Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Crusader to Gazala Campaign
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Thanks for the quick start and update. I find it interesting that they've gone to such effort to add detail for the gaming community.

Gaz

Hello Gaz,

The basic kit is designed for the wargames market, but the quality is very good and as we Braille Scale aficionados don't have any other models of the early Cruisers in 1/72 we have to make the best of what we have. The upgrade sets will (hopefully) make a basic kit into a display model, that's the plan anyway .

All the best,

Paul
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 05:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,

That PE really does enhance your A13.

Thanks Mark,

Dan Taylor does excellent upgrades and the PE sides fit perfectly, hopefully the rest of the build will go as smoothly .

All the best,

Paul
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 308 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 06:47 PM UTC
Ok here is my official start pic. I might get off to a slow start as I'm working on my King Tiger for Big Cats and it is deer hunting season but it will get done. This is the first Dragon kit I have ever attempted but I am very excited for the subject and am looking forward. I ordered the Panzer Tracks edition covering command variants of the Panzer III as a reference. Looking forward to watching everyone's build come along!
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 07:29 PM UTC
Construction of the Sd.Kfz 222 has commenced. As expected, being a Tamiya kit it has gone together beautifully, especially considering the dates on the sprues are from 1976. Minimal flash and very few mold lines. I am going to build this one OOB and not buy any after market for it but I am going to delve into the spares bin for some PE and stowage so hopefully it will come out looking good.

This is also the smallest vehicle I have built to date. I typically do tanks in 1/35 which are a bit bigger. Just for my own personal amusement I posed it next to my other current project to get a size perspective.

I love how the 88mm gun barrel is almost as long as the 222 itself
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hello Rory,

My word 1979, it just shows how Tamiya were well ahead of the curve even back then. It looks a neat little model and should build up very nicely, does the metal barrel come with the kit? Have you a plan for the paint-job, these vehicles always look good with a well worn Western Desert camouflage. Look forward to following your build.

All the best,

Paul
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Rory,

My word 1979, it just shows how Tamiya were well ahead of the curve even back then. It looks a neat little model and should build up very nicely, does the metal barrel come with the kit? Have you a plan for the paint-job, these vehicles always look good with a well worn Western Desert camouflage. Look forward to following your build.

All the best,

Paul

Comes with the turned metal barrel as well as photo etch for the turret mesh. It really is a lovely little kit.

Colour scheme wise I will be going for a worn desert camo with the German Grey showing through. I think I may also branch out and attempt a small vignette for it. Nothing fancy. Maybe a dusty road with some small rocks and scrub bushes.
PasiAhopelto
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:35 AM UTC
And here's my startup photo:

It's a Bf109F-4 flown by Hans-Joachim Marseille in February 1942.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 02:08 AM UTC
Bryan,
Thanks for posting your official start photos. There are a fee great pictures for references online for that variant.

Rory,
That's a great start on that armored car. I had no idea it came with a turned metal barrel. Looking forward to how it comes out.

Pasi,
Glad you are doing the Star of Africa's mount.

Gaz
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC
So I just happened to take a look a at the Dragon (6901) DAK Pz.Bef.Wg.III Ausf.H box art images (the tank that Bryan is building), and noticed that the turret is of a non-rotational type. I knew about the dummy gun, but it never occurred to me that since this was a command/radio tank, I suppose there was no need for the extra expense of making the turret rotate — looks more roomy as well.

—mike
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I just happened to take a look a at the Dragon (6901) DAK Pz.Bef.Wg.III Ausf.H box art images (the tank that Bryan is building), and noticed that the turret is of a non-rotational type. I knew about the dummy gun, but it never occurred to me that since this was a command/radio tank, I suppose there was no need for the extra expense of making the turret rotate — looks more roomy as well.

—mike

I didn't know this either. I've always sortta liked the picture of the one with the wooden gun.
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 06:24 PM UTC
[/quote]

Comes with the turned metal barrel as well as photo etch for the turret mesh. It really is a lovely little kit.

Colour scheme wise I will be going for a worn desert camo with the German Grey showing through. I think I may also branch out and attempt a small vignette for it. Nothing fancy. Maybe a dusty road with some small rocks and scrub bushes.[/quote]
@Rory

I've built this kit and it is truly a little gem! You'll have fun building it and weathering it. Looking forward to seeing it finished!
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 06:31 PM UTC
...and we're off!

Had some bench time this weekend, and here's some update photos. I'm using some Mr. Surfacer 1000 to add a little texture to the seats as they had canvas covers. Will dust and dirt them up a bit too.

So far the Eduard photo etch is working well. Fits perfectly. The chassis is mostly primed.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 11:02 PM UTC
Joe,
You're jumping off to a big start!

Nice work, looking great!

Gaz
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hello everyone. Got started on the DAK Pz.Bef.Wg.III Ausf.H last night. I must say I really like the Dragon plastic. It is quite hard, cut freely of the sprue tree, and sands cleanly. I am still waiting on my Panzer Tracks edition to show up in the mail. Made it most of the way through step 1. Sanded a lot of road wheels and assembled the suspension. Gary, I have only found a couple pics of this vehicle online. Where do I find the pics you mentioned? It is correct the turret was fixed in place. As was mentioned this probably freed up some space inside for radios. Also a rotating turret I think would cause serious issues if traversed while the aerial mast antenna (some this like 27' tall) was extended. This kit includes the parts to build the mast antenna fully extended which I am certainly going to do! Looks like we have some kits off to a great start. Happy modeling everyone.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 12:34 AM UTC
Paul, Rory and Joe, all off to great starts.

