Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Desperate Times at LeGleize.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange.....I'm only seeing some of the postings. For whatever reason, I'm not seeing any of Jerry's posts or Picture. Any ideas why? The same is occurring on both my Laptop and Smartphone.....

Yo may have inadvertently hit the hide user button on jerry's user info...?

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Strange.....I'm only seeing some of the postings. For whatever reason, I'm not seeing any of Jerry's posts or Picture. Any ideas why? The same is occurring on both my Laptop and Smartphone.....

Yo may have inadvertently hit the hide user button on jerry's user info...?

I never knew there was such a thing!! Thanks,
J
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:10 AM UTC
I think your on to something, how do I "UNDO" that.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:16 AM UTC
Figured it out....that was it. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:30 AM UTC
I can see, I can see. Jerry, nice work as always, I'll be following like I follow all your work. Model on!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can see, I can see. Jerry, nice work as always, I'll be following like I follow all your work. Model on!

👍🏻 Glad I could help!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:53 AM UTC
Haha! I have to laugh guys! The same thing happened to me at Jerry's 'Elbe' build a while back. Now here's my theory. ... Whenever we see one of Jerry's updates pop up on the radar, we get all excited and hurriedly start clicking and scrolling all over the place, thereby hitting that pesky little 'hide user' button as Dave said!

—mike
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 06:34 AM UTC
Jerry, there must be a weight limit that the parachutes can handle?
Dan
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry, there must be a weight limit that the parachutes can handle?
Dan

I'd say don't quote me on it.... cause I'm not sure where I read it, BUT...I think I read it somewhere that they were designed to carry around a 250 kilo limit...

Maybe someone else has a more trustworthy fact checking system...DJT perhaps?

panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:09 AM UTC
That's quite a lot of "stuff" in a container.
D
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 07:45 PM UTC
Nice to see you guys getting the thing sorted.
Dan,I don't know what the Germans did but I know our drops can be altered to conform to the weight of the payload. Multiple parachutes can be added to the load. I have seen them experimenting at Sicily drop zone at Bragg with giant supply drops from C-5's where they had 6 aluminum load pallets linked together with 6 cargo canopies attached ! And,of course,they used to drop Sheridan tanks on pallets as well.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:19 AM UTC
Got th first smock sort of how I want it. Still not satisfied. There is so much detail going on in one of these cammo suits in such a small space. It is a trade off with how much do you want to show vs how will that compute in 1/35 scale?

The face is almost done while the helmet only has a base coat.
J
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC
Once I got stuck in a detail filling sandbags for a dummy drop (I think it was called) for the Ranger BN at Hunter. Never had to do that for a tank company!
Lots of sandbags were filled.
Dan
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:13 AM UTC
Nice! He really looks like he's carrying a heavy load there. The smock obviously looks the part. I know what you mean about detail in such a scale. Sometimes getting all of the detail doesn't look good.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Once I got stuck in a detail filling sandbags for a dummy drop (I think it was called) for the Ranger BN at Hunter. Never had to do that for a tank company!
Lots of sandbags were filled.
Dan

I had my fair share of big and small crappy details. The worst one I ever heard of was from my first sergeant in Germany back in the 70's. He was a Vietnam vet and told me the absolute pits detail was "battlefield clean-up" his platoon got assigned a few times. Suffice it to say it involved lots of dead things.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice! He really looks like he's carrying a heavy load there. The smock obviously looks the part. I know what you mean about detail in such a scale. Sometimes getting all of the detail doesn't look good.

-Conor

If I tried to put in the detail at the end of the reversible sleeves where it looks kind of whitish then guys would think I was making a painting error. Here is an authentic late version smock,autumn side out.

For discussion purposes only from the awesome book by Larenzo Silvestri on waffenSS cammo uniforms.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:21 AM UTC
I did manage to get the rim of the smock and the opening for the tie laces to show some of the reverse side colors,like the real version here.
J
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:25 AM UTC
Looks spot on to me Jerry. Painting smock camo, whether it be plane tree or oakleaf, has to be one of the hardest things to master with figures. I'm finally happy with my pea dot but still trying to master smocks somewhat unsuccessfully. You've done that one mate. At some point you ought to do a step by step as to how you do it and what paints you've used. I've got Calvin Tans book which has been some help but not enough lol. Half the battle is the bloody colours for me. I've started picking up individual AK colours (cheaper than buying the SS set when I worked it out) on your advice as I wasn't happy with the VJ SS set although I did buy the M44 and Splittermuster sets. I've got about 20 SS figures to paint for my Hungary dio so hopefully by the time they're done I may have managed to do a reasonable job. Love the Jerries facial expression. He does have a look of fear on his face. I don't know how you manage it! Not only the execellent painting and unique construction but the conveyance of emotion on their faces. That's why I love looking at your work as it portrays the situation so well.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:05 PM UTC
Thanks a bunch Kurt for the inciteful response.
It has taken me a lot of experimentation to get the colors going here on that smock and someday I may be satisfied!
All of the colors this time were from the AK set except the orange which was Vallejo along with the greens around the edges.
The problem is,I have very poor memory retention for new stuff and so if I don't keep painting this topic,I will have to re-learn the colors all over again. It sucks but I am used to it at this point.
Thanks again for commenting bubba,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 05:09 AM UTC
I tried copying the smock more closely in the second guy here and am now more satisfied with how this one turned out. Still need the mud and weapons on both little dudes.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:13 AM UTC
I like them both Jerry, but I agree with you that the second one is better. I also like the way the new guy seems to be glancing over to the first dude, almost like he's wondering if the guy is pulling his weight!

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I also like the way the new guy seems to be glancing over to the first dude, almost like he's wondering if the guy is pulling his weight!

Wow! Now that you mention it. He also seems to be sneering. ... Who's pulling who?

As always, I really admire the fine paintwork and the attention to detail!

—mike
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... I also like the way the new guy seems to be glancing over to the first dude, almost like he's wondering if the guy is pulling his weight!

Wow! Now that you mention it. He also seems to be sneering. ... Who's pulling who?

As always, I really admire the fine paintwork and the attention to detail!

—mike

I think the first guy can feel the sneer too, he's trying his best to look away!

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:28 AM UTC
“Hey Hans, this one’s a bit light, d’ya think they’ve pulled another Stalingrad air-drop stunt and filled this one with condoms?”

(apparently a true story…or was that Arnhem?)
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:24 PM UTC
Dave,Mike and Tim,
I am happy you picked up on the interaction because this pic was really awful and blurry. I will try to get a better one going.
I just hope I didn't over reach on this one as I was trying to show the strain of pulling a weight while being scared and more than a bit ticked-off at drawing this crappy detail in the first place !
J