Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Poland 1939
supplyssg
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC

WOW! Can't believe I got this pic to upload correctly on my first attempt.
Anyhow, here's my submission photo for the campaign - my first group build effort.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC
First Diorama

Here is my submission for this group build. I been wanting to build my first diorama for sometime and had an idea based on the invasion of Poland. So when this group build came up it was the push I needed to attempt it.

As you can see I haven't started work.

Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! Can't believe I got this pic to upload correctly on my first attempt.
Anyhow, here's my submission photo for the campaign - my first group build effort.

Yup, you did it and the pic looks great. I see you have a lot of extra gear to go with your truck. It looks like fun!
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First Diorama

Here is my submission for this group build. I been wanting to build my first diorama for sometime and had an idea based on the invasion of Poland. So when this group build came up it was the push I needed to attempt it.

As you can see I haven't started work.

Wow Mark, you have cut yourself out a piece of work. I have one of those Mini Art Panzer IIIs and they look complicated in the box. I haven't had the nerve to tackle it yet. With the Panzer 1 & the tankette you will have plenty for your diorama. I look forward to the progress pictures.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hey guys,
Time to get started. I am generally an OOB builder as well as a slow builder. But I am going to try to build two fairly small kits for this campaign.

First I want to build the gunnery ship ORP Mazur. The kit is Mrage Hobby #400202 in/400 scale. This ship was sunk on the first day of the war.

My second kit is the Renault R35. The kit is RPM #72212 in 1/72 scale. I got it off of ebay. The previous owner had started the kit by painting the interior white and installing a couple of interior pieces. Will this be okay? You can see how far along he was in the photo. The kit depicts an R35 used by 12 battalion pancerny in Poland 1939 so I thought it would be perfect for this campaign.

And we're off!
Templario
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:35 AM UTC
My model for this campaigns

Regards
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,
Time to get started. I am generally an OOB builder as well as a slow builder. But I am going to try to build two fairly small kits for this campaign.

First I want to build the gunnery ship ORP Mazur. The kit is Mrage Hobby #400202 in/400 scale. This ship was sunk on the first day of the war.

My second kit is the Renault R35. The kit is RPM #72212 in 1/72 scale. I got it off of ebay. The previous owner had started the kit by painting the interior white and installing a couple of interior pieces. Will this be okay? You can see how far along he was in the photo. The kit depicts an R35 used by 12 battalion pancerny in Poland 1939 so I thought it would be perfect for this campaign.

And we're off!

Two unusual choices, thanks for taking them on. I had no idea that the ORP Mazur was the first ship sunk in the war, an unenviable distinction!

No worries on the slightly started R35. I'm glad to have it in this campaign.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:30 PM UTC
Flavio - Welcome aboard with your armored car. I have a Tamiya kit of this vehicle in the pile someplace.

We're off to a fine start so far, what fun!
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC
Paul,
Distinction indeed. Here's a short excerpt from Wikipedia concerning the battle:

On the first day of World War II, September 1, 1939, ORP Mazur, commanded by Lieutenant Tadeusz Rutkowski, was in a port of Oksywie. At 2 pm she was at a pier, preparing to leave port, when she was attacked by German Junkers Ju 87s from IV./LG.1. The ship suffered one close hit and a hit amidships, and sunk still firing at the German aircraft. A crew member, although the ship was sinking, kept firing until waves washed him overboard: First Lieutenant Jacek Dehnel, grandfather of the Polish poet and writer Jacek Dehnel. About 40 of the crew were killed. She was one of the first two ships sunk during the war, the other was an auxiliary ship (divers' tender) ORP Nurek. The wreck was scrapped by the Germans.

She may have been obsolete, but she did her country proud.
Raulito
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi,

Here is my dated pic. I'll be starting right now.

Cheers

Raul

EasternFront41
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
Very excited to start the build! Ill be posting my unstarted kit picture tomorrow. This is my first campaign, so should I post my progress pictures here or is there a campaign gallery somewhere else?
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 12:45 AM UTC
You post your build pictures here in the thread as you go, and there will be a "1939" Gallery where you post your finished pics. Welcome aboard!
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 01:39 AM UTC
Here's the KitMaker Gallery link:

HERE

EasternFront41
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 03:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys!
Raulito
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi,
This kit is far away from a Dragon or Tamiya one, not a surprise anyway. All parts have some flash. You have to sand everything to get a proper fit.
Departing from instructions I join the two main body halves, first the right aft then the right bow. When the glue has set a bit I do the same with the left side. Put some tape and let it dry.

