Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
My first HEMTT - the Italeri LHS
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:44 PM UTC
I know it is a bit ambitious but just thinking out loud about my most desired load for the HEMTT: Hippo potable water storage and water purification system. A scratch build project in and of itself!

(Photos used here for discussion purposes only.)

Not sure if I can amass enough reference to do a good job on this one but I am finding some info on the web, plus I found the TM.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC
That would be cool. A similar option could be the straight water tank version.

It is available in kit form from Accurate Armour out of Scotland.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC

(Photo by Cotton Puryear, Virginia National Guard Public Affairs - used here for discussion purposes only.)

I am drawn to the unusual 3/4 height of this container frame and the semi-oval shape of the tank itself.

Bottom photo added March 31, 2017
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:50 PM UTC
What a detail Michael. Your build log is very useful for others to follow. You remind me of my own build which was never finished but is on storage. Maybe if I have time I will do the build again You inspired me to look for my own build log.....just sharing this with you here. Excellent work as always!!!

My cargo load...

Waiting for more of your WIP's
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:18 PM UTC
Val, majorily good upgrades to the MHC especially at the smaller scale - Kudos!

On a related note: seriously Val you need to prime those molded resin K-rails in the back of that truck. Their look makes me want to pick one up and take a bite! Cherry Jellies?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:19 PM UTC

Hippo manual available at - liberatedmanuals.com

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-5430-244-10.pdf

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

TANK RACK GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS (Hippo):

Tank Capacity (usable)......................................................................................... 2,000 gal. (7,571 L)
NSN .................................................................................................................. 5430-01-487-7760
Part Number .................................................................................................................. 106A0020
Model Number ...................................................................................................................... M105
Length........................................................................................................................ 20 ft (6.1 m)
Width .......................................................................................................................... 8 ft (2.4 m)
Height .................................................................................................................. 5 ft 8 in. (1.7 m)
Weight, Empty .................................................................................................... 9,060 lb (4,114 kg)
Weight, Full ..................................................................................................... 25,942 lb (11,778 kg)
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:34 PM UTC
Michael that water tank load is very nice, go for it.

You made me look into my own stash, I got this wheel set for the 1/35th HEMTT. I don't know where I bought this, I think its during Euromilitaire several years ago. Its from Tank Workshop, two version is what I have. I don't know if its still available.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 02:03 AM UTC
If i am not mistaken, the "hippo" is identical to the WEW company water tank rack as used by German army. Unfortunatly, WEW references need to be asked.
http://www.wew.de/en/kundengruppen/armeen/index.html
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 02:11 AM UTC
As an F.Y.I. ; As you probably already know from reading this blog the "NEW" Italeri HEMTT with Flatrack LHS offering includes their very nice, new, real rubber tires. However the "NEW" Italeri Gun Truck kit DOES NOT!

For some reason the boys at Italeri chose to leave this updated feature out of the Gun Truck kit. Therefore many modelers out there will be needing the AM resin tires such as Val is showing here! (And that way you will also end up with tires that show the correct Manufacturer's markings as well.)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
The lifting end of the Hippo unit.

- Today I mail ordered one of the Italeri 20' shipping containers as a starting point for my Hippo. I did this basically to get the top and bottom load locking fittings and the rear rollers. Perhaps some of the underbody framing of the integral Flatrack structure will be usable as well, such as the main rails.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC

Hose reel - Right rear compartment access door.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If i am not mistaken, the "hippo" is identical to the WEW company water tank rack as used by German army. Unfortunatly, WEW references need to be asked.
http://www.wew.de/en/kundengruppen/armeen/index.html

I guess you're not mistaken :

http://www.wew.de/en/events/archive-2014/ausa-2014.html

Judging by the thumbnail on the related WEW website page, the corresponding brochure appears to be a simple PDF flyer you can download here as well :

http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/files/militarysystems/HVM-W%20Water.pdf

H.P.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:03 AM UTC
Mike

You'll find everything you need to scratchbuild the Hatz Diesel 1D81C engine used with the Hippo here :

http://www.hatz-diesel.com/en/products/diesel-engines/d-series/product/details/name/1d81c/

Same for the Flomax 8 water pump here :

http://mppumps.com/Product/FLOMAX-8-Self-Priming-Centrifugal-Pump

Judging by the TM drawings, the generator may be a Sincro ER2 one :

file:///C:/Users/HP/Downloads/SINCRO+ER+%2526+ER-R++2+pole+Generator.pdf

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks Frenchy

I agree the WEW and the US Army Hippo are one and the same.

