Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Got Wheels? Campaign 2020
iam2brb
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 10:12 AM UTC
Wow Oliver that is some great work!

Torsten, that sounds like a very interesting variant of the Dingo!
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 10:56 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Torsten

Olivier, looking sweet indeed. Funny how a lot of manufacturers are suggesting adding detail to major parts before the majors are assembled. Seems to be an easier way to show where the details go in instructions, but not much common sense for actual buildability.
PasiAhopelto
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 06:26 AM UTC
So here's my real entry:

The original selection's frame structure started to look to complicated for my fingers, although level of detail and instructions were excellent.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 01:33 PM UTC
Nice choice Pasi. Something out of the ordinary for sure.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 11:03 PM UTC
Got my DEF Model wheels yesterday. It's stunning how much they are bigger than the kit ones !
The details on the wheels rim is really sharp and are a true improvement over the kit parts.

Olivier
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hi all
here are the latest progress on this M-ATV. I just put the DEF Model wheels for the pictures. Buidling the front bumper has been a real pain: poor fit, too large PE parts to fit inside the bumper, poor alignment with the chassis ... But in the end, this step is past!

Olivier
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 - 07:53 AM UTC
A new series of pics. All what is missing will be added after the painted stage (antennas, IED jammers ...)

Olivier
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi all,
I forgot to mention I scratchbuilt the rack for the Duke system which Panda Hobby omitted. Based on pictures on the real thing, it is not perfect but should do the trick considering that the spare wheel will probably hide it

The rack alone

In place

Olivier
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 - 03:00 PM UTC
You are doing great work Olivier.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thank you Peter.
I was feeling a bit alone on this thread

I added the wiring in the hoses. Not perfect under magnification but it should do the trick.
For my mental health, I've decided to stop here and shift to the painting stage.

Olivier
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 02:08 AM UTC
awesome work, Olivier!

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 03:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Peter.
I was feeling a bit alone on this thread

If I answered every post you added, I would run out of superlatives Olivier!!! Just take it for granted I will be here drooling over every pic.. The work you are doing is just astounding.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 07:30 PM UTC
Ha ha Peter. I was just speaking of the other participants. There were some interesting models announced in the thread advertising the campaign that I would love to see here.

Olivier
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 10:01 AM UTC
Just to show you're not alone Olivier. An update on the Dana.

Whilst it comes with a basic interior for the cab, I decided there was little point adding it when the hatches are so small. No interior at all for the turret sections.

Lower chassis assembly almost done. Just a tip for anyone building this, don't be tempted to add the rails to the platform without having the bogie assemblies completed. You really need them to make sure the rails sit at the right position and angle or they will toe in - when in place the bottom of the rails is not 90 degrees to the sides... Note also fill required if you are bothered. I did it just in case.

Not sure how much, if anything, will be visible of the engine. At this stage I have only assembled what may be seen from underneath:

Some sink marks prevalent throughout the kit. Here are some examples.

and lastly, a bonus!!! I was going through a box with Model Kasten tracks I bought for an M113 that I am doing for another build. Inside I found some items I purchased at the same time, but the supplier put them in the Kasten box for mailing... and I had forgotten to take them out. This is one of them:

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 10:08 AM UTC
Since the first pic was taken, I have also filled the knock out marks....

Note the stowage box on the side covers some. Also note the hydraulic ram for the stabilisers. The kit only supplies them in extended position for firing position, so I cut them down so I can do mine in travel position. Technically, the armoured covers for the front windows should be open, but I did not think of that at the time.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 03:31 AM UTC
Good job Peter. A lot of ejection pin marks to be filled. This will be a huge beast when finished.

Olivier
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC
Beautiful detailing, Olivier!

I have finished construction on my AB43. A decent kit although it does require some sanding and filling on the superstructure which is made up of a lot of separate parts.

More to follow

iam2brb
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 12:21 PM UTC
Man the work youse-guys (Y'all here in Sunny South Carolina, USA) is just great stuff!

I have not had time to do much of anything with mine, my company is in startup mode of a foundry, so work had=s been a bear!!!

Hope to get back at it next weekend, thanks so much for sharing this!

PS - that Dingo is a neat idea! So ISAF, is that Afghan service?

EDIT: hey one thing to add. Is it just me, or does that Austro-Hungarian WW1 armored car have a hot-rod look to it???
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful detailing, Olivier!

Thanks Jesper. I like your build too. It doesn't look like you had some trouble while assembling it. Are the wheels already glued in place?

Olivier
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

....PS - that Dingo is a neat idea! So ISAF, is that Afghan service? ....

Bruce, yes, that ATF Dingo in ISAF Service was in Afghanistan. Maybe I can post a photo of the box later when I'm home again. But I won't start soon with it, as I have some other campaigns running before. Just look at my signature ....
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

....PS - that Dingo is a neat idea! So ISAF, is that Afghan service? ....

Bruce, yes, that ATF Dingo in ISAF Service was in Afghanistan. Maybe I can post a photo of the box later when I'm home again. But I won't start soon with it, as I have some other campaigns running before. Just look at my signature ....

This will be the kit for me. Have it for quite some time in my stash, so this is a good opportunity to build it ....

But as I said, it will take some time before I start it. And here is a GECON Dingo in Afghanistan.

Have fun!
Torsten
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jesper. I like your build too. It doesn't look like you had some trouble while assembling it. Are the wheels already glued in place?

Olivier

There are some gaps here and there. Small ones I can probably fill will plastic glue and maybe some thin plastic card.
The wheel are glued in place, but the tires are loose. Not a super fan of rubber tires, but these seem ok.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 - 11:42 AM UTC
Jesper:

I, too, am suspicious of vinyl and other soft "rubber" tires (usually some soft plastic, almost never actually rubber, as in natural rubber or latex, in model kits). And the Italeri products have some sketchy history and rep...

But, YOU may be getting a useful break here, if they are somewhat loose on their styrene hubs! This means that you can apply 2 or 3 solid coats of paint onto the hubs so that the "rubber" tires are completely isolated from contact with styrene. Which will go some long way towards reducing chances of the dreaded vinyl-styrene interactions and tire melt-down.

That, BTW, was exactly my experience with one of these otherwise cool Italeri Italian armored car kits... My rubber tires were somewhat loose, too, and I filled the gap with solid, well-dried paint layers before mounting the tires onto the hubs. No evidence of any tire melt-down nor of any rubber-styrene interaction since 2009!

Just a thought!

Bob
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 - 10:08 PM UTC
Looking great Jesper. I have heard lots of people say the AB 40/41's have fit issues. One of those vehicles long overdue for an updated moulding to be done.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 - 11:28 PM UTC
Torsten
I built this kit some times ago. If you're interested in you can have a look at my site to read the article about the assembly.

my GECON Dingo

Olivier