Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Poland 1939
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2016 - 03:41 AM UTC
Thanks for this bit of info. Mine is an early one with the tools molded on the fenders. I had plans to sand them off and use replacements. I'll have to dig out one of the Hobby Boss T-26 kits to see if a kitbash might be worthwhile. Those T-26 kits have in excess of 900 parts! Most of them in the tracks which have a left & right pin for every link but that is still a lot of parts.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 03:47 AM UTC
Only about three weeks to go before we can start our POLAND 1939 campaign. I'm really looking forward to seeing your builds and starting my own. I keep saying I'm going to finally make friends with my airbrush, this may be the build to do it. The 7TP has a multi-color that looks sprayed and would be difficult to do any other way.
EasternFront41
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 06:52 AM UTC
Very excited to start! This will be my first campaign since joining KitMaker. Picked up a Dragon PZ.Kpfw I Ausf.B just for this build!
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very excited to start! This will be my first campaign since joining KitMaker. Picked up a Dragon PZ.Kpfw I Ausf.B just for this build!

Welcome aboard! The Dragon kit looks great in the box, a good choice. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
Word of warning, Cody....These Campaigns are VERY addictive, sort of like Lay's Potato Chips...you can't eat just one!
Schwarzadler
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
About the Saurer, does anybody reads german? This is the caption bellow the picture.

Cheers

Raul

"Beginning of March 1941 we are in Germany again. At the military training areas Wahn and Ahrbrück desert warfare is practised. Shooting without maps, only with compass. New are the armored observation vehicles with VHF radio and additional portable radio."
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi,
About the Saurer, does anybody reads german? This is the caption bellow the picture.

Cheers

Raul

"Beginning of March 1941 we are in Germany again. At the military training areas Wahn and Ahrbrück desert warfare is practised. Shooting without maps, only with compass. New are the armored observation vehicles with VHF radio and additional portable radio."

I knew someone here would read German better than me, LOL...
supplyssg
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hey guys...long time follower of Armorama here - but haven't been an active builder for years. After a lot of procrastination and many couch recons, I have finally finished my dream hobby station and am eager to get down to business once again.
I've never participated in a group build before, so this will be a first for me. Hope I get it right! The Poland Campaign definitely caught my attention as I've always enjoyed modeling the early years of the war.
I've got the Tamiya Opel Blitz that I've been chomping at the bit to get started. I'm planning to model an impressed civilian Blitz with interior cab in commercial green, exterior over-sprayed in standard German feldgrau and up graded with the Army accessories of the period. Keeping with the early Poland theme I'd like to represent a vehicle of the East Prussian 1st Cavalry Brigade - thinking maybe a farrier's truck. Will that be Okay?

YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi Richard,
Welcome back to the fold. We've got all sorts of vehicles, planes and ships being proposed for this campaign. I don't think anyone has mentioned a truck up until now.

Here's my $0.02. Germany used a lot of civilian vehicles before and during the war so the use of a civilian truck, which is similar to the military version, makes sense to me. However since the German army used horse-drawn transport almost exclusively for their leg infantry throughout the war I would not expect much motorized transport in a cavalry unit. Then again, from what I have been able to learn so far, one of the three regiments in the first cavalry brigade was partially mechanized at the time of the invasion. Another thought is if the brigade had some motor transport would they have used it for farrier equipment or something with higher priority, i.e. ammunition or medical. I'm sure the liberation of a civilian vehicle to replace a broken wagon happened quite a lot. I don't know how much effort the Germans would put into bringing the civilian truck up to military standards, which could lead you to some options in completing the truck. A lot would depend on how long the unit had possession of the truck. So your request seems at first glance at least plausible to me.

The campaign leader makes the final call but I'm okay with it.
Again, glad you're back.
John
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Will that be Okay?

You bet! Your civilian truck would be most welcomed. I too am new to campaigns having just started them this year. I find them a great way to share my modeling interest with others and follow their builds. I have also picked up plenty of good tips to enhance my rather basic skills. All levels of builders are welcomed here. Another great feature of these campaigns is that they exert a gentile pressure on me to actually build rather than do sometime easier like vegitate in front of the boob tube.

Welcome aboard, we are only a week away from opening those kits and getting a start.

Paul
supplyssg
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi John and thank you.
Don't know why I really embarked on this Cavalry direction other than it seemed fit for this campaign. It was either Cavalry or an impressed fledgling Waffen SS Blitz. Having done some research on the Regiment I was quite surprised at the amount of motor vehicles the unit was equipped with -

Some statistics on numbers of equipment and armament of 1st Kavallerie-Brigade:

192 officers
6.492 NCOs and men
6.245 rifles
538 pistols
133 LMGs
44 HMGs
9 mortars 5cm
18 mortars 8cm
21 AT guns
- AT rifles
12 infantry guns 7,5cm
12 field howitzers 10,5cm
12 AA guns 2cm
6 armoured cars
- tankettes
205 cars (PKWs)
222 trucks (LKWs)
318 motorcycles
4.552 horses
409 horse wagons

Not a lot of down and dirty research material on this campaign, so figure there's a lot of artistic interpretation to play with here...which is a good thing in my opinion. As far as the commercial vehicle I plan to model it as the standard early version Blitz but with a non-panzer grey cab and with civilian tires from "Panzer Art" which by the way are absolutely phenomenal! East Prussia being cut of from Germany by the Polish Corridor at the time must have had to improvise to the extreme prior to the invasion I'd assume.
Paul thanks for a great campaign idea - it got me insprired to get back in the game again. Like to start one myself later with a Fascist Italy theme...but I'll cut my teeth on this for now before I get too carried away!

YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hey Richard,
Great info on the cavalry brigade. I had no idea they had so much motor transport. That's why I love these campaigns. I'm always learning something new.
The Italian campaign sounds interesting too. I have a semovente that's been begging me to build it for years.
John
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul thanks for a great campaign idea - it got me insprired to get back in the game again. Like to start one myself later with a Fascist Italy theme...but I'll cut my teeth on this for now before I get too carried away!

Glad to do it. I was thinking along the same lines for an Italian campaign. Please go ahead and do it, I'll sign up.
supplyssg
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hello all! Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving Holiday (well, at least our American members!} and have had their fill of turkey and family for the season...oh yeah, there's still Christmas yet!
John and Paul, glad to hear that you'd be interested in the Fascist Italian Campaign, so much so that I worked on a campaign ribbon this week, like to hear what you think. Will probably run with this when we wind down with Paul's Poland Campaign. Thinking maybe around April or so.

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/446137/ppuser/2050

But, not to get off topic here, I have two questions to ask the German vehicle experts here about the Opel Blitz of this timeframe.

No.1: I'm curious about the registration plate at the rear of the vehicle. What is the appropriate plate for a cargo truck in the German Heer at this time? The rectangular plate or the plate with the clipped top corners?

No.2 The Opel Blitz logo fastened to the front grill assembly is available in two different version. One is simply OPEL BLITZ on the plate and another is OPEL BLITZ on the same plate with an embossed stripe above and below. Is one an earlier version than the other? Does anyone know which would be appropriate for the 1939 Polish Invasion?

I'm sure some of you experts out there have got the answers. I'm pretty good with the Italian stuff but only mediocre with the German goods!

Well, just a few more days and we're ready to "Rock 'n' Roll" with this campaign. Just hope I can get this photo uploading figured out.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 12:58 AM UTC
Just a couple of thoughts about the proposed Italian Campaign:

The logo looks great in large scale. My worry is that once reduced to 50 pixels all of the detail might become a muddle. Try it and see what you think.

The other comment is just the mildest suggestion. Were you to broaden the scope to "Italy in WW2" you would allow in Italian efforts for the Allies. Also, the Germans took over Italian vehicles after the switch which would broaden the scope even further while still maintaining the focus on Italy.

No matter what you decide, I'm in. I have a number of these very interesting vehicles that want building!
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a couple of thoughts about the proposed Italian Campaign:

The logo looks great in large scale. My worry is that once reduced to 50 pixels all of the detail might become a muddle. Try it and see what you think.

The other comment is just the mildest suggestion. Were you to broaden the scope to "Italy in WW2" you would allow in Italian efforts for the Allies. Also, the Germans took over Italian vehicles after the switch which would broaden the scope even further while still maintaining the focus on Italy.

No matter what you decide, I'm in. I have a number of these very interesting vehicles that want building!

I agree 100%, and will be in the minute it's proposed ;-)
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 05:35 AM UTC
We start this Poland 1939 Campaign Thursday, coming right up! I'm looking forward to seeing your builds. Its gunna be fun!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 06:15 AM UTC
Since the 1/35 Polish tankettes are so small and share a suspension, I will be doing a TKS and a TK-3. The TK-3 kit even comes with all the parts to do a TKS as an option so I will have extra rivets.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC
Well, it seems a lot of tankettes will be built, so I'll go off the rail with a Steyr ADGZ (Fu)-bought this from a Ukranian store... served as police in the Danzig Corridor and as Radio cars on the Polish front...

Didn't date it but I promise it's 11/30...;-)
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hello all,

My entry for the campaign will be the Tristar Pz I Ausf A (Late). Here's my obligatory campaign start photo:

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since the 1/35 Polish tankettes are so small and share a suspension, I will be doing a TKS and a TK-3. The TK-3 kit even comes with all the parts to do a TKS as an option so I will have extra rivets.

Great, two for one! I'm glad to see we have choices in the model of this Polish tankette.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 09:59 PM UTC
We are off to the races folks! Let's bring back a little of the history from this time when the world fell into the biggest cataclysm it has even suffered. It all began with Poland 1939.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, it seems a lot of tankettes will be built, so I'll go off the rail with a Steyr ADGZ (Fu)-bought this from a Ukranian store... served as police in the Danzig Corridor and as Radio cars on the Polish front...

What an interesting choice! I have not heard of this kit maker before. Is the kit a good one or will you be facing some modeling challenges?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all,

My entry for the campaign will be the Tristar Pz I Ausf A (Late). Here's my obligatory campaign start photo:

Your Pz 1 is just right for this build, I look forward to seeing progress photos.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What an interesting choice! I have not heard of this kit maker before. Is the kit a good one or will you be facing some modeling challenges?

The company is Arsenal Model Group, I had never heard of it before, either, apparently they only do limited number runs. I got it at www.dnepromodel.com, a site I stumbled on that sells mostly resin AM sets. Looking over the kit and doing some dry fitting, it looks very good, 12 nice vinyl tires, some good PE is included too. I will keep you apprised as we move on!