had found the extra "B" sprue in the box, I added the extra spare track hangers and my blood pressure returned to normal,

I've spent some time this morning pre-shading the hull and wheels:

In addition, the tracks have been primed and received their first coat of paint (Tamiya Dark Iron):

Back to the workbench!

Rgards

Rob
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:04 AM UTC
Rob,
You're really steaming ahead. I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing how you apply all of the photographic detail you have.

Gaz
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:40 PM UTC
You just wait until I start the 15 figures riding on the tank!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:31 PM UTC
Okay, here's my entry:

Sorry for being late, had a vacation earlier this month, had to 'clean up' the build area from years of it being a catch all so I should be good to go.

Let me know if this is how it's still done... it's been awhile for me and even as being a Campaign Leader a few times too.

Jeff
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
Looking good rob!
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:20 PM UTC
Nice, its kinda uncommon to see WWII Japanese armour round here. Looks like fun!
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice, its kinda uncommon to see WWII Japanese armour round here. Looks like fun!

I'm with you Bryan, WW2 Japanese aircraft & vehicles have been a special interest of mine for years. Thanks Jeff for choosing that kit, one I didn't even know existed.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC
Are wiffers OK for this campaign? How about a KV-5?

I got in a shipment of models last week from one of my usual suppliers. They know me, offer a big fat discount and I will reward them with a nice fat order. On a lark, I ordered the new Trumpeter KV-5 kit.

When we were kids and saw something really neat my pals and I would say "OOOOHHHH, That's Cool!" I'm in my 60s now but that is just how I felt when I opened the box and saw this KV-5 kit. OOOOOHHHHHH that's cool! I gotta build it!

I would like to build it here as a Tank Hunter. The KV-5 would have had a long barreled 107 mm gun had the project not been suspended when it was feared the Germans would overrun the factory in 1940. This is a paper panzerski, but it is sure fun to think about what might have been . . .
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC
Thanks all for the feedback. The E25 is a nice little kit...and a neat looking little AFV. I have some infantry support I might add. It would add one or two more dimensions of tank destroying goodness. I'm trying to decide between in-action figures and ones standing at-ease. Anyway, back to work for me.

It's looking like a lot of great work being done.

Tat, that looks amazing.

Kevin, Good to see the SU-76i.

Tim, that bicycle looks really nice. the seat springs were a nice touch.

Bryan, nice work on the E25.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:11 PM UTC
Rob,
15 figures! That will be awesome!

Jeff,
Thank you for your entry. There's no rush here. I agree with the others,we certainly don't see enough Japanese armor here.

Paul,
If your KV-5 is that cool, then all of us want to see it! Please share your building experience with us. It should fit in well with the other wiffers we have going.

Good fun, everyone!

Gaz
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:30 PM UTC
OK, I'll get some pics up of the KV-5 posted. I just built a KV-1 for the Trumpeter campaign and I see some familiar parts. I can hardly wait!
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob,
15 figures! That will be awesome!

Gaz

I don't think "awesome" is quite the word I would have used!

Regards

Rob
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:19 PM UTC
Actually, it's 16 - I forgot the driver.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, it's 16 - I forgot the driver.

16? Now that just might be a step into madness...lol
Ramanathan
Visit this Community
Pest, Hungary
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 02:55 PM UTC
Hello all,
My progress yesterday evening: new jack-block made of balsa wood, with Eduard PE.

cheers,
Zsolt
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
Zsolt - Wow! Did you have elves do up the buckle on that model? I can't even SEE that small except in a pictorial blow like the one you provided. Terrific work!

I got going on my own Trumpeter KV-5 project a few nights ago. This kit pulls many parts from existing KV series tank kits just as the real KV-5 would have pulled much from existing KV tooling. This tank is large but the kit is well engineered, the fit has been good so far. It builds quickly.

Oddly, there is no clear sprue. As these parts are included in Trumpeter's KV kits I can only guess this is a move to cheapen the product, too bad as the clear really helps the model to look better. I will gin something up to replace them but the parts I make will not have the lens fluting seen in the photos. I certainly feel the extra savings is not warranted, I would have willingly paid the extra nickel or dime it might have cost t include these parts.

BTW, Trumpeter is not alone in cheaping out by not including a clear sprue on recent releases. I just got in the new Dragon SU-76i a couple of weeks ago and it too omitted the clear parts. I sure do not like the direction this trend is taking.

I reordered the construction of this KV-5 somewhat. The destructions would have the upper & lower hull glued together after the tracks are glued on but before the fenders. I didn't think I could do a good job of painting and weathering with this sequence so I will leave the hull halves separated until the eleventh hour of the build. The fenders are now mounted well ahead of other steps.

Because the upper & lower hull halves are butt joined with no aids to hold them securely, I added some guides made of sprue. These will also give the glue more area to hold when the halves are ultimately married together.

Here are some pics of the start of this model of Stalin's Tiger Hunter;

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,
Some great work happening!

Zsolt,
that Jack block looks better than any I've seen modeled so far!

Zaidi,
Don't forget to go to the Campaign to enlist. HERE

Paul,
I'm glad to see you've started your build. looking forward to your further progress.

Happy building, friends!

Gaz
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
Excited to jump on this. I'm finishing up a Marder III M for the Tamiya campaign, and recently did a Marder III H. So, I should be well-versed in all things Marder after this one.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 - 04:13 AM UTC
Steve,
Thank you for your submission! Glad to see the first of the "Marders" in the campaign.

Don't forget to go to the Campaigns page and enlist. There is a link in the post immediately above your post.

Best Wishes,

Gaz
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:56 PM UTC
Well the Owl resin conversion pieces have turned up so it looks like this build is on here are some pics of what's actually in the box.

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC
A little more progress on the Volkssturm Tank Hunter; he’s now assembled and ready for paint.

The figure is nicely done, but he looks just a little too fit to be in the Volkssturm! That organization consisted of those too young, too old, or too physically compromised for regular army service.

Oh well, maybe he has a bad leg or something...