Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Crusader to Gazala Campaign
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 03:37 AM UTC
Alright my friends!

With less than 15 hours until Nov.18, I'm going to post my pre-build photos:

First, the Cyberhobby Pz. IIIg Orange-box edition with 5-bonus figures and Jerry cans, and who knows what else.

I've acquired some other figures that I may or may not use (and modify) recently:

I'm going to try to emulate the two-tone scheme used early when paint supplies were short as seen on this PzIIIg:

Looking forward to tomorrow morning!

Gaz
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 04:02 AM UTC
Where I sit it's a minute or two short of 24 hours until the 18th
All day Friday to get through first.
Need to get my a** in gear and set up an imgur account or something (since photobucket is NOT an option anymore)
/ Robin
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rory,
Fortunately, there are more options since Bronco has released some of the other British 'cruiser' tanks. There is also the Valentine by either Miniart or Tamiya.

Then of course there is a plethora of Panzers, armored cars, and lord knows what else.

Gaz

I tend to pick my kits based, in order, on:

A: How they look and for some reason I just have never been a fan of the earlier cruisers like the Valentine and A13. Though I do love me the later Crusaders and the Cromwell. If only the Crusader III had arrived in theatre a bit earlier...

B: If its a Sherman because I just adore them for reasons I cant explain and I cant get enough of them

C: Historical significance

I think I am going to take a loiter around my local store and see what jumps out at me. The SdKfz 222 is definitely an option and I was also thinking about a Kettenkrad. Sadly I checked and they don't have an 8-Rad in stock which would have been an ideal choice. Ultimately I think it will end up being the Matilda since its such a quirky looking tank.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:14 AM UTC
Technically as Libya is GMT +2 hours it is 4.15 am there on the 17th...so 19.75 hours to go...
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Technically as Libya is GMT +2 hours it is 4.15 am there on the 17th...so 19.75 hours to go...

Sorry, mate... I live on the Australian Calendar... Though I'm not likely to start the model at 12:01 am.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, mate... I live on the Australian Calendar... Though I'm not likely to start the model at 12:01 am.

WHAT!!! I thought you'd have the alarm all set, the coffee percolating and the bench dressed and ready to go ...

Okay, my choice... well Gaz's choice for me, as he talked me into it

Just thinking about the figure set, not sure yet as I'd have to convert the shorts for the time period.
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 12:08 PM UTC

I believe this is an F model Panzer III, based on the cupola design/shape?

About paint shortages - maybe? I can't tell from b/w photos, but two tone was the official desert scheme.

regards,
Jack
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 12:24 PM UTC
Dang, the place I got the pic from called it a G. I was going for the Panzer Grey/RL8000 scheme. I've not been overly lucky in finding good pics to work from.

Gaz
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hello Gary,

It might be an early G, I am building two G's from the S-Model set, one early, one late and my research shows that the early G had the same cupola as the F. To really clinch it you need to see the engine deck, the G had the raised air intakes. That said there were some early G's with the flat deck, it is a complex field and the various differences were sometimes difficult to discern. Look forward to seeing the build, the PzIII is one of my favourite vehicles.

All the best,

Paul
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hi Paul, you are correct about the cupola's being changed on the the G version later in the production run - same type as found on the Panzer IV.

The other detail that should indicate the F model is the driver's vision slot - the cover was vertical sliding. The G version introduced a pivoting armoured cover.

F version:

G version (here displayed closed):
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:44 PM UTC
Fellas, tomorrow I'm going to have a busy day so here's the KitMaker Campaign Gallery.

KM Gallery

And I'll Sticky the thread too.

Hope everyone will have a blast with this sandy and hot Campaign
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 11:01 PM UTC
Looking forward to this. I'll be starting Monday as I have now been scheduled to work 12 hour days over the weekend.

See ya soon!

G
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul, you are correct about the cupola's being changed on the the G version later in the production run - same type as found on the Panzer IV.

The other detail that should indicate the F model is the driver's vision slot - the cover was vertical sliding. The G version introduced a pivoting armoured cover.

F version:

G version (here displayed closed):

Hello Jack,

I forgot about the driver's vision slot, that again is a good indication, both my G's have the later slot (even though the S-Model kit comes with the earlier one and is marked as a G!). Nice photos by the way.

All the best,

Paul
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fellas, tomorrow I'm going to have a busy day so here's the KitMaker Campaign Gallery.

KM Gallery

And I'll Sticky the thread too.

Hope everyone will have a blast with this sandy and hot Campaign

John,
Thank you! I've added the gallery link to the first page.

Gaz
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 02:03 AM UTC
Guys,
Thank you for the info and great pics! Now I'm sure that I can't use that photo. My IIIg has the hinged visor. I spent a couple hours last night looking for a good photo of a 'G' with an interesting scheme. I don't know how many times I saw a pic I though looked interesting then noticed the wrong derive sprocket or idler or driver's visor. But, since I'll be starting with a base of PZ Grau, it won't impede my build progress too much.

Gaz
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC
So I took a wander around my local store and after much debate I narrowed it down to the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 222 or the Tamiya Matilda.

I went back and forth, indecision gripping me until finally.......

I bought both

I will be doing both for the campaign. Being Tamiya they will go together nice, easily and quickly!

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought both

A man after my own heart!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I spent a couple hours last night looking for a good photo of a 'G' with an interesting scheme. I don't know how many times I saw a pic I though looked interesting then noticed the wrong derive sprocket or idler or driver's visor. ...

... or wrong rivet? 🤔

Thinking of maybe joining this campaign somewhere down the dusty road ... unless I just got myself banned.🚫

—mike
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 05:01 AM UTC
I am really looking forward to the official beginning of this campaign, it has some super builds lined up. I have taken the pre-build photos of my proposed model (given the length of the campaign I might get another build in as well) which is the S-Model A13 Cruiser with Dan Taylor's Modelworks upgrades. The scale is 1/72 for those interested. Here is my starting point...

Some very nice decals in the box...

And a photo-etch fret...

The actual kit is quite simple...

What I am using to make it a little bit more detailed...

New wheels...

Hull side...

The detail set including new turret sides...

Quite a lot of work for a small tank, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Can't wait to start building.

All the best,

Paul
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I took a wander around my local store and after much debate I narrowed it down to the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 222 or the Tamiya Matilda.

I bought both

I will be doing both for the campaign. Being Tamiya they will go together nice, easily and quickly!

Excellent!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... or wrong rivet? 🤔

Thinking of maybe joining this campaign somewhere down the dusty road ... unless I just got myself banned.🚫

—mike

No bans! I'm not a rivet counter, but I want to be a bit closer. You know how it is, everyone has their own standard of "good enough".

I'll just have to get an "f" for later. That being said...I could do a WIF scheme based on similar vehicles.

I look forward to your build, Mike.

Gaz
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 05:42 AM UTC
Paul,
An interesting choice! I don't know much about all of these British cruiser tanks, so each build should increase my knowledge vastly.

Gaz
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:32 AM UTC
OK, the time has come! Here is my first entry into the GB. The Tamiya Quad Gun Tractor and the Dragon 25 pounder and limber. I'm also using some Eduard etch for the Quad and the Def sagged wheels for the Quad. I'll be using Mission Models paints paint scheme TBD. Looking forward to building this and seeing all the other great builds I anticipate will be part of the GB. We're off!

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:48 AM UTC
Cool, Joe!
Looking forward to seeing that great combo!

Gaz
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 05:50 PM UTC
Nice choice. I have the Tamiya kit so I will most interested as to how well this kit goes together.