Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Poland 1939
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:59 PM UTC
Once Clayton had posted about the little TKS model from RPM I got curious and found there are several versions. The same basic tankette can be ordered with MG, 20mm, 37mm and even one with a turret. Some kits are described as having an interior.

I have yet to find a review of the kits but ordered one on a lark just to see what it looked like. Just looking at the parts, it looks pretty good. The tracks are rubber band or link & length.

Has anyone built one of these yet or seen one built?
Raulito
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Raul with your German armored car. It looks to be built on a large truck chassis and was likely the contemporary of the Soviet BA series. I'm looking forward to seeing it built! Tat's pictures shows one in the markings I think of most often for the Polish campaign.

Yes, Paul. As long as they were white or yellow crosses they'll be fine for the Polish Campaign. Till the Germans realize that those were the finest artillery targets! Then they conceal them with mud...

Quoted Text

Will look for other info Raul. Like yourself I've been collecting info on this -- in my case however, I've been using it as a lame excuse for putting off building the one I have in the stash

Tat. Who was not in this situation? I rescue this one from the stash thanks to this campaing!

By the way, check those pictures.

May the louvers can be open or closed? I don't know.

I think I'll go with the second ref pic. More work but it seems to be the appropriate for the period.

Cheers

Raul
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Once Clayton had posted about the little TKS model from RPM I got curious and found there are several versions. The same basic tankette can be ordered with MG, 20mm, 37mm and even one with a turret. Some kits are described as having an interior.

I have yet to find a review of the kits but ordered one on a lark just to see what it looked like. Just looking at the parts, it looks pretty good. The tracks are rubber band or link & length.

I've seen some pics online of completed kits that look pretty good. The tracks on the model I have a rubberband (TK-SD)...
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,

You may want to check these out:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A35&topic=TKS

http://www.track-link.com/reviews/1032

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/rpm/build_rpm_35041.shtml

Cheers,

Tat
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul,

Cheers,

Tat

Yes, those couple of reviews seem to indicate these tankettes leave something (ahem) to be desired...but I'm always up for a challenge...;-)
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul,

Cheers,

Tat

Yes, those couple of reviews seem to indicate these tankettes leave something (ahem) to be desired...but I'm always up for a challenge...;-)

Yeah, that's the spirit Clayton!
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
Just found this interesting graphic, seems to be the same equipment used in 1939, too..

There are a lot of other "posters" available, see
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/Goodies/tanks-posters.php
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 05:19 AM UTC
Tat - Thanks for those links, I hadn't seen any of them. After reading two of them it sounds like a good wash will be required tio get the mold release off. The interior kit may not be up to snuff either, something to keep in mind. I have one of these RPM kits now and thought it looked pretty good in the box. I have read the 7TP has issues but feel that the tank is so interesting and important that it is worth a bit of extra effort. This little tankette will probably build fine with some extra effort . . .

Clayton - Your chart looks pretty neat. I know of some differences between the two campaigns. The Stugs were just introduced for France and were not used in Poland. I think also that the Panzer II had more armor added for France. There may be other differences that folks may care to speak about. Of course, the white crosses were gone . . .
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just found this interesting graphic, seems to be the same equipment used in 1939, too..

There are a lot of other "posters" available, see
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/Goodies/tanks-posters.php

Funny, the Pzkpfw II Ausf D shown in the poster has Polish Campaign markings on it. The SIG 33 and the Panzer Jaeger I were also introduced in France 1940.

I have an RPM/Mirage TKS and TK-3 with interior, so I might do them in addition to a Polish cavalry figure conversion.

The book to find for this is the old out of print "Blitzkrieg" Armor markings book by Steve Zaloga. Concord also did at least one book with all the revised German grey and brown camouflage schemes. And there is a Facebook group about the Blitzkrieg German grey and brown camouflage with a collection of pictures of various German armor.

And Soviet armor was all totally unmarked so a BT-7 or T-26 could be built too.
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:20 AM UTC
Does anyone know if the Sdkfz 254 Artillery Observation vehicle ever saw service in Poland? The sources (Google) that I've found were kinda mixed in that regard.

It's a really interesting looking vehicle I must say.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:50 PM UTC
Yes, but good luck finding images to base a build on. The earliest markings seem to just have been a license plate and an artillery tactical insignia.

So it looks like no white cross.
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:43 PM UTC
Yeah i was kinda afraid of that. Many of the images i've found were of afrika korps vehicles which the kit is based on. Information about this vehicle is rather scarce and sometimes contradictory. I guess I could go for a plain jane looking vehicle in dark grey. I doubt any of the decals provided will be useable.

Alternatively, i coukd build a panzer iv ausf.b but do i really want to build another panzer iv??
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know if the Sdkfz 254 Artillery Observation vehicle ever saw service in Poland? The sources (Google) that I've found were kinda mixed in that regard.