Frenchy, at the risk of breaking everyone's heart I am going to build this Hippo in transit mode, fully buttoned up. Building the main water storage tank, I think, will be challenge enough.

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:04 AM UTC
Anyone knows the designation of the MTVT tank trailer. I guess it is now in use with the army?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:13 AM UTC
One more shot of my now finished scratch winch for the HEMTT - painted, weathered and cabled.

I have no problem building the various fairleads that feed the winch cable either forward or to the rear on the vehicle; however, these fairleads are supposed to be included in the Voyager etch set I have on order so for now their construction is on hold.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone knows the designation of the MTVT tank trailer. I guess it is now in use with the army?

Not sure the trailer has an official military designation yet. So far it seems just to be referred to as the MTV or Camel II. The Camel II utilizes a standard FMTV, M1095, 5-ton military trailer.

Do you want your water in tan or green?

The Camel concept was originally developed by WEW of Germany and is in use with a number of national militaries around the world. WEW is now a major partner with Choctaw Defense which manufactures the Camel II here in the US. The Camel II is currently undergoing primary testing by the US Army at APG.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:25 AM UTC
WARNING:

The following HEMTT information may bear repeating as someone else
on a different Armorama thread is also having difficulties with it!

On the Italeri model (It appears to be the same with the Trumpeter kit.) the front four wheel drums are different than the rear four. Special care should be taken to insure that the correct drums are used in the correct locations. Unfortunately there is nothing about the model kit that prevents you from putting the wheel drums on the wrong axles! The most visible difference between the front and rear wheedl drums is that the wheel center housing sticks out further on the rear wheel drums than it does on the front four drums.

As with most REAL wheel drums, the center of the drum is off-set relative to the centerline of the tire tread. With the HEMTT the off-set wheel drum can be mounted on the vehicle facing either way. Due to the presence of the steering mechanism on the first two axles the off-set of the wheel drum is to the outside to allow more space behind the wheel.

On the rear two axles the axles are actually narrower (no steering mechanism) so the off-set of the wheel drum faces the inside. Doing this keeps the finished tread width of all four axles approximately the same.

As per the Italeri instruction sheet the front wheel drums are identified as parts 2G. The rear wheel drums are identified as parts 1G. Finally the wheel drum for the spare is identified as part 3G and has no wheel center at all.

. . . . . . . . . . . FRONT WHEEL DRUM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . REAR WHEEL DRUM . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . OUTWARD FACING OFF-SET . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . INWARD FACING OFF-SET . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . LOW WHEEL CENTER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . HIGH WHEEL CENTER . . . . . . . . .
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:46 AM UTC
Excerpt from tire changing procedure shown in the HEMTT Tech Manual:

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure the trailer has an official military designation yet. So far it seems just to be referred to as the MTV or Camel II. The Camel II utilizes a standard FMTV, M1095, 5-ton military trailer.

The Camel concept was originally developed by WEW of Germany and is in use with a number of national militaries around the world. WEW is now a major partner with Choctaw Defense which manufactures the Camel II here in the US. The Camel II is currently undergoing primary testing by the US Army at APG.

I hope that Trumpeter will do a decent M1095 MTVT soon.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I hope that Trumpeter will do a decent M1095 MTVT soon.

GREAT WORK and GREAT INFO! I'll be needing another display cabinet just for all of these HEMTTs that are buzzing around in my mind!!!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:11 PM UTC
I have no idea if the wrecker conversion addresses the issue of all eight tires facing the same way. Since the wheel drums in the plastic kit are cast as a single part with the wheel centers, there is no way to correct for this wheel facing situation using only the plastic model kit parts.

The only real way to fix this on the wrecker would be to buy a second set of HEMTT rims, either kit tires or resin.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:13 AM UTC
I know we have been jumping around of late on this thread, from Water Camels to HEMTT Wreckers but here we go again.

Just got my Voyager etch set in the mail for the Trumpeter semi-tractor. Voyager has forever solved my SINCGARS radio problems!

They include a BEAUTIFUL resin radio set, an etched mounting rack as well as the external antenna mount! This radio has almost made the cost of the set worth it for me even if nothing else was there!

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
WELL DARN IT THEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to here that you got your radio. I wasn't happy with the cast of the radio I have that I was going to send you. Also good to here because I was about to mail the radio and antenna Monday. In the spares box the go.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:11 AM UTC
Pete I had absolutely no idea that this casting was included in the Voyager set.

Thanks for all your help and I am glad I could catch you before you mailed the other unit.