_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Blitzkieg
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 05:46 AM UTC
Starting a diorama with a couple of Panzer II's from Tamiya and a bunch of German infantry loading up on them for a ride to the front.

here is the first tank

the figures are from lots of different sources and some conversions
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:09 AM UTC
Doug. This looks like a really good start to a great looking diorama. Your figures are going to be very nice! I'm going to follow this one. Might learn a thing or two about painting from someone other than JRutman for a change

Just kidding Jerry!!!, if you're reading this, but I can never have too many guys to get inspiration from....

Looking forward to the next update Doug.

DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:23 AM UTC
thanks Dave, and by the way everybody I am sorry I misspelled the title, but can not figure out how to change it.
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:55 AM UTC
wow! those figures do look damn good!
can't wait to see more
ciao
edo
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC
another guy on the tank

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 06:37 AM UTC
Fourth guy is looking every bit as good as the others Doug... yep, you're figures are some of the best around these forums! Great inspiration for us mediocre painters

Keep them coming!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:56 AM UTC
Ditto the above. Your figures are amazing!

As to correcting the title spelling just contact one of the Armorama guys like Jim Starkweather and they will usually make corrections like that as time allows.
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:15 AM UTC
next guy

DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:17 AM UTC
sixth man

Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:57 AM UTC
I really love all the subtle tone variations, especially in those German uniforms! Nice skills!

Kind regards
Steven
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 07:41 AM UTC
Beautiful work on the figures so far!! Even their facial expressions give a sense of tension about the battle coming just down the road. Fine job on the PzII as well. Looking forward to your finish on this one!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:52 AM UTC
Very nice painting, grouping, and poses. The figures appear as they should i.e., naturally riding on the tank and not just placed there by a giant hand! Great attention to detail all-round.

—mike
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:09 AM UTC
German cavalry scout riding along with the tanks
note that he is wearing the 1914 pattern steelhelm as seen in a lot of the pictures of the cavalry.
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
a black and white shot of the first tank and riders
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:15 AM UTC
Every time I feel as if I have made progress with my skills, something like this comes along and makes me want to quit again.

Those figures are amazing!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Every time I feel as if I have made progress with my skills, something like this comes along and makes me want to quit again.

Those figures are amazing!

me too Joe!

This Calvary guy looks better than most of my finished figures!!!

Well done Doug.
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hey, Joe! I completely agree with you!
Some other guys had to be banned form the site so that the rest of us will not fall into depression!
ciao
edo
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 06:02 PM UTC
Hi Doug, your figures are fantastic, what are you using to paint the faces??? Acrylic or oils. I cant wait to see this progress.
KevPak
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 06:38 PM UTC
Doug, your figures are fantastic and it always impresses me when a modeler can show individual characteristics on his figures.

However, you might want to reconsider the paint scheme on your Panzer II. If the title of your composition refers to the German invasion of Russia in 1941, the standard color for German tanks at that time was dark gray (Dunkelgrau) - it wasn't until 1943 that the changeover to Dunkelgelb as the base color (with Rotbraun and Olivgrun oversprayed as conditions warranted) occurred. Of course, vehicles in North Africa at the time of Barbarossa were painted in a sand yellow base scheme but they did not have the dark green overspray associated with the later war years (some vehicles had a very faint (almost unnoticeable) green overspray but that was the exception rather than the rule). Again, your figures are incredible but the camo scheme on the tank is a little anachronistic.
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Doug, your figures are fantastic and it always impresses me when a modeler can show individual characteristics on his figures.

However, you might want to reconsider the paint scheme on your Panzer II. If the title of your composition refers to the German invasion of Russia in 1941, the standard color for German tanks at that time was dark gray (Dunkelgrau) - it wasn't until 1943 that the changeover to Dunkelgelb as the base color (with Rotbraun and Olivgrun oversprayed as conditions warranted) occurred. Of course, vehicles in North Africa at the time of Barbarossa were painted in a sand yellow base scheme but they did not have the dark green overspray associated with the later war years (some vehicles had a very faint (almost unnoticeable) green overspray but that was the exception rather than the rule). Again, your figures are incredible but the camo scheme on the tank is a little anachronistic.

Hello Kevin
Thanks for your compliments and the info, glad you like it. Blitzkrieg in this case is a generic term used to describe the use of infantry quickly taken to battle on the backs of the armor that will support the operation they are being ordered to conduct, this is not intended to be any particular battle just a study of the man and the machine. I am not trying to make this a diorama of Barbarossa and the term Blitzkrieg is often used to describe lots of different battles.
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC
I am a bit confused though by the size of the tank compared to the figures.

Is it my eye or some kind of compression or something weird? I just don't see how the commander could fit inside the tank with a loader/gunner and driver.

I am not knocking the figures by any means. They are FANTASTIC and the painting of the tank is amazing. But even the guy on the horse seems a little out of scale.

Am I missing something?
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
the Panzer II was a very small tank and I am not sure that there was more than three guys in the tank, maybe even just two but the size is what I liked about the tank because I can fit two of them on a diorama that is still not too terribly big.
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:59 PM UTC
commander of the next tank
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
this is a Tamiya figure that I am converting for the next tank, I mixed up the legs from two figures and am doing a new left arm to make him work in the position I wanted. I use a two part epoxy putty called "Magisculpt"

Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
Those figures are amazing! You have great painting skills. What's your technique for painting faces? Also what make and colour do you use for the feldgrau tunic and the grey trousers?

Cheers

Matthew
 _GOTOTOP