A Hobby Boss Kit review says it was used in Poland, it was certainly an old enough vehicle, see here:
http://indy-amps.weebly.com/in-box-review-of-hobby-boss-135th-scale-german-sdkfz-254-tracked-armoured-scout-car.html
As far as Poland Invasion decals go, check out:
https://www.modelimex.com/1-35-decals-pz-kfw-38-t-invasion-of-poland-france
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this is an excellent choice. Do not be overly concerned about a lack of photographic evidence. Most of our models are based on less than perfect information, often a murky shot of one side and the decal designers make a best guess at the other sides based on what they know to be typical SOP at the time and place.

We have good reason to believe these vehicles were used in Poland and can make an educated guess as to what the marking may have been. I say go for it!

Archer also has white, yellow & black crosses in various sizes.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
Yeah, I need to get one now...I think accumulating kits is as fun as building them...so sick, LOL
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:25 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like its time to pull out Mr. Credit Card
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:59 AM UTC
Clayton - I too have been mostly a kit collector rather than a builder. Now I'm building and enjoying the hobby so much more. These Armorama campaigns are a great motivator for actually getting things done. Now I'm building kits that have been in the closet for more than 30 years and adding new ones from time to time. Yes, a sickness . . .

Bryan - I ALMOST popped for this kit myself last time one of my favorite "pushers" had a sale. Next sale - who knows? That kit is just too cool to resist!
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:41 AM UTC
Paul, No doubt, the Campaigns take my hobby to a whole new level...I'm disabled and stuck at home now, so I have PLENTY of time on my hands! Time for at least 18 campaigns, LOL...;-)
Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC
Paul - Looking fwd to your 7TPs build for this one. I built this awhile back and used the aber PE fenders/details, and this excellent resin turret w/barrel.

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/armo-35563-turret-for-7tp-tank-135-p-32152.html

Then the tracks were so bad went with the MK ones that came with the Hobby Boss T-26. They worked great. If I were to build one again, I'd start with a HB T-26 and the resin turret then add the PE fenders.
Anyway, looking fwd to your build and following this campaign!
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:18 AM UTC
Clayton and the guys.
I know what you all mean about getting involved with campaigns to get the building juices flowing. I'm retired and am now a caretaker for my daughter who has several medical issues so I'm home a lot too. I'm finally getting some time to build again, even though I'm as slow as cold molasses. I picked up a 1/72 RPM R-35 light tank off ebay after the earlier discussions about their use by Poland. The previous owner had started the interior. If I get my gunnery ship done in time I hope to build it for this campaign as well. Looking forward to starting soon.
John
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
I find campaigns are a great way to keep moving when I sometimes would rather vegitate. Lately I have been enjoying the baseball playoffs and building at the same time.

Another thing that kept me from actually building was perfectionism. When I was building I often got stopped by some issue such as needing more aftermarket items, research or the biggest one, lack of skill. Now I'm more inclined to bull ahead and if the result is less than I might have hoped for, I look at the whole project as practice for the next build. There is a kind of freedom in that . . .
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul - Looking fwd to your 7TPs build for this one. I built this awhile back and used the aber PE fenders/details, and this excellent resin turret w/barrel.

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/armo-35563-turret-for-7tp-tank-135-p-32152.html

Then the tracks were so bad went with the MK ones that came with the Hobby Boss T-26. They worked great. If I were to build one again, I'd start with a HB T-26 and the resin turret then add the PE fenders.
Anyway, looking fwd to your build and following this campaign!

I have given more than passing that to a sort of kitbash. I have several of the various Hobby Boss T-26s and thought of maybe combining the lower hull & suspension from one of them with the upper hull from the 7TP kit. I did not know about the resin turret you found for your project. That would be an improvement.

Right now I'm going to see how the build goes with what I've got on hand. Starting with the kit I have a metal barrel, a PE set, a set of Dragon PZ38T tools & a set of T-26 Fruils.

I'd hate to put too much into this build as sure as shootin', Hobby Boss or someone else will do a proper 7TP with modern detail & features . . .

Oh, one other thing - I'll have to finally get to terms with the airbrush. We haven't gotten along in 50 years of off again/on again effort. Now I have a SIMPLE Badger to try out and maybe will finally make peace. That would be real progress!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:36 AM UTC
I hope I am wrong, but every source I found on the Sdkfz 254 states that it wasn't put into service until 1940. Its first combat theater was in North Africa either as a scout or artillery hauler.

I am sure if it was used in 1939 it would have been mentioned in some report or article. I did the research hoping to find what unit or units it was assigned to so the proper decals can be used and not to disclaim Hobby Boss.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC
Thanks Mark, for your cautionary note. I'm really out of my depth here. I am using this campaign as an opportunity to learn about an important part of history that has often been overlooked. I am, and probably many of us are with me here, well off the historical beaten path.

Given that the evidence is so scanty I would like to err on the side of allowing such an interesting vehicle to be included in the campaign.

How do the rest of you feel?
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:18 AM UTC
It's a yes for concerning the SdKfz 254. I found several photos of the vehicle assigned to the 7th Panzer Division in Giżycko, Poland at the axis history forum.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj7jo2r2-rPAhXDKCYKHYO7D244ChAWCCUwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.axishistory.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D79158&usg=AFQjCNFk3FP5ODCovWZyn4nl22GLIfXX7A

The captions don't state the date but they look early war enough for me.