That A13 looks a gem, and about the same size as one

Yes the 222 is a great little kit. Tamiya engineering back then was better than some manufacturers do now. A bit simplistic in places, common for the times, but fit is superb.

Joe, the etch and the surfacer on the seats adds a lot to the finish already. Nice.

Gaz the more recent issue of the SdKfz 222 comes with the aluminium barrel and the etch, and it is noted on the box top. The original and subsequent issues had a styrene barrel and nylon mesh that you had to cut out and glue to a styrene frame, so if you plan on picking one up, make sure you get the one you want.

I am in the middle of a few builds, but made a start on the Diana anyway. Have taken a leaf from Robin's book and started the track clean-up. Do the mundane boring bits first so I don't loose interest later. That is his theory and it sounds like a plan to me! Not worthy of pics yet
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....Have taken a leaf from Robin's book and started the track clean-up. Do the mundane boring bits first so I don't loose interest later. That is his theory and it sounds like a plan to me! Not worthy of pics yet

Oh dear, what Have I done now .....
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone. Got started on the DAK Pz.Bef.Wg.III Ausf.H last night. I must say I really like the Dragon plastic. It is quite hard, cut freely of the sprue tree, and sands cleanly. I am still waiting on my Panzer Tracks edition to show up in the mail. Made it most of the way through step 1. Sanded a lot of road wheels and assembled the suspension. Gary, I have only found a couple pics of this vehicle online. Where do I find the pics you mentioned? It is correct the turret was fixed in place. As was mentioned this probably freed up some space inside for radios. Also a rotating turret I think would cause serious issues if traversed while the aerial mast antenna (some this like 27' tall) was extended. This kit includes the parts to build the mast antenna fully extended which I am certainly going to do! Looks like we have some kits off to a great start. Happy modeling everyone.

Bryan,
I'm at work, so I can't provide a link with my phone. But, if you google PanzerDB, you will find he has various albums with photos of PzIII. I'm pretty sure I've of those albums is just command III's just like yours. I have also seen the command PZ's in the other albums of Pz III.

Good luck,

Gaz
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 04:20 AM UTC
Peter,
Thank you for the Tamiya 222 info. Glad to hear you started on the Diana. I always try to clear the boring bits early, too.

Gaz
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 03:29 PM UTC
I had some time to check out images of the Pz.Bef.Wg.III while sitting in the deer blind yesterday evening. Your right! There are a lot of good reference photos! Of course most of them raised more questions then they answered. Thanks for the tip.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 07:37 PM UTC
Small update. Been busy at work leading into Thanksgiving so haven't had as much time to tinker as I would have liked.

Working on sprucing up the weapons system. Used some spare PE to add some texture to a few flat surfaces. Also used some Mr. Surfacer 500 to texture the chairs so they look semi canvas covered. Also removed the kit MG34 and replaced with a spare one from Dragon as its much more detailed. There is still work to be done but its a start.

Moving on, I am rather proud of my scratch built jerry can holder on the front of the hull. While it may seem like a small thing to more experienced modellers, its a first for me to actually build something and not go out and buy aftermarket. Using scrap PE frame and sheet styrene I think it came out looking very nice, especially once the cans are in to hide the imperfections.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:36 PM UTC
@ Joe and Rory, Nice progress, already! … And that jerry can rack looks great!

Cheers!🍺
—mike
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:41 PM UTC
@Rory,

That’s a nice kit. Good fun build, and it looks like its coming along well.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:48 PM UTC
Rory,
Some nice work on the gun. I like your Jerry can holder, too. A huge necessity in the desert. I wish there were more figures that actually have the guns crewed.

Gaz
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 12:33 AM UTC
Robin, it is only fair we swap tips. You have my Lego jig idea for chassis frames, I have your build the tracks first.

Looking good Rory. I hate say it though, once you start scratch building things, you can't resist doing it more in future. Be warned you are on the slippery slope

BTW, the turret seats were black leather, not canvas but your texture looks good for that.

If you want to be truly inspired look at this 222 build
http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18722

Something you might want to consider in future, German Jerry cans (and later Britich WD copies) had a noticeable seam where the halves were joined. Some manufacturers give you an etch piece to glue between the halves, but a thin piece of card trimmed to the shape works just as well.

..and the handle part has a piece cut out where it goes over the join

If you have ever held a 20L can, you would know this is not the way to get a drink out of one, a bath maybe, but not a drink
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/05/87/9a/05879ac3df0c08fbe8ea7ce8e23295bb--king-and-country-military-diorama.jpg

From Panzertracts 3.4 re the bolted down turret on the Befhelswagen:

"The Turm is bolted securely to the Bugpanzer (front superstructure).
A cylindrically formed Panzerschutz (armor protector)is on the front wall of the turret. A light metall casting Blendenabdeckung (mantle cover) is bolted over the Panzerschutz. The openings in the Panzerschutz on the right is for a M.G. Kugelblende 30 (ball mount) and the opening in the left for a Blendensehklappe (vision port)."

Also the extendable radio mast (Kurbelmast) was bolted to the floor and raised up through a hatch in the Turret top, so a rotating turret was useless when the mast was extended. The additional mast for the top of the Kurbelmast (called a schirmantenne) was in a vertical tube also bolted to the turret floor.

You will find some good interior pics in the Panzertracts book as well as nice pic of a H with the fully extended antenna array
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 01:18 AM UTC
A reminder, just in case: Don't drink from the unmarked jerry cans, they are for Benzin! The cans marked with white crosses are for Wasser.

—mike