Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Crusader to Gazala Campaign
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:58 AM UTC
Peter,
You da man! Thanks for that. Love the sun-shield camo, too. Certainly diorama-worthy.

Gaz
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 06:40 PM UTC
Peter,
Thanks for the photo! I was wondering if the cylindrical fuel tank was appropriate for use in this campaign. I don't think the Matilda used them in the field. If I choose to build a Crusader tank I'll use the cylindrical fuel tank.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:29 PM UTC
No Problem Don

and a follow up to that pic .... why we are all awaiting the Scammel Tank Transporters

Note. These pics were taken in Sept 1942. The disguises were part of Operation Bertram so don't fit this particular Group Build's parameters, hence my earlier slightly off topic remark.....
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:05 PM UTC
I'm amazed that they got a tank dressed up as a truck onto a truck.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm amazed that they got a tank dressed up as a truck onto a truck.

I think they opted for this combination since the other way around would simply have been far too strange: a truck dressed up as a tank on a tank

/ Robin
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...and slightly off topic, the Crusaders with 'sunshield' camo to make them look like trucks. Not the centre road wheels painted black to give the impression of shadow between truck wheels

This, this is why I love modelling and forums like this. The weird and crazy history that comes out is just amazing. Love it!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:51 PM UTC
Alright everyone,
Only ten days to go!
Gaz
SteveAndrews
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Gaz and fellow crusaders

I'm going to attempt to contribute to this campaign at the same time as I build a 1/32 scale Starfighter over on Aeroscale. I might just have bitten off more than I can chew, but let's see.

My idea is to build a small diorama featuring a Matilda tank and abandoned german motorcycle in the western desert, sometime in December 1941.

After a bit of research one thing became very clear; there were different versions of the Matilda with very different camouflage schemes operational during the North Africa campaign. So, if I want to get things broadly right I need to make some decisions and modify the kit. I hope what follows helps you guys too, and if its wrong, please tell me.

The Matilda went through changes to the turret stowage, glacis plate, track guards, tracks and external fuel tanks during its service in north Africa. In addition extra sand shields were sometimes added over the front and rear of the tracks. Perhaps more famously the camouflage also changed. Up until about October 1941 a tri-tone scheme called the Caunter scheme was used. In October 1941 orders were changed and a new monotone scheme was introduced, but as you can imagine, tanks in service weren't all repainted immediately.

With this basic knowledge gained from some fun hours spent on the internet I started researching photos. There are actually quite a few good shots some of which are also dated, and there’s some period documentation referenced in articles. I have to say that rather than clarifying things this actually confused me as the photos don't always agree with the articles. So, I made a few decisions that seemed to be right on the balance of probability:

1. An early type driver’s window without the extra armour to stop bullet splash. That means modifying the kit part by removing some of the moulding.

2. Early type rear fuel rack. That means discarding the kit supplied drum shaped tank and scratch building the very different style rack used earlier in the campaign.

3. Scratch building extra sand guards

4. Caunter camouflage scheme.

5. Kit supplied early type tracks.

Here are a couple of photos to illustrate the kit features that need changing:

The photo below shows the kind of rear fuel rack in service at the time. The rack was designed to hold fuel and/or water containers called 'flimsies'. They got their name from their tendency to break.

This is a nice colourised photo of a Matilda that shows some good weathering and also the range of clothing used by the crew - no shorts in sight!

Finally here's a lovely shot that shows some paint chipping. I guess this example was in service later than our period but its good for inspiration. I guess the colours are the original green showing under a stone/sand overpaint.

I hope that all helps guys, and I'm looking forward to this campaign.

Gaz I think I'm OK with a shelf queen right? My Matilda is started already.

Happy modelling.

Steve
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC
Steve,
Of course you're alright with a shelf queen. It'll be interesting to see how you weather it.

Gaz
SteveAndrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:52 PM UTC
Hey Gaz

Oh damn. No excuses now :-)

I'll have to try and keep both blogs going.

Have a great day

Steve
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:33 PM UTC
Great to see you on board Steve.

Don't get over exited about the extensions on the fenders, they were lost quite quickly. Here is a pic of 7 RTR Matilda's after the Battle of Sidi Barrani showing more missing than attached - and that was the year before Op Crusader...

Then

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205203643
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205205738
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207175

The second above has some more detail on the flimsy rack and no rear fender extensions - plus note a heap of blankets draped everywhere. Bung a blanket over the front and your additional armour is hidden.

The famous 'Phantom' of 42 RTR as it was for Op Crusader nov '41 - Weathering freaks dream...
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207171

and yes, not a hairy leg to be seen in any of these.
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:40 PM UTC
Great photo studies of the Matilda.

As for the lack of shorts, the desert does cool down at nights, and I imagine that it is more apparent during the winter months. Check out this monthly temperatures range chart for Tobruk:

http://www.tobruk.climatemps.com/temperatures.php

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:20 AM UTC
Jack,
Thanks for the temperature illustration. I fought in Desert Storm, and I can tell you that a desert breeze in the middle of night can chill to the bone if you're not dressed for it.