Part 4B is the radiator. I fill some ejection marks and sand the detail to be replaced with a much more accurate PE part.

Part 8B is the rear entry door. I will sand all the detail, also to be replaced with PE.

As I’m afraid that the poor fit of some parts spoils the seat of the model I start with the chassis and transmission parts. I really hate when the wheels doesn’t touch the ground at the same time.
So I prepare the parts for that matter. I spent a lot of time sanding and testing.

Of mention are the elastics and the wheels. Sanding the first was tedious as the Italeri molds seems not to be aligned at all and the mold marks was very noticeable to say at least. The wheels, especially the 8 rear wheels halves, were warped and did not fit strait out. Have to clamp each one and let them set apart to dry.

The transmission axe. If you fit it right away it bends. Easy fix but, come on!

Cheers.

Raul
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 04:32 PM UTC
I know very little about this campaign so was having a look to see if there were any vehicles on the Polish side that I fancy building as a change from building German stuff. We're not exactly spoilt for choice really. I did however find this site which is not only very interesting but very informative. It seems to be a pretty comprehensive guide to Polish armour and it's in English which is a bonus! http://derela.republika.pl/index.htm
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 08:18 PM UTC
Great link, Karl! Thanks!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:10 PM UTC
Karl, That is a great link, Thank you.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
My pleasure. If I find something that I think will be of use I like to share lol. I have a lot of time to do research so go off at all sorts of tangents searching. If I find anything else useful I'll post it
EasternFront41
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 03:59 AM UTC

Heres my entry! Cant wait to get start!
supplyssg
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 07:02 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing your rendition of that Dragon Panzer IB, Cody ... I built the Italeri version back in the early 90's. That one looks like it's got a helluva lot more parts than the ol' Italeri!
Raulito
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 04:51 AM UTC
Everything can go wrong building a kit so I prefer to do the most “dangerous” steps first. If you spoil it, you can move on to something else without remorse.

Ok, the engine vents that Italeri fails to provide. I study every photo I can get from internet or books at hand and based on that info trace the profile of the openings.

With my Dremel tool made holes and “join” them to make the openings. File the excess and when done I noticed that the left one was slightly bigger than the right. Enlarging the right one was not an option because it has the proper measures. So putty comes to the rescue, if you notice in the pics the lower part of the left opening is made with Tamiya putty. Hard to get flat and straight but I managed.

Next step the louvers. In a 1mm. plastic card I trace the openings profile, then with an Olfa tool make indents 0,8mm apart each. This will be the louver’s base. Glue this in the inside of the openings aligning them carefully.

With a 1mm. strip cut from a 0,3mm. plastic card make the louvers himself. I cut one by one in the proper length and glue them at roughly 45°.

I’m happy with the result. I think that after the paint and weathering work they will look much better.

Cheers

Raul
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:46 AM UTC
Raul - You are certainly having fun with your very interesting armored car. Is it an older kit?

Your vent shutters will certainly improved the look. Speaking of looks, at this stage of the build, the thing could easily be a space ship.

Thanks for showing the pictures top help us follow along.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:50 AM UTC
Cody - We are honored that you choose this as your first campaign. Welcome aboard and please feel free to share your progress pics right here as Raul is doing.

When you are all done post some pictures of your completed Panzer 1 on the gallery picture using the link John provided for us.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know very little about this campaign so was having a look to see if there were any vehicles on the Polish side that I fancy building as a change from building German stuff. We're not exactly spoilt for choice really. I did however find this site which is not only very interesting but very informative. It seems to be a pretty comprehensive guide to Polish armour and it's in English which is a bonus! http://derela.republika.pl/index.htm

An absolutely fabulous link. I have read some of the info and can see it will be a real asset when it comes time to tackle that &TP kit. It is going to need to need a lot of help . . .