Gaz
SteveAndrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 05:19 PM UTC
Hey Peter

Thanks for the great insights and pics. I might have boxed myself into a corner already with the sand guards because I think I already started modifying some kit parts. I'll have to delve into the box.

As for those night time temperatures, that's great insight too guys and offers more options for the figures.

Got to love this forum.

Happy days and happy modelling.

Steve

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hey everyone,
Time has flown by! There are only seven short days until this campaign kicks off in earnest.

Need an excuse for a missing roadwheel?

How to hide your Matilda

Good pictures of Italian tanks are too rare. Love the way the dust and rivets look.

As usual, all images for discussion only.

See you soon!

Gaz

TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 06:37 AM UTC
Is it Saturday yet.

I pulled the directions out of the kit to make sure I have all the supplies I need for this build and it took all of the will I could muster to not start building. (In spite of the fact and have 2 other group builds still in the works.)

I'm looking forward to building this one and watching all of your builds.
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 07:30 AM UTC
I didn't get kits I hoped so I need to know which of these are ok;
1. Dragon 6392 - sFH 15cm howitzer
2. Dragon 6284 - 251 with 3.7cm PAK platoon commander's vehicle
I'm pretty sure from reading some of the info posted earlier in this thread that the 15cm howitzer was just about everywhere, but I'm less certain about a specialized vehicle like this 251.
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 07:51 AM UTC
I'm going to start off with the Quad Gun Tractor and the 25 pounder. I've pulled out the instructions on the Quad and marking them up getting ready to build.

Going to really enjoy building and watching all the other great builds I expect in this GB.

3 more day!

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 10:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it Saturday yet.

I pulled the directions out of the kit to make sure I have all the supplies I need for this build and it took all of the will I could muster to not start building. (In spite of the fact and have 2 other group builds still in the works.)

I'm looking forward to building this one and watching all of your builds.

Robert,
I'm glad to see my own barely-contained enthusiasm mirrored in you!

Gaz
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't get kits I hoped so I need to know which of these are ok;
1. Dragon 6392 - sFH 15cm howitzer
2. Dragon 6284 - 251 with 3.7cm PAK platoon commander's vehicle
I'm pretty sure from reading some of the info posted earlier in this thread that the 15cm howitzer was just about everywhere, but I'm less certain about a specialized vehicle like this 251.

Johhar,
I have seen this SdKfz 251/10 in a picture in Afrika:

They seem to have been made during the timeframe, but I believe in erring on the side of 'fun'. So, build away!

Gaz
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 03:02 PM UTC
Hi Gaz. That picture is of an Ausf B model, the kit in question is an Ausf C. Not sure when they hit the desert, but they were there. Here is a SdKfz 251/7

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 03:45 PM UTC
The first two models (ausf A and B) were produced in small numbers from 1939. Ausf A and B models can be identified by the structure of the nose armor, which comprised two trapezoidal armor panels - the lower of which had an engine cooling vent.
The B model, which began production in 1940, eliminated the fighting compartment's side vision slits.
The C model, which started production in mid-1942, featured a simplified hexagonal-shaped forward armored plate for the engine. Models A through C had rear doors that bulged out. The C model had a large production run, but was quite complex to build, involving many angled plates.

From early 1943, the D model was developed with the purpose of halving the number of angled body plates, simplifying the design and thus speeding up the production. D models can be easily recognized by their single piece sloping rear, with flat doors.

/ Robin

Edit:

This might be a more historically correct (IF that is important) kit start from.

In late December or more likely early next year there will also be nr 35101 from ICM which is the Ausf A

A C-version of the very first prototype production run might just possibly have made it to North Africa just in time to witness the last few days of Crusader.

McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Enlisted with a Dragon Panzer III L unless I acquire something British before I start.

Stick a British steel helmet on it and its fine

See earlier in the thread Rory. Panzer 3 Ausf L has been accepted already. The build is open to all sides and any vehicle, land or air, used in the campaign.

I am going to have to use another kit. I was planning to back date a Dragon III M since it has most of the J/L sprues included however after looking through the thread at the discussions regarding the III L and comparing to my kit I realize it can't be done. No side hatches and the wrong fenders.

Guess I will just have to go buy a new kit *Oh the Horror*

The question now is which one. I like the Crusader but only ones I can seem to find are the MK1 and the MK3. I could do the Matilda but seems a number of participants are doing that one. Not a huge fan of the look of the Valentine and M3.

Decisions, decisions.....
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:51 AM UTC
Rory,
Fortunately, there are more options since Bronco has released some of the other British 'cruiser' tanks. There is also the Valentine by either Miniart or Tamiya.

Then of course there is a plethora of Panzers, armored cars, and lord knows what else.

Gaz
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 03:10 AM UTC
Lots of choices. Just a few:

A10 Cruiser
A13 Cruiser
M3 Stuart Honey
Vickers Light